Would you fly Singapore Airlines?

Coastaljen

I hate to sound like a wimp, and flying doesn't normally bother me, but I knew nothing about SA before I booked them yesterday for my flights at Christmas.

Today I started thinking I really should look into their safety record. I happened to "wander" onto a website (not a safety website) where people were discussing how SA doesn't have adequate training, have a poor record of safety, etc. They mentioned some fatal crashes, etc...

Now I normally love, love, love flying, but I go with airlines I know which make me feel safe... Delta and Qantas.

Do you feel like SA is safe? I honestly don't know the difference between any of the airlines in Asia..and I "thought" I recognized the name of this one, as opposed to some with China and Korea in the title, so I booked it.

Thoughts?!!!

I hate to sound like a wimp, and flying doesn't normally bother me, but I knew nothing about SA before I booked them yesterday for my flights at Christmas.

Today I started thinking I really should look into their safety record. I happened to "wander" onto a website (not a safety website) where people were discussing how SA doesn't have adequate training, have a poor record of safety, etc. They mentioned some fatal crashes, etc...

Now I normally love, love, love flying, but I go with airlines I know which make me feel safe... Delta and Qantas.

Do you feel like SA is safe? I honestly don't know the difference between any of the airlines in Asia..and I "thought" I recognized the name of this one, as opposed to some with China and Korea in the title, so I booked it.

Thoughts?!!!

Hi Coastaljen,

Singapore Airlines is one of the best around, it is constantly winning service awards. We love the airline and would fly this one over Qantas anytime, (and we are Australians). You will not be disappointed.

Kind Regards

Chris

Thanks a ton.

I just started worrying that they were a poor airline with inadequately trained pilots. Of course anyone can say anything on the internet and on websites, so I just need to remember that.

That website consisted of people arguing for and against SA.

Thanks! I kind of wondered about that. It is just people tend to be comfortable with the familiar. Delta is a common name in the U.S. Singapore Airlines... I heard one person mention them, and that is all I knew.

I am excited to leave... but I have awhile to wait. :)

The level of service on board Singapore Airlines is second to none. We flew with them in Jan from LHR to SIN on the new double decker Airbus A380, wow what a plane :eek:. We also flew from SIN to SYD with Singapore Airlines and had the same great service, far better than I have experienced with US, AA, NW, KLM, Virgin or BA to name but a few.

It's my favourite airline. They really are top quality in terms of service, friendliness, food, entertainment, etc. And their safety record is really good for an airline. Don't worry about it - enjoy your flight!

Safety standards are simply great. The only crash I have in mind was a B747 taking off from Tapei which got into a wrong runway while renovations were going on. At the end, I think SQ was cleared because the controllers had given the pilot the wrong indications for the runway. Silkair one (franchise) was due to pilot suicide although nothing was proved definitely.

Never heard that pilots were badly trainned or the maintenance was bad. You could hear about incidents, but as in any other airline. I wouldn´t worry. In fact, I am flying with them in June.

Edited by keltic

The level of service on board Singapore Airlines is second to none. We flew with them in Jan from LHR to SIN on the new double decker Airbus A380, wow what a plane :eek:. We also flew from SIN to SYD with Singapore Airlines and had the same great service, far better than I have experienced with US, AA, NW, KLM, Virgin or BA to name but a few.

I second all that has been said about the positive aspects of Singapore Airlines.

Cabin service is second to none and the planes are modern and well maintained. Of all the airlines that service our area (New Zealand/Australia) I would choose Singapore Airlines (SQ) for preference.

You will find, as a rule, that service on most long distance flights is vastly superior to that on US/Canadian continental airlines.

SA is one of my favorite airlines. Much better than any US Airlines in services, food, and safety. Actually it's my second favorite right behind JAL. We are going to Asia this summer. Unfortunately we are not using Singapore Airlines or JAL because we are taking a tour package.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Coastaljen,

Singapore Airlines is one of the best around, it is constantly winning service awards. We love the airline and would fly this one over Qantas anytime, (and we are Australians). You will not be disappointed.

Kind Regards

Chris

ditto to this from 2 more Aussies, we have done Qantas once, never again.

We love Singapore Airlines to go to Europe, and Thai Air are good too.

If we go the US/ Canada direction we use Air NZ.

NEVER AGAIN QANTAS.

bear in mind, that you are going to Asia in one of their the hottest months,

it will be sooooooo humid,(but then again it's rarely cold unless you go to Japan area)

so bring very cool light clothing

Edited by jannandjohn

ditto to this from 2 more Aussies, we have done Qantas once, never again.

We love Singapore Airlines to go to Europe, and Thai Air are good too.

If we go the US/ Canada direction we use Air NZ.

NEVER AGAIN QANTAS.

bear in mind, that you are going to Asia in one of their the hottest months,

it will be sooooooo humid,(but then again it's rarely cold unless you go to Japan area)

so bring very cool light clothing

Hi jannandjohn,

Great to hear you compare Air NZ to Singapore Airlines, we will be flying NZ for the first time to Vancouver this year on a recommendation of a Canadian friend. Good to have some confirmation from a fellow Aussie.

Happy cruising

Chris

I have always heard rave reviews of Air NZ compared to Qantas. I just meant that I felt safe with Qantas. I would do Air NZ too, but it is $$$$.

My neighbor is a pilot, and he said Singapore Airlines is great.

Thanks for the clothing advice. I don't have a lot of light clothing except shorts, and I know that you really aren't suppose to wear shorts except in Hong Kong, so I will shop for some extremely light casual dresses that go below the knee.

I'd say flying Singapore Airlines is safer than flying any American carriers. For one thing, Singapore is not a third world country like Burma. It's a very highly developed, economically and technologically, country, more advanced than our good-old USA in many ways. If US is half as efficient and clean as Singapore, we would be in great shape. The efficiency, cleanliness, honesty, what-have-you of Singapore is mind blowing, and the same goes with her airlines. If I'm flying in southeast Asia, I'll try to see if there's anyway I can use Singapore or Silk Air(short distance carrier of Singapore Air), because I try to avoid flying Indonesian or other local airlines as much as possible. I avoid China Air, too. But Singapore Air, anytime.

Edited by simonv

I have always heard rave reviews of Air NZ compared to Qantas. I just meant that I felt safe with Qantas. I would do Air NZ too, but it is $$$$.

My neighbor is a pilot, and he said Singapore Airlines is great.

Thanks for the clothing advice. I don't have a lot of light clothing except shorts, and I know that you really aren't suppose to wear shorts except in Hong Kong, so I will shop for some extremely light casual dresses that go below the knee.

Their is several types of safety.

The training and experience of the pilots. Nothing in my mind results in a safer pilot then combination of experience and a culture of safety first.

The other type of safety is mechanical safety. In some ways if the corporate culture has safety up there then both pilots and mechanical will be there. If a airline isn't making money, and many aren't I would suspect that mechanical maintenance will be one thing examined for cost opportunity. Not saying cut to the bone, but you know what I'm saying ;)

Having flown Singapore, Cathay, JAL, Northwest, American, United, China, and EVA to the far east my preference order is as listed. Between service, security and safety I'll take the Tier1 asian over ANY US based carrier.

I dream of one day being able to fly Singapore Air! Their stellar reputation for service usually makes them extremely expensive to fly. If you randomly chose a flight and it ended up being Singapore, thank your lucky stars!

My best flight experience ever was on Cathay Pacific. To the posters above to laugh at the comparison of Asian carrier service to that of US carriers, you are sooooo right on. We should open our skies to domestic flights by international carriers and let these miserable US airlines all go bankrupt. If Americans knew how terrible we had it vis a vis most of Asia & Europe we'd never stand for it.

Enjoy your Singapore Air experience for the rest of us.

I have heard great things about Singapore Airlines in the past. On our last cruise, we flew Silk Air (a division of Singapore Airlines) from Cambodia to Singapore, and the service was great. Before we took off, I started reading my book, and the flight attendant walked by and automatically switched the light on for me. The in-flight crew was extremely friendly, attentive and professional, and I particularly noticed it at the end of my cruise when I boarded my country's leading airline (not to mention names, but I'm sure anyone can figure it out). If the pilots equal the professionalism of the flight attendants, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thoughts?!!!

The airline code for Singapore Air is SQ, not SA. SA is South African airways. So perhaps you were reading about the wrong airline?

You may want to google the safety records of the US Airlines. You will find that most or possibly all of the US Airlines have worst safety records than Singapore Airlines.

By googling airline accident records I came up with this link:

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

According to the plane crash info, the US has the top 4 spots for world wide airlines over a 20 year reporting time time period.

1) Delta

2) Southwest

3) Northwest

4) Continental

Lowest reported US mainline airline:

77) Airtran based on the ValueJet crash in 96.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat... and I just got off Delta in Minneapolis. I prefer not to think about it. :-)

You should think about it, #1 means that Delta is one of the safest airlines on earth. Contrary to Philip217's claim, US airlines are as safe or safer as any that exist.

Edited by SelectSys