My Experience Eating Lunch in the Dining Room at Embarkation Aboard the Sapphire

Sailfish

We sail tomorrow and this was one of the things I told DH was different about Princess. No, it would not kill me to eat at the buffet but if it's offered then I would like to try it. I assume there was staff available for this which is why they offered it. It would be a bit frustrating to look forward to something, to be denied while others are enjoying it.

I understand...but seriously, you can eat every other meal in the dining room if you want too...I dont see all the fascination folks have with going to the dining room right away. Hey, to each his own though. I wish you luck and have a great cruise! If you dont get that lunch, dont let it spoil your trip in any way.

I understand...but seriously, you can eat every other meal in the dining room if you want too...I dont see all the fascination folks have with going to the dining room right away. Hey, to each his own though. I wish you luck and have a great cruise! If you dont get that lunch, dont let it spoil your trip in any way.

The only way I could understand having to force the use of the DR is for someone who is handicapped. It puts them through a strain which they don't need. I don't think I've eve seen anyone in a wheelchair or using a walker at the buffet.

It might be the first moment in years some of us have been served, used real napkins and fancy plates. Hey, a cruise is a BIG deal from the get go for some of us, who are always working the 'honey do list'. To start your vacation being served is like sweet, sweet icing on the cake.:p I have a loooooooooooong honey do list!

Princess however should never had issued a press release stating that lunch could be enjoyed on embarkation day if they did not intend to see it through.

You make a valid point.

Last year I wrote Princess regarding lunch being served in the main dining room on Embarkment Day.

This is what they had to say -

EmbarkmentDayLunchLetter.jpg

:cool:

I usually eat in the dining room on sea days but embarkation and arriving back from shore excursions use Horizon Court.

On my last cruise 31 days on Diamond Princess Asia/Australia/new Zealand I personally was very pleasantly surprised with Horizon Court thought there had been a great improvement to my past cruises.Employees kindly would also fetch me tea or coffee.

Its no big deal to miss the dining room on embarkation ........Actually its quicker on that day then I return to my cabin to unpack and store things away.......before its time for us to struggle into our life jackets at muster time.....gosh I always make a mess of it.:eek::D

As others have pointed out, food is very subjective.

I guess we're in the minority but we always take advantage of embarkation day to eat brunch/lunch off the ship. One last chance to eat "ethnic" before the well-prepared but relatively bland food on the ship. And then we don't have to deal with any crowds in the ship's eating areas.

I dont see all the fascination folks have with going to the dining room right away.

It is simple. The buffet is usally a zoo with many hundreds of passengers figuring out the buffet layout and trying to find a place to sit and eat.

Having a relaxing lunch experience in a dining room is a great way to start a cruise.

The dining room is open. You will be served in a very gracious manner, even if the people stationed outside tell you otherwise. The horizon court on embarkation day is a zoo, and dh and i much prefer a quiet, leisurely, relaxing lunch.those of you who like the buffet, by all means enjoy it. But don't twll us who don't what to do.

I think it all depends the time of day you arrive at the Horizon Court. Think there is that first big rush.I found last time arriving a little later after the one half hours on coach from hotel. That Embarkation plus Horizon Court smooth flowing . Princess advises themselves to arrive a little later rather than at opening time. Its like a sales day for a popular onshore store you have that opening rush.

I am not saying there were not a lot of folks in Horizon but it was more bearable.:)

The dining room is open. You will be served in a very gracious manner, even if the people stationed outside tell you otherwise. The horizon court on embarkation day is a zoo, and dh and i much prefer a quiet, leisurely, relaxing lunch.those of you who like the buffet, by all means enjoy it. But don't twll us who don't what to do.

I agree - well put!

Have happy cruisin'!

After this thread last week I decided to email Princess to get an update since they wouldn't let us eat lunch in the dining room last year. I emailed passenger relations, Jan Swartz, and Alan Buckelew to see what answers I would receive. Here is a copy of the email that I received from Mr Buckelew, well some assistant of his who answered for him of course.

Notice the response states that these things SHOULD be available. They're now covered, should doesn't mean will it means should. Any experiences that differ can be said that "we know it should have been available but...."

Also, since when are the burgers served freshly ground? They looks like frozen patties to me!

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: from a Princess passenger

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:06 pm

Mr. & Mrs. Smith:

I don't know what went wrong on your last cruise, but I can assure you that

under regular circumstances on the Crown Princess we offer more options on

embarkation than any other cruise line, including lunch in a dining room,

our freshly prepared International Cafe food offerings, our famous home

made Pizzas at the Pizzeria, our freshly ground burgers grilled-to-order at

the burger grill, our Cafe Caribe selections, a full luncheon buffet and a

sail away party with theme food offerings. On your upcoming voyage, all of

these venues should be available once you board.

We look forward to having you on board again and will do our best to make

your vacation special.

Best Wishes

Alan B. Buckelew

President & CEO

Princess Cruises

Direct: 661 753 1525

Fax: 661 753 0102

Email: abuckelew@princesscruises.com

Notice the response states that these things SHOULD be available. They're now covered, should doesn't mean will it means should.

I don't know what went wrong on your last cruise, but I can assure you that

under regular circumstances on the Crown Princess we offer more options on

embarkation than any other cruise line, including lunch in a dining room,

our freshly prepared International Cafe food offerings, our famous home

made Pizzas at the Pizzeria, our freshly ground burgers grilled-to-order at

the burger grill, our Cafe Caribe selections, a full luncheon buffet and a

sail away party with theme food offerings. On your upcoming voyage, all of

these venues should be available once you board.

The way I read it, (reading between the lines ;))

why all the fuss over "dining in the main dining room" when the Cafe, Pizzeria, Burger Station, Horizon Court, Cafe Caribe are all open on embarkment day.

The way I read it, (reading between the lines ;))

why all the fuss over "dining in the main dining room" when the Cafe, Pizzeria, Burger Station, Horizon Court, Cafe Caribe are all open on embarkment day.

The funny thing is I never said that anything went wrong on our last cruise.

The Cafe Caribe was not open for lunch on our last cruise either, The Horizon Court was. They also discuss the sailaway in the email, not quite sure what that has to do with lunch!

I still love the bit about the freshly ground burgers that are grilled to order. Guess he has never sailed on the same ships that I have!

I am the OP and wanted to add my take on things. First off, I find the food quality and atmosphere to be better in the dining room as opposed to the Horizon Court. If this were not an option, I too would go to the buffet for lunch and say nothing more. But it's promoted by the cruise line, and as long as it is, I for one would like to take advantage of this.

We had no problem in November aboard the Emerald Princess; along with many others, we enjoyed a very nice lunch in the Da Vinci dining room. When we cruised in January on the Sapphire Princess, it was obvious the management was lax in implementing this - probably due in part to the dining room's manager's reluctance to open it up. Whatever the reason, the Sapphire's officer (at least one) knew about the policy but did nothing (except ask us to lie that we were in transit) to open up the dining room so others could join us. This is wrong. If it's in the best interest of the crew to NOT host lunch in the dining room, then it should be discontinued. If it's offered, then it should not be such a struggle. Please note that I know this is a hot topic, but as I was recently on the Sapphire, I simply wanted to pass along our experience and let future cruisers know what happened to us.

My husband spoke casually to the staff captain while at the past guest party towards the end of the cruise, and he admited that having the dining room open was a scheduling issue. At least on the Sapphire, there is minimal staff on turn-around day in the dining room and kitchen. With this new policy, some crew are being asked reschedule their time off - including managers who are the most vocal. All ships were given a few months to implement this policy; some did so immediately, while others, like the Sapphire, "phased it in". According to the officer, it's not just the dining room staff thats affected. All departments are affected by this new policy (which isn't new anymore). He said that the captains on all ships were asked to implement this, but some, like that on the Sapphire, are siding with the crew. Until they cycle through contracts of management staff who are opposed to the policy, it will continue to be an issue. I don't know what contracts have to do with it, but it sounds like there are enough people on the Sapphire who don't like it, and the captain seems to agree in a wierd way, by not enforcing it.

It's interesting how this situation varies. We were on the Sea Princess out of Southampton in July 2008. They had it printed in the Patter what dining room was open for lunch and the hours. We had a lovely lunch and absolutely no problems or attitude in being seated.

So evidently that particular ship and captain had made allowances to make it happen and give the passengers a lovely first impression of Princess.

Thanks Sailfish for posting the thread and the follow up addition.

Bob

Future: Emerald Princess Northern Trans Atlantic 09/09

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

There are very few people who contribute to this forum who would agree with your comments and seem to demand they be served. Princess should rephrase their printed statement in order to give these guys a break- after all it's just one meal.

I do find it amazing that paying passengers feel they should cater to the staff? :rolleyes:

It is simple. The buffet is usally a zoo with many hundreds of passengers figuring out the buffet layout and trying to find a place to sit and eat.

Having a relaxing lunch experience in a dining room is a great way to start a cruise.

TOTALLY agree and very well said! :D:D

• 5 months later...
Do you actually beleive that wait staff are involved in loading stores onto the ship!:D

No, but I do believe the kitchen staff is involved in loading the stores into the kitchen! Plus the wait staff might have that time designated as their time off so they can take care of things on shore. I know I seem them getting off the ship on port days, but not all of them are taking off on the port days.

All thAt being said, I can definitely understand you wanting to eat in the MDR. I much prefer it!!!! The only day I usually eat any meal on the horizon deck is embarkation day!

I do find it amazing that paying passengers feel they should cater to the staff? :rolleyes:

I totally agree.On Star last week,thy insisted that the dining room was for intransit passengers only.I politely disagreed and showed the headwaiter the Princess news release.He then stated that not all new changes were implemented fleetwide and did not know what to say when I showed him the release date of Jan 2008.He then seated us and no one else entered during our meal.I then saw them turning await other passengers.

Archived