Copenhagen: Why Walking Back Is Super Great!!!!

TLCOhio

I am really late to this excellent thread about Copenhagen. We will be stopping here on our cruise next September. We are only in port for 8 hours and this is our first visit. It will be really difficult to see and do everything that we would like to. Thank you for posting the beautiful photos! Makes me even more excited for our visit!

Appreciate these kind comments and this follow-up. Good luck with your visit to Europe next September. Lots of great options to consider in Copenhagen' date=' but only a limited amount of net time available. [b']Research and plan[/b] accordingly in order to maximize your experience there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Did June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,170 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 1 month later...

On 9/12/2018 at 12:29 PM, Cruisin' Along said:

I am really late to this excellent thread about Copenhagen. We will be stopping here on our cruise next September. We are only in port for 8 hours and this is our first visit. It will be really difficult to see and do everything that we would like to.

Thank you for posting the beautiful photos! Makes me even more excited for our visit!

We've been to Copenhagen 4 times as the final port of a cruise and once we departed from there on a cruise, probably spending about 8 days or so, in toto.  Since you will be for just 8 hours, I would recommend doing as much research as you can and narrow down what sites are must-sees.  Also, we've used the HOHO bus as it goes by all the "must-sees".  While a canal cruise is an option, you won't see as much as you would on the HOHO, IMHO.  [I can't remember if we ever did a canal cruise.]  When we were there post-cruise for a few days last year, I did a lot of walking.  We were staying near the train station and I walked as far north as Amalienborg Palace (current home of the Queen) and then west to Rosenberg Slot (former palace, now open to the public), wimping out at that point and riding the HOHO back.  Have a wonderful time when you're there!

Edited by BarbinMich

Appreciate the wonderful follow-ups from Barb, our neighbor to the north in Michigan, and from mskaufman.  Good and very helpful!!  Agree strongly for doing the advanced research.  Copenhagen has so many excellent options that you don't want to just "guess" on the day of your visit as to what you might do or see.  YES, agree on canal rides, including in Copenhagen and St. Petersburg, being very good to allow some time off of your feet and gaining a little relaxing time.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 25,668 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

During our 2.5 day stay in August of 2017 before our TA, we stayed at the Hotel Bethel right on the Canal and it was a great place with the restaurants across the way, easy walk to catch the canal rides and agree, a must see and do. We also one night at the fish market across the way.We took the bridge over. Loved all the pictures, brought back memories of our trip. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, Desert Cruizers said:

During our 2.5 day stay in August of 2017 before our TA, we stayed at the Hotel Bethel right on the Canal and it was a great place with the restaurants across the way, easy walk to catch the canal rides and agree, a must see and do. We also one night at the fish market across the way.We took the bridge over. Loved all the pictures, brought back memories of our trip. 

Appreciate the above nice follow-up and tips from this helpful CC Board friend from sunny Palm Springs in California.  Now in Florida Keys to escape the Midwest's current brutal cold.  

Late last year, we completed our Jerusalem/Holy Lands, Egypt/Valley of the Kings,Petra/Jordan, Oman, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, etc., exploring.  To see the triplive/blog for this history and religious “adventure”, check out these postings linked below.  We started in Athens, Greece on Nov. 14, then traveled various locations connected with three of the world's major religions.  Many fun and interesting visuals on this live/blog!!  Below are just a few, quick visual samples.    Check it out and let me know any questions or comments.  Just over 6000 views so far on this live/blog. 

Connect to our latest exploring at: 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 233,566 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Greece, we started with a day at Delphi, where the Oracle was consulted about important decisions from throughout the ancient classical world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1601439629_CMY_66429.jpg.3692e4fed3607c89b87938846a0a5f1f.jpg

From Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection. here is one interior view.  Second is a procession along the historic Via Dolorosa.  Third is my connecting at the Western/Wailing Wall in the most holy site for the Jewish faith.:

265423980_CMY_75627.jpg.8c34f3294f11d2588bcd97f6ecca7237.jpg

1021527693_CMY_76646.jpg.7f175a5b973820312172032a7354d39a.jpg

945894118_CMY_77598.jpg.87d58f7cc5d69d9349b566a83d8ef362.jpg

In Luxor’s Valley of the Kings, we explored the tombs of Egypt rulers from 3300 years ago plus Karnak's night glories, statutes and columns.:

1867033808_DSC_84035.jpg.5c746ed3b9c5bf699adf69ad98b81007.jpg

1298300677_DSC_85294.jpg.d8a2aae0cda10c6e346c6963045707bb.jpg

In front of Petra’s Treasury in Jordan, we found this cute camel as a "co-star".  Feeling the spirit of Indian Jones here!:

1129417683_DSC_90663.thumb.jpg.e58d832b3b53aa495f6ec273bbe1e827.jpg

We finished with the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the sandy beaches of Dubai having its unique modern architecture in the background.:

176391805_CMA_03852.jpg.9069e7f6cff92de44835357b479bd31d.jpg

1346433287_CMA_05421.jpg.75fbb3900a452da8549988f935f96352.jpg

• 2 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Guardian earlier this month, they had this headline: “Carlsberg, probably the best new district in Copenhagen”  with this sub-head: "A new hotel, once part of the famous brewery, is the latest addition to a neighbourhood with an industrial-chic feel and a sustainable ethos." 

Here are some of the story highlights: “The smell of fermented hops is long gone but the old Carlsberg brewery’s former storage building is buzzing in a way not seen in over a decade. That’s because the work cries of labourers have been replaced by the chatter of visitors checking in to the new 155-room Hotel Ottilia that now lies behind the building’s red-brick shell.  With a wink to the past and a nod to the future, Hotel Ottilia (doubles from £120 B&B), which opened in January, pairs unpolished architectural details, such as the remaining grain silos and malt chambers, against modern features that include a three-storey x-ray light sculpture, which stretches upwards from the lobby like a strand of DNA.”

More interesting areas and options to sample in charming Copenhagen.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/apr/02/carlsberg-probably-the-best-new-district-in-copenhagen

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,939 views.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Just a note for anyone hoping to ride it, the Cityringen metro line opening has been delayed to September, according to @Danish viking

Great update!!  On another board, this timing delay was posted.  Apparently the famed Sunday Times missed that important timing detail in Copenhagen.  

• 3 months later...

Happy to find this wonderful thread on Copenhagen....thanks to y’all one task for today is done.   I know what we are doing while in port for the day next year!   Planning to do a walking tour.....now to see if we want to start with a guided tour then wander on our own   Or just do the entire day on our own,   

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

Hi Terry,  Thanks as always for your terrific posts and photos, and to everyone else contributing to the terrific topic on Copenhagen, it's been so helpful to so many CC members.

Terry, I can't tell for sure if the last, spectacular photo is yours or part of an article that you've cited in your post and I want to be sure we have any attribution credit cited properly as the photo isn't linked to a news or magazine page, or your blog. Would you be able to update your post with the source of that photo so we have it sourced correctly? Thanks in advance for helping us out with this.

Being prepared and being spontaneous are some of my favorite travel strategies after all these years. In addition to walking, it makes for the most welcome surprises, local experiences, and helps find the hidden gems we don't read about in the guide books and can't see on big buses.  Less mobile? Just work on your small talk and chat up people around you. You'd be surprised what kind of fun things happen. 🙂

Appreciate this nice and helpful follow-up from Host Bonjour.  Good ideas, tips and sharing.  

YES, after "Full story at:", I had the full web link to this full profile and right above that one picture, I noted "with this article a visual featured that is titled 'Copenhagen: postcard pretty'." in order to credit the London/UK Telegraph as to the source for this colorful and interesting picture used to illustrate their article about Copenhagen. 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 29,603 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

On 9/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, TLCOhio said:

Full stories at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/denmark/copenhagen/articles/forget-hygge-michelin-stars-scandi-noir-how-to-find-true-spirit-copenhagen-ballet/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/denmark/copenhagen/articles/copenhagen-travel-guide/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,890 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here was with this article a visual featured that is titled "Copenhagen: postcard pretty".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

HI Terry, 

Thanks so much for your reply!! So this is the sequence I see in your original post, with Full Story At link coming ahead your sign off, then the blog post link, then a heads up to click open to the beautiful gallery of photographs. But the image on display in the post is a Getty Image and it needs to be credited as a Getty Image or removed and replaced by one of your incredible photographs from a trip to Copenhagen as they are Getty-worthy. 😉  

Readers of the Telegraph article will see the image once they click on the link as it leads the story, but I can understand your enthusiasm to share it separately, as it IS spectacular. If you choose to keep it that way, please just add text stating that it is a Getty Image as it represents a commercial transaction between Getty and the Telegraph and we did not pay for the photograph. I know you mean well, but if the photo ends up everywhere on Instagram and Getty tracked it down, Fair Use wouldn't apply here. 

Thanks so much in advance for helping, and for always contributing lovely photographs and great resources for everyone, they're greatly appreciated as you know. 🙂

On 9/14/2019 at 1:12 PM, Host Bonjour said:

HI Terry, Thanks so much for your reply!! So this is the sequence I see in your original post, with Full Story At link coming ahead your sign off, then the blog post link, then a heads up to click open to the beautiful gallery of photographs. But the image on display in the post is a Getty Image and it needs to be credited as a Getty Image or removed and replaced by one of your incredible photographs from a trip to Copenhagen as they are Getty-worthy. 😉  Readers of the Telegraph article will see the image once they click on the link as it leads the story, but I can understand your enthusiasm to share it separately, as it IS spectacular. If you choose to keep it that way, please just add text stating that it is a Getty Image as it represents a commercial transaction between Getty and the Telegraph and we did not pay for the photograph. I know you mean well, but if the photo ends up everywhere on Instagram and Getty tracked it down, Fair Use wouldn't apply here. Thanks so much in advance for helping, and for always contributing lovely photographs and great resources for everyone, they're greatly appreciated as you know. 🙂

Appreciate this additional information and follow-up.  When a newspaper such as the UK Telegraph has a picture in their article, I can also credit Getty, etc., if that is their originally posted source.  BUT, I cannot go back and edit those earlier postings as I am "locked out" from doing such additional changes/additions at this stage of the Cruise Critic process.  Just to clarify, is crediting Getty as the newspaper's source sufficient?  Or, does more need to be done?  Obviously, I have no control or power to limit what any other people might do to make postings on Instagram, etc.   Any clarifications?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,740 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Any and all image credits within the original media, are often listed at the start of the article or, underneath each image as it appears in the body of any piece, and that would be what is necessary. In the absence of any individual name or agency name (Getty Images, AP, etc) please credit the media source, such as The New York Times, CNN, Travel + Leisure, either immediately preceding or following the image posted.

I think the TOS guideline speaks to it best:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/#guides_copyright

"The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed."

It's YOU Terry, and all our members, posting stories and your own photos that have made and continue to make Cruise Critic the most sought after online cruise community! It's the first hand information that does not come from the media, it's the real people, the conversations and sharing that happens on these message boards.

As I've said many times to many members, we appreciate you. 

Thanks as always, so much. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:24 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Any and all image credits within the original media, are often listed at the start of the article or, underneath each image as it appears in the body of any piece, and that would be what is necessary. In the absence of any individual name or agency name (Getty Images, AP, etc) please credit the media source, such as The New York Times, CNN, Travel + Leisure, either immediately preceding or following the image posted.

I think the TOS guideline speaks to it best:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/#guides_copyright

"The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed."

It's YOU Terry, and all our members, posting stories and your own photos that have made and continue to make Cruise Critic the most sought after online cruise community! It's the first hand information that does not come from the media, it's the real people, the conversations and sharing that happens on these message boards.  As I've said many times to many members, we appreciate you.  Thanks as always, so much. 

Appreciate this additional background and follow-up.  This clarifies, somewhat, certain questions.  As always with legal issues, there are still could be some questions and variations, but this helps.  As an example this morning, there was a major story about Saudi Arabia being opened up to future tourism and cruise ship visits.  I did a brief story, "fair use" quote and a picture from a historic site in that country.  Immediately in front of that picture, I credited the NYT photographer.  I will totally stay away from any Getty, etc., pictures.  Of course, I have not been to Saudi Arabia and do not have any of my visual from that somewhat, previously "closed off" country.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,544 views.

Hi Terry,

Oh yes, there can always be interpretations, or, variations when it comes to legal matters concerning fair use which basically covers non-commercial use of other's work. Cruise Critic is a commercial enterprise and that's forms the foundation of CC's TOS rules, but as our guidelines also mention, we'd rather see member photographs rather than press or commercial images that everyone can find on their own. Sharing and community is how we got started way back in the nineties! And, of course Cruise Critic takes great care to offer members our own specially curated and themed content, which has made this a dominant force in the cruise travel industry. 

Thanks in advance for adding that credit directly next to the New York Times photograph. I don't believe it's a problem using a Getty Image or any other agency as long as that organization (and any named photographer) is credited appropriately. In some ways, they similar to press organization, they purchase the work of photographers and or pay photographers/editors on staff. These days, most news organizations and magazines have few on staff full time. Most freelance, working hard to take a few photographs to complete their assignment, shooting work and then working to pitch to an editor as a possible story for that publication. Lots of work is done on spec.

They just love what they do, and I think, just like us, love going places and having new and different experiences. And also like us, getting paid for their hard work. 

And yes, I fully agree with you about the progress in Saudi Arabia. Here's hoping the progress continues especially for women and all people in general. Change takes time but hope springs eternal. Freedom and equality is something for everyone, everywhere to strive for, always. Perhaps at some point, you will have photos of a trip there? 

Thanks very much for following up, Terry. Hope you are enjoying the weekend. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, catz0026 said:

such great information and beautiful pictures! Cant wait to go!

Appreciate these kind comments and follow-up.  Hope you have made it to Copenhagen.  Or, have an upcoming trip planned??

From the Washington Post yesterday morning, they had this headline: Are Danish hot dogs the best? I went to Copenhagen to find out.

Here are some of their story highlights: “There’s a hot dog stand next to the currency exchange window, and plenty of others are also eating, attracted by the smoky, savory tang hanging in the air.  Danes love hot dogs. I learned that from my Danish neighbor, Michael, when he dragged his grill into the road for our street party in London one summer before the pandemic. I ate four — maybe five — because they were delicious, even though he complained they weren’t quite right. He hadn’t been able to source rode polser, the authentic red Danish dogs, he said.  In those pre-covid days, that seemed a good enough reason to head for Copenhagen to find the genuine article. Not only that, but in 2020, the city’s hot dog wagons — polsevogn — also celebrated the 100th anniversary of an ordinance that established the right to sell hot dogs in the streets; the first wagons appeared in 1921. The perfect time, I convinced myself, to go and eat too many hot dogs in Denmark.”

Here is more from this fun and interesting story: "Copenhagen is full of flavor. A short walk north took me to Torvehallerne, a food market bursting with pan-global variety. There were tapas, sushi, charcuterie, fish and chips, pizza, superb coffee and loads of raw produce, with seafood so fresh I was convinced one turbot was winking at me. There were also delicate Danish open sandwiches, but the only sausages I saw were being sold by Lund, a butcher, for cooking at home."

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/04/21/danish-hot-dogs-copenhagen/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 237,184 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section from the middle of last month, they had this headline: Summer in Copenhagen: Biking, Dining and Celebrating" with the sub-headline: "Add the Tour de France — starting in Denmark’s capital this year — to the roster of summer activities, which also includes music festivals, design exhibitions and indulging in buttery pastries.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “Over the course of the coronavirus pandemic, Copenhagen somehow seems only to have become more thoroughly itself. With restrictions long gone (they were lifted in January) and summer at hand, the city’s outdoor spaces, designed to extract every bit of joy from summer, have multiplied. There are more harborside spots to sip wine and swim, while devotion to environmental sustainability has generated an entirely new hangout for the green-minded. The Danish fetish for buttery pastries has transformed itself into a veritable eruption of new bakeries, while the broader dining scene — already world class — has become bigger and better. And in a city where bikes already constitute the primary method of transportation, Copenhagen is preparing for its cycling apotheosis: The Tour de France starts here on July 1.”

Many different interesting options and updates outlined in this NYT profile.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/travel/copenhagen-what-to-do.html

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 96,591 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

53 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Thank you for sharing (article can only vibe accessed if you have a subscription)

Tour de France Grand Depart was yesterday - an enjoyable day.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, hallasm said:

. . .

Tour de France Grand Depart was yesterday - an enjoyable day.

Yes, it certainly was!  Copenhagen is one my favorite ports.  We were there five times and the last time (2017), I walked around quite a bit revisiting some of my favorite sites and seeing one new one.

We've been watching the Tour de France for some years now and the scenery is always one of the "side benefits" for me!  Especially those places we've never been, like the mountain portions.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, TLCOhio said:

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/travel/copenhagen-what-to-do.html

@hallasmNYT used to allow access to 5 free articles per month to folks who didn't subscribe, I wonder if they removed that access, it would be disappointing (not to mention a discouragement to potential subscribers!) but I see you are actually IN Denmark, so I wonder if it's an international limit? But, I send links to friends oversees and they can read if it's under the limit, I believe. Interesting...

Anyway, the above New York Times piece from June 16, 2022 was written by: Lisa Abend

Images by: Dennis Stenild. 

Thanks Terry.