• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hiya Towncar,

Walking from Albert Dock to The Cavern Club. Doable?

Do I have to cross a few lanes of traffic? Or is it an easy stroll? It looks to be a 1/2 mile. Thanks! :D

Strand St which runs along the front, is a few lanes of traffic, but it as a pedestrian crossing, so getting across won't be a problem. The rest of the route is just normal streets.

Hiya Towncar,

Walking from Albert Dock to The Cavern Club. Doable?

Do I have to cross a few lanes of traffic? Or is it an easy stroll? It looks to be a 1/2 mile. Thanks! :D

The walk from The Albert Dock is really easy, unless of course you have walking difficulties. It's approximately a 10 minute stroll. Dave is right, in that you have to cross The Strand via one of the many pedestrian crossings and then probably turn up James Street and left onto Castle Street. Matthew Street is off Castle Street on the right hand side, and the club is on the right as you go down. You probably already know that it's not the original club, but I am told that it is a faithful recreation. I know many people who played at the original and they said the new club is just like the old one, except that it smells better!!

If you fancy a really good coffee when in that area, go around to Lord Street and visit Rococo's. Ironically, I was introduced to the place by an American visitor. Great coffee and a good place to people watch from the first floor windows.:)

What date are you guys in town?

Edited by Towncar T

Thanks so much!

I do know we'll be spending some time wandering around Albert Dock and definitely doing the Maritime Museum. After that, I wasn't sure if I should do a HOHO bus in town or simply stroll around (easier said than done, I'm sure.) The Cavern Club seemed like a neat photo op, even though it's not truly the original one. And I have my eye out for Super Lamb Banana which cracks me up. :D

We'll be there on Wednesday, May 30th. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

I do know we'll be spending some time wandering around Albert Dock and definitely doing the Maritime Museum. After that, I wasn't sure if I should do a HOHO bus in town or simply stroll around (easier said than done, I'm sure.) The Cavern Club seemed like a neat photo op, even though it's not truly the original one. And I have my eye out for Super Lamb Banana which cracks me up. :D

We'll be there on Wednesday, May 30th. :rolleyes:

Those super lamb bananas are dotted around the place, although they keep auctioning them off for charity.

Strolling around town is fairly easy. Try to get to St George's Hall if you have the time. It's a stunning building. It's probably a 10 minute walk from The Cavern.

Those super lamb bananas are dotted around the place, although they keep auctioning them off for charity.

Strolling around town is fairly easy. Try to get to St George's Hall if you have the time. It's a stunning building. It's probably a 10 minute walk from The Cavern.

Will do. Thanks!

Just visited the new Museum of Liverpool, which is on the Pier Head itself, just about 200 yards from where the cruise ships dock. The museum is ideal for tourists who want to get a quick snippit of Liverpool's history, whilst not spending too much time out of their day. For those with an interest in the Beatles, there is a free show that runs regularly throughout the day. Tickets can be obtained from the welcome desk in the foyer. We didn't see it, as we were too late in the day, so I can't comment on how good it is. Worth a visit, in my opinion, but don't plan on spending more than an hour there, plus the show. The Maritime Museum is a million times better than this one, if you plan on doing just one museum. Of course, that's just my opinion.:)

Here is a list of known cruise ships visiting Liverpool this year. If anyone knows of any others then please post on this thread. The list was taken from the Liverpool City Council website.

Cruise Calendar 2012

The calendar below shows which ships will be docking in Liverpool Cruise Terminal:

Date Vessel No. of passengers Cruise line

5 April 2012 Balmoral 1340 Fred Olsen

15 April 2012 Marco Polo 848 Cruise & Maritime Services

16 April 2012 Saga Pearl 512 Saga

17 May 2012 Vision of the Seas 2416 Royal Caribbean

29 May 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

30 May 2012 Caribbean Princess 3114

06 June 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

11 June 2012 Caribbean Princess 3114 Princess

14 June 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

16 June 2012 Aida Cara 1180 Aida

18 June 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

22 June 2012 Arcadia 866 P&O

30 June 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

3 July 2012 Saga Sapphire 700 Saga

12 July 2012 Caribbean Princess 3114 Princess

20 July 2012 Prinsendam 766 Holland America

28 July 2012 Quest for Adventure 450 Saga

3 August 2012 Queen Elizabeth 2014 Cunard

5 August 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

8 August 2012 Astor 590 TBC

9 August 2012 Carribbean Princess 3114 Princess

10 August 2012 Adonia 710 P&O

13 August 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

17 August 2012 Prinsendam 766 Holland America

20 August 2012 Aida Cara 1180 Aida

13 September 2012 Albatross 800 Phoenix Reisen

14 September 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

23 September 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

27 Oct0ber 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

29 May 2012 Ocean Countess 800 Cruise & Maritime Services

Hi Towncar,

Once we do the Albert Dock stuff, would you suggest doing "town" on foot? Or a HoHo bus? What other highlights would you recommend for those not doing long ship excursions?

Liverpool seems so friendly and I figured that's our "casual" day to do things at our own pace.

Hi Towncar,

Once we do the Albert Dock stuff, would you suggest doing "town" on foot? Or a HoHo bus? What other highlights would you recommend for those not doing long ship excursions?

Liverpool seems so friendly and I figured that's our "casual" day to do things at our own pace.

There really is such a lot to do in central Liverpool, that you can't fit in everything. Personally, I wouldn't do the HoHo bus in Liverpool, unless I had walking difficulties.

What I would suggest would be to get up early and maybe take the ferry across to the other side of the Mersey and back. At that time of day it won't be the hour-long tour, but to be honest, that's really not necessary when you have limited time. You get your ferry tickets right there in the terminal building on the Pier Head, to the right (about 200 yards) as you disembark.

You can get wonderful pictures of the waterfront from the ferry, with your ship right there alongside it. That will be one of the best photographs of your cruise.

After that, I would perhaps pay a quick visit to the Liverpool museum right there on the waterfront again. (it opens at 10am). Don't stay there too long, an hour tops!

Then do Albert Dock, and especially the Maritime Museum. Don't miss the Titanic exhibits and the story of emigration (in the basement). Remember that 9 million people left this city en route to the New World.

After the Albert Dock area, you could walk up to Matthew Street and see some Beatles stuff. After that, I would try to get up to see St George's Hall. It's my favourite Liverpool building, and a real treat. The entrance to the Heritage Centre is on St John's Lane.

Best off all, every attraction I have mentioned is free to enter.

One thing you might do differently is to miss out the visit to the Museum of Liverpool at the start, and go there on the way back to the ship if you have time. It closes at 5pm.

If I'm around the city that day, I might pop along and say hello.:)

That all sounds fantastic! Thank you! :)

I think I should be able to hook up with you on that day if you would like a tour guide in the afternoon. Let me know your email address and I'll email you my cell phone number, if you want.:)

I think I should be able to hook up with you on that day if you would like a tour guide in the afternoon. Let me know your email address and I'll email you my cell phone number, if you want.:)

Actually, it looks like I might now be playing golf that afternoon. Hope you have a great time in 'The Pool':)

• 3 weeks later...

Great news that cruises will now be able to start and finish at the new cruise terminal at the Pier Head. This will be a huge boost for the city and will enhance the cruise experience for many. I can't wait for the first cruises to be sailing in and out of the new terminal, and I will definitely be looking forward to doing one myself.:D

Wow!

Our little thread just broke through 25,000 views!! I know it's no world record, but I'm really glad that people seem to be finding it useful. Hopefully, more people will come and visit the thread once we get more and more cruises sailing out of Liverpool. Thanks to everyone that's looked in.:D

• 3 weeks later...
Dear TowncarT,

You made our stop in Liverpool an unforgettable one! All thanks to your posts! Proof here....

IMG_0465.jpg

Once I finish the Liverpool section of my trip report, I'll also post it here. ;)

That's fantastic to hear. I hope you spread the word about us. Liverpool is a city on the up and it's great to have so many visitors. The video you posted was either deleted or moved (presumably by CC staff?). Is there another link to it? Maybe Youtube?

I hope you get back to see us for a longer visit sometime. I didn't get to see your ship, as unfortunately I was ill and had to spend some time in hospital. Still, it looks like we will be getting even more cruise ships in the future, thanks to the permission being granted for the new turn-around terminal at the Pier Head. I hope to cruise from Liverpool some time soon, following in the wake of so many Liverpool mariners, including my dad.:)

Gurrr, it looks like the links to my Liverpool photos arent working.

Liverpool album: http://photobucket.com/cruiseliverpool

Regardless, here is my trip report about our day in your town. I gave you much credit!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34177791&postcount=84

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Gurrr, it looks like the links to my Liverpool photos arent working.

Liverpool album: http://photobucket.com/cruiseliverpool

Regardless, here is my trip report about our day in your town. I gave you much credit!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34177791&postcount=84

Thanks for the mention, but moreover thanks for the great review of our city. I told you you'd love it!! Come back soon!!:)

We won't be in Liverpool until next year, but I've just read your whole thread as part of my planning process. What a wonderful resource! And how great of you all to take the time to share this information. Wouldn't it be great if there were people like you in all the cruise ports of the world? I am so looking forward to my visit to your wonderful city. Thanks for all the great information you've provided.

TowncarT, we'll be there on Saturday, May 18, 2013, can you have a chat with your weather gods? Sunshine would be lovely--the better to enjoy your wonderful town. :D

We won't be in Liverpool until next year, but I've just read your whole thread as part of my planning process. What a wonderful resource! And how great of you all to take the time to share this information. Wouldn't it be great if there were people like you in all the cruise ports of the world? I am so looking forward to my visit to your wonderful city. Thanks for all the great information you've provided.

TowncarT, we'll be there on Saturday, May 18, 2013, can you have a chat with your weather gods? Sunshine would be lovely--the better to enjoy your wonderful town. :D

LOL!! Now you are asking the impossible!! This 'Green and pleasant land' is green for a reason!!

I will be meeting friends off your ship on that day, so they will get the personalised tour from my wife and I. If you think of any questions in the next 11 months then just ask away. if I can't answer it then I'm sure somebody else will. We're a friendly lot here in 'The Pool.':)

Towncar T, we will be coming into Liverpool for the day next year on the Celebrity Infinity. We'd like to basically walk to the sights versus doing a tour or using the HOHO bus. DH likes the Beatles, but we don't need a Beatles centric tour, just maybe one or two stops. We like museums and architecture, and maybe a good pub/restaurant to enjoy for lunchtime. What kind of walking route can you suggest that might occupy 4-6 hours? :) Let me know if you need any more info.

Towncar T, we will be coming into Liverpool for the day next year on the Celebrity Infinity. We'd like to basically walk to the sights versus doing a tour or using the HOHO bus. DH likes the Beatles, but we don't need a Beatles centric tour, just maybe one or two stops. We like museums and architecture, and maybe a good pub/restaurant to enjoy for lunchtime. What kind of walking route can you suggest that might occupy 4-6 hours? :) Let me know if you need any more info.

Hiya. Fancy seeing you on this thread.;)

I suggested a tour for Delorean Girl a way back, and she seemed really pleased with it after she did it. It's detailed on post number 336 above, with some extra detail of how to get to Matthew Street in post 329.

You will have no shortage of museums and architecture in Liverpool, despite Mr Hitler's best efforts!! (All a long time ago!). You definitely need to see St George's Hall. If it were in London, Paris or Rome, it would be much more famous than it is. When walking back to the ship, take the route down William Brown Street (alongside St George's Hall) to see some wonderful architecture and also catch a glimpse of the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel.

We can add some more detail to your route as the year goes on. I am actually taking some friends from your ship on a tour of The Pool that very same day you are here, so we may very well bump into you.:) Hope that helps for now.

Others will tell you of other must-sees in Liverpool, and I wouldn't argue with them (our two wonderful cathedrals for instance) but it simply isn't possible to properly see everything. However, if you weren't really bothered about say the Beatles and wanted more architecture, you could miss out the Matthew Street part and maybe walk up to the two cathedrals. That would use up a bit of time (unless you took an inexpensive cab ride). You can decide. I think that with the various sights I have suggested, you can easily use up 6 hours in the city, depending on how much time you stay at each location.:)