Cancellation Reasons

brian_uk

On another thread there are a number of passengers talking about refunds and how long they take.

It would be interesting to hear the reasons for the various cancellations.

I just wonder whether my earlier predictions that many are changing their minds due to the recession. If this is correct then maybe O will rethink their prices on PH OS and VS which so far have not been reduced.

Brian

My DW had very serious heath issues which she seems to be recovering from slowly but surely (thank goodness).

While I was grousing about the cost due the devaluation of the Cdn $ compared to the US $ we would have still gone but would have simplified our excursions to save a few bucks if we had needed to.

Now of course as a result of delaying the cruise to next year we are actually paying less for the exact same itinerary - go figure!

On another thread there are a number of passengers talking about refunds and how long they take.

I just wonder whether my earlier predictions that many are changing their minds due to the recession. If this is correct then maybe O will rethink their prices on PH OS and VS which so far have not been reduced.

Brian

I wouldn't hold my breath! With the limited supply of OS and VS combined with a continued demand (those who would book those suites arguably are less prone to cancel) suggest increases rather than reductions to enhance revenues. I've stopped looking at O itineraries because these suites are seldom available.

We had booked April 2008 but my health was not improving as well as I had expected.

We had to cancel for health issues...like Caribbeansun we were still going despite the $$ exchange.

Hopefully I will be able to cruise again soon:)

Lyn

Brian

I really cannot see the recession seriously affecting the cruising plans of those who are willing to pay twice as much as me for a cabin on a ship that goes to the same places and offers the same food in the same venues just basically for more bedroom space for 12 nights on a port-intensive itinerary.

Affected by the recession or not Oceania will loose many regular OS and VS passengers with the attitude that we should pay for the reductions given to the lesser accommodations. We have been in these suites 6 times and don't plan to book O until their "we've got you" attitude changes. No discounts no bookings! There are other choices out there.:mad:

Passengers booked in higher category cabins already have an option to lower their cost: Just rebook into a lower category cabin...You may really prefer a suite, but if the economy is hitting you hard enough that it makes that difficult, but it is not hitting you hard enough that you would cancel altogether under any circumstances...just take the same cruise and settle for whatever category you can bring yourself to afford...

Cruise lines make their pricing decisions based on supply and demand...If the higher categories weren't selling...or if they didn't feel they could sell them out, then they'd discount them...

But they also have an option...they have committed customers in lower categories who might be willing to pay a small price for an "upgrade"...

For example, on my sailing, which thus far has not been discounted, a PH starts at $7599 pp...with A3 going for $6599 pp...That comes out to a $2000 difference on the cabin...Let's say they have trouble selling the PHs and want to drop it to $7000 pp...Rather than be forced to advertise and set a precedent, they could merely contact their current Category A passengers and offer them an "upgrade" for $400 pp, fill up the PHs and leave themselves with more lower category cabins--which are easier, theoretically, to sell...I have actully seen some threads where people have reported Oceania as doing just that...

Of course, the benefit to Oceania is they don't have to advertise this and don't set the precedent that tells people if they hold out on booking their suite, eventually Oceania will discount it...

Remember, for years, they've avoided having to tell the public they're willing to discount ANYTHING...

Problem, Brian, is that you're thinking like the customer, not like the salesman...

Ours was health related too. We thought husband's ankle replacement would be ready but it was aggressive thinking on our part to plan such a port intensive cruise. We'll rebook. Just so sad to be missing this trip in May, and the friends we were traveling with.

Until our 203K (used to be 401K) stabilizes, we have adjusted our cruise frequency. We canceled next month's crossing on Azamara but kept our resy for April 2010. Downgrading to a lower category is not an option for us. We spend almost as much time on our aft balcony on deck 6 as inside the ship.

Those 418 days to April next year will also pass.

We canceled our 28 day b-2-b for 10/2009 out of Istanbul. DW did not feel that she wanted to fly that far nor for cruise for that many days given she has some health issues. WE will be doing the 12 day Caribbean sailing out of Miami on 02/25/2009 in an OS. Then nothing for the rest of 2009. Want to see what will be offered for the latter part of 2010.

TRips to Mexico are starting to look more inviting, especially the west coast.

To those of you wioth health issues may I firstly say that I wish you a very speedy recovery and hope to meet you on some future occasion.

To BruinSteve while I can see the logic in your argument I still feel that O are rather taking for granted their Suite and PH Clients. I understand that there are still many unsold PH units and a number of RS and VS can be had on various cruises. A reduction gesture towards those Clients would, I think, earn them more loyalty in the future. With two larger Ships coming on stream they will need all the loyalty they can get.

AskforJay....I have no idea what a 203K actually is but clearly the recession has played some part in your decision.

CintiPam.....there will always be Clients willing to pay a premium for additional space or amenities. Look at the Airlines or Hotels charging more for a SeaView Room. As Jackie Mason would say...why pay for looking at the sea when I am generally asleep when in the Room.....

Thanks for your responses and I guess time will tell.

Brian

We are one week away from our 3rd Oceania cruise, all at PH2 level but quite possibly our last due to pricing. We did consider booking A2 level, we looked over one on our last cruise with a view to saving money and staying with O.

We have cancelled a b2b Auckland-Sydney-Bangkok in 2010 because of a 29% increase. This was before the price reductions announced recently.

In the end we have booked a Sky suite on Azamara Quest in 2010 from Singapore to Athens which was reasonably priced. Other options in this part of the world for us are Princess either around Australia or to New Zealand, and are priced in $A. Another issue for us is by cruising locally we can keep the air cost down.

Interesting. I get all these brochures from O touting their discounts, but I hadn't realized they didn't include the PH's! It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I agree with Steve, that if people are affected by the economy but can still travel, they will downgrade that travel. They will take a cheaper trip, weather land or sea, and on a cruise, this means a cheaper cabin, a cheaper itinerary or a cheaper line.

We are seriously considering cancelling our December trip Rio - FLL on Regent. If we do, it will be because of the economic downturn. In Canada, our retirement plan is called an RRSP, but if it was a 401K, it would definitely now be a 304K!

The one thing which we insist upon in any cabin is a Tub and without this we will not travel. No amount of financial inducement offered will change our minds on this point.

My friend was just on a Regent Cruise FLL - Buenos Aires and he said it was operating at 50% because of 200 cancellations in the last few months. He had a great time but said there was a lack of atmosphere.

Brian

I seem to recall getting an O brochure recently in which discounts covered all PH suites. Can't remember to where the ship sailed.

We decided after one adventure in a PH that it wasn't for us. DW needs more room due to mobility issues. Although we can afford an OS or VS, it does seem that O is taking advantage of those pax. who enjoy the extra space. Time will tell what, if any, discounts will occur, especially with Marina coming on line.

Len

In fact on a per square foot basis, OS and VS are cheaper than the basic balconied cabin. They are 4 to 5 times the size of the latter and practically just double the cost. I know, you eat the same food, but you get times the room and all the perks and butler service (whether you need it or not). These upper suites are comparable to those on true luxury lines, and yet offer non-smoking, no-formal atmosphere at the top of a not so large ship (smaller than RSSC Voyageur). There are folks who particularly prefer them, and you are competing with those able to pay!

We cancelled (three cabins including a PH) as the Baltic cruise we had booked was not discounted. HAL had a good exchange rate on both $cdn and UK pounds pund and of course the cruise was seriously discounted. Putting it all together it was not a difficult decsion, although we really like Oceania. We still have a booking on a Transatlantic which may be the only Oceania experience we can justify for a while.

We cancelled (three cabins including a PH) as the Baltic cruise we had booked was not discounted. HAL had a good exchange rate on both $cdn and UK pounds and of course the cruise was seriously discounted. Putting it all together it was not a difficult decision, although we really like Oceania. We still have a booking on a Transatlantic which may be the only Oceania experience we can justify for a while.

Archived