Ear infections on board

My adopted daughter is on a cruise now, she called me yesterday and said the ship was leaving out of ft. lauderdale, she called and asked me what she can do aobut her new ear infection she is getting or has on board, she says when she yawns it hurts is there anythign I can tell her when I speak to her tomorrow morning when they port in St. Marrten? A concerned mom

thanks this is her first cruise away with her new husband.

thanks

Red

My adult daughter is prone to ear infections, and sometimes she can head them off with warm compresses for 20 minutes several times a day and taking a decongestant to dry up any fluid that may be a breeding ground for bacteria. It doesn't always work, and she has to start at the first symptom. If it turns into a full blown infection, only anitbiotics work for her.

I would tell her to see the onboard physician and get it checked out, to get on antibiotics ASAP. If she has to fly home, it will be very painful for her upon landing.

I found out the hard way last year. I thought I had a simple cold and only took a decongestant. What was a simple ear infection that could have easily been treated turned into a massive ear infection for me. I lost a week at work plus had to endure a lot of pain. Landing was almost unbearable for me, I thought my ear drum was going to explode.

thanks but my daughter is on a ship how can she get relief she called me yesterday to tell me goodbye and said Momma my right ear hurts. what can I do? i said if it gets really bad to go see the dr on board. do not get your hair wet I told her. she got upset i will speak to her tomrrow when they arrive in st. marrten

she just got married on Friday night. I said it was too much action she got it from she laughed.;)

Hopefully she has insurance for travel. This is the reason we always buy travel insurance, in case of illness while on the trip. Self diagnosis can be tricky, she needs to see a doctor as soon as possible. The doctor onboard the ship can prescribe and fill a prescription for an antibiotic if needed.

I have no idea why you would advise her not to get her hair wet. Kids with tubes in their ears have to be careful not to get water into their ear canal. Typically water does not make you sicker, she would only have to be careful if it is a bacterial infection. It's kind of like people thinking they get sick because they get cold....illness is not caused by cold weather or water it is caused by bacteria or virus.

I suppose you could argue there may be some bacteria in water :rolleyes:

If she has "swimmer's ear", then there's a solution that can be put into the ear to prevent that in the future (I can't remember what's in it....alcohol or peroxide.... to help dry the water in your ear--someone will post it, I'm sure!!)

If she has an active infection, then she'll need an antibiotic.

Getting her hair wet will make no difference to her ear health!!!!

If she has "swimmer's ear", then there's a solution that can be put into the ear to prevent that in the future (I can't remember what's in it....alcohol or peroxide.... to help dry the water in your ear--someone will post it, I'm sure!!)

If she has an active infection, then she'll need an antibiotic.

Getting her hair wet will make no difference to her ear health!!!!

Which is the whole point of having it diagnosed instead of guessing.

She should see the ship's doctor to have it appropriately diagnosed and (s)he will provide Rx for any necessary medication. Your daughter will have to pay but her travel insurance may pay. Not knowing her private medical coverage, can't guess if her usual insurance would pay.

Hope she gets help and feels better fast.

Your daughter is married, she is an adult. She needs to learn to solve her own problems, not worry you with things you can do nothing about. She has all the tools at her finger tips. EM

Your daughter is married, she is an adult. She needs to learn to solve her own problems, not worry you with things you can do nothing about. She has all the tools at her finger tips. EM

Yup, that little lecture helped a lot.........................

If she does not have Travel insurance includig medical and even if she does she will have to pay the ship doctor completely before leaving the ship and it will be EXPENSIVE. now that said if it is an infection the sooner she gets on meds the better.

I hope she does not have flu or her cruise will be severely interrupted.

I agree with others decongestant which she can buy on board but expensive warm compresses, NO WATER in ear. shampoo or swimming.

I would agree with this. There is a doctor on board. Why wouldn't she visit him/her? There is no way you can diagnose this over the phone. I am guessing it may possibly just be congestion based on what you described, but a doctor could tell her in a few seconds.

I have to be honest RHIT - I have a hard time believing some of your posts.

Archived