• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Unfortunately, it always rains in Wales when someone visits........;););)

Yes Dave. But at least he/she won't have to wait on Elephant Lane for the 'charra' to turn up, or have to push it when it breaks down near RAF Sealand!!;)

I'll be down your way next week for the Ryder Cup. Have you let your house out for the week???

Yes Dave. But at least he/she won't have to wait on Elephant Lane for the 'charra' to turn up, or have to push it when it breaks down near RAF Sealand!!;)

I'll be down your way next week for the Ryder Cup. Have you let your house out for the week???

We could of done as we are away from tomorrow for 2 weeks but couldn't be bothered with all the hassle. Also glad we're away as they are using Tredegar House, which is 500yds from where I live as a Park and Ride, so the traffic is going to be a nightmare.

We could of done as we are away from tomorrow for 2 weeks but couldn't be bothered with all the hassle. Also glad we're away as they are using Tredegar House, which is 500yds from where I live as a Park and Ride, so the traffic is going to be a nightmare.

I think that's where we are parking. We're certainly in one of the park & ride (at £20 a time!) car parks. aiming to get there just after 6am to beat the rush.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave

Probably the best organised such event I've ever been to. Shame about the weather, but luckily we picked one of the dry days!

TowncarT - On our August cruise we went to Liverpool but then opted for the side trip to Wales. We only toured the waterfront at Liverpool before we left for Wales. We had a wonderful time though and want to come back SOON! and stay longer. We appreciate all the assistance and time you spent 'chatting' about Liverpool on these post.

For those who are going to Northern Wales from Liverpool - it was beautiful. We went to through the countryside, stopped at the Ponderosa for the beautiful view and great coffee and scones, went to LLangolan (I think that's how it is spelled), rode the train, then went to lunch , sorry I forgot the name of the place then went to Chirck Castle. It was a great day.

Edited by cadixeegal
additional info

Hey Dave

Probably the best organised such event I've ever been to. Shame about the weather, but luckily we picked one of the dry days!

Glad you enjoyed yourself, saw the rain delays whilst we where in San Francisco. Have been told it was well organised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a heads-up for anyone visiting the Maritime Museum (free entry). If you are interested in the emigration from Liverpool to the New World, there is a superb exhibit, including a full-sized re-creation of a sailing ship accommodation deck, on the lower floor. Turn to the right as you enter the main entrance and go down the stairs. It's well worth a visit, but easily missed. I went in there last weekend specifically to see if it was still there.:)

Edited by Towncar T

• 1 month later...

Hi! We are two south florida usa couples sailing the british isles cruise on the QM2 in Sept. interested in whats to see and do in Liverpool. Any recommendation of private tour guides, any special beatles sights to see. Open for your expert opinion. Thanx Caryn

Hi! We are two south florida usa couples sailing the british isles cruise on the QM2 in Sept. interested in whats to see and do in Liverpool. Any recommendation of private tour guides, any special beatles sights to see. Open for your expert opinion. Thanx Caryn

Best thing for you to do, would be to read this entire thread, some excellent suggestions have been posted. Otherwise just enter Liverpool in the search function to see what comes up.

I really enjoyed Liverpool. The hop-on-hop-off bus takes you to many of the sites you mentioned- including where the Beatles grew up and the music school that Paul McCartney attended. Then you see various churches and remnants of the damage done during the war.

He may be a famous son of Liverpool, but he has left it behind. He now lives in Sussex.

WD

Hi. There is a whole heap of stuff to do in and around Liverpool. You can spend an entire day doing interesting stuff and not be more than a few hundred yards from the ship. Like Dave said, get yourself a large cup of coffee, sit down and read this thread right through. Then if you want any info on a specific aspect then ask away. Someone will come on to help. I can't recommend a specific Beatles tour, as there are so many and I've never been on one. If you post the sort of things you like to do then I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions on here. :):)

He may be a famous son of Liverpool, but he has left it behind. He now lives in Sussex.

WD

He certainly is a famous son of the city, one of a very long list (including your namesake). Yes he does live in rural Sussex but has far from left the city behind. He visits often and he supports many good causes around the area. The performing arts school he founded (with his own money) in the city has fast become one of the leading such academies in the world. His legacy to Liverpool, and that of his fellow Beatles will long outlast any of us and is an ongoing boost to the city in so many ways.:)

• 1 month later...

We'll be coming to Liverpool from Southampton on the train after a cruise in May. Can I have suggestions for a decent hotel (think Holiday Inn). We won't be in the hotel much, so it just has to be clean, not fancy. Is the area near where the train would come in a decent area to stay? Is it in the actual city?

I'm so lost and out of my element on this trip.

We'll be touring Liverpool for a couple of days, and then our son will be coming over on the ferry with his car (and family) from Dublin. Then we plan to do day trips to Wales.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186337-d1821830-Reviews-Base2stay_Liverpool-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

http://www.base2stayliverpool.com/hotel-overview.html hotel webisite

This is a hotel quite central to the station. Liverpool is quite a compact centre so everything is reasonably close.

2 minute walk to Concert Square & St. Peter's Square

2 minute walk to Liverpool One

2 minute walk to F.A.C.T.

5 minute walk to the Liverpool One bus terminal

5 minute walk to Chinatown

10 minute walk to ACC Liverpool, home of the Echo Arena & BT Convention Centre

10 minute walk to The Albert Dock and the River Mersey waterfront

10 minute walk to the Beatles Story Museum and The Tate Gallery

10 minute walk to Liverpool Lime Street Mainline Station

10 minute walk to Matthew Street and the Cavern Club

10 minute walk to the Anglican Cathedral

12 minute walk to the Commercial District

15 minute walk to the main Mersey ferry terminal

Short taxi ride to Anfield (Liverpool FC) and Goodison Park (Everton FC) football grounds (please allow time for busy traffic on match days)

To explore Merseyside’s many sporting and tourist attractions, there’s quick and easy access to public transport:

Short taxi ride or 5/10 minute walk to Liverpool Lime Street, the city’s main railway station

Merseyrail service from Liverpool Central Metro station, two minutes walk from the hotel, takes less than 15 minutes to Liverpool South Parkway station, with the free shuttle bus service taking only 10 minutes to the airport

Regular buses to and from Liverpool John Lennon Airport - 86A, 80A, 82A, 82B, Arriva AirLink 500 from the main Liverpool One Bus Terminal, a 5 minute walk from the hotel

Hope this helps, we stayed here regularly whilst our son was at university in the city.

Edited by poet123

Thank you..we just sent an email to book here. I found it on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186337-d1821830-Reviews-Base2stay_Liverpool-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

http://www.base2stayliverpool.com/hotel-overview.html hotel webisite

This is a hotel quite central to the station. Liverpool is quite a compact centre so everything is reasonably close.

2 minute walk to Concert Square & St. Peter's Square

2 minute walk to Liverpool One

2 minute walk to F.A.C.T.

5 minute walk to the Liverpool One bus terminal

5 minute walk to Chinatown

10 minute walk to ACC Liverpool, home of the Echo Arena & BT Convention Centre

10 minute walk to The Albert Dock and the River Mersey waterfront

10 minute walk to the Beatles Story Museum and The Tate Gallery

10 minute walk to Liverpool Lime Street Mainline Station

10 minute walk to Matthew Street and the Cavern Club

10 minute walk to the Anglican Cathedral

12 minute walk to the Commercial District

15 minute walk to the main Mersey ferry terminal

Short taxi ride to Anfield (Liverpool FC) and Goodison Park (Everton FC) football grounds (please allow time for busy traffic on match days)

To explore Merseyside’s many sporting and tourist attractions, there’s quick and easy access to public transport:

Short taxi ride or 5/10 minute walk to Liverpool Lime Street, the city’s main railway station

Merseyrail service from Liverpool Central Metro station, two minutes walk from the hotel, takes less than 15 minutes to Liverpool South Parkway station, with the free shuttle bus service taking only 10 minutes to the airport

Regular buses to and from Liverpool John Lennon Airport - 86A, 80A, 82A, 82B, Arriva AirLink 500 from the main Liverpool One Bus Terminal, a 5 minute walk from the hotel

Hope this helps, we stayed here regularly whilst our son was at university in the city.

http://www.pooloflifetours.com/#/bea...our/4543393385

Has anyone done the Pool of Life Tours Beatles tour. At £98, it seems very expensive. But this guy Tim seems to get amazing reviews for it on Trip Advisor. I wonder if, for the casual Beatles fan, the Beatles Story Museum would suffice.

I think unless you are an ardent fan, it seems very expensive and that the museum would suffice, or perhaps this would be a good add on;

http://www.beatlestour.org/index.php/tour-info/times

Much cheaper too;)

I think unless you are an ardent fan, it seems very expensive and that the museum would suffice, or perhaps this would be a good add on;

http://www.beatlestour.org/index.php/tour-info/times

Much cheaper too;)

Thanks. That's what I thought. The same company does a 3-hour tour for £20 per person (I would pay the £5 per person to avoid the big bus and do this private) and then we could add on The Beatles Story for £12.95 and still have time during the day to see and do other things. I like the Beatles (also a big fan of The Who) but that £98 and the full day might be a bit over-the-top.

Edited by hubofhockey

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all those who have posted here, especially TownCar. We'll be there in May on the Rotterdam (only for one day :confused:) and wanted to do a walking tour. You have graciosly provided plenty of information for us to fill our day. Now I can't wait to see the city you so evidently love.

Maureen

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all those who have posted here, especially TownCar. We'll be there in May on the Rotterdam (only for one day :confused:) and wanted to do a walking tour. You have graciosly provided plenty of information for us to fill our day. Now I can't wait to see the city you so evidently love.

Maureen

You're very welcome, Maureen. Whilst I can't guarantee warm weather here, I can definitely guarantee a warm Liverpool welcome. Enjoy your day. I have my own friends coming over from Florida in June and look forward to showing off my city, region and indeed my country to them. I hope you have a great time.

T:)

Another thanks here. We will be there the 21st - 25th of May and thanks to all the info here, it was pretty painless to figure everything out!

Doris

That's great to hear too. If you need any more info before your trip, just ask.:)