Just a Tip to the "directionally challenged"

When I'm first onboard, I find that I have trouble telling the port side from the starboard side of the ship, especially when inside the promenade or the hallways, and therefore find myself confused as to which hallway I need to be in to get to our room..

On the Liberty in November (after 3 previous RC cruises) I finally noticed something (not sure if it's the same on ALL ships)..on one side of the ship, the carpets are (for example) blue with a peach/beige pattern...and on the other are the same peach, but with a blue pattern...same carpet, just a reverse of the colors...

This really helped a lot, especially when I was first getting my bearings down...not a big deal, but might help someone!!!

:)

Oh thank you for this post. I am so dense sometimes, I've never noticed. What a big help. Usually for the first day or so, expecially if I use the elevators I always choose the wrong hallway for our cabin.

Same here, Temple...I'm ok with the fore and aft, and I'm ok with which floor, but whether I need to go left or right to get to the proper hall is what throws me off...the rest of it, I'm ok with-and I get acclimated to quickly-what floor things are on, etc...(and yes, what day of the week it is. ;) )...its just the port/starboard thing...and not sure whether the colors change fore/aft...we usually don't venture down the halls that are all staterooms too far unless there's something specific on those floors we need to get to. It made it really easy, because we were in a hump, so the carpet thing really helped a lot...

...and it gets only worse after the first "umbrella drink" or two. ;)

Only the Voyager and Freedom class ships have the different color carpet for port/starboard. All the other ships have the same color carpet on both sides. A good way to tell which side of the ship your cabin is on, is to look at the artwork in front of your hallway.

When I'm first onboard, I find that I have trouble telling the port side from the starboard side of the ship, especially when inside the promenade or the hallways, and therefore find myself confused as to which hallway I need to be in to get to our room..

On the Liberty in November (after 3 previous RC cruises) I finally noticed something (not sure if it's the same on ALL ships)..on one side of the ship, the carpets are (for example) blue with a peach/beige pattern...and on the other are the same peach, but with a blue pattern...same carpet, just a reverse of the colors...

This really helped a lot, especially when I was first getting my bearings down...not a big deal, but might help someone!!!

:)

sure wish you had posted this last month before I went on Liberty.:o Oh well at least I know for next years cruise on Freedom. :p I am sure my DH did not notice it either. I guess I can play the smarty pants next time. ;) thanks

We used to be loyal 'Princesses' and they have different colour carpets for port and starboard!! Took about a dozen cruises to find this out. Quite useful.

I think its on the Jewel that on one deck the ship sign points the wrong way. Wonder if that's been changed!!?? Lots of people reported it to the Front Desk, but every time we have been on, its the same!! So funny!!

This must be a relatively new development as Princess was the only one that had color code the carpet. While not as important on ships where all of the elevator banks faced forward or aft but when you have 3 banks (forward, midship, and aft) and two out of the three face one direction and the third face another, this helps out immensely.

Look at the lights by the cabin doors. They are different on each ship, but they have an aft and bow to them. If you learn which way they face you will always know which way to go. Some ships have the carpet color some not, but they all seem to have the lights (this gleaned from these boards). I also make a copy of the ship layout to carry. They used to have a small tri-fold you could carry with. Now I make my own.

Here is another tip. On Freedom class ships on deck Five there is a ship with the decks on it when you leave the elevators that tell you what is on which deck. Also as you enter the Promenada there is the ship point aft and forward with the dame drawings on it. so if you get lost or can't remember which deck look for this reminder.

This ship also appears just as you enter the elevators on each floor.

This is an interesting thread - and I am definitely one of the "directionally challenged". You know what I mean - I can follow a map to a destination, but to get home again I have to turn the map around!

I am a first time cruiser and was wondering if we should take our book with the deck layouts printed in it - or are there lots of maps and deck plans posted where we will need them around the ship ?

I always study the deck plans before cruising because my DW depends on my knowing where everything is (yes, sometimes I'm just guessing what deck something is on and which direction it is in and get lucky - but I still take credit for knowing :) ). Taking your own set of deck plans with you is a good idea because I have not seen a handy deck plan brochure given out on the several cruises we have been on - at least on the Voyager class ships. With that said, once you have been on a cruise on a Voyager or Freedom class ship you will find it fairly easy to know your way around on subsequent cruises for those and sister ships.

Some cruisers chose not to learn about the layout of the ship in advance (other than cabin location) because there is so much joy and wow factor in exploring the ship for the first time if you do not know where everything is located on the ship. I suppose there is some truth in not knowing.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just always try and find a window and see which way the water's moving, LOL. :p I know the Disney ships have that carpet difference too, but I can never remember which is which. And even knowing the Magic like my own backyard, I still often end up walking half the ship in the wrong direction... But then, I am some exponent of "directionally challenged" -- I'm happy every day when I can find my way home from work again. :rolleyes:

-gina-

To locate my room I take a couple of bright colored net shower scrubbies to hang on the outside of the door or on the door numbers, another use for dental floss. I can look down the hall and if I don't see them I know to turn around. Also if they are taken I am not out much. I also use them to put on my luggage to help identify them.

Archived