One of the dreaded questions...spending money

I know this is nearly impossible to answer, but everyone in my family keeps asking how much spending money they will need for our 9 day cruise. I was telling them between $50 and $1000 per person, but I'd like to be a little more helpful than that:p

Could anyone give me the range of prices for alcoholic drinks? Like mixed drinks cost between X and X amount, beer costs between X and X and wine between X and X?

That way they can do their own alcohol consumption calculations to figure out how much they'll spend?:D

If you're putting your shipboard account on a credit card, and not paying it off in cash at the end of the cruise, then you may not need all of that cash!

We gamble, so we do bring cash for that (we don't "charge" gambling expenses!!!) and money for tips, and misc. purchases. The rest of our account is on a credit card, which we'll pay when the bill comes....

Do tell them to bring large bills, as they aren't as "bulky" as $1000 in 20's!!!!! You can get large bills broken down on the ship.

If you're putting your shipboard account on a credit card, and not paying it off in cash at the end of the cruise, then you may not need all of that cash!

We gamble, so we do bring cash for that (we don't "charge" gambling expenses!!!) and money for tips, and misc. purchases. The rest of our account is on a credit card, which we'll pay when the bill comes....

Do tell them to bring large bills, as they aren't as "bulky" as $1000 in 20's!!!!! You can get large bills broken down on the ship.

Yes, I should have clarified...I didn't mean to ask how much cash they will need, but more like how much money will they be spending. I did tell them about the onboard account. I think they are just wanting to know what the "damage" to their credit card will be after the cruise:D

I probably spent about $200 on my 5 day (which is really 4 days) cruise. Drank a LOT of Bud Light and house wine, did one excursion (for only $45), did the recommended amount of tips (for 4 days) and didn't gamble or buy any $20 pictures, despite wanting a couple. So basically I spent a lot on alcohol without getting drunk (although at times I was averaging a beer every 90 minutes to the dot, without even realizing that!).

I also didn't eat in any specialty restaurants because all we had was Johnny Rockets. You'll probably have many more, with much higher charges (like $20pp).

Oh and I blew $30 on bingo.

For 9 days I'd probably assume more like $500 because I'd probably do a couple more shore excursions and drink a lot more beer. And the tips will be higher.

In the past, on 7 night cruises, I barely drank at all so after a week my tab was maybe $150-$200 but I did more shore excursions, which can really suck you dry.

Unfortunately EVERYONE'S spending is different. Follow the old adage: Take 1/2 as much clothes and twice as much money.

We take about $1000 for spending during the week (2of us). Also our S&S is about $1,000 for both of us as well. We do not drink beer or wine onboard. I usually Drink Grey Goose If Stoly ELITE is not avail, and DW drinks Bacardi.

Keith

Sorry, but "Bud Lite" hardly qualifies as beer. ;)

Having spent a week drinking Bud Light exclusively...I have to agree. But I feel less guilty going with the light beers than the much-better regular ones. And of course I had to go for the BL because that's the one that came in a 16-oz bottle. :)

We always take TC'S (and some cash for tips). The two together as a rule = around 1,000$. 75%(tc)/25%cash. We cash in tc's as needed for ports etc.. If there are any tc's left at the end of a cruise we apply them to the sea pass bill on the last night which lowers the cc bill when we get home.

Yes, I should have clarified...I didn't mean to ask how much cash they will need, but more like how much money will they be spending. I did tell them about the onboard account. I think they are just wanting to know what the "damage" to their credit card will be after the cruise:D

Nobody can really give you an answer to this. It all depends upon how much they drink, how much they shop onboard, how many photos they might buy, how often do they gamble. Will they eat at any for-fee venues, play the arcades, use the spa, play bingo, buy any raffles, get their hair done/cut....

Some people don't drink alcohol---some might drink 10 a day...some might not buy a photo...others might buy 4/5.

I'm a solo traveler. I usually have 2/3 drinks a day, don't buy any photos, gamble 2/3 evenings (cards-and I use cash there), rarely buy anything in the gift shops except paperbacks, leave the autotips in place (and usually tip extra - in cash - to room steward and maybe a favorite bartender). I rarely eat in any specialty restaurants where you pay extra for the privilege.....don't book shore excursions... My onboard account is usually in the 250.00 range on a 7-night cruise.

My brother and his wife traveled with me in December in their own cabin....Their onboard account was well over 1000.00....they bought 22 photographs....played bingo, shopped onboard. My brother doesn't drink too much but he only drinks premium single-malt scotch so his bar bill was much higher than mine. My sister-in-law loved all the frou-frou drinks.... While I like the single-malts also, I'd never pay the ship price... I'll stick to the simple drinks like gin and tonic, Campari and soda.

It all depends upon the cruiser.....

On the average, we spend between $150 - $200 a day on our seapass card. We usually don't purchase any pictures but do buy a wine package (around $250) and maybe a few souveniers. One little hint when ordering drinks. Unless you are married to a certain brand of liquor, be sure to specify "well brand" for mixed drinks, the bartenders will always pour "top shelf" brands at a higher price unless you specify other, after all, their tips are a percentage of their sales. Also tell them to use a "regular" glass unless you want to take home a sack full of their souvenier glasses. Whether you keep them or not, you pay for them. This will save you between $1 to $2 a drink and will add up over the course of the cruise.

Aubie

last cruise we were on, my BF and i had $700 in charges for a 5-night cruise. we each drank 3-4 pina coladas by the pool on sea days, and had a glass of wine with dinner, plus a couple of martinis in the club a couple of nights. we also got a massage each (spa stuff is expensive).

Archived