Is This Right?

Suite Travels

I was going over my invoice for our upcoming Odyssey cruise in Novemeber the deposit required was 25%. Is this standard for Seabourn?

Our Crystal cruise for 2010 only required a 5% deposit.

Yes, a 25% deposit is required, and is fully refundable before final payment is due (90 days before sailing). The 5% deposit on Crystal was only implemented recently as incentive to book. (was 10%)

Host Dan

I suspect the 25% deposit has a lot to do with the size of the ships. I realize that the Odyssey is 450 passengers but the triplets can only carry around 200 passengers. And, I think that the cruise line wants to know that those who book the cruise are serious about the sailing, even though the deposits are refundable. Another cruise line, Sea Dream which carries 100 passengers requires a 25% deposit as well. I suspect that if it was a big issue that Seabourn would have adjusted the deposits accordingly.

I realize that Crystal has adjusted their deposits for 2010 but I think that this was driven by the bookings that they were seeing.

Given the interest rates that one would realize right now for cash in the bank that is not commited to a term length, we know we are not losing much in terms of interest.

Keith

Archived