What things would first-timers not know to pack?

GulfCoastAmy

I've got a while before I have to start packing (ok, a loooong while), but I'm finding it interesting to read about things I never would have thought to bring along. For example, I see a lot of people mentioning a bungee cord to keep balcony doors open. What are some other unusual things we may need?

Nothing that I can think of, especially with all the luggage restrictions, as in having to pay to check bags. I don't bring anything special for a cruise that I wouldn't pack for a land based vacation. But I don't check bags and have learned to pack light.

You will get many recommendations and everyone has different needs. I have seen people mention things I would never consider bringing such as bungee cords, clothespins, duct tape, alarm clocks, blenders, power strips, over-the-door shoe hangers, 14 pairs of shoes for a week trip, insulated mugs, coffee maker, calendar, iron (not allowed), clothes steamer, extension cord, corkscrew, playing cards and on and on.

If I can't fit my things in one 24" or 22" roller bag and one carry-on, I don't bring it. And, I've never needed anything I didn't bring.

We bring a lighted alarm clock so we can see the time during the night. Others are happy with a watch, but I like my little clock.

We bring everything bathroom related we might need, for heartburn, laxatives, bandages, tylonel PM if I cant sleep or headaches, pills for sea sick,... Once I forgot nail clippers and got a hang nail and had to walk over half of progresso to find someone who could direct me to a real drug store that carried them the next day. They are not sold on the ship. Just pack a bag of anything like this you might need Iv found to be safe.

We've never needed a bungee cord (most ship's balcony doors stay open just fine!!), duct tape or a clock. (It's a vacation!!!)

Do bring binoculars--out at sea, there's alot to look at, if you can see into the distance!

In a balcony cabin, you won't need a nightlight.

Unless you have some sort of condition that requires alot of electrical equip., then a powerstrip isn't really needed. Most things don't need to be plugged in continuously.

Pretty much, bring whatever you'd bring on a land vacation.

Most people bring the over the door shoe holder thing to store all of their bathroom stuff like shampoos, lotions, hair dryers, curling irons, etc cause the counter space is VERY limited....this is a great idea....we have a clear one and we put EVERYTHING in our shoe holder like flip flops, sun screen, papers we need to look at often, lotions, perfumes, make up, deodorant, etc.

To reinforce earlier suggestions,

The night light is a must have. The one issue we've encountered is that there are so few receptacles in which to plug one. The alternative is to leave the bathroom light on all night and leave the bathroom door open a crack.

And there is never enough storage space in the bathroom for just the basic stuff, let alone prescription meds, etc. The over the door hanging organizer is an absolute must have.

A few other must haves for us:

- A few sticky note pads (for leaving notes, labeling drawers, etc.)

- A small roll of duct tape to address unexpected problems like a tear in luggage, etc.

- Thank you cards and envelopes (for leaving a personalized note for staff members during or after the cruise - with or without a tip)

- Pre-printed address labels to use for postcards to be sure you don't forget someone and to make the postcard process easier.

We bring a lighted alarm clock so we can see the time during the night. Others are happy with a watch, but I like my little clock.

We bring everything bathroom related we might need, for heartburn, laxatives, bandages, tylonel PM if I cant sleep or headaches, pills for sea sick,... Once I forgot nail clippers and got a hang nail and had to walk over half of progresso to find someone who could direct me to a real drug store that carried them the next day. They are not sold on the ship. Just pack a bag of anything like this you might need Iv found to be safe.

I agree bring your over the counter meds......

• Administrators

Power strip. It charges our phones, camera, laptop, rechargeable batteries, Ipod, and so on. Most cabins have one plug which may or may not be conveniently located, and in any event couldn't keep modern electronics charged up in a timely manner without the power strip.

There are lots of things I take on cruises (we love the over the door shoeholder, and always take some duct tape (it saved our Hawaii trip 2 years ago when a luggage handle basically exploded), plus highlighters, etc.)... but the power strip is the one thing whose absence would torpedo our vacation. We need charged up batteries for the camera, the camcorder, the tunes, and so on.

All good thoughts thanks! I would not have thought of a night light. We don't actually have a balcony room (but don't worry - I will be enjoying my parent's balcony ;)).

I swear by my night light. I hate to turn the light on in the middle of the night.

PJ

Nothing that I can think of, especially with all the luggage restrictions, as in having to pay to check bags. I don't bring anything special for a cruise that I wouldn't pack for a land based vacation. But I don't check bags and have learned to pack light.

You will get many recommendations and everyone has different needs. I have seen people mention things I would never consider bringing such as bungee cords, clothespins, duct tape, alarm clocks, blenders, power strips, over-the-door shoe hangers, 14 pairs of shoes for a week trip, insulated mugs, coffee maker, calendar, iron (not allowed), clothes steamer, extension cord, corkscrew, playing cards and on and on.

If I can't fit my things in one 24" or 22" roller bag and one carry-on, I don't bring it. And, I've never needed anything I didn't bring.

I agree. My suitcase is a 22" roller bag, too. I've never needed anything that most recommend such as duct tape, clocks, etc. Just a lot of "stuff".

Once, my companion had a zipper break on his duffel bag. He went to the Pursers Desk and they were happy to let him use their duct tape for the quick repair.

The only things in my suitcase besides what I KNOW I'll need and use is a small flashlight (have used it twice during brief power outages) and a small square of post-it notes to leave messages on the mirror in the cabin for a companion.

I've never cruised before, but I've been looking on these boards for a few months and made a list of things people recommended to bring. I hope this helps give you a few ideas:

*Purell/Antibacterial Soap

*OTC Meds (Dramamine, Pepto Bismol, Ibuprofen, Any prescription meds)

*Extension Cord/Power Strip

*Night Light

*Digital Clock (some use their phone)

*Highlighter (for marking what you want to do that day)

*First Aid Travel Kit

*Disposable Cameras (Waterproof and Normal)

*Ziplock Bags (small and large for organizing outfits, wet, or dirty clothes)

*Lots of $1 bills (Bring lots of small bills)

*Small toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, loofa, razor)

*Money pouch/Bag for documents (passports, cruise papers, plane tickets, etc)

*Zip up tote for shore excursions

*Biodegradable Sunscreen

*Bug Spray

This is the list I've accumulated. You can add or delete according to your preferences. ;)

What I would like to add is that you should also think about how you pack; not just what you pack.

If you will be taking a suitcase in addition to you carry-on(s) and if you will be flying to your port city. Do not ASSUME that the large suitcase you are taking will make it.

My wife and I each ALWAYS have a carry-on which we keep with us on the airplane and when we board the ship. We ALWAYS make sure to pack the carry-ons so that if we are taking a larger suitcase and it does not make it we can survive with what we have with us.

We know from experience having done this on a 7 night Southern Carribean on Serenade of the Seas a couple of years ago - needless to day our suitcase never made it. No we did not have all of our formal attire, but we made sure we had all of the basics including beach/pool suits, informal pants and dress pants for both that we could wear with multiple different shirts/tops, - some dressy some casual, --- you get the idea.

Yes we were "the ones" whose luggage never caught up but RCCI was great even providing free express laundry each day and offering formal wear which we chose to decline and go with what we had. We even went to the Captain's formal reception and had no problem. I actually became ALMOST fun as we made several new friends who became aware of our situation; invariably over drinks.

I know this will never happen to you but it is something to think about.

FW&FS

I agree w/the need for a small flashlight and we do bring small roll/pkg of duct tape. This came in handy during rough seas and our drawers/doors kept sliding open back and forth, a little tape on them and all was quiet:)

Some take the small two-way family radios. These ships are big and the radios can save alot of steps as well as coordinate "finding" each other. We particularly see these being used by familys with kids.

Did some research and found that there was a waterproof case available for the digital camera we owned. A bit pricey but we got it a couple of cruises ago and it has been well worth every cent!! Goes on in about 10 seconds and allows us to use our good camera on water excurions and take great pictures both in and out of the water with no fear of ruining our camera. Even used it scuba diving. For example, we used it when we climbed Dunn River falls and even though we were not under water we got great photos but did not have to worry about dropping the camera in the water while climbing. Much better than the disposable camera photos.

FW&FS

For any vacation where we have to check baggage, we make sure to have a change of clothes, bathing suit and essential toiletries in our carry ons. We also split our clothes up and pack some for each family member in each suitcase we are checking. That way, if only one suitcase makes it to our destination, we all have some clothes. We learned this lesson the hard way, when we missed a connection due to sitting on the runway for 4 hours waiting out thunderstorms. When we made it to our connection city and had to stay the night, they would not allow us access to our bags as they had to stay secured for our next morning's departure.

A tip I picked up from this board for our last trip that I really liked was to get a plastic accordian file (7-pocket) that I put in the carry-on bag. I put our travel docs (including copies of passports), ship info, and info for each port in the pockets, was a good way to keep everything sorted out but still in one place. On the ship, I kept it in the safe, took out what I wanted each day & had an extra pocket for the ship's daily paper.

I packed several things I read about here before our first cruise. They varied in their effectiveness for us.

1. Indispensible (to us): over the door shoe rack. There simply was not enough room in the bathroom for all our toiletries. I kept my earrings in a zip-lock baggie and put them in one slot. Hair scrunchies in another. Brush & comb. Deodorant. Face wash stuff (four bottles - Clinique). Perfume (just one little bottle). Razor. DH used the pockets for shaving stuff, his deodorant, etc. We didn't use every single pocket but there were more used than unused and the area around the sink was kept clean. There's a small "medicine chest" where we kept our toothbrushes and paste. Actually medicines we kept in the door pockets.

2. Pretty good: clothespins and hand wash stuff. I had bought a packet of tide for sink washing, and a $1 packet of clothespins. I knew I might need to also use the clothespins for the drapes to the balcony but that wasn't an issue for us. I did do 3 pieces in hand wash so this all got used.

3. Not really needed: power strip. We usually charge our phones every night but since they were off for nearly an entire week this wasn't necessary. I did need to recharge my camera batteries once and used the strip but probably could have just used one of the 2 outlets in the room instead.

4. Needed it but not until the last day: extra tote bag for purchased "stuff". We couldn't figure out where to keep our "winter" jackets during our final day until we were at our airport gate so kept them in the little extra tote I'd brought. Once we put on our jackets we tucked the tote into my regular carry-on bag.

Never brought a highlighter but we aren't the type to go to many onboard events. We prefer just hanging on our aft balcony in quiet companionship.

When we unpacked I made the top drawer of the desk/vanity the "emergency" drawer. Here I put bandaids, neosporin and notepads and pens so we could leave each other notes if one of us went somewhere and the other was out.

Archived