Question for those who use TA

Peteymil

I also agree with ghstudio. I had one TA for several years and she provided excellent service for a while. I also sent referrals and groups to her. Then it just seemed to decline - she wouldn't return calls and was difficult to contact. The TA I have now has not disappointed yet. Always prompt to reply to emails or calls, watching for price drops, etc. On the cruise we are departing for today, we changed cabins 3 times for upgrades and she was wonderful every time. I have sent her business from friends and relatives, too. BTW, I hand out her business card at least once a week. When she mailed our documents for this cruise, I asked her to put in a LOT of business cards - I had run out!

Basically, it's the excellent service she provides that keeps me coming back. And I am confident she will put the customer's best interests first. I asked her one time why she would offer us a higher category cabin for significantly less and lose commission. Her reply was that it is more profitable for her to have repeat customers who feel confident the TA is working for them. She certainly won my business, and I have sent her several referrals. I have never had a dispute with a cruise line, and, hopefully, an advocate for the customer would make settling less complicated.

It really does pay to shop around for a TA that will give you the best gift for booking with them. Also make sure they don't tack on any fees for canceling cruise before final payment.

If the only thing you're looking at is price, I agree. But I use my travel agent for her expertise as well as for reasonable prices. I'm sure I could get an OBC that's $50 higher if I shopped around, but I personally will pay that amount for an agent who knows the product, knows what I want, and gives me good advice. (We've also gotten price decreases of over $3500 since we booked our two cruises this summer, and my agent's only response was, "I'm happy for you." No charges for the changes, no whining because she got a lower commission.)

But it's a personal choice.

If the only thing you're looking at is price, I agree. But I use my travel agent for her expertise as well as for reasonable prices. I'm sure I could get an OBC that's $50 higher if I shopped around, but I personally will pay that amount for an agent who knows the product, knows what I want, and gives me good advice. (We've also gotten price decreases of over $3500 since we booked our two cruises this summer, and my agent's only response was, "I'm happy for you." No charges for the changes, no whining because she got a lower commission.)

But it's a personal choice.

I agree with you. If getting the largest OBC is your only criteria for booking with a particular TA, you may spend an inordinate amount of time looking, because there will probably always be someone who will offer you a slightly larger OBC to book with them. OBCs are great and most good TAs will offer them, but the service that a good TA provides, his or her knowledge of the cruise industry and particular lines and ships, knowledge about the destinations you will visit, and knowledge of any specific things that make your expectations or requirements different from the next person, all contribute to a successful client/TA relationship. I guess it all comes down to your priorities and if price or OBCs are the only things important to you, go with the agent or agency that offers you the lowest price or the biggest on board credit. If you want someone who will work with you to get you the best cruise experience, which may be quite different from the lowest price, ask questions before you book with anyone and then pick someone with whom you can develop a long and rewarding relationship.:)

i have brought the subject up to my TA about any sort of obc or such and have been told (ALTHOUGH I AM QUITE SKEPTICAL) that different TA's include whatever obc they may be offering into the final price as some sort of additional tax or escalated price in order to offer it as an incentive. she went on to say that it is illegal (in canada anyway) to discount cruises, unless it has been discounted directly from the cruise company itself? Is that true? we booked 3 cabins (for myself/dh, my 2 18yr old sons, my mother/daughter) and we got nothing...she also claimed that she has never seen a price go down by more than $40pp when booked as we did 6 months in advance. we are booked on the celebrity summit 12 day med cruise in august, so the total pkg price she got from us incl airfare is a pretty penny....

We booked our two summer cruises (see my signature) a year out. Over that time, our family of 3 has benefitted from over $3,500 in price reductions, without having to rebook. It may not happen in Canada, but it does in the United States.

she also claimed that she has never seen a price go down by more than $40pp when booked as we did 6 months in advance. we are booked on the celebrity summit 12 day med cruise in august, so the total pkg price she got from us incl airfare is a pretty penny....

The Summit med cruises have dropped dramatically this summer (I know I got a great deal for July and I have checked August prices as well). Do you have an itemized invoice so you know exactly what you are paying for each item? Is the airfare through the cruise line or booked separately through the TA? You've got to be able to find out what fare you're paying for you cruise so you can compare it to what is being offered currently on the Celebrity website

The only case where it might not have gone down is if you're in a fancy suite that is sold out.

PS you might want to consider not using a screen name here that is specific to a trip, or that has a typo in it.

we were like you in the begining first we used a travel TA who got us hooked on cruising ,and then we had a problem on a cruise and the ship will tell you that you need to talk to your travel agent. We have since realized that the couple of hundred dollars or a couple bottles of wine we may get from a TA is not worth it . Sometimes the price of a cruise can change 2 times in a day and the TA is not aways available to take your call. I can switch rooms and do what ever I want when I want, Celebrity has given me my own planner and he works harder for me than any TA has ever. So..... the more you cruise the more we learn

quick question....is your "planner" a Celebrity rep? I've used X directly last 2 cruises, and any changes, price reductions, etc have come from my own research. He doesn't "work hard" for me...I do it myself and call him. Perhaps I should change X reps?

we live in canada and deal with a local t/a who i have dealt with for years. we have sailed numerous times on X and have also sailed with princess and Az.

she is knowledgeable about the products (cruiselines)

has been able to recommend hotels for us in many cities

she has travelled extensively and can provide information about airports

always responds quickly to email or phone messages

makes sure we understand what we have purchased (cancellation penalties for air etc)

is pleasant to deal with

we always receive a discount from published prices and didnt know anyone actually paid those prices but have never received an obc from her, she usually sends us a couple of bottles of nice wine

The Summit med cruises have dropped dramatically this summer (I know I got a great deal for July and I have checked August prices as well). Do you have an itemized invoice so you know exactly what you are paying for each item? Is the airfare through the cruise line or booked separately through the TA? You've got to be able to find out what fare you're paying for you cruise so you can compare it to what is being offered currently on the Celebrity website

The only case where it might not have gone down is if you're in a fancy suite that is sold out.

PS you might want to consider not using a screen name here that is specific to a trip, or that has a typo in it.

The price we paid is about $100 less than what is showing on the celebrity website at this time....it has actually gone up (in Canadian funds) since we booked in February. I check it on a daily basis, but it hasn't changed since it went up. We are not in a fancy suite...we actually booked 3 inside cabins with the hopes of booking so far in advance (based on feedback i have read on these boards) that we could upgrade once we had some price drops....I have spoken to another agent that I took my business to for the airfare (figuring I was not getting the proper service from the TA I booked the cruise with) and was told pretty much the same thing from her...that OBC are usually added at the time of booking from the TA and then passed along....with all the perks and such everyone else seems to be getting, I am confused...I can;t seem to get anything out of a Canadian TA....What gives???

PS What is the problem with my screen name? The typo was intentional as anniversary/grad was taken....?

The price we paid is about $100 less than what is showing on the celebrity website at this time....it has actually gone up (in Canadian funds) since we booked in February. I check it on a daily basis, but it hasn't changed since it went up. We are not in a fancy suite...we actually booked 3 inside cabins with the hopes of booking so far in advance (based on feedback i have read on these boards) that we could upgrade once we had some price drops....I have spoken to another agent that I took my business to for the airfare (figuring I was not getting the proper service from the TA I booked the cruise with) and was told pretty much the same thing from her...that OBC are usually added at the time of booking from the TA and then passed along....with all the perks and such everyone else seems to be getting, I am confused...I can;t seem to get anything out of a Canadian TA....What gives???

PS What is the problem with my screen name? The typo was intentional as anniversary/grad was taken....?

Nothing's "wrong" with your screen name. The reply simply indicated that it apparently applied to a particular cruise, and that you might want to consider making it more general. Same thing with the "typo" but since you did choose this I assume you're happy with it. I think the response was more to let you know (in case you didn't know already) that you could change your screen name.

Also, don't assume that everybody is getting perks and OBC and free this and free that. It's simply not true. If you want to book with one TA just because they're offering a $50 OBC, that's up to you, but I choose a TA based upon service. I get a good price, but I guess I could find someone else who could save me a couple of bucks here and there if I only looked at upfront costs. But I'm more concerned with having a TA who is responsive to my needs, who advises me when I need advice, and who doesn't charge for changes (including changes that happen to lower her commission!).

Our TA gives us a choice of an OBC of about 10% of the cruise cost or she will pay our gratuities for us. But she does not do either of these until we have made our final payment. Because we have worked with her for so long and know her so well she has told me that, as most of you know Celebrity and RCL, does not allow TA's to discount on their cruises, the money comes out of her pocket. She has been stuck giving clients hundreds of dollars in OBC's before their final payment and then they pull the cruise from her and she gets nothing.

She has been really great to us, most of the time we already know what cruise we want to go on, and sometimes we have already selected a cabin, but sometimes she will help us find a cabin, especially when we need more than one and want them together. She has also helped up put a good sized group together for a family cruise. She watches the prices for us and most of the time is the first to find price reductions. She is available 24/7 as she gives out her cell phone number to her clients. I have know her to help one honeymoon couple on a Carnival Cruise that she only made about $20 on. They had almost no money and no family help so she worked for weeks to find them something that they could afford. My DH and I never begrudge that she wants to make a little money - who doesn't? Why should she work for free?

Travel agents typically make 12-15% commission off a cruise - minus "noncomissionable" items and taxes. So, on a 1300.00 cruise the commission was probably on 1000.00 or so - perhaps 120-150 per person. A total comm of 240.00 and you want 200.00 OBC back from them? Would you run your business that way?

As a long time experienced agent I want clients that want to work with me. I will offer OBC etc. when I can, for repeats etc. but will not match everyone elses offers, especially when they are digging that deep into the commission. Those agencies that do that are starting to fold one by one.

Just think about the value of your own agent - and also remember they are running a business. Would you give back 75% of your salary/income? Try to be fair with how much you expect and find a great agent that you feel is worth the little extra you might have to pay (or not get back as a freebie) to have the service and experience.

Just my 2 cents....

Great post! Not to mention there are actually expenses in being a TA, plus if a TA usues a host, they have to pay 10-20% of thier commission to them as well.

BTW, it's almost always the CL (randomly) that gives these great upgrades. Not the TA.

I have spoken to another agent that I took my business to for the airfare (figuring I was not getting the proper service from the TA I booked the cruise with) and was told pretty much the same thing from her...that OBC are usually added at the time of booking from the TA and then passed along....with all the perks and such everyone else seems to be getting, I am confused...I can;t seem to get anything out of a Canadian TA....What gives???

I would think the agent is taking a big chance in promising an OBC at time of booking. Wonder if your cruise went way down in price and the OBC was more than the commssion? I know my upcoming med cruise started out at $6,400.00 total for two and is now at $3,802.00 total for two with taxes and fees. That is a huge difference in commssion.

I would think the agent is taking a big chance in promising an OBC at time of booking. Wonder if your cruise went way down in price and the OBC was more than the commssion? I know my upcoming med cruise started out at $6,400.00 total for two and is now at $3,802.00 total for two with taxes and fees. That is a huge difference in commssion.

I completely agree that the TA should get paid...nobody works for free. I also agree that perhaps they should not offer anything upfront in the way of obc in case their commissions are drastically reduced...but my particular TA acted like she had never heard of such a thing...she even went so far as to call celebrity while we were there and question them about it.Had she said we'll do a wait and see scenario, I would have understood and hoped for the best.... She is not new to the industry of travel (we have dealt with her for over 5 years) and booked 3 previous cruises with her (without any perks)..it wasn't until I started reading the several posts on these boards, did I start to ask questions. I certainly do not expect that she fork over her paycheck...but loyalty should account for something. Had she even made an effort with a token offer, she would have gotten my booking for the flights...but, to be honest when she gave me the deer in the headlights look when the question of OBC was brought up, I have lost faith that she is "working" for me...we did shop a little prior to booking with her to be sure we were getting a fair price...she quoted us (to the penny) the same price we were quoted by just walking into an agency at our local mall...so we booked with her out of loyalty...I'd just like the favour to be returned. She made a big deal of the fact that we were booking this trip for our 25th wedding anniversary....but that was about all she did....

I got to respectfully disagree with some posts on this topic. If money is no object, then I guess who cares what you get back from a TA. However, for those people that are looking to get the best deal, I think it is smart to shop around. I wouldn't buy a car from a dealership if I can get the same vehicle and free oil changes the next suburb over at a lower cost. Lets face it, if a TA, repair service, car dealer, whatever treats me right the first time, I'll go back. If not, I'll shop elsewhere. I see nothing wrong with that. I think the two go hand in hand.....if a TA cares about new AND existing customers, they give as many perks as they can, especially in this economy since there is no better form of advertising and generating new business as word of mouth advertising. I'd rather take a hit up front and generate more business than losing new business to better deals.

I got to respectfully disagree with some posts on this topic. I'd rather take a hit up front and generate more business than losing new business to better deals.

What if your boss told you that because you are lucky to have a job, you should give back 10% of your earnings to the company?

That is just what you are expecting a TA to do.

Many travelers are price shoppers who will not bring back repeat business - they will continue to shop the lowest price. Why should a TA "reward " those who will not come back to do business with them by giving up commission?

We always give our REPEAT clients perks, not someone who is price shopping. Our clients always come back from a trip saying they received service from us that no other agent has ever delivered and they come to us the next time they travel. Those are clients that appreciate what a TA does and deserve a perk.

The fact of the matter is that you can ALWAYS find someone willing to give you a cheaper price. You can also easily find that you get what you pay for. If you equate on On-board credit with great service then you may only be interested in talking to an order taker and not a true consultant.

It all boils down to this. If you know what you want, use an order taker. If you want a professional travel consultant, use one and be prepared to pay or it because that model is coming to your neighborhood sooner rather than later if the professional travel agents are going to survive.

We don't charge anything to our clients - the cruise line pays us. What many don't realize is that when they book directly with the cruise line, they are still paying the same price they'd pay booking through a TA, but the cruise line is keeping the extra whatever percent themselves they would pay a TA. So the client is actually is paying the cruiseline as their travel agent - Celebrity isn't reducing the clients price 10 - 15% to book directly with Celebrity- they are charging the passenger who books their own cruise the same price they would pay using a TA. Yet passengers don't ask Celebrity for an OBC, yet they think nothing of asking a TA to do it.

Yet passengers don't ask Celebrity for an OBC, yet they think nothing of asking a TA to do it.

Because we know that Celebrity won't give us anything, so it is a waste of time to ask. But we know that a number of TA's will. Just because you won't doesn't mean you should come here trying to make it seem criminal to accept an OBC from a TA (or even worse, shudder, to actually ASK for one). I wouldn't go to Rite Aid or Walmart and try to bargain with them on prices but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it where it was appropriate, either at a flea market or on vacation.

Speaking of appropriate, I don't think it is appropriate for a TA to be in this thread putting down people who get OBC's. It is an accepted industry practice. If you don't like it, then fine, you don't have ot offer it. The TA's who do offer it must be making money or they wouldn't be able to afford to do so.

Not yet mentioned in this thread is the fact that when a good TA works hard to make sure you get any price reductions, he/she is also cutting their commission, which is based on the price of the cruise. You pay less - they receive less. How many other professionals do you know who will work harder for you knowing they will be paid less? However, most good TA's will still do their best for you.

To me buying a cruise is like buying a car. I know exactly what I want, I will buy that car where I'm getting the best price. I won't always go with the absolute lowest price because service and feeling comfortable with someone counts. You won't have to do much work for me, I know the product. But if agent A is giving nothing, I won't be using them. We ran into this a couple of years ago. Good agent, she had a good reputation here but wouldn't discount at all on a Princess cruise. Sorry, but we took our three booking elsewhere and saved over $500 per couple. If she'd have budged a bit, we might have stayed with her.

Not yet mentioned in this thread is the fact that when a good TA works hard to make sure you get any price reductions, he/she is also cutting their commission, which is based on the price of the cruise. You pay less - they receive less. How many other professionals do you know who will work harder for you knowing they will be paid less? However, most good TA's will still do their best for you.

Works hard??? Do you call picking up the phone or sitting at an internet terminal to ask celebrity to change the price hard work?

Or are you referring to an agent searching your cruise each day to see if there is a lower price including senior or local discounts as "works hard".

(I have never had, nor have any of my friends ever had a call from a TA saying that their fare was reduced. Perhaps none of us have used a good travel agent....)

Has anyone ever received a list of things to pack/take from their TA (not the cruise line)? Has anyone ever received a list of non cruise company tours recommended by the TA based on the TA's experience (not a business relationship)? Has anyone ever received a list of restaurants or shops personally prepared by a TA for each of their cruise stops. Has anyone ever received a call from their TA telling them that a great cabin has opened up in their category and that you should switch (at no cost)?

Let's try to be realistic about the hard work of being a TA.....

We've been using the same TA since 1993 and have gotten assorted amts OBC's, the ubiquitous bottle of wine, robes, fruit baskets and specialty dinners. We never ask for anything but I do my homework on the price and often get her to match the lowest price we have found. She will also call us when the price drops and adjust accordingly. We have never met face to face, everything is done on the phone as she works out of her home.

That being said, the level of service we have received is second to none. Last February, 2008, DH & I took our adult children and their spouses on their first cruise. We, the experienced cruisers, forgot our passports at home in Chicago. Luckily we flew down a day early. Donna, our TA, got a friend of hers who is a locksmith to go to our home w/Donna's ex-boyfriend, get the passports off DH's dresser and FedEx them to us in Florida. She just charged the locksmith fee of $100 and the FedEx fee $44 to our credit card. It certainly would have cost us a lot more for DH to fly home and back again.

After that, we would never care if we rec'd a single thing from her again. You wouldn't get that level of service from an online agency or if you had booked through the cruiseline.

What if your boss told you that because you are lucky to have a job, you should give back 10% of your earnings to the company?

That is just what you are expecting a TA to do.

Many travelers are price shoppers who will not bring back repeat business - they will continue to shop the lowest price. Why should a TA "reward " those who will not come back to do business with them by giving up commission?

We always give our REPEAT clients perks, not someone who is price shopping. Our clients always come back from a trip saying they received service from us that no other agent has ever delivered and they come to us the next time they travel. Those are clients that appreciate what a TA does and deserve a perk.

No, I expect to get the best deal. Period. And if you look down upon me for choosing a TA that gives me a good OBC along with service that is acceptable. Fine. Look down upon me all day long.

A TA that is looking to build their business should be looking to give good deals up front knowing that if I treat that person right, they'll come back. So the argument of "Why should a TA award those who will not come back" is frivilous. If you only give REPEAT clients the good deals, then I have a hard time to imagine that your business is growing as fast as it could be.

But what do I know. I'm only a business owner with an MBA in Management and Finance.

**Edit** One other thing. I shopped for a TA on here. I emailed and / or called 6 of them actually. Two were willing to give me an OBC. The others were not. Of the two, I chose the one who I felt I had better rapport with since the OBC was the same. And you know what....she's been terrific. She treated me well up front. Think I'll go back? I plan to, but in the meantime, since she treated me right, I sent 46 people from my traveling party to her. I haven't asked her, but I'm guessing she has liked the "extra" business.

On second thought, I guess you are right. It only makes sense to give repeat customers good deals.

Works hard??? Do you call picking up the phone or sitting at an internet terminal to ask celebrity to change the price hard work?

Or are you referring to an agent searching your cruise each day to see if there is a lower price including senior or local discounts as "works hard".

(I have never had, nor have any of my friends ever had a call from a TA saying that their fare was reduced. Perhaps none of us have used a good travel agent....)

Has anyone ever received a list of things to pack/take from their TA (not the cruise line)? Has anyone ever received a list of non cruise company tours recommended by the TA based on the TA's experience (not a business relationship)? Has anyone ever received a list of restaurants or shops personally prepared by a TA for each of their cruise stops. Has anyone ever received a call from their TA telling them that a great cabin has opened up in their category and that you should switch (at no cost)?

Let's try to be realistic about the hard work of being a TA.....

Many agents don't just take your booking - they actually work for you.

You have no idea how hard TA's DO work for their commissions. We don't just sit and pick up a phone - we very often have to research for clients, make multiple calls back and forth, call them back when their c.c.'s are declined, watch for price changes, hand hold more often than not, make up packages with destination information and things to do without going through the cruiseline to save money on shore excursions, send first timers cruisers information on exactly what to expect- everything you ask about TA's doing in your 4th paragraph we DO for EVERY client. We don't just send their confirmation - we give them as much information as possible about their destination and what to expect. Every client we book comes back to us after their vacation and tell us they have never had a travel agent who has given them as much information as we have.

I just called an entire group of 40 people today to tell them I obtained a price reduction for their final payments. Yes, I DO watch pricing every week for my clients.

I have also gotten involved in insurance claims for my clients when their insurance claims were declined and I have gotten back credits back for clients from travel companies when a client who has refused to purchase travel insurance had to cancel at the last moment. Trust me, many agents will bend over backwards for clients that book with them. Perhaps if all agents cared as much as we do, TA's wouldn't have such a lousy reputation.

We also are constantly on conference calls and classes to make sure we are aware of the latests changes with suppliers - all suppliers, not just one or two.

When we book land vacations, we check with at least 10 suppliers to find the one with the best value for clients.

Perhaps you haven't had a good TA. I haven't had a cruise I've booked for clients in the last 6 months that I haven't gotten a price reduction for a client on at least once during their cruise. Not ONE. Maybe you do need to find a better TA.

Do I begrudge anyone looking for the best deal? Absolutely not. If I book a first time client and they are spending a lot of money and or if I take a particular liking to someone who is geat over the phone or in person we will give them a perk. But if they are difficult and demanding first timers that are price shoppers, I know they won't come back so no, I don't. That is the God's honest truth, I don't apolgize for saying it. A lot of TA's can tell a difficult customer right off the bat and will do what we can to encourage them to book elsewhere. I've had more than one client I had told that booking elsewhere might be a better fit for them. There are travelers who will never be happy no matter what you do - no one wants to deal with people that are difficult.

How many other professionals do you know who will work harder for you knowing they will be paid less?

Uh, real estate agents???? Every time we negotiate a lower price for a buyer, we are in effect lowering our paycheck as well. You guys are NOT alone out there!

Cathy

Archived