Holiday Inn, Newark, Help?

happy cruiser1234

We justed booked the Holiday Inn, Newark for our pre cruise stay. The price was only $59 plus $15 for parking. Now, after reading the reviews for the hotel, I am a little worried. We are traveling with our two young daughters, and I am concerned about safety. Has any one stayed there recently? Any help would be appreciated

I know there are people around here who have stayed recently.... I m not a big HI person, but it should be ok!

However, there is nothing around to eat, and you REALLY have to get good directions and pay attenton to where you are as the roads up there are a little nuts if you aren't used to the area. I am and I was in the wrong lane...(actually ended up in FRONT of the HI instead of on the road I needed!)

It may not be the most beautiful place, but it SHOULD be clean....

I know there are people around here who have stayed recently.... I m not a big HI person, but it should be ok!

However, there is nothing around to eat, and you REALLY have to get good directions and pay attenton to where you are as the roads up there are a little nuts if you aren't used to the area. I am and I was in the wrong lane...(actually ended up in FRONT of the HI instead of on the road I needed!)

It may not be the most beautiful place, but it SHOULD be clean....

Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better. We are gonna be checking in really late at night, then leaving in the morning to the cruise ship. So all we need is a bed to sleep in. That's why $59 sounded like such a great deal.

Hmmmmm......what night do you need??/ I think there are some people on my roll call for our cruise next week that are staying there...but i just was looking at some reviews on TA as well....NOW...you have to take these as opinons....but i am thinking maybe you can come up with something better???

Hmmmmm......what night do you need??/ I think there are some people on my roll call for our cruise next week that are staying there...but i just was looking at some reviews on TA as well....NOW...you have to take these as opinons....but i am thinking maybe you can come up with something better???

Perhaps I should keep looking, as I can still cancel my reservation. However, the Hotel looks quite nice from the web site, they do have a 24 hour café, and a restaurant to grab breakfast. It's mainly the area I am concerned about. There are so many people saying not to stay in Newark. :confused:

Perhaps I should keep looking, as I can still cancel my reservation. However, the Hotel looks quite nice from the web site, they do have a 24 hour café, and a restaurant to grab breakfast. It's mainly the area I am concerned about. There are so many people saying not to stay in Newark. :confused:

Are you planning to leave your car at the Holiday Inn while you are on the cruise? Your car might not be there when you return. Newark has the highest stolen car rate in the country. I also wouldn't leave the property at all during the night. jmo

OK first...you are NOT in downtown newark...I am FROM jersey and i avoid it...

The photos on the website..at least of the exterior..have been "enhanced" (i've only ever seen the outside...but it isn't BAD...just nt as new as it looks.....)

the 24 hour cafe appears to be a grab-n-go kind of thing....but they have 24 hour room service (no doubt flight crews...and/or airlines use this hotel for travelers who may miss their flights, etc.)

as for stolen cars...for the year 2007 (probably the most recent for data) according to CNN . com, Newark isn't even in the top 10.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Modesto, Calif., has the highest rate of auto theft per capita of any metropolitan area in the country, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

edited for space...

Preliminary FBI crime data signals that vehicle thefts dropped 7.4% in 2007 - marking the fourth consecutive year of declining vehicle thefts. The NICB metro area rankings are based on full-year figures from the National Crime Information Center. The rate is determined by the number of vehicle thefts per 100,000 inhabitants, using the 2007 U.S. Census Population Estimates.

Top 10 metro areas by per capita auto theft rate for 2007

1. Modesto, Calif.

2. Las Vegas/Paradise, Nev.

3. San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos, Calif.

4. Stockton, Calif.

5. San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, Calif.

6. Laredo, Texas

7. Albuquerque, N.M.

8. Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Ariz.

9. Yakima, Wash.

10. Tucson, Ariz. bug.gif

I've parked our car in the EWR airport area 4 times...no issues....

Here are a couple other ideas...if you JUST want to crash...the Extended Stay America may be OK...

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/elizabeth-newark-airport.html

no food (or shampoo or tissues...) BUT there is jersey gardens diner next door...(it's in an area with 3 other hotels too...

www.jerseygardensdiner.net

i have others listed on my blog...see below for the link.

again, the HI maybe fine...but if you have time...keep looking...i am thinking there is a reason it is soooo cheap.

You have planted doubts in my mind Meg!!! We are coming back into Bayonne on 3rd Jan 2010, but due to the mega air fares on that Sunday (and that they would not take my BA miles that day either) we have been forced to fly out on the evening of Monday 4th. I was going to use the HI for one night and use their free airport shuttle to get to the rail station at the airport and go to NY for the day, but now you have put a spanner in the works! Any recommendations for a better, but still relatively cheap hotel near the airport with a free shuttle bus?

Simon

You have planted doubts in my mind Meg!!! We are coming back into Bayonne on 3rd Jan 2010, but due to the mega air fares on that Sunday (and that they would not take my BA miles that day either) we have been forced to fly out on the evening of Monday 4th. I was going to use the HI for one night and use their free airport shuttle to get to the rail station at the airport and go to NY for the day, but now you have put a spanner in the works! Any recommendations for a better, but still relatively cheap hotel near the airport with a free shuttle bus?

Simon

OK...sorry simon! Hmmm...you are way too far out yet.....it may be OK...BUT i am wondering why it is soooo cheap!

Try these maybe

Courtyard or Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth; Country Inn and suites newark elizabeth; courtyard, fairfield inn or springhill suites (all marriott brands) newark airport; Newark Airport Marriott or Renaissance; hilton, sheraton or hampton inn.....

if you look in like april of 09 you should be able to find something...and KEEP checking....I found a rate 10 bucks lower for my stay next weekend yesterday....

ALSO...sign up on marriott.com to get their eBreaks....last minute deals.....that's how i got my deal!

check my blog too.....there are links for almost all those hotels!

Are you planning to leave your car at the Holiday Inn while you are on the cruise? Your car might not be there when you return. Newark has the highest stolen car rate in the country. I also wouldn't leave the property at all during the night. jmo

No we are parking at the cruise port. We'll have an 8 hour drive ahead of us when we disembark, and it will be much more convenient to just hop in our car and come home. We won't be leaving the property either, but I think we will bring all of our luggage into our room just in-case. The web site does say the parking area is gated, would criminals still be able to get in there?

Thanks everybody for all of the info.

unless it's really beaten up, they are really in need of cash, they are renovating...or they are just cutting rates to get people in there, i have no clue.

if someone wanted to steal the car, they could...it's probably a gate that raises and lowers with the push of a button or swipe of the room key....

when are you traveling/??

I haven't stayed there recently, but we did stay there 3 years ago. It was no problem and we had a perfectly decent room that you would expect at a typical Holiday Inn. Perhaps they are not keeping up the property, but you have to take people's comments with a grain of salt. If everything is not perfect, then folks complain.

I thought the area was perfect for Newark Airport. The Holiday Inn and the Sheraton (which gets good reviews) are in an oasis of access roads on the north side of the airport. That means that there is no good foot access or even car access to the property which in my mind means no good access for folks up to mischief. You must print out the directions from the hotel. If you get off the turnpike at exit 14, you must take I78 LOCAL and get off at the first exit Frontage Road. Otherwise you will be lost in a sea of airport roadways and access roads. I don't think safely is an issue. No one really can get to the property. The hotel is still rated 3*, but it might be a little less than that.

I thought the area was perfect for Newark Airport. The Holiday Inn and the Sheraton (which gets good reviews) are in an oasis of access roads on the north side of the airport. That means that there is no good foot access or even car access to the property which in my mind means no good access for folks up to mischief. You must print out the directions from the hotel. If you get off the turnpike at exit 14, you must take I78 LOCAL and get off at the first exit Frontage Road. Otherwise you will be lost in a sea of airport roadways and access roads. I don't think safely is an issue. No one really can get to the property. The hotel is still rated 3*, but it might be a little less than that.

138 I was HOPING you would show up........I agree....you MUST pay attention to the directions......

And since you are traveling in March...you have some time....

If I get a chance...(don't hold your breath) I will TRY and hop on the shuttle to check it out for you next week....depending on the weather and to be honest, when i get there (and what kind of a mood i am in....!;)) I can just go the the a/p on my shuttle, hop on theirs and MAYBE i can see a room.....again....i will TRY....

Meg - we can also ask around on the cruise to see if anyone stayed there. Their rates were much higher - I know we paid $99 at the last minute 3 years ago. We went up the night before because it snowed. The next year we used the park/fly at the Sheraton next door. Actually, I thought the rooms were about the same in both places, but the Sheraton had a bigger hotel operation going than the Holiday Inn did. Even though the location is isolated in the middle of roads, I felt that was a big advantage in Newark. I wouldn't want to stay somewhere right on Route 1 that really bordered on Newark.

We didn't pay to park before and now they are charging $15 to park. So if you don't have a car, you get a really terrific room rate and if you do have a car, you get just a terrific room rate.

We justed booked the Holiday Inn, Newark for our pre cruise stay. The price was only $59 plus $15 for parking. Now, after reading the reviews for the hotel, I am a little worried. We are traveling with our two young daughters, and I am concerned about safety. Has any one stayed there recently? Any help would be appreciated

Yes it has a gated lot and also a off-duty police officer patroling the lot. Rooms are ok but the restaurant in the hotel is awesome...its called Teddy's Bar and Restaurant. Its very safe but I have seen the valet car parkers abusing the cars they park. Northern State Prison is located next to it but believe me no one is escaping that prison. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

• 4 weeks later...

We have flown out of Newark many times and have stayed at the airport Hilton about the last 7-8 times. The place is clean, has a good bar/restaurant and a dependable airport shuttle. You can get a park&fly for up to 14 days. Nobody says you have to be flying, or cruising or whatever---you just leave your car in the secure valet garage. Parking per day without park&fly is 17 bucks per day. The room &parking combo is usually much cheaper. You can take the shuttle to the airport and take a train right into manhattan or wherever you want. Just a thought. Bill.

Yes - I think I spoke to the same people who stayed there. No negative comments. The directions to the hotel are the key. Are you coming in from the NJ turnpike or from I78? I know from exit 14 on the turnpike, you take I78 LOCAL and get off at the first exit Frontage Road.

Personally, I think they are just trying to compete in a tight economy and keep their occupancy rate up. There are so many places to stay at Newark airport, and with that rate and the Holiday Inn name, they will attract more customers. I would also plan to call the hotel during the day you will arrive to make sure they block out a room and know that you will be a late arrival (be sure you get the clerk's name). That way you will be sure to have the appropriate sized room.

One time we flew to Orlando for Feb. school vacation and arrive very late at a Marriott Courtyard. There was only one room left and it had just a king sized bed and a small sleeper sofa. My youngest child ended up sleeping on the sofa cushions on the floor and there was no room to walk anywhere! Needless to say, I raised a stink with the motel and they ended up comping the room and breakfast, but it really wasn't worth it for all the hassle.

Wow!! I really appreciate the follow up and the advice to call the hotel before hand. I will be sure to do just that. I think we got a great rate, and being so close to the pier is very convienent.... Meg, I have been following all your posts on the main boards. Thanks for keeping us updated....I'm a little worried about our cabin, we too, are under the Royal Suite. 9622. I am a very light sleeper. We are cruising on March 6. :)

Wow!! I really appreciate the follow up and the advice to call the hotel before hand. I will be sure to do just that. I think we got a great rate, and being so close to the pier is very convienent.... Meg, I have been following all your posts on the main boards. Thanks for keeping us updated....I'm a little worried about our cabin, we too, are under the Royal Suite. 9622. I am a very light sleeper. We are cruising on March 6. :)

pack earplugs...and cross your fingers.....;)

Archived