Guaranteed is no guarantee.

lovetoflyfish

Some words of wisdom, and a final plea, from someone new to cruising and for others considering cruising:

1) Do not utilize [agency name removed]!

2) When you make a verbal agreement with whomever is helping you book your cruise - MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE GIVEN AN ELECTRONIC STATEMENT (SUMMARY) OF EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE AGREED UPON TO CONFIRM YOUR WISHES BEFORE YOU GIVE THEM ANY MONEY.

3) Spend more time than you believe is necessary on codes/coding (e.g., if you request/pay for an 8A designated stateroom this does not mean that you will get it).

Seems simple, huh?

We're now finding out, one week from our sailing date, that our travel agent failed to properly key in our reservation, on purpose we have come to find, and I now have to explain to our very excited young daughter that the room and vacation she spent so much time on preparing for our spring-break vacation is going to be less than she expects.

Apparently there is no recourse (am I wrong?) and the travel agent has offered nothing more than some coupon booklets "worth $150". After reading them I find that I would have to spend an additional $1000 (yes, three zeros) plus to realize the $150; what a joke!

For any of you that may have a positive contribution or thought to our dilemma I welcome it in hopes of removing this black cloud hanging over our heads (or a potential one for others) during our/their first-ever cruise.

Thank you and best regards, Lovetoflyfish

So sorry that you are not getting the cabin that you thought you booked. I'm sure you and your family will still have a great cruise.

To other 1st timers. When you book with a TA make sure you get the booking number before you hang up the phone.

Within a day or two log on to the cruise line site, look for my cruise or booked passengers and enter your booking number for absolute confirmation. .

That does sound like your TA and you were not on the same wave length. You state the TA did this on purpose. This thread will probably be pulled for mentioning which TA you used if someone turns it in, but meanwhile I wanted to say Im sorry.

As others have said, if you get the booking # and enter it on the Carnival site you would have seen what was booked, now its he said she said what you meant to book. You didnt say what cabin category you booked, and I assume paid for? At this point, go and enjoy your cruise and dont use that TA again.

Have you asked your TA about paying for a upgrade? Even after final payment if there are balconys left you can pay the difference and move up.

If you bought a 8A or BL guarantee, then it would have guaraneed you got a balcony or Carnival would have compensated you. Sounds like you didnt pay for a guaranteed balcony if Im reading your post correctly.

I always get a email confirmation and also get the booking # and put it in immediately online within the hour if its a cruise coming up soon, so there is time to fix any problems. Good to do for newbies you are right, dont wait. Get to that fun pass which will also show as OBC on the pages on Carnival, so you know you are getting any OBC promised, verify everything. Good advice for almost anything you do, get it in writing.

I'm really sorry this happened. That said, most people don't spend a lot of time in the room anyway, so go enjoy yourselves on other parts of the ship and the ports!! You will still have a great time. I would say to not use that TA again...perhaps booking directly with the cruise line would be better. We do this so we always have control of our reservation. You are right about the coupon books...they are not worth a whole lot.

We, after lengthy discussion with the TA, settled on the 8A stateroom designation.

We were given a quote for this (I had assumed) and then paid for it.

When we received the electronic confirmation we did not recognize right away that only the BL designation was stated.

It was only a week ago (sail date - Mar 29) that we discovered that the room was much lower than the decks previously discussed as well as having lifeboats partially obstructing the view from the balcony (I prefer to sit and enjoy the view).

Apparently there was great discord between us and our TA. A surprise as he was terribly friendly and covered just about everything with the exception of room guarantees.

No, we were not charged for the more expensive designation, we've come to understand, but ultimately we did not get what we wanted for first-time cruisers celebrating our daughter's straight-A performance in graduating Middle School.

Note that she picked the cruise and accommodations.

"On purpose" may seem a bit strong (and I could be wrong) but there had be written dialog regarding our stateroom type request, verified by a supervisor, yet we were still booked for a BL after being quoted, again as we assumed, for an 8A.

You can probably tell that I am comprehensive and am just surprised by this start towards our first cruise.

BTW - Forgive my inadvertent break of CC guidelines, it was not done intentionally and I certainly appreciate every response.

Cheers

So sorry to hear of your misfortune but it is a good reminder to all that we should always be getting everything in writing before paying so we can check that we are paying for what we expected and once payment has been made have a written confirmation of what we just paid for and remember to check it thoroughly as we all our human and mistakes do get made, even when not intentional on anyone's part and when found quickly can usually be corrected. It always seems to be that good old word "assume" that gets us in so much trouble.;)

With your sailing date only a week away am I correct in assuming that there aren't any cabins available that you would prefer to be able to pay to upgrade to? Did you have the TA check on that? Or go to the cruiseline website itself to check? It still could be worth having your TA check each day between now before your sailing to see if any do open up at the last minute.

Try to focus on all the wonderful things that you will enjoy during your cruise experience. Hope you have a great cruise!!:)

The TA has placed us on a list I'm told but I have little confidence in this as the cruise is during spring break and I have checked with with our cruise line to see if I could purchase a more agreeable stateroom; there are none.

Lesson learned...

...so I look for (in no particular order) exceptional weather, meeting people like you on the ship and, perhaps, something alcoholic (joking).:)

It seems like you are on a spirit class 7a balcony. Your obstruction will only be looking strait down. Don't let this bother you so much. Your daughter will spend more time in Camp Carnival then on balcony. Have a great cruise!!:)

...so I look for (in no particular order) exceptional weather, meeting people like you on the ship and, perhaps, something alcoholic (joking).:)

May I suggest that you start your cruise with a Miami Vice!:D with a non-alcoholic version for your daughter !! You will meet some great people, a handful you'll be glad you'll never have to see again, and

then those that will simply amaze you for a variety of reasons;):eek: One thing we can always count on is when we are sailing on Carnival is a wide variety of personalities and individuals sailing with us !:) Don't forget to pack your sense of humor and sense of adventure. Those two things will serve you well no matter what happens. Check out your Carnival Capers each evening to see what you'd like to do the following day but if you don't get to everything don't worry about it either as there's always the next cruise. Don't forget that in the dining room you can order more than one of each coarse if you can't decide or if you'd like to try something new and aren't sure if you'll like it. On the other hand, if all you want is two differerent appetizers and desert then that's all you have to order. Don't forget to try the Chocolate Melting Cake- yummmm, my all time favorite desert on Carnival ! Although sometimes its better than other times so try it twice just in case!;) And spend a few minutes studying the deck plans for your ship before you board. When you board they should give you a small copy of the deck plan to help you get around the ship (if not you can get one from the Pursers Desk) but it can help a lot to feel like you're not totally lost when you first get on board if you've studied the deck plans before you get there. Let us know how it went when you return as I'm hoping you'll decide that your cabin really was just fine. Enjoy!!!!

Hello,

Be prepared for your daughter "abandoning" her parents on the cruise. She is going to meet lots of people her own age and will have so much fun she will not have time for you.

My point...give her lots of freedom on the cruise as she certainly has earned this special type of a vacation, but be upset if she ignores you on the cruise.

I would go to formal nights because it is very special to see your children dressed up for a special party.

And as others have said, your cabin will be fine. It takes a while (even after 27 cruises) to completely understand the ins and outs of the cruise world. Using a guarantee sometimes lowers the price considerably but there is always the chance of having a somewhat less disirable cabin...not a bad cabin just one in a different location.

Calm down and you and your family will have a great time.

Fred

Most people will say that when booking a Balcony Guarantee, as OP's TA apparently did, that the lowest one can receive is an 8A; this timely post shows that SOME people do end up with the 7A rooms when doing that. Only the Spirit class ships have this category, but it is something to be well aware of. I do hope OP finds their obstruction to be minimal and that they have a wonderful cruise.

to the OP..

...For your next cruise, might I suggest, you book directly with the cruise line. They will e-mail you a conformation within seconds of actually making the booking. It will state everything that was discussed.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, I am quickly learning that it is best to book straight with a cruise line as well as an airline.

Yesterday, I received a "confirmation" from an online service that I used to book our flights and found that the itinerary had changed from its initial booking in January and had us arriving at our port city about eight hours after the ship is to set sail!

Incredible!

The service was of no help but the airline was fabulous, arranged for our original booking (in the middle of Spring Break!) and waived the change fees.

It did cost us another 1k+ but it looks as though this will actually happen; we're looking forward to it.

The school of hard knocks is more expensive than I imagined.

Thanks to all; I hope to meet you during the cruise. -L

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, I am quickly learning that it is best to book straight with a cruise line as well as an airline.

Yesterday, I received a "confirmation" from an online service that I used to book our flights and found that the itinerary had changed from its initial booking in January and had us arriving at our port city about eight hours after the ship is to set sail!Incredible!

The service was of no help but the airline was fabulous, arranged for our original booking (in the middle of Spring Break!) and waived the change fees.

It did cost us another 1k+ but it looks as though this will actually happen; we're looking forward to it.

The school of hard knocks is more expensive than I imagined.

Thanks to all; I hope to meet you during the cruise. -L

Let me guess that you are taking a Delta flight. (Note: It is permitted to name names of airlines, hotels, etc. Just not travel agencies or agents) We have had a number of changes when flying them. When this happens you do have to call the airline direct. They have always "fixed" the problem. But it does require constant monitoring. It may be fortunate that you went through an agency for the flight. If you had gone directly to the airline they may or may not have advised you of the changes. You could have arrived at the airport and found the problem the day of your departure:eek:

Charlie

I am sorry to hear what happened.

This is a case of bad travel agent, not all travel agents are bad. I would report the TA to the better business bureau.

The TA I use belongs to many of the same professional networking groups I use. Although you can't get referrals here, may I suggest talking to others in your area of who they use for a TA. I belong to a chamber of commerce and MD, DC, Northern VA networking group. The TA I use is in both. We are on a committee together putting together a business networking cruise leaving from Baltimore next summer.

I checked him and his company out before the cruise I took. Overall we were very satisfied. They made plenty of suggestions and helped us find the best rate for a hotel (which they got no commission for because it was not booked through them).

There are TAs out to just make money, and then there are TAs looking to be a lifelong agent for you. You need to find one that is not worried about making the most from this trip, but the next trip. That is how the major automobile assitance company lost my business. They had an agent who lied to me, in person, straight face, trying to get a larger commission.

to the OP..

As you have found out and if you have cruised (Pun intended) the threads here on CC, there are many a story about TA's. Both good and bad..

I, personally do not use TA's.. It is just another person with their hands out for more of your hard earned cash.. I have a PVP with CCL who always does me right.. (Due to CC rules, I can't give out his name here, wish I could though cause he is great!!)

For your next cruise, might I suggest, you book directly with the cruise line. They will e-mail you a conformation within seconds of actually making the booking. It will state everything that was discussed.

By the way.. crazy343069 AT verizon DOT net ;) You get the idea..

Just put CC in the subject line somewhere.. And NO I am not a TA or do I work for a cruise line..

TA's are paid by the cruiseline.... so your statement is pretty much inaccurate rgearding "holding their hands out for more of your hard earned cash" !

Just as you have a great relationship with your PVP, there are many TA's out there that have this same type of relationship with their clients. And in fact, many times a TA can offer perks to it's clients that the PVP cannot offer.

It's all a matter of finding a TA or PVP that works well with you and meets your needs. And it is a personal choice who to book with.

I'm afraid I don't really see what the issue is.

A 7a IS a balcony cabin. Yes, it's an obstructed view.

As noted, when you are sitting on your balcony, you still can see the water. I believe the tops of lifeboats are level with the floor of the balcony (there are plenty of photos out there on webshots and similar sites).

A quick look at Carnival's website plainly states that "BL" category includes 8A, 8B, 8D, 8F, & 8H, plus the extended balcony categories of 8C, 8E, 8G & 8I, AND the obstructed view category 7A (on Spirit-class ships).

You paid $1,000 more to get an 8A? Sounds like a lot. When I look at Spirit-class ships, the 7A is usually $50-$80 less than an 8A, per person.

But then, I don't book guarantees. I pick the cabin I want.

Sure, would be nice to pay for the lowest possible balcony cabin and be one of the lucky folks who gets a nice "upgrade." But when you book a guarantee, you may also get the cabins that no one else wants.

I've considered booking a 7A. They seem like a great deal for the price.

I don't think anyone was trying to con you and I don't think the TA was horribly wrong. I think perhaps you're just upset that you didn't know what you were booking, which often happens.

So you're laying all the blame on the TA when he/she was simply booking you in the class you selected - a balcony guarantee on a Spirit-class ship.

Sorry you think you were misled. I think you just weren't a well-informed consumer.

Unfortunately you didn't get what you thought you were getting. It can be very confusing for 1st time cruisers to understand all the cruise lingo. Categories can be confusing if you have never cruised before. I'm sorry you are disappointed with the room you were assigned.

The good news is that you will be on a cruise! You will have a wonderful time. Most people don't spend a lot of time in their room, especially on their 1st cruise. They are out and about doing all the activities.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

I'm not so sure this is the OP's fault. OP states they asked for an 8A guarantee. TA booked them into a balcony guarantee. OP was assigned a 7A room. TA was in error because they thought or implied or told their client that a balcony guarantee was the same as an 8A gurantee, perhaps told them it was cheaper. Never mentioned that a 7A was a possibility. May or may not have saved client money, not clear from original post.

Yes, OP may not be up to speed on the differences between the various grades or what they mean, but hello, that is what the TA is for. To explain the differences.

...Yes, OP may not be up to speed on the differences between the various grades or what they mean, but hello, that is what the TA is for. To explain the differences.
I do (did) know the difference between 8A and BL. The only reason I accepted an 8A designation was that the TA suggested that we take this rather than a specific room to save money for excursions, etc.

Remember that the TA's supervisor affirmed our request of an 8A room.

Anyway, it's a moot point now.

For the most part we had a great time even when we chose to sit on the balcony and stare, not only at the water, but the lifeboats and the lovely blue tarps draped over the wire cable above the boats.

The food was pleasant; sometimes spectacular and then sometimes disappointing.

Most appealing were the people that we met (for the most part) and the excursions that we took.

St. Maarten is not like it was 20-40 years ago; its charm has given way to endless "jewelry" shops that boggle the mind and while the selection of some goods is excellent the prices are way above credible online merchants and quite a few reputible eBay sellers as well.

I got a lot of sage advice on the ship from passengers as well as a few crew members (those not touting free gold) for the trip and future trips.

Thanks a lot for all of the helpful suggestions and comments.

I look forward to meeting you on our next cruise. -Lovetoflyfish

Archived