Clocks in the cabin?

kwcrnp

Stupid question but it seems Princes thinks of the little things, so do they have cabin alarm clock in the cabins? Hotels always have them now instead of calling for wake-up calls. I like to see the time it is during the night and to hit the snooze button.:D

Just one less thing to pack if they have them!

Stupid question but it seems Princes thinks of the little things, so do they have cabin alarm clock in the cabins? Hotels always have them now instead of calling for wake-up calls. I like to see the time it is during the night and to hit the snooze button.:D

Just one less thing to pack if they have them!

No, the only clock on some ships is a read out on the telephone. If you need an alarm clock (we always do), pack a battery operated travel alarm.

You can also check the time with a phone call - they have a line dedicated to time. And on the TV there is a channel devoted to know your ship which also gives ships time, weather (sort of) and position.

I personally hate the alarm clocks in hotel rooms. If the last guest leaves it set for a ridiculous hour of the morning and you forget to disable, well, I have had some very rude 4 am alarm clocks.....not necessary with wake up calls available.

Sorry no clock in the cabin on Princess. Furthermore, there is not even a US style outlet near the bed to plug in an alarm clock. So you need a battery or wind up one.

From reading other posts, I was under the impression that there IS an outlet on the desk next to the bed [we will be on the Coral next month, BA balcony on the Caribe deck]. We need it for my wife's CPAP, not for an alarm clock though.

Thanks

Hi all,

Tip for you if using wake up call, system can not handle every cabin booking a wake up call,

often on last night if we need to be up at a silly time the next day to get off the ship, we go to book a wake up call and get the message system is full,

we now book it early in the day to avoid this.

yours Shogun

But for alarm clock, definitely battery operated. The ship's power frequency (50 cycles / 60 cycles) is not entirely stable and your electric clock will not keep correct time.

No, the only clock on some ships is a read out on the telephone. If you need an alarm clock (we always do), pack a battery operated travel alarm.

Yes -- you are correct.

From reading other posts, I was under the impression that there IS an outlet on the desk next to the bed [we will be on the Coral next month, BA balcony on the Caribe deck]. We need it for my wife's CPAP, not for an alarm clock though.

Thanks

My cellphone has an alarm clock. This is probably a silly question, but if I use it on the ship, will I be charged for a cell call?

If you are just using it as an alarm clock, no. But one caution, if you receive a call but don't answer it, you can still be charged for receiving the voice mail (even if you don't listen to it) because that is data that is going through the ship's cell tower.

Also, I would caution against using a cell phone as an alarm clock, especially if your ship is visiting different time zones. Some people have reported being early/late after their cell phone automatically updated to the new time zones it entered, even though the ship stayed on a different time.

The best thing to do is to bring a battery powered travel alarm clock.

Tip for you if using wake up call, system can not handle every cabin booking a wake up call... we now book it early in the day to avoid this.

You could book your wake up call for 5 minutes earlier or later. Calls on the hour or 1/2 hour are probably most popular, so go either before or after. :)

Hi all,

Tip for you if using wake up call, system can not handle every cabin booking a wake up call,

often on last night if we need to be up at a silly time the next day to get off the ship, we go to book a wake up call and get the message system is full,

we now book it early in the day to avoid this.

yours Shogun

Wow! Thank you for this advice! This is the type of thing I look for on here!

1) I would have never thought that a cruise ship would not have a clock. I figured it was just like a hotel room at sea

2) You would think that the system would be set up so that it could handle all state room requests for wake up calls.

I wasn't even going to consider packing a clock. Now I may need to reconsider.

If you are just using it as an alarm clock, no. But one caution, if you receive a call but don't answer it, you can still be charged for receiving the voice mail (even if you don't listen to it) because that is data that is going through the ship's cell tower.

Also, I would caution against using a cell phone as an alarm clock, especially if your ship is visiting different time zones. Some people have reported being early/late after their cell phone automatically updated to the new time zones it entered, even though the ship stayed on a different time.

The best thing to do is to bring a battery powered travel alarm clock.

If you set it to flight mode can you still use it as an alarm clock and just not receive data or phone calls?

Guest arowe6
My cellphone has an alarm clock. This is probably a silly question, but if I use it on the ship, will I be charged for a cell call?

I can turn the antenna off on my phone so there is no risk in getting a call. I then use that as my Alarm Clock. When we get to a port that we want to make a call at then we just turn the antenna back on. Also when the antenna is off, your battery life will last MUCH longer. Had phone one (with antenna off) for an entire 10 day cruise and didn't charge it once.

-Andrew:)

Sorry no clock in the cabin on Princess. Furthermore, there is not even a US style outlet near the bed to plug in an alarm clock. So you need a battery or wind up one.

Yes, I found this very odd. It made it difficult to find a place to plug in the batter charger for a camera. At least there was no outlet near the bed in the mini-suite

Thanks for all the replies! I'll get a small battery operated clock and bring that. I will have our global pone with us and will likely use it but I like to just open my eyes, see the time and roll over!;) By the time I fumble with my phone or the room phone to see the time, I'll be too awake to fall back to sleep.:confused:

Weird about the plug situation by the bed??

1) I would have never thought that a cruise ship would not have a clock. I figured it was just like a hotel room at sea
That "hotel room at sea" usually goes through multiple time zones per cruise so keeping a clock set to ship's time would be a huge task. Your local Marriott doesn't do that other than twice a year with Daylight Savings Time. An atomic clock wouldn't work because sometimes, such as when we were in Puerto Vallarta last week, the ship's time was not the same as local time. This is the one I use from LL Bean, and I LOVE it; it even includes the temperature: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=48008&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

As far as the outlets on the desk, it can be a tight fit for two plug at one time. I always take a light duty 3-4 foot extension cord with me that has two outlets on one side and one on the other side. This will only work with two pole plugs (no ground) which are the norm for battery chargers. The light duty cord resembles a lamp cord. With the latest battery chargers dedicated for phones and Ipods, the transformer part is huge or at an odd angle and can cover up both of the wall outlets with just one device plugged in.

Do not ever attempt to use this as an extension cord for a hair dryer or curling iron, too much amperage.

Archived