Just off Crown 3/29-4/5

flbeachmom

Such a sad day today off the ship on Sunday and on Jury duty all day Monday!!

This was my first Princess cruise so i hope my post will help any first timers.

We were a family of 2 adults 39/49yrs (and 3 kids 13,15,9).

ROOMS---We had 2 cabins almost across from each other on deck B 409 Balcony and 337 inside. I have to say the inside is small- but comparable to other inside rooms on other lines. Glad we only had 2 people in that room. The balcony was nice with 2 chairs and a small table and it was a covered deck that i liked. I loved the room location as we were mid ship and about 6 cabins from elevator. It was very quiet which is the most important thing.

If you are reading about the movement of the ship and are worried don't give it a thought. We did have very calm seas last week but i felt nothing as far as movement. Friends of ours who went with us were on Dolphin deck Mini D 118. They did say they were awaken sometimes with a lot of shuttering. I think maybe in their room they could feel us docking at the various ports. But nothing in Baja mid ship. As for vibrations i did feel some but i think that is because i was looking for it.?? Probably i had the same vibrations on other ships i have been on -just never noticed.

The food was good no better or worse than any other line except maybe Disney was better. I did exercise every day and still gained 4 lbs. And Hey i did do a homestyle dinner one night , don't knock it.

The Buffet i could always get a table, just go all the way to the back, most people stopped at the first sign of food. There are about 3 buffet stations on each side and again go to the back because it is less crowded. The buffet areas are small but there are many of them so i did not see this as too big of a deal. Not to big of a food selection but i always found something to eat. We had anytime dining and made reservations every night at the same time for the week. We also found a server we loved and requested him for the remainder of the cruise. And most people did dress up for formal night ( men tux/suits, women- dresses)I know this is a big deal on CC so i thought i would let you know. More people dressed up for the first night and on the second formal night i did see quite a few men in pants and golf shirts. My hubby wore a suit with no tie ( he wears one everyday to work so i let him off on this one). However on the other cruise lines wearing his Tommy Bahama Silk shorts have never been a problem during NON formal nights, but they were at Sabitinis (SP) he had to go put pants on. So i would say Princess is a little stricter with dress code. Bring the formal wear or eat in the buffet. And the Wheelhouse Pub on sea days has yummy fish and chips and cottage pie and its free also.

Entertainment was weak. The Crowns theater is small so they have to repeat shows over 2 days. The comedy was ok and the magic show was good. I was not fond of the cruise director he was very corny but the Asst cruise director i think his name was Dave was great. The kids did ceramics at sea and My Hubby took part in ping pong contest and won. My Teens had a great time on the ship with discos and hot tub parties (YIKES). They meet quite a few friends from all over and exchanged email and myspace. The 9 year old is in that in between stage and she did things with daddy on sea days. We did the MUTS one night and that is a nice touch so make that a must.

Sea Days- We did pay for half a day in the Sanctuary and that was worth not fighting chair hogs. I do wish there was a quiet deck like we have had on other ships. Deck 7 would be that deck but they only had chairs and not loungers like we have found on other lines. The Sanctuary Pool that anyone can use (not just those that pay the $20) was our hang out from about 4pm-6:30pm. Loved it and that is where we discovered our quiet zone.

PORTS[/u][/u]

Our first stop was Princess Cay. Loved it we were there till the last tender.

ST Maarten- took cab to Mullet bay. our fav. beach we have been there many times because not the normal tourist stop -$12 round trip cab fare. However the traffic is so bad in that island now it took almost 2 hrs to get back to ship. might not do mullet bay again. We made it to the ship with plenty of time but there was a party on board that was very late and the ship waited for them over an hour due to traffic.

St thomas- as we were having b.fast that morning we docked we saw what looked like a water taxi going back and forth so when we got off the ship we asked about it. At the port they said no water taxi, and when we said we saw one they said no go check with your excursion desk. We walked to the side of port (5mins.) and asked where the taxi was going. Needless to say we took the water taxi to beach Very inexpensive. It was a great find. Taxis were expensive at port.

Grand Turks- Loved it beach right off ship and a pool all for free!! Oh do bring water shoes as beach is rocky.

Exercise I did not use the gym but hubby did every day i believe he used the treadmill. I typically hate treadmills so i ran on deck 7 with several other early morning runners in the morning about 7am. No one seemed to mind as they all were very friendly and said hi everytime i passed by. I also think we were all very kind to the walkers and did not run anyone down. The jogging track is a joke more for remote control cars not runners. Even a crew member said to go there just not to say he sent me.LOL The walkers seemed to be more mid morning so do your run early. I also did a stairs workout, up and down from deck 15-4 12xs it took a little over 30 mins. Not sure what time it was but the stairs were pretty deserted. I think most take elevator. Now that was a workout! After the third trip it was easy and i could run up and down.

Cruse Staff- The best on any ship ever!! it was great form buffet to dining room to room steward to bar tenders ect. I have to say the one thing that stands out about the Crown was the great and friendly service we recieved! The only buffet where you are waited on, my room steward was around when i needed him (Maribou,) always with a smile, knew me and each member of my family by name on the first day. Cant say enough good things.

Overall if i got a good deal i would choose Princess Crown, Each cruise line i have been on all offer something i love so I think as long as i am on a ship Im happy!!!!

Happy cruzin

Believe the Water Taxi went to Water Island--about a 5 minute ride from the Marina at Crown Bay. It has an irregular schedule but it is posted on the pier just in front of the big restaurant in the Marina. If I remember right it leaves around 1015 AM and has return trips around 1430 and 1530. The beach is very calm with lots of sand. A catering truck comes around noon and sells hamburgers, etc., soda and beer. Very quiet.

and had one one question. Well actually I have a thousand questions, but only one that is truly important as I still need to book my flight home. (I know, I'm way last minute on this) What time did the ship dock and how quickly could you get off?

Thanks in advance and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the tips. It will be our first time on Princess as well.

Teresa

So, on formal nights, would they let people into the dining room in pants and short sleeved shirts? I hate suits on a cruise (I have to wear them at work, so I cannot understand why you would have tu put them on on vacation...).

There is really no info I can find in the cruise answer boos.

So, on formal nights, would they let people into the dining room in pants and short sleeved shirts?

2009 Cruise Answer Book page 10:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

2009 Cruise Answer Book page 15:

"Formal:

Evening gowns, cocktail dresses, or elegant pant suit for women.

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men."

and had one one question. Well actually I have a thousand questions, but only one that is truly important as I still need to book my flight home. (I know, I'm way last minute on this) What time did the ship dock and how quickly could you get off?

Thanks in advance and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the tips. It will be our first time on Princess as well.

Teresa

We were on this cruise as well. The ship docked around 7am (usually I think it gets into port a bit earlier), and disembarkment for those doing the Express Walk-Off began around 7:20. We were in one of the first groups off, and were at FLL by 8am if that helps.

Mike

So, on formal nights, would they let people into the dining room in pants and short sleeved shirts? I hate suits on a cruise (I have to wear them at work, so I cannot understand why you would have tu put them on on vacation...).

Hi, I think someone posted the cruise guidelines about the formal night dress code, but I will tell you our experience last week.

We went to the Michaelangelo dining room for dinner the first night, got a table we wanted, and could tell we had a good wait staff. One of the head waiters came over to our table and asked us if we wanted to reserve that table for the week. I told him yes, but we would not be here for formal nights, since we did not bring any formal night clothing, only smart casual. He told me not to worry about it, and come on the formal nights anyway. I reiterated to him that I didn't think that was allowed, and we hadn't planned on it, but he insisted it would be fine. So we did. I wasn't real comfortable with it, but since he offered, we participated and really enjoyed the week of dining.

Mike

Hi, I think someone posted the cruise guidelines about the formal night dress code, but I will tell you our experience last week.

We went to the Michaelangelo dining room for dinner the first night, got a table we wanted, and could tell we had a good wait staff. One of the head waiters came over to our table and asked us if we wanted to reserve that table for the week. I told him yes, but we would not be here for formal nights, since we did not bring any formal night clothing, only smart casual. He told me not to worry about it, and come on the formal nights anyway. I reiterated to him that I didn't think that was allowed, and we hadn't planned on it, but he insisted it would be fine. So we did. I wasn't real comfortable with it, but since he offered, we participated and really enjoyed the week of dining.

Mike

That seems to be the typical attitude of most head waiters and as long as people don't look like total slobs although nor formal, their dress will be tolerated.

Teresa

We did express check out and you have to register for that. then you are given a number as to when you can leave ship with your luggage you carry out yourself. You can only participate if you only have one piece of luggage and you have to have a hand free to hold on to the rail. I had a rolling suitcase and a duffel bag and just held everything in one hand and that was fine. That day we were held up i think on getting the shipped cleared so our time was more like 8am instead of the 7:20 time we were given. You are supposed to go to the dining room until they call your number but we were all lined up around deck 5 i think it was. Anyway we still got out earlier than we would have. Have a great time on your cruise!!

Self disembarkation only requires that you take everything with you when you leave the ship, not that you only have one bag.

That is the Princess rule. However inside the terminal they will not let you on the escalator unless you have one hand completely free.

Yes, you can take the one elevator, but you join the possibly long line waiting to use it.

That is the Princess rule. However inside the terminal they will not let you on the escalator unless you have one hand completely free.

Yes, you can take the one elevator, but you join the possibly long line waiting to use it.

We're always the last off & there's never any wait for the elevator. I guess that's why I never noticed the difference.

Yes, we make sure we have a hand free to take the escalator. Even with Express Walk-off, there is a line for the elevator, and the escalator is much, much faster.

Mike

I also did a stairs workout, up and down from deck 15-4 12xs it took a little over 30 mins. Not sure what time it was but the stairs were pretty deserted. I think most take elevator. Now that was a workout! After the third trip it was easy and i could run up and down.

I LOVE doing the STAIRS!!! It is my favorite work-out. I always go about 4:30 when everyone seems to be either relaxing in their rooms or getting dressed for dinner or having a snack. I agree with you about most people take the elevator. I find that very few people go up or down the stairs and those that do usually are just as much of a fitness buff as I am !

We too, just got off the Crown, and I was very disappointed at how some people were dressed in the dining room. We saw jeans and tank tops, shorts and flip flops. Maybe not such a big deal to some, and I appreciate that some men have to wear a suit every day, but I have never seen this on Celebrity or RCCL. To us, dressing up "smart casual" , or "formal" and going to a lovely dining room for dinner, is an event..... not just having dinner at some old diner. We were very disappointed that Princess standards have dropped. Also, beware of the Internation Cafe, and coffee cards. We purchased 2 coffee cards, one for each of us, and the "King of Coffee" (mentioned in the review section) would only give us 1 regular coffee at a time, even though we were both standing there with 2 cards, that said unlimited regular coffee. What is up with that??????

Well, Coffee King should have given you 2 coffees. If I spent the money on 2 cards and could only get one coffee, I would have gone over his head to get that resolved. Although little things like this don't make or break a cruise, arguing over unlimited coffee that you paid for isn't how I want to spend my vacation.

I'll be on my first Princess cruise very soon, am buying the coffee card and thanks to cc....... I am ready for Coffee King :D

In fairness to Princess, I have seen flip flops, jeans, and t-shirts on RCCL in the main dining room for dinner.

Flbeachmom, thanks for your review. It was relevant for me since my kids are 9 and 11 and we will be on the same ship in eight days. Your review provides a great deal of practical information and you did so without an agenda. I love reviews like that.

I am glad you liked this itinerary and Princess Cays. I am not overly excited about Grand Turk. We chose a ship stingray/snorkel excursion and the rest of the stuff we are doing on our own (ferry to St John, cab to Orient Bay in St Martin). I have read mixed on Princess Cays. But I am always up for a good beach day.

I wouldn't think you could get away with shorts in any dining room, including Crown Grill or Sabatinis. We will do both but I'll be in khakis and button down shirt. I am not sure I am even going to bring jeans (as much as I love wearning them). They don't seem appropriate for smart casual and when else would I really wear them on a Caribbean cruise. It's just one less thing I need to pack.

Archived