Tipping--Just Off Connie and How We Fought It & Feel This is Right

moondoggie

I think there many be another factor that is being considered.

Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between service issues that are the waiter's fault and those that are beyond his control.

If the crew to passenger ratio remains the same, while Celebrity has more dining venues in their new ships, that means there will probably be less waiters per person in the dining room than there was at one time. Keep in mind that Solstice has not sailed at full capacity yet.

Just off Connie on Monday--wonderful trip. However, we refuse to 'autotip'. So, when I visited the Guest Relations desk to get the autotips removed, they were not happy. And, my name was added to a long list of cruisers who did the same thing.

We did NOT tip the nebulous 'other staff, and tipped the Asst Headwaiter a bit less than suggested--he only schmoozed at our dinner table, and we preferred to put more $$ in our Waiter's and Asst Waiter's packets.

So, we overtipped (in cash, of course) our Waiter, Asst Waiter, and Stateroom Attendants--and felt very good about it.

However, I did hand over the cash tips along with a handwritten note (bring your own stationery) to each of the three individuals above--and they were pleased as punch, BECAUSE they send these 'notes' to the head office, and these help to determine their future assignments.

A CAVEAT: if you have an onboard credit, and do not plan or drinking or putting charges on your seapass, you CANNOT get this credited back to you. I think that Celebrity figures people will want to use the OBC to cover part of the tips, and, thus will be forced to keep their 'recommended' amounts in place. You CANNOT delete any of the recipients on the 'recommended' list--you can only INCREASE amounts to any that you choose.

Fight this system along with us--and perhaps C will get the message.

The nebulous 'other staff as you call them are, the people who wash your dirty clothes, towels, sheets with God knows what is on them, wash clothes, etc.

They are the ones washing your dirty dishes, and glasses.

They are the ones you see who are painting, washing windows, dusting, cleaning the dirty public toilets, wiping down the slot machines, and the dealers at the tables.

They are the ones entertaining you in the theater, working in the shops, and vacuuming the public areas.

They are the unseen, under appreciated people who MAKE your cruise as wonderful as it is.

I think a cruise would be a pretty miserable event without them.

I am totally happy with all being paid tips.

I have no issue with Auto tip - its what has happened for us for several years as our service charge is added by the agent to the account up front. However, what I did find disconcerting last week on Azamara where all tips onboard were auto added was the day and night before we disembarked staff who had been absent all week (i.e "butler" ) were constantly hanging around the outside of the room clearly "looking for more".

On the old system the autotip was handed over as a little voucher in an envelope and yes we added more where it was deserved. At least there was one "hand over" event and it was clear to staff that was it. We did hand over to some others on this trip - always discretely and not in the sight of others.

This "hanging around for more" as well as the constant "remember by name is X when you fill in the feedback forms" is something X and Azamara should nip in the bud now. Staff should know they are being tipped and if they are going to get more, the customer will find them. Somehow it gives the impression otherwise they have nothing to do and makes you wonder what they were doing in the two weeks previous when we did not see them otherwise.

It kind of leaves a bad taste of phonieness at the end of the trip otherwise

We've experienced this as well on Oceania and Holland America (both lines have auto-tipping), except not from the butler but from the cabin steward. It does leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I have no issue with Auto tip - its what has happened for us for several years as our service charge is added by the agent to the account up front. However, what I did find disconcerting last week on Azamara where all tips onboard were auto added was the day and night before we disembarked staff who had been absent all week (i.e "butler" ) were constantly hanging around the outside of the room clearly "looking for more".

On the old system the autotip was handed over as a little voucher in an envelope and yes we added more where it was deserved. At least there was one "hand over" event and it was clear to staff that was it. We did hand over to some others on this trip - always discretely and not in the sight of others.

This "hanging around for more" as well as the constant "remember by name is X when you fill in the feedback forms" is something X and Azamara should nip in the bud now. Staff should know they are being tipped and if they are going to get more, the customer will find them. Somehow it gives the impression otherwise they have nothing to do and makes you wonder what they were doing in the two weeks previous when we did not see them otherwise.

It kind of leaves a bad taste of phonieness at the end of the trip otherwise

Well they only have to make sure your room is pristine for the next person whom is to occupy your cabin.

I am curious was your room the only one they were hanging around?

If they were hanging around every room they must of been clones, to hang around every room LOL.

Interesting post. We just got off the Connie last Monday too. We had an issue with the auto-tip. We were ok with the process, but were told my our Online Celebrity Agent that our 2 and 4 yr olds would only be charge 1/2 the amount for the autotip. So....instead of paying for 4 people's tip, they would charge us 3 people's tips.

Since we have gotten home, we have left several messages with the oline booking center trying to locate this "Andy" who booked our trip. As you can imagine, they aren't really in a rush to help us locate him. <sigh>

Andy is probably hiding because Andy was wrong to advise you this. Everyone pays the full ammount irrespective of age

Andy is probably hiding because Andy was wrong to advise you this. Everyone pays the full ammount irrespective of age

Hmmmm. We haven't cruised since Jan/08 but 1/2 tipping for kids was the case then. Een tho' I think they should be charge dull. Kids sleep in beds, eat, etc. too!

The fact is, too many who cruise can't really afford it....they cut corners where they can

Once again Ma, I agree with you. The last couple of years there are WAY too many people out of their element on the ships. On that side of the coin, they should force mandatory minimum tips and let the rest of us give out extra cash to those we know "make" the cruise. What are we talking about here? A lousy couple hundred tops? I don't mind paying that if it keeps "stiffers" off the ships who don't know how to behave on a cruise. As far as giving out cash to our "favorites", of course they don't share that cash...it's done privately and it's all theirs.

The fact is, too many who cruise can't really afford it....they cut corners where they can

Once again Ma, I agree with you. The last couple of years there are WAY too many people out of their element on the ships. On that side of the coin, they should force mandatory minimum tips and let the rest of us give out extra cash to those we know "make" the cruise. What are we talking about here? A lousy couple hundred tops? I don't mind paying that if it keeps "stiffers" off the ships who don't know how to behave on a cruise. As far as giving out cash to our "favorites", of course they don't share that cash...it's done privately and it's all theirs.

I realized this when someone posted we cruise as often as our tax returns make it possible.

If you are cruising on tax returns you can't afford it.

Geeze I always have to pay in, I wish I got a tax return.:confused:

I realized this when someone posted we cruise as often as our tax returns make it possible.

If you are cruising on tax returns you can't afford it.

Geeze I always have to pay in, I wish I got a tax return.:confused:

or a stimulus rebate...anything....LOL

:p

Well they only have to make sure your room is pristine for the next person whom is to occupy your cabin.

I am curious was your room the only one they were hanging around?

If they were hanging around every room they must of been clones, to hang around every room LOL.

I am not sure what you are saying here. Firstly, this was on the night before disembarkation so making sure the room was pristine for the next passengers was premature. No it was not only our room - we dined with two other couples that night who commented on the same behaviour - one lady had almost felt intimidated in the situation. The staff were standing near the route to the elevators which was midway down their row of cabins and as soon as a door opened they were swiftly making their way up to engage in conversation.

I have NO problem if this was their behaviour every night but it was the ony night we ever saw either of the attendants and whilst we were very happy to give them their stated tip, neither had gone in any way above and beyond (indeed there had been some lapses we had chosen to overlook so if the tip had been removed maybe they should have had less).

I am happy that so far this has been a quite civil & interesting discussion.

many yrs ago we vacationed in Antigua at a resort where the tips were built into the wages & extra tips were seriously discouraged-we had very poor service & no one really extended themselves.

IMHO the auto tip system is best of both worlds..everyone will get the minimum for providing the expected services but can still work even harder to get more.... I recently had a bar server go to another location to get me a special frozen drink--meanwhile he was losing other tips while he was gone & still only getting the 15% pre-paid--so we made sure to compensate for that! These folks are not on board to cruise but to make a living!

With auto tip, tip avoiders will not be able to skip the dining room & still expect to be getting same service as everyone else.....

I realize tipping is cultural, but it is a US/dollar based line & in the US we still tip quite generously if the service merits it...(I hope)

I'd like to hear more about this. If the opted-out tips are shared anyway, this whole discussion seems pointless.

You are absolutely correct AuburnCa

If you opt out of the auto tip (fee, gratuity, whatever you wish to call it), there is a listing that goes to the staff reflecting that. If you give them a cash tip, they have to put it in the pool. If the pool says $3.50 per day and you give them $3.50 per day, they still have to add it to the pool. If you give them $5.00 per day, the $3.50 would go in the pool and the $1.50 is for them to keep.

That's why I never remove the auto, but if I want to, just give them the extra cash. That way the ship is happy, their records reflect you paid the auto and the server is happy, they got a little above the norm.

If you weren't happy with the service, don't add anything extra. Each member of the staff is entitled to something, even if they did the minimum required.

But, as others have posted, there are some that don't agree with this method.

I am not sure what you are saying here. Firstly, this was on the night before disembarkation so making sure the room was pristine for the next passengers was premature. No it was not only our room - we dined with two other couples that night who commented on the same behaviour - one lady had almost felt intimidated in the situation. The staff were standing near the route to the elevators which was midway down their row of cabins and as soon as a door opened they were swiftly making their way up to engage in conversation.

I have NO problem if this was their behaviour every night but it was the ony night we ever saw either of the attendants and whilst we were very happy to give them their stated tip, neither had gone in any way above and beyond (indeed there had been some lapses we had chosen to overlook so if the tip had been removed maybe they should have had less).

I understand your experience and have noticed it too, to varying degrees. I have had a more blatant attempt at trying for extra. Having prepaid the tips (which is what I tend to do now as it is tidier for me than foreign currency cash), the butler slipped in a "with thanks" envelope with the prepaid tips note. That presumption really irked me at the time and took the shine off. I have to say that in addition some of the least "pushy visible" at the end of the cruise have been those most deserving.

Phil

I can only say after 30+ cruises 10 of which have been Celebrity we have never experience what you are saying.

Many happy sunsets while cruising to you.

Yes, I asked what the extra $1.25 per day was for--who got the cash, and just got a vague answer 'the other staff members who served you'.

So, if there were 125 of these other 'service people', each one would get one penny, or $20.00 for a cruise capacity of 2000 guests?

What about the other staff members, which I'm sure there are many?

When you go to a hotel, do you tip the dishwasher at the restaurant? The guy cleaning the windows? The lifeguard at the outdoor pool? The electrician who fixes a broken lamp?

On the cruise, how about the Captain? The Medical Staff? The Guest Relations staff (now THAT's a good one!)? The Celebrity singers and dancers? The port pilot? The list could go on and on...

I would just like a reasonable explanation for the 'extra service people', which C has declined to do. Sure, I can afford the extra $25, but the point is, this seems to be a money grab, and nothing more. Kind of like the 'resort fee' which is added to some high class destination hotels--I would much rather have the extra $$ included into the price of the cruise, and tip (honestly and generously) the waiter/asst waiter, and cabin steward at least the recommended amount.

I would also like to see the tips handed out by noon on the day preceeding embarcation--that way the 'stiffers' could be contacted by Guest Relations and asked if there was a reason that they chose not to tip anything to the staff who served them...

Cruisers from other countries where tipping is not the norm should receive a separate, clearly worded sheet in their cruise docs with an explanation of who is tipped, and how much is customary; perhaps these cruisers should have the auto tips charged on their accounts on a daily basis. If it is mostly this group of people who are 'stiffing', this would help. Perhaps this combined with the above suggestion would solve the root of the tipping problem.

And as we all know, tipping is considered a part of the expense of cruising. It just angers me how C chooses to handle the situation. And we haven't gotten a good explanation from them.

I take the time and effort to figure tips, hand them out in cash, and write the notes that these people seem to treasure and forward on towards their bosses--this takes less than 30 minutes of your time.

Fight this system along with us--and perhaps C will get the message.

I don't understand what you "fought". The systems allows those of us who want to, to auto-charge tips, and those who don't want to, to opt out and handle their tips themselves - as you did. This is a standard procedure, not something you "fight" for.

Why would you want to force your preferred system upon others? Lets continue to have both.

Floris

It is my understanding that when passengers gave tips directly to the crew who serviced them during their cruise, the crew were suppose to put all of their tips in the pool which was then redistributed.

If that is the case, the only effective difference between that method and auto tipping is that it insures that all tips are actually pooled, and that every passenger contributes to it.

I believe only bar/drink servers pool, although legend has always had it that if the phantom Chief Housekeeper was stiffed, it would be paid out of the stewards tips.

I have never heard that the wait staff or the cabin staff pool. I think that there is some mis-information out there now on this topic.

Yes, I asked what the extra $1.25 per day was for--who got the cash, and just got a vague answer 'the other staff members who served you'.

So, if there were 125 of these other 'service people', each one would get one penny, or $20.00 for a cruise capacity of 2000 guests?

What about the other staff members, which I'm sure there are many?

When you go to a hotel, do you tip the dishwasher at the restaurant? The guy cleaning the windows? The lifeguard at the outdoor pool? The electrician who fixes a broken lamp?

On the cruise, how about the Captain? The Medical Staff? The Guest Relations staff (now THAT's a good one!)? The Celebrity singers and dancers? The port pilot? The list could go on and on...

I would just like a reasonable explanation for the 'extra service people', which C has declined to do. Sure, I can afford the extra $25, but the point is, this seems to be a money grab, and nothing more. Kind of like the 'resort fee' which is added to some high class destination hotels--I would much rather have the extra $$ included into the price of the cruise, and tip (honestly and generously) the waiter/asst waiter, and cabin steward at least the recommended amount.

I would also like to see the tips handed out by noon on the day preceeding embarcation--that way the 'stiffers' could be contacted by Guest Relations and asked if there was a reason that they chose not to tip anything to the staff who served them...

Cruisers from other countries where tipping is not the norm should receive a separate, clearly worded sheet in their cruise docs with an explanation of who is tipped, and how much is customary; perhaps these cruisers should have the auto tips charged on their accounts on a daily basis. If it is mostly this group of people who are 'stiffing', this would help. Perhaps this combined with the above suggestion would solve the root of the tipping problem.

And as we all know, tipping is considered a part of the expense of cruising. It just angers me how C chooses to handle the situation. And we haven't gotten a good explanation from them.

I take the time and effort to figure tips, hand them out in cash, and write the notes that these people seem to treasure and forward on towards their bosses--this takes less than 30 minutes of your time.

Don't you mean disembarkation.

...that the practice of auto-tipping is not reasonable unless we are being told exactly whom we are tipping!

And, that C is making people uncomfortable about 'opting out'.

That's it in a nutshell.

So you want their names and addresses... ;)

For crying out loud this is $1.25! Less than $10 a week. You realize that there are laundry people and others that basically work for or support the housekeeping people etc. There are others too, even if it is the pursers desk administration of auto-tip, so what? Is not the demand to be told "exactly whom" a bit obsessive? I mean isn't that almost a passenger version of informationally nickle and diming?

Making people self conscious about removing it... I'm ambivalent. X seems to be sending a clear message that they've made a policy decision on crew compensation arrangments. If you dislike this so much - its time to book elsewhere. The lion's share of the people removing auto-tip are crew-stiffers. I'm rather glad they're made to feel uncomfortable. For the rest of us, it's a convenience.

To that guy who wants to know why there are those of us that are "amped up about $1.25 per day" well it isn 't $l.25 per day. It is $l.25 per day per person = $25 and like the Cruising Chick, I also get treated well in the Martini Bar and I would rather tip him the $25 for taking care of me for l0 days then put $25 to pay for tips for people I don't know. Cruising Chick - I still think you should come on our March 6 Caribbean cruise.

To the person who is worried about the servers in the buffet area not getting tipped - they are waiters and asst. waiters that work all different shifts. All the waiters in the main dining room work the breakfast shift and lunch shift in the buffet areas so in the end they all get tipped by us.

I believe only bar/drink servers pool, although legend has always had it that if the phantom Chief Housekeeper was stiffed, it would be paid out of the stewards tips.

I have never heard that the wait staff or the cabin staff pool. I think that there is some mis-information out there now on this topic.

ROFL...kinda like the phantom guest service. Believe it or not, I actually MET the Chief Housekeeper....once. :D Again, although the crew are so honest and sincere - I seriously doubt they "report" the $50 I give them and insist they pocket.

Archived