• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hiya. Fancy seeing you on this thread.;)

I suggested a tour for Delorean Girl a way back, and she seemed really pleased with it after she did it. It's detailed on post number 336 above, with some extra detail of how to get to Matthew Street in post 329.

You will have no shortage of museums and architecture in Liverpool, despite Mr Hitler's best efforts!! (All a long time ago!). You definitely need to see St George's Hall. If it were in London, Paris or Rome, it would be much more famous than it is. When walking back to the ship, take the route down William Brown Street (alongside St George's Hall) to see some wonderful architecture and also catch a glimpse of the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel.

We can add some more detail to your route as the year goes on. I am actually taking some friends from your ship on a tour of The Pool that very same day you are here, so we may very well bump into you.:) Hope that helps for now.

Others will tell you of other must-sees in Liverpool, and I wouldn't argue with them (our two wonderful cathedrals for instance) but it simply isn't possible to properly see everything. However, if you weren't really bothered about say the Beatles and wanted more architecture, you could miss out the Matthew Street part and maybe walk up to the two cathedrals. That would use up a bit of time (unless you took an inexpensive cab ride). You can decide. I think that with the various sights I have suggested, you can easily use up 6 hours in the city, depending on how much time you stay at each location.:)

You rule. Thank you. I will look over that route and see if it works. Thanks my friend! :D

We were in Liverpool as part of the May 26 cruise - have a wonderful time - took the HOHO for 5GBP when we got off the ship and got to tour around the city. We got off the HOHO close to Princes Rd as we had booked to tour the Princes Road Synagogue which is over 120 years old. As we arrived after the start of the 10:30 tour and before the 11:30 tour, the person responsible for tours took the three of us on a private tour [tours are booked in advance from their web site - cost 4GBP per person]. It turns out that she has been involved there for her entire life and provided plenty of personal insights. The architecture inside was wonderful to see. When we were about to leave, another person from the synagogue offered us a ride back to "downtown" as she was heading for her own appointment at the other end of the city -- wonderful people and a wonderful tour. In the afternoon we did the Beatles tour with 4 others from the ship coordinated by the owner of the Beatles shop at the Hard Day's Night Hotel near the site of the Cavern Club - the tour was wonderful [seeing all 4 boyhood homes, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Elenor Rigby tombstone, and other sites] - and based on how the timing was, the driver took us right back to the ship as apposed to dropping us off where we started. Liverpool and its people were wonderful.

We were in Liverpool as part of the May 26 cruise - have a wonderful time - took the HOHO for 5GBP when we got off the ship and got to tour around the city. We got off the HOHO close to Princes Rd as we had booked to tour the Princes Road Synagogue which is over 120 years old. As we arrived after the start of the 10:30 tour and before the 11:30 tour, the person responsible for tours took the three of us on a private tour [tours are booked in advance from their web site - cost 4GBP per person]. It turns out that she has been involved there for her entire life and provided plenty of personal insights. The architecture inside was wonderful to see. When we were about to leave, another person from the synagogue offered us a ride back to "downtown" as she was heading for her own appointment at the other end of the city -- wonderful people and a wonderful tour. In the afternoon we did the Beatles tour with 4 others from the ship coordinated by the owner of the Beatles shop at the Hard Day's Night Hotel near the site of the Cavern Club - the tour was wonderful [seeing all 4 boyhood homes, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Elenor Rigby tombstone, and other sites] - and based on how the timing was, the driver took us right back to the ship as apposed to dropping us off where we started. Liverpool and its people were wonderful.

Thanks so much for sharing that. The sort of warmth you encountered doesn't surprise me in the least, and from so many diverse people. We're not perfect by any means, but I have yet to encounter a more welcoming city than my own, and long may it be so. It's great to hear it first hand from our visitors. Quite brings a tear to my eye. :)

Towncar T: As you can see by my signature, I am a planner too :D The port for Liverpool is one of the main reasons for choosing the cruise I did :D .... I am looking at the time we are supposed to be in port -- 4am to 3pm Tuesday, August 20, 2013. (yes, a while yet :D) ... So, my question is -- I really want to do "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey"....I just want to be on it....no "need" for a tour. Can we just walk from the ship and do a round trip fairly early that morning? I would guess about 5 am? Then, we can be back and do Beatles, Titanic, historic, perhaps the Duck Tour kind of stuff....would that make sense to get the most out of our early arrival time? (Unless it changes between now and then :confused:)... thank you for your time!!

Towncar T: As you can see by my signature, I am a planner too :D The port for Liverpool is one of the main reasons for choosing the cruise I did :D .... I am looking at the time we are supposed to be in port -- 4am to 3pm Tuesday, August 20, 2013. (yes, a while yet :D) ... So, my question is -- I really want to do "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey"....I just want to be on it....no "need" for a tour. Can we just walk from the ship and do a round trip fairly early that morning? I would guess about 5 am? Then, we can be back and do Beatles, Titanic, historic, perhaps the Duck Tour kind of stuff....would that make sense to get the most out of our early arrival time? (Unless it changes between now and then :confused:)... thank you for your time!!

Hi. The ferries don't start running from the Pier Head until 7.30am, but the round trip only takes about 20 minutes. The timetable and info is here:

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/Content/Cruises/RiverExplorerCruises/CompleteTimetable.aspx

Nothing much is open in the city that early, and all of the main tourist attractions seem to open at 10am. If you are content to just walk and look at the outside of buildings for a couple of hours, you could perhaps walk up past the White Star headquarters (Titanic offices), then maybe walk up past the Town Hall, along to William Brown Street to see the stunning buildings there. Take a look at St George's Hall from the outside (absolutely worth a look). Then maybe take a walk along Lime Street and Ranelagh Street until you get to St Luke's (We call it the bombed-out church) that serves a s a memorial to the Liverpool Blitz of the second world war. Then walk down Bold Street and through Church Street/Lord Street, taking a detour through Matthew Street if you are interested in the Beatles, then past the Victoria monument before heading down James Street. At the end of James Street you will see the White Star headquarters (Titanic offices) where the announcement of the Titanic sinking was first announced.

My reckoning is that a reasonable stroll around that loop would take approximately 2 hours or so. You could either do it before or after taking the ferry. Personally, I think 5am might be a bit early to go into the city, as everywhere will be closed and you won't encounter many people (that's part of the fun here). I think I would do the 7.30 ferry, then do the loop I suggest (or a better one if somebody else here wants to chip in with a few ideas). The end of that loop will bring you back down to the Pier Head for about 10am or so, which is opening time for the Museum of Liverpool and the Maritime Museum. You can spend the rest of the day exploring Albert Dock/Maritime Museum/Tate Gallery/Museum of Liverpool, before returning to your ship, which will only be a few hundred yards away.

That is just a suggestion. Of course, I am assuming that you are OK on your feet and a few hours walking won't be too much for you. There are a few inclines to deal with, but nothing too severe.

Like I said at the very start of the thread, I am not a tour guide, so I might have made an error or two on street names etc. but I think most of what I have written is ok. No doubt somebody will correct me if I am wrong.:o

I'm sure you will have a lot of questions, so come back as often as you like to ask them. :)

I am a bit confused! I am sure the answer is buried somewhere in the posts but do the ships (Caribbean Princess) dock at Pier Head or Albert Dock? Also, how far apart are the two sites.

Thanks

No worries. The ships dock at the Pier Head. Albert Dock is about 300 yards away and is directly connected to the Pier Head by walking across a bridge. The bridge is occasionally closed due to construction work, but I am pretty sure that is all finished now. If the bridge is closed, the walk is more like 500 yards, but it is a pleasant stroll either way.:)

Thank you Towncar T for all of the great suggestions! I am a walker (much to the chagrin of my boyfriend) so I will be following your suggestions!:D I am sure I will be asking more questions as the year moves on :D

Thank you Towncar T for all of the great suggestions! I am a walker (much to the chagrin of my boyfriend) so I will be following your suggestions!:D I am sure I will be asking more questions as the year moves on :D

Feel free. Anything I can do to help is fine by me. there are plenty of others that know much more than me, so if I don't know the answer, somebody else on the thread will.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe they are bringing you into port so early:eek: 4 a.m.!!! Someone has made a mistake there. I've just checked this weeks itinerary to compare timings, they will be leaving Dublin 1 & half hours later than this weeks visit and yet still get into Liverpool 2 hours earlier - what do they expect people to do at 4 o'clock in the morning? As Towncar T has said the ferries don't start that early and when they do, will be full of commuters. I also looked at the excursions they are offering for next year, some of them are full day tours @ 8.5 hrs going as far as Lake District, if the ship leaves at 3, all aboard by 2.30 p.m. they'll just about get to the places, see them open and then back on the coach to get back to the ship - will be interesting to see if they change the time - hope so, as there is so much to see here.

Looking forward to seeing Caribbean Princess at the Pier Head on Thursday :(

• 2 weeks later...
Can't believe they are bringing you into port so early:eek: 4 a.m.!!! Someone has made a mistake there. I've just checked this weeks itinerary to compare timings, they will be leaving Dublin 1 & half hours later than this weeks visit and yet still get into Liverpool 2 hours earlier - what do they expect people to do at 4 o'clock in the morning? As Towncar T has said the ferries don't start that early and when they do, will be full of commuters. I also looked at the excursions they are offering for next year, some of them are full day tours @ 8.5 hrs going as far as Lake District, if the ship leaves at 3, all aboard by 2.30 p.m. they'll just about get to the places, see them open and then back on the coach to get back to the ship - will be interesting to see if they change the time - hope so, as there is so much to see here.

Looking forward to seeing Caribbean Princess at the Pier Head on Thursday :(

Maybe it has something to do with the tides? The timings do seem a bit silly, like you say and I agree with what you say about the trips.

• 4 weeks later...
What are your thoughts on the HOHO bus for Liverpool to see some Beatle/Liverpool sites? It seems with our strange hours that we are in Liverpool (4am - 3pm) that may be something to do?

My view on the HoHo bus is that is a good option for those not very good on their feet, as it is very close to the ship and goes past some of the main sights with some commentary. However, if you are good on your feet, Liverpool centre and all of its attractions are very accessible.

The hours you are in port do seem a bit strange, and effectively you are only really there from when things open (mostly around 10am, to when you have to be back on board (probably 2pm). I don't think you will see much Beatles stuff from the HoHo bus. If you are big into The Beatles and would like me or someone else to suggest a Beatles-related walking tour of the city centre then I'm sure I could do that. Let me know

T:)

We would appreciate guidance for a Beatles walking tour. We will be in port 8A to 6P in mid-May so will have more latitude to explore. Thanks for all advice and guidance.

OK. I will do my best. Believe it or not, I am not a huge fan of the Beatles, so haven't visited many of their related sights, but I do know where many of the Beatles-related sights are in the city centre. Bear in mind that many of the more popular Beatles sites (Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Beatles' houses etc.) are outside the city centre and could not be realistically visited on foot. There are heaps of commercial tours for that sort of thing. What I will do is try to suggest a route for a Beatles enthusiast to see as much as possible within the city centre.

My own belief is that if you are there from 8am to 6pm, you have time to see a whole lot more than just the Beatles stuff.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just for your information, here is a page from Tripadvisor that ranks Liverpool attractions in order of their review scores. Might be worth a look to see if there are any attractions that take your fancy. Interesting, but not surprising, that the top 3 attractions are all Beatles related.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186337-Activities-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Just for your information, here is a page from Tripadvisor that ranks Liverpool attractions in order of their review scores. Might be worth a look to see if there are any attractions that take your fancy. Interesting, but not surprising, that the top 3 attractions are all Beatles related.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186337-Activities-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Thanks for the information, Towncar. Just goes to show that different people have different priorities for sightseeing! Think I'll stick to your recommendations which are more in line with things I'd like to see.

Thanks for the information, Towncar. Just goes to show that different people have different priorities for sightseeing! Think I'll stick to your recommendations which are more in line with things I'd like to see.

I just try to imagine that we are first-time visitors to Liverpool and think about the stuff that we would like to do. We're not that different to anyone else, and mostly we like to do 'middle of the road' things. In looking at that site, I am very surprised at how many of the major attractions I have never visited in my home city, including the top three!! I will have to change that!!:o

DeLorean Girl visited Liverpool earlier this year on a Princess cruise. It was my pleasure to give her some tips on our city. Here is a link to her report on her visit. Scroll down to post number 84. I am posting this to give you a visitor's-eye view of "The Pool."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652129&page=5

:)