Wearing white after labor day

Twirl:

Due to historical fears of International Labour by the ruling class in the U.S., Labor Day here is in September, not 1 May.

One simply did NOT ware white to the tennis club in September. :)

Definitely more of a northern US thing than anywhere else, and it seems to be fading more and more there as well. Growing up many years ago in Southern Cal. I never heard it until my Dad married his second wife who had been raised in Michigan. It took her a while, but she ignores that rule now too. You can wear whatever colors you want.

In the South we wear white all year long !!!!!

Have to admit tho - when we visited Europe in late November there werent too many people wearing white :) The Europeans prefer alot of black, brown, and dark gray.....but they spice up their outfits with beautiful colored scarves and long mufflers. I bought some while there !

Have to admit tho - when we visited Europe in late November there werent too many people wearing white :) The Europeans prefer alot of black, brown, and dark gray.....but they spice up their outfits with beautiful colored scarves and long mufflers. I bought some while there !

I've noticed the same thing in September and October in major cities in the Med, where mid to darker colors predominate. If taking white pants, capris or skirts at that time of year, I think they are more suited to warm temp/casual ports such as the Greek islands.

Now that it's been established that Labor Day varies depending on the country, where do you recommend wearing, or not wearing, white clothing in the Med in October, for women?

I would say white blouses and sweaters would look fine anywhere, but as mentioned above, I wouldn't wear summer-style/material white pants, capris or skirts in major cities during the fall/winter months.

So the consensus seems to be, In October, white is okay for the warmer ports, but not really appropriate in the cooler ones. Do we all agree???

It might help to also ask on the Fashion Forum since I don't think there is a consensus here ... although I think the answers lean more towards not wearing white pants/skirts/capris in the Med in October. If you are taking one item, you'll probably have an opportunity to wear it, but if you are basing your wardrobe on a lot of white items, I would say that you might want to reconsider.

In the Med in October, to us North Americans it is still nice fall weather, bordering on late summer - but to Europeans, they dress more like fall bordering on early winter!!! People were in scarves, gloves, wool jackets! - I guess it all depends on how you are acclimatized - we still felt like it was warmer weather, but they looked upon it as colder!!!

Personally, unless you are on some islands (Greek) or real sand and beach venue - I'd skip the white...I didn't take any white pants, capris etc although I did have a white zippered top. If in doubt, go with creams, beiges, pale grey if you want a more "summery" effect.

True! We were amazed by how bundled up everyone was! We were in shirtsleeves and everyone we saw was in mufflers, wool coats, etc! Men too.

Of course we live in the cold--actually +1 right now--so maybe that's part of it. But I agree that it's more of an acclimatization thing, or else just a fashion statement!!

:rolleyes: Cathy

Italians like to eat with the seasons AND dress with the seasons. :) You will find them all dressed in their gorgeous fall clothes even when the temps are quite balmy.

I agree that in a resort you can certainly wear resort-type clothes and colors. I think in cities you will find yourself in an ocean of blacks, browns, and grays.

It's fine to wear capris and summer tops in Europe in October, especially on the Amalfi coast of Italy and in the south of France. We cruised this October and it was quite warm most of the time . :)

The topic is the color, whether white is appropriate, not the type of clothing.

No, I would not wear white in October in Europe (unless I wanted to scream tourist as I walked down the street). There's plenty of lightweight clothing that is not white.

Not sure here..I think it is more the type of clothing. I think too, it is more one thing for cities and another for destinations like the Greek Isles.

A white blouse or top for example is very common year round with perhaps a darker skirt and jacket in Autumn/Winter. As for being a fashion faux pas after labor day...as has been said before, that 'rule' doesn't apply across the pond. :)

No, I would not wear white in October in Europe (unless I wanted to scream tourist as I walked down the street). There's plenty of lightweight clothing that is not white.

I think as already mentioned, it depends where you are. I saw plenty of white/cream/ivory in the Greek Islands last year. And they were locals. White Pants and a lovely colourful silk tunic just looks so amazing in places like Positano, Santorini, Mykonos.

I don't wear white anyway, but there was plently of people in white on the Amalfi coast in October this year, and they looked lovely! ;)

Archived