African American Hair

vrog33

I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

I saw your photos...your hair looked beautiful! A lot of the things you did I do now...braid/twistouts, etc. for vacation hair(I've been natural for 15years). I'm a Wen girl(I hear all kinds of great things about Oyin and want to try), and not wanting to do a sew in for my cruise. I'm doing the hat/scarf/retro updo route during the day(using a swim cap), and rely on the quick wigs I made for evening. I'm also thinking of washing and flatironing it at home, then working with my texture as the cruise wears on(with a Wen wash in the middle). I made up my own leave in conditioner, so moisturizing and sealing will be no problem. It looks like you had a great time, I'm glad it worked out!

Edited by cocobakerchica

This post has a great pic of my hair, cruise day two, loose braid -out

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34031362

~Grammatical errors? spelling mistakes? nonsensical sentences? Don't blame me, blame tapatalk! ~

Your hair is beautiful, you look great! Thanks, by the way, for that coupon code. I don't use shampoo anymore(my hair is hooked on Wen and its generic cousins<lol>), but I want to try some of the Oyin styling products, and see if it's any better than the concoction I've whipped up for myself while tinkering. You had me laughing on the other fashion thread(pet peeves, part 2), and made some great points

Your hair is beautiful, you look great! Thanks, by the way, for that coupon code. I don't use shampoo anymore(my hair is hooked on Wen and its generic cousins<lol>), but I want to try some of the Oyin styling products, and see if it's any better than the concoction I've whipped up for myself while tinkering. You had me laughing on the other fashion thread(pet peeves, part 2), and made some great points

Hi, I have watched countless infomercials for the Wen products and have always wondered if they would be good for my hair. Which one do you prefer to use. If heard that the fig is the best for most hair types.

I need to know brands of hair I should look for, planning to get a sew in weave for my cruise. Want the 2 strand twist (loose) look. So bascially want the weave to look like I wet twist set my hair , then once dry untwisted the 2 strand twist. I think its called a twist set, Yes that is what I want my weave hair to look like. Plan to swim a little, so maybe I guess I need the weave hair that once wet, keeps the same look and can dry on its own and still look nice. I don't mind paying for some nice hair but not over $70 a pack since I will only wear it a couple of weeks after the cruise. So is this possible to find some nice weave hair for that price, and if so please give me some brands to check out.

Also want product should I take to put on the wear hair to keep it looking nice.

Just got my Oyin Handmade samples in the mail yesterday and gave them a try. Love them all so far! I tried:

Hair Dew

Burnt Sugar Pomade

After Bath Oil

I also have the Honey Hemp Conditioner and will probably try it this weekend. Really liking the Hair Dew and Pomade. My hair is full of moisture without feeling heavy or greasy. And the After Bath Oil makes my skin feel like silk. It lasts a long time too. I'm very happy with the products. :)

Hi, I have watched countless infomercials for the Wen products and have always wondered if they would be good for my hair. Which one do you prefer to use. If heard that the fig is the best for most hair types.

I first tried a "seasonal" one, the Pumpkin and Ginger, and loved it. I then decided to buy the 'today's special' on QVC, of a 32 oz. bottle, plus some styling creams and a 16 oz. bottle of seasonal formula, and it's also auto shipped three times(the chosen formula and treatments, plus a new seasonal)tor the same price(and break up those payments!). I opted for Fig for my 32 oz. bottle, and I LOVE it! I find it to be the most moisturizing, and I like the scent. I think the prices are better on the infomercials, then it's best to look out for when Chaz Dean is appearing on QVC and catch when Wen is a 'today's special' to get a great deal.

What I do to stretch out my Wen is to also use generic formulas of Wen(Sally Beauty makes one called Hair One, and the other is called Lisa Rachel. I found at a discount store in my area--the Christmas Tree Shops--but I've also read that this brand can be found at a store called Ross). I use the cheaper generic for the first wash, then Wen for the final one. The generics are between $6-$12(compared to the almost $30 for Wen), and do a great job too. The ingredients are about 95% similar, with some Wen formulas having slightly different and/or more expensive ingredients.

Just got my Oyin Handmade samples in the mail yesterday and gave them a try. Love them all so far! I tried:

Hair Dew

Burnt Sugar Pomade

After Bath Oil

I also have the Honey Hemp Conditioner and will probably try it this weekend. Really liking the Hair Dew and Pomade. My hair is full of moisture without feeling heavy or greasy. And the After Bath Oil makes my skin feel like silk. It lasts a long time too. I'm very happy with the products. :)

I don't have long hair, but it is probably the length of Halle Berry. I love wearing it short, but would love to cruise without having to worry about getting my hair wet. My husband is a swimmer, unlike myself, but I would love to enjoy the pool with him. Any suggestions on what to do with short hair?

I don't have long hair, but it is probably the length of Halle Berry. I love wearing it short, but would love to cruise without having to worry about getting my hair wet. My husband is a swimmer, unlike myself, but I would love to enjoy the pool with him. Any suggestions on what to do with short hair?

Girl, I wish I was brave enough to wear my hair that short! It looks so freeing! Of course, when I think of Halle Berry, I think of her short pixie do, even though she has been seen with chin to shoulder-length hair and longer. If we are talking the pixie length, I wouldn't do anything special.

If you swim, I would just wash it with a gentle shampoo afterward (got to get the salt water out) and then condition/detangle, moisturize, and then add some definition. If you are looking at Oyin Handmade products in specific, this is the routine I would use:

#1 any gentle shampoo. If you want to use Oyin's Honey Wash, remember that it is a Castile soap and doesn't lather very much, but cleanses quite effectively.

#2 Honey-hemp Conditioner. Apply liberally, let it sit while you wash the rest of yourself, brush/comb through, and rinse. Then put a quarter-sized dollop in your hands and run it through your hair without rinsing.

#3 Hair dew. Run through your hair, brush or comb through.

#4 Shine and Define. Run through your hair. Let air dry. Finish with a sparkly clip, barrette, or hair band. Love your curls!

I would only do this once a day, after whatever swimming. If you are going to swim multiple times, you may want to run some Honey-Hemp through your hair between times just to protect it. At night, just cover with a scarf and refresh your curls in the morning by running wet hands through.

Girl, I wish I was brave enough to wear my hair that short! It looks so freeing! Of course, when I think of Halle Berry, I think of her short pixie do, even though she has been seen with chin to shoulder-length hair and longer. If we are talking the pixie length, I wouldn't do anything special.

If you swim, I would just wash it with a gentle shampoo afterward (got to get the salt water out) and then condition/detangle, moisturize, and then add some definition. If you are looking at Oyin Handmade products in specific, this is the routine I would use:

#1 any gentle shampoo. If you want to use Oyin's Honey Wash, remember that it is a Castile soap and doesn't lather very much, but cleanses quite effectively.

#2 Honey-hemp Conditioner. Apply liberally, let it sit while you wash the rest of yourself, brush/comb through, and rinse. Then put a quarter-sized dollop in your hands and run it through your hair without rinsing.

#3 Hair dew. Run through your hair, brush or comb through.

#4 Shine and Define. Run through your hair. Let air dry. Finish with a sparkly clip, barrette, or hair band. Love your curls!

I would only do this once a day, after whatever swimming. If you are going to swim multiple times, you may want to run some Honey-Hemp through your hair between times just to protect it. At night, just cover with a scarf and refresh your curls in the morning by running wet hands through.

Yes, it's freeing, but a lot of work. As a matter of fact, I have a hair appointment after work to get it trimmed and colored (black). I go every two weeks. My hair used to curl, but since I did chemotherapy a few years back, my hair came in coarser, and it is just not the same texture. I miss it, but, I'm alive...lol...

Where do you purchase these hair products from?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On my Dec cruise I wore my own hair. When I got to Miami the humidity did a number on the curls. It held up for Elegant Night after that I put in ponytail. I had a couple of drawstring ones with me, but didnt even use them. Im debating whether I'll go the same route this time or try the seneghales twist. I dont like sitting a long time to get my hair done. And I have a messed up arm, so have a hard time taking hair loose. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is the twists easy to take out?

During the summer months Senegalese twist is all I wear. I love them and get a ton of compliments. Yeah it does take a long time( i wear mine down to my butt) but its worth it not have to deal with doing your hair while on vacation. Just a lil spirtz with moisturizing spray and I am done. I do wash and deep condition my hair with them in as well.

Now as far as taking them it...yes they are relatively easy. They are braided a little to secure and the rest is twisted. You can cut them a lil so you dont have much to take out. Just make sure not to cut your natural hair.

On my Dec cruise I wore my own hair. When I got to Miami the humidity did a number on the curls. It held up for Elegant Night after that I put in ponytail. I had a couple of drawstring ones with me, but didnt even use them. Im debating whether I'll go the same route this time or try the seneghales twist. I dont like sitting a long time to get my hair done. And I have a messed up arm, so have a hard time taking hair loose. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is the twists easy to take out?

• 1 month later...

I keep my natural (4a) hair flat twisted 100% of the time between wash/deep condition days and have transitioned from 3/4 wigs to lacefronts because the combs in those wigs were causing breakage. I love the LFs and my hairline is doing great. I don't swim so I don't ned to worry about getting my hair wet. I secure my LFs with 2 bobbypins only. I don't use the combs in any of these wigs anymore.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone here tried tree or crochet braids? Looking for an easy style for my hair next month when I cruise.

Karen

I'm getting tree braids next Monday for the first time. I will let you know my experience. If it works for me, I might wear them for my wedding cruise.

I haven't tried crochet braids yet, but I do plan on doing protective styling by doing retro pin-up styles using scarves for day, and updos and twists incorporating Marley textured braiding hair for some evening styles for my upcoming cruise. @tranquilrain, what type of hair/texture will you be using for your crochet braids?

Just left the beauty supply store. Hair for tree braids is sooo expensive. I was told to use human hair for tree braids. For good hair $25/pack. Now crochet braids much more affordable. Got some Freetress deep wave for $5/pack.

Karen

Edited by nurseingu

I haven't tried crochet braids yet, but I do plan on doing protective styling by doing retro pin-up styles using scarves for day, and updos and twists incorporating Marley textured braiding hair for some evening styles for my upcoming cruise. @tranquilrain, what type of hair/texture will you be using for your crochet braids?

I'm not an expert at all on this, but I like the pics on the shop's FB page with wavy hair. Not wet and wavy for tree braids (looks like you got caught in the rain) but deep wave or a slightly looser wave. The Braid Lounge provides the hair and that is a blessing for me.

I tried this style a few months ago and will probably never go back to extensions and weaves. They are easy to maintain even if you frequent the water (pools/ocean). I would suggest bringing xtra hair and hook on you trip for emergencies. I like being able to touch my own hair- moisturize and check my natural hairs health, while keeping it in a protective style. I recommend trying this style prior to travel. This has been a great find-looks good & inexpensive (I do this style myself-just purchase the hair)

ETA: sorry abt the pic

image.jpg.a2498a9430706da651b8e2e3181e68ec.jpg

Edited by MaraBerk

I tried this style a few months ago and will probably never go back to extensions and weaves. They are easy to maintain even if you frequent the water (pools/ocean). I would suggest bringing xtra hair and hook on you trip for emergencies. I like being able to touch my own hair- moisturize and check my natural hairs health, while keeping it in a protective style. I recommend trying this style prior to travel. This has been a great find-looks good & inexpensive (I do this style myself-just purchase the hair)

Thank you for the pic! It looks good on you. I hope that this style can be an alternative to regular weave, which I haven't tried yet either. One more day. I'm excited to see the results. I hope there won't be any emergencies bc I would just throw on a scarf. LOL

Thank you for the pic! It looks good on you. I hope that this style can be an alternative to regular weave, which I haven't tried yet either. One more day. I'm excited to see the results. I hope there won't be any emergencies bc I would just throw on a scarf. LOL

Thank you, I was the queen of weave for a few years and this has become my staple for curly/wavy hairstyles. I wouldn't recommend using this technique to install straight hair-harder to blend/cover knots & parts imo. I hope this works well for you. I've only had to do touch ups after 3weeks so you should be fine without an emergency kit.

I like that! What kind of hair is it?

Karen