Disappointment on Labadee

We just got off the 2/28 Liberty Eastern Caribbean. We were on Labadee on Thursday 3/5.

The weathe was overcast & grey, rained off & on, occasionally heavy, once or twice the sun manged to come out but not for long. WE KNOW RCL HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE WEATHER - THAT'S NOT OUR BEEF.

We waited for a sunny interval to go ashore. In the meantime we watched the rain, and watched them load the food/provisions onto the boat for transport over to the BBQ (right under our balcony).

We walked around, took a lot of pictures, checked out the construction/expansion for Oasis, did a little bit of shopping. Labadee looks like it would be absolutely wonderful on a nice, sunny day.

Then we tried lunch. It is the only time we have ever been disappointed with RCL's food service. We have never eaten in the specialty restaurants because we think the "regular" food is pretty wonderful. The lines for the BBQ were pretty long, but that was okay. Our food was not very good. Just as I was getting to the front, they brought out a new pan of ribs - they looked pretty good and should have been HOT. They were stone cold. Mr Chew went through the line a little later. He tried the ribs and the chicken. Both stone cold. In fact, they were colder than the potato salad and the coleslaw! They were very unappetizing.

(Mr Chew wants to add that the corn was hot! and very good)

But we were really bummed by this. We were expecting the usual yummy food. This was just not up to their usual standards.

We went back aboard a little later when it started to rain hard again, and had to console ourselves with the food onboard! The food onboard is always good - much better than my cooking!

Has anyone else ever experienced this on Labadee? Our dinner mates all had edible ribs, at least they were warm, and no one else tried the chicken. Maybe we just happened to get the only two servings of ribs and chicken that were cold?

(By the way, we're planning our next cruise on Oasis and are looking forward to trying Labadee again)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in Labadee.

We've been there once before, and only have good things to say about it. The food was tasty. I remember having both chicken and the ribs, and thinking the food was pretty good for what it was.

Sorry you had a bad time. We've been to labadee many times and the food has always been the right temperature. I've eaten the chicken, ribs, burgers, probably everything they offer over the years and never had a complaint. You just 'lucked' out and had a bad day. Next time I wish you lots of sun and hot food! I'm glad you're excited about giving it another try.

The best thing about the food in Labadee is the left-overs. All the food brought onshore stays onshore. This means the Haitian people get our left-overs and appreciate it very much. They don't mind if the chicken or ribs are cold. Did you watch from your balcony when the ship sailed away? People come on their little boats to scour the beach area for items tourists left behind. Anything they can possibly use or sell. Food is the most prized findings. For some it is the only meal they might have had in days. Even if it is dirty they will wash it off and eat it.

Labadee is usually a pretty good beach day. Food has always been up to snuff in my experiences. So sorry you and Mr. Chew got shafted.

Next time you're in Labadee try the zipline! It is awesome. Some have complained because it's not like a canopy tour that you can experience elsewhere. It's the closest I've ever felt like I was flying. And let me just say that I'm afraid of heights! :eek: Dangling at the top of the tower was the worst. But once they let me go it was exhilarating!

And after that you probably won't remember the food... :D

Sorry to hear you food was cold, i remember it being good nothing great but good the lines were long. Glad to hear your going agan.. wish we could come along lol..

The Hatian people were so freindly , and greatful of any tips or even conversation, one man and woman said thankyou to me just for talking with them and listening while they were selling their goods, they said not very many tourist care to just converse with them.. amazing...i find them to be beautiful people. and please take the time when there to thank them for allowing us to visit their island.

as for the food being left behind that is wonderful, but i do hope rccl keeps the food in temp for the people that come to gather the left overs , i dont care what level of income you have if rccl is leaving the food at least i hope they would keep the same standards of food saftey for all, poor or not. i understand being thankful for what ever food you can get your hands on , i would hope we are not leaving them food to wash off.. very sad.. God bless them .. but all walks of life desreve the to be treated equally.

Labadee is usually a pretty good beach day. Food has always been up to snuff in my experiences. So sorry you and Mr. Chew got shafted.

Next time you're in Labadee try the zipline! It is awesome. Some have complained because it's not like a canopy tour that you can experience elsewhere. It's the closest I've ever felt like I was flying. And let me just say that I'm afraid of heights! :eek: Dangling at the top of the tower was the worst. But once they let me go it was exhilarating!

And after that you probably won't remember the food... :D

We would've loved to try the zipline, but Mr CHew is over the limit. We'll see if he can make it the next time. I am a TOTAL chicken, but I think I could practice on that little mini-zipline that's kind of off to the side, not very high, not very long ... and then I could do the one over the water. I think I'd prefer that to the ziplines that go through the trees.

We did sit on the beach for about 20 minutes watching the zipline, but because of the weather not a lot of people used it. The ones who did all seemed to be enjoying themselves!!

Philnpen, I think it's great that the leftovers are left on shore for those who live there. That's the least we/RCL can do for them! We have so much that we take for granted and they have so little. But, knowing that didn't make our food taste any more appetizing!!

At any rate, we are looking forward to trying Labadee again. My SIL & family has been there twice and loved loved loved it.

while we havent been there in a while...we did enjoy our day at Labadee very much and are hoping to get back at some point. We thought the food was quite good and had good weather. Its too bad that you had a different experience. Hopefully your cruise travels take you back there so you can give it another try and have a better time

I've been to Labadee I believe twice and it's never been my cup of tea. I thought the food was fine (I agree that it tends to be on the lukewarm side), but I expect more than "fine" for what I'm paying. *shrugs* The beaches are lovely there, but you can find a beautiful beach on just about any of the other ports. I've only been on the larger ships, and it just seems like Labadee is too small for the Voyager-class and up. We're going to Labadee in our upcoming cruise this July and my hubby and I have already decided that we'll be staying on the ship that day. I far prefer having the ship to ourselves for an afternoon to my third less-than-spectacular Labadee outing. :D

For typical "BBQ" fare, I thought it was fine...true, it wasn't "hot", but then, it's sitting in a tray, open to the ambient temperatures.... Beats going back to the ship to find a bite to eat!

Maybe the rain had something to do with their "warming" techniques!

I think for what it is, its good eatin! I mean, it's BBQ food, its not 5 star cuisine. When was the last time you threw a BBQ for 3600 of your closest friends?....

Also,i think the weather played alot into it, there is no doubt in my mind that the food normally being warm to hot on Labadee has alot to do with the weather outside.

Just think your making a mountain out of a molehill.

And to the poster who said they would be disappointed if it was cooked on gas vs. charcoal, please tell me you were making a joke?.....

I think for what it is, its good eatin! I mean, it's BBQ food, its not 5 star cuisine. When was the last time you threw a BBQ for 3600 of your closest friends?....

Also,i think the weather played alot into it, there is no doubt in my mind that the food normally being warm to hot on Labadee has alot to do with the weather outside.

And to the poster who said they would be disappointed if it was cooked on gas vs. charcoal, please tell me you were making a joke?.....

I agree with everything you said here. It is what it is. I didn't think it was bad by any means, and rather enjoyed it. We were all certainly hungry enough with all the sun and fresh air. And they have Greek Salad which is a favorite of mine!! :D

Reading Comprehension is a must!

Now can someone answer my question without the foolishness

I agree with everything you said here. It is what it is. I didn't think it was bad by any means, and rather enjoyed it. We were all certainly hungry enough with all the sun and fresh air. And they have Greek Salad which is a favorite of mine!! :D

hhhmmm ... yes, it is what it is. What it was, was extremely unappetizing!! While I'm sure the weather doesn't help with the food presentation, they have the kitchen equipment on Labadee to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. We didn't have Greek Salad (or sunshine) to enjoy ... we were looking forward to having a yummy lunch anyway.

This didn't come close to diminishing our enjoyment of the cruise or even of the day on Labadee, but it was still a disappointment. While I've never had to feed 3600 of my closest friends, as another poster mentioned, I have had to feed 500+ on a few occasions ... and I would've been in BIG trouble if things weren't served at the correct temperature! not to mention with the Health Dept :rolleyes: ... when your potato salad & coleslaw are warmer than your BBQ ribs & chicken, something is out of whack!

We have been there probably 4 times. Food was also bearable temp wise. First time the ribs were very fatty but other than that they have also been good. We did miss lunch once because they stopped serving at 2:00p i beleive, but that ok, it's not like there isn't any food onboard. One of our favorate stops.

Can someone tell me if this fool is cooked on a charcoal or gas grill?

I would be upset if I didnt have a real hickory taste.

Sorry, you'll probably be disappointed then. All the food is prepared onboard in the kitchens and then transported to Labadee and kept warm (or not! :p ) in warmers. Nothing is actually cooked/prepared on the beach.

It's just "called" a BBQ - I didn't find it to be anything more than standard picnic fare.

OP, sorry your day was less than stellar. In our family, we had mixed reviews of Labadee - daughter LOVED her day there, the rest of us were just fine with it.

Reading Comprehension is a must!

Now can someone answer my question without the foolishness

I thought they cooked it on the ship and transported it to the island, didn't BBQ it while on Labadee. I could be mistaken, we just walked to the pavillion when they called us. Eating outside on the beach is always great, even if the food is not cooked to perfection or the ribs are cold.

Ms B

I have been there twice , no complaints at all, mind you the weather was

nice . Food was ok , nothing to complain about , it was pretty good actually. I like going around on the tram a few times , then tip the driver $5.00 , and make a friend for life.

Im thinking this is not a "Labadee" issue but rather an issue with the staff in charge of the BBQ. The food comes off the ship and is prepared by the staff from the ship so I dont think that if its good or bad that has anything to do with Labadee. I could be wrong but that is just my initial thought.

That being said, we were just at Coco Cay last month and they actually ran out of ribs not too long after they started serving. Several people were asking where the ribs were or if more were being brought out and a straight answer was never offered.

Sorry, you'll probably be disappointed then. All the food is prepared onboard in the kitchens and then transported to Labadee and kept warm (or not! :p ) in warmers. Nothing is actually cooked/prepared on the beach.

It's just "called" a BBQ - I didn't find it to be anything more than standard picnic fare.

OP, sorry your day was less than stellar. In our family, we had mixed reviews of Labadee - daughter LOVED her day there, the rest of us were just fine with it.

I thought they cooked it on the ship and transported it to the island, didn't BBQ it while on Labadee. I could be mistaken, we just walked to the pavillion when they called us. Eating outside on the beach is always great, even if the food is not cooked to perfection or the ribs are cold.

Ms B

Thanks guys, youre awesome ;)

Man adding barbecue sauce to food( or cooking burgers and dogs) doesnt really make it BBQ, but I digress ( before i get attacked again).

The best thing about the food in Labadee is the left-overs. All the food brought onshore stays onshore. This means the Haitian people get our left-overs and appreciate it very much. They don't mind if the chicken or ribs are cold. Did you watch from your balcony when the ship sailed away? People come on their little boats to scour the beach area for items tourists left behind. Anything they can possibly use or sell. Food is the most prized findings. For some it is the only meal they might have had in days. Even if it is dirty they will wash it off and eat it.

I never knew or noticed this!!! I will have to check it out next time. Maybe I will leave something on purpose!!!!!

Archived