Princess Lodges

bigmjh

Anyone have any experience with the Princess Lodges at Denali / Mc Kinley? In particular what is there in the way of activities/ Restaurants? Are you pretty much "locked in" to eating and staying right at the property? Are there other local businesses and restaurants in the immediate area? transportation? Thanks.

The Denali Princess has plenty of alternative options for dining, and plenty of activities to consider. A major attraction is "Denali Park", http://www.nps.gov/dena some touring operators nearby as well. As only a general comment, hopefully you have the TWT included in your tour?? Would be a priority to make sure, if you don't so to make any possible changes.

As for McKinley Princess, it's out in the middle of nowhere. If traveling by rail, it will be a 50 mile shuttle bus to the lodge. No other businesses in the area, so all food from Princess. Very few nearby activities, a small hiking trail. KEY will be for you to make plans and determine WHAT you are going to occupy your time with, especially if stuck there 2 nights. The nearest town, Talkeetna, is 100 miles round trip. So you do not want to make that transit more than once. The top attraction is flightseeing, and may be your only opportunity for viewing McKinley, if a priority.

You have NO ACCESS to the Denali National Park, like a poster a few days ago thought, and booked a tour, not realizing, they are 150 miles apart.

The McKinley property is very very nice, Denali property so so.

My only disagreement on what Budget Queen had to say is that I didn't think that the McKinley property was any nicer than the Denali property. Our room at the Denali lodge was nicer and newer than the one at McKinley lodge, with a view of the river. Didn't have a view at all from our room at the McKinley lodge. Maybe we were just lucky....well, actually I know we were lucky as we were upgraded to a full suite on the ship!:D

We loved McKinley Wilderness Lodge. While it is very remote as BQ says, we did not feel "stuck" there. It was a great place to relax. The hiking trails are VERY small. There are several optional tours you can book through Princess. Our friends really wanted to go flightseeing, but unfortunately, they weren't able to do to the weather conditions.

We did a hayride - which was a little hokey, but fun. We also did a jet boat ride to a homestead which we thoroughly enjoyed.

We spent very little time in Talkeetna, even though the Moose festival was going on.

Food options when we were there were limited to one "fine" restuarant where we would have had to have eaten at 10PM or the "bar and grill" which had cheaper and delicious food in a casual atmosphere.

We spent 2 nights there.

What does everyone mean by the hiking trails at McKinley being small? Is everyone talking about the width or that they aren't very extensive so that hiking on your own isn't well worth it? Thanks

Sorry I have a couple of other quick questions this time about Denali lodge. We're getting in about 1pm and have the afternoon at leisure. How often to the shuttles from the lodge to the national park run? How long does it take to get there one way? What time does the last one leave and return?

Also has anyone gotten there in the afternoon and then done an excursion or a trip to the NP? Is it a bit rushed? Thanks

There are only a couple of marked hiking trails on the grounds of the McKinley Princess, and they are short in distance-I think even the longer one might have taken only a half hour or so. We enjoyed them, though.

Exactly!

They were also the only place in Alaska that I could actually smell any "green". We walked the two trails early in the morning and it was still dewy out.

Sorry I have a couple of other quick questions this time about Denali lodge. We're getting in about 1pm and have the afternoon at leisure. How often to the shuttles from the lodge to the national park run? How long does it take to get there one way? What time does the last one leave and return?

Also has anyone gotten there in the afternoon and then done an excursion or a trip to the NP? Is it a bit rushed? Thanks

In the past they ran about every 30 minutes, and stopped around 9pm. But, I suggest you call them directly when they open in May for current information. It's about 2 miles, so minutes.

Yes, plenty of people head right into touring, make the most of your short time there.

Thanks for the info - we're on the Princess cruise/tour that flies from Seattle to Anchorage ... then bus to McKinley for two nights ... bus to Denali for two nights ... then catch train to Whittier to board ship. Just wanted to get some idea what's ahead and pre-arrange some excursions, etc. preferably with local or NPS. Anyone have any recommendations here?

The Natural History Tour is included with Princess ... however, in reading other posts, it seems like there will be an option to "upgrade" to the TWT which seems to be the preferred way of seeing the park.

The Natural History Tour is included with Princess ... however, in reading other posts, it seems like there will be an option to "upgrade" to the TWT which seems to be the preferred way of seeing the park.

It may or not be an option. Regardless, you need to pursue either the TWT or the NPS Shuttle. The NHT is worthless.

If you are going in June, do this now!

http://www.reservedenali.com

Anyone that has done the TWT have a suggestion as to what would be the better time ... morning departures (between 5:00AM and 7:30) or afternoon departures (Between 1:30PM and 3:30)? When do you have the better opportunity for spotting wildlife ... and best chance for viewing the mountain? We will be there on July 3rd.

Anyone that has done the TWT have a suggestion as to what would be the better time ... morning departures (between 5:00AM and 7:30) or afternoon departures (Between 1:30PM and 3:30)? When do you have the better opportunity for spotting wildlife ... and best chance for viewing the mountain? We will be there on July 3rd.

I would prefer the morning. That is when we went. Saw lots of bear, a few caribou, dall sheep and a couple of moose. The weather was crystal clear...sun on the snow covered mountain.

Know that weather is a crap shoot. It likely will not snow on you in July, but anything else is possible. Drizzle or real rain is very likely at any time in Alaska.

Definately the morning tours in July are superior since it usually heats up mid day. You can NOT count on any McKinley viewing, and no way predict. So no sense in any priority to any timing based on that.

Thanks for the info - we're on the Princess cruise/tour that flies from Seattle to Anchorage ... then bus to McKinley for two nights ... bus to Denali for two nights ... then catch train to Whittier to board ship. Just wanted to get some idea what's ahead and pre-arrange some excursions, etc. preferably with local or NPS. Anyone have any recommendations here?

Since you will be in Denali for two nights most likely you can upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. The cost of the upgrade is $60pp.

We are looking into the Denali Princess Tour for two nights pre cruise, can someone please tell me what the best tours are for first timers DH and I and twins (age 15)? Has anyone done the Princess Tours and what is your feelings on it? Or is there a hotel or tour that you recommend over this one? Thanks!

We are looking into the Denali Princess Tour for two nights pre cruise, can someone please tell me what the best tours are for first timers DH and I and twins (age 15)? Has anyone done the Princess Tours and what is your feelings on it? Or is there a hotel or tour that you recommend over this one? Thanks!

Sorry, but 2 nights??? Definately compare direct booking a hotel yourself, since Princess will be per person costs, and no bargain. With 2 nights extra, I would get a one way Avis rental car Anchorage/Whittier, and get to Seward in between. Plenty to see and do in the area and FAR superior with this limited time, considering any "princess" add on . IF you had more time, a cruisetour is not the best use of time or money with a group of 4 and especially kids, since they are likely to be the only ones on the touring part. It also is the most costly option seeing the least.

I suggest you do your homework and decide what is your priority for your very limited time. Look at Seward, Talkeetna, Anchorage, then decide which area offers you the most.

Thank you Budget Queen! We could do one more day. Do we need two days at D/Park and what would be your next must see!?

You have 3 nights total?? Does this include your travel day?? You really don't have ideal time for Denali Park, since it is better with 2 transit days, 1 day in the Park, 2 nights at Denali . I don't recommend heading to Denali the same day from east coast flights. Depends where you are sailing out of as well- Seward or Whittier. With more information, I can offer more.

In the other direction, you can consider a day touring Anchorage, and time in Seward. Both have plenty to offer, if of interest? Involve the kids in the decision. Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books and get familiar with the different areas.

Please help! We too will be at McKinley Princess Lodge for 2 nights.

If you went to Talkeetna how long did it take to get there & back?

Is that where you catch the Flight seeing trip?

Thanks Ellen A email would be great elg4144@charter.net

It is an hour bus ride each way, with "scheduled" service by Princess. You might want to call and get the current times when they open in May. Have been reports there is a cost as well.

Yes, flightseeing is available of McKinley out of Talkeetna. I do recommend reservations and doing your homework on the various flightseeing options.

We will be one night at Mckinley Princess Wilderness lodge and 2 nights at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. I had thought of doing the flight seeing while we were at the Denali Wilderness Lodge as we will have more time but wanted to use the Toursaver coupon for Talkeeta Aero Services. How far is Talkeetna from the Denali lodge? This coupon is for an 11 a.m. flight which we would not be able to use while we are at McKinley lodge. Any info would be appreciated..

The McKinley Lodge is 50 miles (one hour) from Talkeetna. If you're at McKinley one night and then go on to Denali, what time do you leave for Denali? On the cruisetour I did last year, we left the McKinley Lodge to go to the train in Talkeetna around 9:30 AM, as I remember. Seems like we got on the train in Talkeetna about 11 AM. So, a flight out of Talkeetna wouldn't work.

Archived