travel agent advised us NOT to cruise AOS

:confused: I asked my travel agent for a price on cruising AOS in March. She got back to me and said the RCL rep advised her not to book us on AOS becasue of recent complaints that the cruise was not "what people expected on a RCL cruise" and suggested we look at Serenade instead. we really wanted the AOS itinerary so am now very conflicted. Has anyone else gotten this advice??

:confused: I asked my travel agent for a price on cruising AOS in March. She got back to me and said the RCL rep advised her not to book us on AOS becasue of recent complaints that the cruise was not "what people expected on a RCL cruise" and suggested we look at Serenade instead. we really wanted the AOS itinerary so am now very conflicted. Has anyone else gotten this advice??

What a bunch of garbage. Sorry. No RCI rep will advise against sailing on any of their ships.

PS: the Serenade sailings may be higher priced. Your TA is looking for commission. Change your TA. :D

Edited by FL_Cruiser64

Wow, maybe she had some unhappy customers? I was on it last month and would highly recommend going on it!! There will always be people not happy with different cruises just like anything else.

We have been on the Adventure 3 times over the last few years last time just a few months ago. We love love love the AOS!!! No complaints. The ship is starting to show a little wear but that is all ships.

I would change agents!

We PREFER the Voyager class ships---I can't imagine why your TA would say that, based on random reviews! (You know that dissatisfied people talk louder than happy ones....so it's not a real accurate way to judge something!)

Book the itinerary that YOU want!

We sailed on the AOS 8/08 & had a great time, ship was fantiastic had a hump cabin did the Aruba route. I never heard of a RCI rep saying anything like that. Imagine how long they would have their job if corp ever got wind of that? I would be concerned with your TA & would look for another or just book it myself though RCI.

Edited by dutchess43

We will be on AOS in June and we are very excited. My travel agent said some people don't want to be on a cruise with so many from PR...guess what? The cruise originates from PR. We think it will be a fun, happening cruise and can't wait. Differences in people.

Wait. Ummm, isn't part of a TA's job to make RECOMMENDATIONS on cruises, etc?

So why would someone drop them simply because she recommended one ship over another?

We don't know what the RCI rep. did or did not tell the TA, but the rep may very well have simply recommended one ship over the other as well. I don't find that too difficult to swallow, but thats not really the point here anyway.

I wouldn't be using a TA that couldn't at least make some suggestions when I was looking for a vacation.

And for what its worth, I have read a fair number of reviews concerning AOS that were less than flattering and very similar in tone. You have to look for yourself and decide if the reviewer is being fair or not, but I would just as quick to dismiss an absolutely positive review as I would a negative.

We sailed on her in 08. Unless things have done a 360 on that ship we loved it.

Great food-good service-perfect itinerary-plenty of activities for young and old.

Heck-I could cheerlead about that vacation!!!:D

AOS was our 1st cruise which got us hooked.....:D

NOW...sometimes, it may seem like there are more puerto rican residents on the ship.....but not necessarily........perhaps that's why??

whatever....its a gret ship, and the ports are super! We did the aruba route as well.....we'd do that again......on AOS or another ship.....

(only problem is getting to SJ....mom doesn't like flying....not the FLIGHT part, but the getting through the airport onto the plant part!:eek::()

book the trip YOU want...if your TA says the RC rep said that (which i find a little hard to believe...) then get a NEW TA or book it yourself......

LISTEN TO US...MY FAMILY HAS BEEN ON THE adventure of the sea's on 3 different trips and all 3 times the adventure hit a grand slam...no issue;s no problems and no complaints...i think either someone was having a horrible day and made some off the cuff garbage statements or they are looking to get under our skin...THE ADVENTURE IS A KEEPER...sail her and have a wonderful time...

What a bunch of garbage. Sorry. No RCI rep will advise against sailing on any of their ships.

PS: the Serenade sailings may be higher priced. Your TA is looking for commission. Change your TA. :D

I hate to be cynical, but that's what occurred to me.

Our cruise on Adventure last September was one of the best RCCL cruises we have been on. It is highly recommended!

Mike

We have sailed Adventure twice with a third time coming up in two weeks. I get nowhere near enough time off to waste a week on a bad ship or bad itinerary. Adventure is an awesome ship and so is the route that she sails.

I'm not sure what your TAs problem is but it is not their job to pick the cruise for you that they would like to take. It is their job to figure out what would be right for YOU. Your TA should be giving you objective information that would allow you to make up your own mind on what ship and route you would enjoy. I would find a new one if I were you.

That line about Adventure not being what people expect an RCI cruise to be is a total crock. Adventure does nothing but keep me coming back.

Im a TA and I have to say the part of the job of a TA is to recommend and provide insight. To say not to go on a ship is a bit far and out of line. I have sent clients on the AOS last year and they did not like it and I have had clients go in the past and they loved it.

As the rep not recommending something that is not uncommon! I have a lovely rep for RCI who says it like it is and is there for us when we need her.

I also have other reps who are fake and think that the garbage they are pushing is the best thing since sliced bread.

Bottom line is that agents need to be honest with clients. I always give pros and cons to ALL lines becuase I want my clients to know what they are going to expect. That is why they came to me. But to say not to sail on a certain ship or line is silly.

Thank you all for your comments. I do trust my travel agent, she has never steered us wrong before . She did say it was highly unusual for a cruise line rep to make those comments so she felt she could not just disregard them.

I realize what is 'fun' to some people is 'rowdy' to others; what is 'boring' , others see as 'relaxing'.

we are trying to deicide among several options and your feedback has been very useful.

The Adventure is our favourite ship! Our TAs recommend every time that we don't book RCI but try Princess as it's their favourite line. That may be so and I also believe that they get a bigger commission from Princess. But it's our vacation and our choice and they make the booking we want. We haven't been disappointed, have no desire to change cruise lines and really hope to cruise on the Adventure again.

em

An agents job is to provide you with suggestions and keep you, their client happy. I am sure they suggested the other ship for a reason. But you should not just drop them over one incident of "trying to be helpful". If you truly want to sail AOS then sail AOS and tell your TA that you and your family have considered what she said but like AOS itinerary better and feel that it is the ship for you.