Which is generally cheaper?

For a family of 6, who want to keep their cruise price to a minimum...

Is it generally cheaper to book 2 inside rooms or 1 family room/suite?

Thanks.

Six people in any one cabin is going to be a nightmare. Trust me, you want to go with two rooms! Not only will the size of one cabin be way too small, the bathroom rotation will have you pulling your hair out!

Good Luck.....

Ricky

Thanks. It's not for me, but for a friend with limited funds. I don't know how practical two rooms would be since they'd have to split the adults between the two rooms and it might not be cozy...if you know what I mean.

I personally can't fathom having 6 people in one cabin. It's tough enough in a balcony cabin with 3 people, let alone 6 inside! But I guess if you really want to cruise with limited funds, you do what you have to.

Oooh, just re-read that and man, do I sound like a snob!

They asked me to help price stuff out, but there's no real way to get "family" cabin prices without calling and I don't really want to do that. I was hoping someone here would have knowledge.

Thanks. It's not for me, but for a friend with limited funds. I don't know how practical two rooms would be since they'd have to split the adults between the two rooms and it might not be cozy...if you know what I mean.

I personally can't fathom having 6 people in one cabin. It's tough enough in a balcony cabin with 3 people, let alone 6 inside! But I guess if you really want to cruise with limited funds, you do what you have to.

They asked me to help price stuff out, but there's no real way to get "family" cabin prices without calling and I don't really want to do that. I was hoping someone here would have knowledge.

Have them check for two inside connecting cabins. Then they can stay in the same room and have the kids just through a door. The price will be a little more than one "Family" inside cabin, but well worth it. I would just fear that if they try to pack 6 in a room, half way through the cruise they might wish they just stayed home. That would really be a major bummer of a vacation, if you know what I mean.

If they don't need specific dates, they can shop around and get some really great rates.

Ricky

P.S. That did not sound snobby at all.

Another option is 1 inside room and 1 balcony across the hall. Our friends did this last year and it worked out well. The parents were able to enjoy the perks of a balcony while saving money on the inside room.

Only upon check in do they have one adult per cabin. Once onboard, no one really cares.

Just had a client come home from a 9 day on the Explorer. A grandma and 2 grandchildren and 2 of their friends. Ages 10 -19. They were in a family ocean view. They absolutely loved it.

Only upon check in do they have one adult per cabin. Once onboard, no one really cares.

You don't have to split the adults at all, as long as the kids are in a cabin next to or across from the adults you can book it that way

Definitely check the price both ways, usually the family suites are pretty pricey but I recently heard of someone who actually got the family suite cheaper than it would have been for 2 inside rooms considering the 2 rooms would have been 4x the 1st & 2nd passenger rate.

For a family of 6, who want to keep their cruise price to a minimum...

Is it generally cheaper to book 2 inside rooms or 1 family room/suite?

Thanks.

Two insides will likely be less expensive. However, if you are looking at a family suite, such as the Royal Family Suite, it has two bedrooms and two bathrooms and is about the size of three inside rooms.

shp_vy_rf-suite_sch_379.jpg

Royal Family Suite Two bedrooms with twin beds that convert to queen-size beds (one room with third and fourth Pullman beds), a private balcony, two bathrooms and living area with double sofa bed. (588 sq. ft., balcony 234 sq. ft.)

We are booked on Liberty in a family promenade room. Price for 6 of us was around $4100. It would have been $159 cheaper for us to book 2 inside rooms on deck 10 (our preferred deck). About $250 cheaper to book 2 insides on deck 2. We will only have 1 bathroom but we think we can manage. We did 1 bathroom in our house until last October!

Two insides are usually cheaper, especially two inside guarantees.

I believe guarantees are not available if you have more than two persons in a cabin. OP said six persons were cruising.

The best you could do is book one guarantee and one quad cabin. The problem with guarantees is that they can't always provide a cabin that can accommodate more than two passengers and some categories of cabins (if you book that exact cabin guarantee) don't hold more than two, like PR cabins on Voyager class ships.

I believe guarantees are not available if you have more than two persons in a cabin. .

There have been multiple posts from folks who were told when they called that they could not get guarantees for more than 2 people but they were able to do it online. Things that make you go hmmmm. It has been done online by posters here.

There have been multiple posts from folks who were told when they called that they could not get guarantees for more than 2 people but they were able to do it on line. Things that make you go hmmmm. It has been done on line by posters here.

I've never been able to do it when I've tried. I guess the motto is keep trying until you get what you want or get too frustrated to keep trying.

Not snobby at all, just realistic.

When we have booked our kids in an adjacent cabin, we have booked one of us in each cabin with one child and had the cabin keys changed after embarkation. We even have spare keys made so we can get into each others cabins. The person booked into a cabin doesn't have to sleep there, no one is checking up on you!

I would have to think that it would depend on the sailing and how much the 3/4/5/6 person charges would be. Since you can't check online, the only way to find out is to call a TA or RCI.

Usually the suites are so much higher per person for the first two people, my thinking would be that 2 inside cabins would have to be a lot less than a family suite.

Archived