Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We will be visiting Dubrovnik on Nov. 6th. Problem is our ship doesn't dock until noon and that places close earlier so we were wondering if the four of us should take a taxi to the Old Town and if we'll have enough time to walk the complete wall and then walk the town to see the sights or walk the wall only half way, get off somewhere near the Ploce Gate and walk back down the Stradum.

Any ideas how to plan our day so we can get the most out of it.

We will be visiting Dubrovnik on Nov. 6th. Problem is our ship doesn't dock until noon and that places close earlier so we were wondering if the four of us should take a taxi to the Old Town and if we'll have enough time to walk the complete wall and then walk the town to see the sights or walk the wall only half way, get off somewhere near the Ploce Gate and walk back down the Stradum.

Any ideas how to plan our day so we can get the most out of it.

Taking a taxi will give you a faster transfer to the old town. You can begin the wall at the main entrance, do the sea side and go down at the Ploce exit, normally takes about 1 hour. This will allow you time to visit some of our other historical sites. Your plan is good.

Taking a taxi will give you a faster transfer to the old town. You can begin the wall at the main entrance, do the sea side and go down at the Ploce exit, normally takes about 1 hour. This will allow you time to visit some of our other historical sites. Your plan is good.

Once we get our ticket to walk the wall which I believe is on the right side and then proceed to the left side to enter Pile Gate will there be signs directing us to the "sea side" part of the wall?

Are there signs directing you where to get off at the Ploce Gate area?

I know the wall is only open to 3pm but what time are the other historical sites open till? We have all afternoon and don't plan on returning to the ship till around 5 or 6pm so any other suggestions or will visiting the historical sites take that long?

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady, appreciate your help. We can't wait to visit and now just have to hope the weather cooperates.

Once we get our ticket to walk the wall which I believe is on the right side and then proceed to the left side to enter Pile Gate will there be signs directing us to the "sea side" part of the wall?

Are there signs directing you where to get off at the Ploce Gate area?

I know the wall is only open to 3pm but what time are the other historical sites open till? We have all afternoon and don't plan on returning to the ship till around 5 or 6pm so any other suggestions or will visiting the historical sites take that long?

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady, appreciate your help. We can't wait to visit and now just have to hope the weather cooperates.

Once you enter the arch into the old part of town, ticket purchase is to the right - entrance to the wall is on the left. Upon reaching the top (87 steps), direction is counter clockwise only. You will need no help locating the sea, it is very obvious. No sign at the Ploce exit, just ask any of the control agents along the way. You can also exit at the Maritime Museum area, nice stop before going down to the Stradun.

Just found a new website about all the museums, it will assist you with hours and fees. Keep in mind, the 3pm closing is from last year, it may change this year - one never knows about these things here.

http://www.dumus.hr/en/dubrovnik-museums/

I seem to remember Dubrovnik switched to the Euro this past summer but I am not sure about that. Can you clarify the currency we would need for a taxi to the Old Town? Many thanks. Trish

Croatia is expected to become part of the EU in July 2013. It will take a few more years to change our legal currency. That being said, you will find that taxi drivers will accept Euros as payment, however it is not the legal currency of the country yet. Taxi fare from the Gruz harbor is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros.

• 3 weeks later...

What a nice person you are to reply to all of these posts. We live near Venice, my husband is military and we are going on a cruise with 4 of our 5 kids, youngest being 4 and my parents from America. We have been to Croatia before and love it and the kind people. I am very excited to go to Dubrovnik. We arrive Saturday the 10th of November as do two other ships. I really want to walk the wall and just see the town. Do you think a stroller is needed or able to be used for my 4 year old or will it get in the way? We are used to traveling around Europe and know sometimes it is unnecessary. Any advice you have for traveling with a large family would be welcome. Also as far as hiring a taxi I assume we will need to split into two groups? Also my dad can walk but can have trouble sometimes would you recommend the wall walk or not?

Thank you so much!!!

What a nice person you are to reply to all of these posts. We live near Venice, my husband is military and we are going on a cruise with 4 of our 5 kids, youngest being 4 and my parents from America. We have been to Croatia before and love it and the kind people. I am very excited to go to Dubrovnik. We arrive Saturday the 10th of November as do two other ships. I really want to walk the wall and just see the town. Do you think a stroller is needed or able to be used for my 4 year old or will it get in the way? We are used to traveling around Europe and know sometimes it is unnecessary. Any advice you have for traveling with a large family would be welcome. Also as far as hiring a taxi I assume we will need to split into two groups? Also my dad can walk but can have trouble sometimes would you recommend the wall walk or not?

Thank you so much!!!

The wall is 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 1080 steps spread throughout. If you only did half, the sea side, it is less strenuous. It does mean entering at the main entrance and there are 87 steps to reach the top. Once you begin there are no exits until you reach the old port area, the half way point. Does your dad think he might be able to manage it? If not, you can let him wait at one of the outdoor cafes, he can spend time people watching and sipping his beverage of choice. Weather, of course, may be the determining factor as November is normally our wettest month. That being said, our weather this year was far from normal. A stroller would be ok down on the flat part of town, but not on the wall.

With a large group you may want to hire a mini van with driver. There are many firms who would be able to accommodate your group. As per rules of cruise critic I am not able to recommend any specific company. You can do your own research and you will find many choices for Dubrovnik.

Enjoy your time here, it is a lovely town.

The wall is 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 1080 steps spread throughout. If you only did half, the sea side, it is less strenuous. It does mean entering at the main entrance and there are 87 steps to reach the top. Once you begin there are no exits until you reach the old port area, the half way point.

Hello! I've been following this thread and I have a question now... so, how exactly do we get to the main entrance so we can only walk half of the wall - the sea side of the wall?? This is about what my husband and I would want to do, I think.

My idea for our day in Dubrovnik is to get off the boat and hire someone to take us around Dubrovnik for a some good views and pictures, then walk half the wall, then go to the shops, have some lunch and spend our day exploring, hoping to find a buzza bar or simply getting lost in the town. :) Would catching a taxi or tour once we disembark be a good way to go about also getting a ride to the entrance... after the tour is over??

Any suggestion is welcome as I am still new in my planning of our day in Dubrovnik.

Hello! I've been following this thread and I have a question now... so, how exactly do we get to the main entrance so we can only walk half of the wall - the sea side of the wall?? This is about what my husband and I would want to do, I think.

My idea for our day in Dubrovnik is to get off the boat and hire someone to take us around Dubrovnik for a some good views and pictures, then walk half the wall, then go to the shops, have some lunch and spend our day exploring, hoping to find a buzza bar or simply getting lost in the town. :) Would catching a taxi or tour once we disembark be a good way to go about also getting a ride to the entrance... after the tour is over??

Any suggestion is welcome as I am still new in my planning of our day in Dubrovnik.

I have shown the site for you to download the town map. This will give you a better understanding of the locations of the harbor in relation to the old part of town. The main entrance to the wall is located at #2, walking counter clockwise until you reach #29, near the aquarium - exit at the half way point. That being said you may want to continue just a bit further and enjoy the views of the old port and exit at the Ploce area #26.

Taxis are lined up waiting at the harbor for cruise guests, ask for his price for a one hour panorama tour and if it is within your budget, go for it. However do not just take the taxi tour, please do enter the town and enjoy what the side streets have to offer.

Exactly when do you expect to visit Dubrovnik? Some prices and hours do change with our low season, beginning 01 November. Keep in mind that after we go off daylight savings, sunset will be about 4:45pm...

Thank you so much!!!

We are just back from Dubrovnik. Had a wonderful, wonderful time. We went on the cable car in the morning (the weather was perfect) and then we walked around the Old Town. (We travelled with 2 young children and a granny as well as two aunts).

My mother then went back with the children to the ship as she did not want to walk the wall (she was battling with very swollen feet). We had a guided walk of the wall with a fantastic guide named Stjepan. You can contact him via:

www.dubrovniktours.net

Regarding the stroller: we did not bring it when we were in Dubrovnik as we did not want to have it with us on the cable car. However, if you are not doing the cable car then it may come in useful in the Old Town. I would definitely not recommend it for the wall walk as there are far too many steps. I also would not recommend the wall walk for a 4 year old child.

Regarding the taxi: yes we did need two for our party of 7.

Hope this helps!

We are just back from Dubrovnik. Had a wonderful, wonderful time. Regarding the taxi: yes we did need two for our party of 7. Hope this helps!

Glad to know that things worked well and that your weather was super in scenic Dubrovnik. Any other details on this stop and/or other locations to share on what you liked most, etc.? You had a big group to be handling and managing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 109,009 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Glad to know that things worked well and that your weather was super in scenic Dubrovnik. Any other details on this stop and/or other locations to share on what you liked most, etc.? You had a big group to be handling and managing!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 109,009 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry! Yes, I did have a big group and thanks to lots of research and invaluable help from CC members we had an AWESOME time. It is one of those trips that I will look back on with joy and thanks - such good family memories were made with my children, my mom and sisters-in-law and last but not least my amazing DH.

I have tried to post a review but am having some problems getting it through. Have emailed CC to get help!

A big thank-you to you also - your photos were an inspiration!

September would be my first choice, as many of the European land guests will be gone. Dubrovnik will still be busy but much better is September than July. No doubt in my mind at all on this question.

Dubrovniktravelady, in March, I asked you for your valued input as to when would be better to travel to Dubrovnik.

I just want to let you know that your reply above was a big factor in us changing our cruise date. You will not know just how much it meant to us - not only did we have the most amazing cruise but we were able to have family members join us and it was extra special.

I also followed lots of other suggestions and advice you have given on this thread - thank-you - your advice is worth gold.

Thanks Terry! Yes, I did have a big group and thanks to lots of research and invaluable help from CC members we had an AWESOME time. It is one of those trips that I will look back on with joy and thanks - such good family memories were made with my children, my mom and sisters-in-law and last but not least my amazing DH. I have tried to post a review but am having some problems getting it through. Have emailed CC to get help! A big thank-you to you also - your photos were an inspiration!

Appreciate your kind comments. For those who have not read through earlier postings here is that link:

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 10,910 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Hope your review gets uploaded. Look forward to see more details.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

Dubrovniktravelady, in March, I asked you for your valued input as to when would be better to travel to Dubrovnik.

I just want to let you know that your reply above was a big factor in us changing our cruise date. You will not know just how much it meant to us - not only did we have the most amazing cruise but we were able to have family members join us and it was extra special.

I also followed lots of other suggestions and advice you have given on this thread - thank-you - your advice is worth gold.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time in Dubrovnik. This past September was busy and the heat wave a bit difficult to handle, but it is still a better time to visit than July or August. May I suggest you think about a land tour, there is so much to enjoy in the fall.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time in Dubrovnik. This past September was busy and the heat wave a bit difficult to handle, but it is still a better time to visit than July or August. May I suggest you think about a land tour, there is so much to enjoy in the fall.

Yes, thank-you. A land tour would be wonderful. The world is so big with so much to see and do... if I could come again next year I would be very happy!

I have shown the site for you to download the town map. This will give you a better understanding of the locations of the harbor in relation to the old part of town. The main entrance to the wall is located at #2, walking counter clockwise until you reach #29, near the aquarium - exit at the half way point. That being said you may want to continue just a bit further and enjoy the views of the old port and exit at the Ploce area #26.

Taxis are lined up waiting at the harbor for cruise guests, ask for his price for a one hour panorama tour and if it is within your budget, go for it. However do not just take the taxi tour, please do enter the town and enjoy what the side streets have to offer.

Exactly when do you expect to visit Dubrovnik? Some prices and hours do change with our low season, beginning 01 November. Keep in mind that after we go off daylight savings, sunset will be about 4:45pm...

Hello! I only just realized my reply to your post did not go through!! I replied to you straight away so I do apologize... for starters, THANK YOU for taking the time to answer my questions!! I will reference your map. I believe we will want to take a taxi or tour after debarkation, something from someone local (hopefully), and then walk half of the wall (the sea section), then go shopping, have lunch in a local restaurant, wonder the streets, and get lost a bit... my husband and I enjoy walking here and there and everywhere to maybe see something out of the way and hopefully interact a bit with locals. I don't know much about Croatia besides you can get good deals on amber jewelry there (I hear) and from everything I have seen, it is absolutely beautiful.

Do you have any suggestions as to something else we should try to get from Dubrovnik while we are there??

Edited by CupKayke

• 3 weeks later...

DubrovnikLady,

Thanks for your help with all the Dubrovnik questions. I was wondering if you would comment on my plan. We would take a taxi to the Buza gate and walk around the walls (heading west initially) until we loop around to Ploce Gate. This would allow us to see virtually all the wall walk yet hopefully avoiding some of the crowds. At Ploce Gate we would walk to the cable car, see Mount Srd, come back down and then walk to Pile gate. At that point we would visit old town, eat lunch ( Taj Mahal), go to the Rupe Museum and at the end of the day if we are up for it visit the Fort of St Lawrence. Any holes in this?

Thanks in advance.

DubrovnikLady,

Thanks for your help with all the Dubrovnik questions. I was wondering if you would comment on my plan. We would take a taxi to the Buza gate and walk around the walls (heading west initially) until we loop around to Ploce Gate. This would allow us to see virtually all the wall walk yet hopefully avoiding some of the crowds. At Ploce Gate we would walk to the cable car, see Mount Srd, come back down and then walk to Pile gate. At that point we would visit old town, eat lunch ( Taj Mahal), go to the Rupe Museum and at the end of the day if we are up for it visit the Fort of St Lawrence. Any holes in this?

Thanks in advance.

Wondering if you are sure that you want to begin at Buza gate. This is a small north entrance to the old town, but is not near any of the wall entrances. I do believe you have gotten the eastern and western gates mixed up. Perhaps another study of the town map may help you get your bearings.

Sorry but your plan has far too many holes.

Try this one: Take taxi to Pile Brsalje area, then up on the wall on the sea side to the exit at Ploce, with a stop at the Maritime Musuem before going down. Turn right from the Ploce gate exit, go up the hill to the main gate exit and turn left to reach the cable car. Return down and head towards the fire station. At this point if you want to do the steps down to the old town,cross the road and go down to the Buza gate. This will bring you inside the old part of town very close to your restaurant of choice.

You should have time for Lovrijenac, the view of the town is very spectacular from the top of the old fort.

Your arrival in mid July will be busy, that is the nature of high season. However there are seldom many crowded areas of the wall,it is just too long for a mass to happen.

When you plan your walking trip, use the map and try to make a circle. Your original plan has you backtracking much too often.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Wondering if you are sure that you want to begin at Buza gate. This is a small north entrance to the old town, but is not near any of the wall entrances. I do believe you have gotten the eastern and western gates mixed up. Perhaps another study of the town map may help you get your bearings.

Sorry but your plan has far too many holes.

Try this one: Take taxi to Pile Brsalje area, then up on the wall on the sea side to the exit at Ploce, with a stop at the Maritime Musuem before going down. Turn right from the Ploce gate exit, go up the hill to the main gate exit and turn left to reach the cable car. Return down and head towards the fire station. At this point if you want to do the steps down to the old town,cross the road and go down to the Buza gate. This will bring you inside the old part of town very close to your restaurant of choice.

You should have time for Lovrijenac, the view of the town is very spectacular from the top of the old fort.

Your arrival in mid July will be busy, that is the nature of high season. However there are seldom many crowded areas of the wall,it is just too long for a mass to happen.

When you plan your walking trip, use the map and try to make a circle. Your original plan has you backtracking much too often.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Thanks for the quick response! I was afraid the Buza gate did not have access to the walls :confused:. I think part of my problem is I don't yet appreciate the topograhy of Dubrovnik! I did see where the Buza gate has many steps. I will reroute my plans as you suggest, thanks again!

Thanks for the quick response! I was afraid the Buza gate did not have access to the walls :confused:. I think part of my problem is I don't yet appreciate the topograhy of Dubrovnik! I did see where the Buza gate has many steps. I will reroute my plans as you suggest, thanks again!

Last year we had a group who counted the steps in town. The city wall has a grand total of 1080. The entire old town, inside of the wall, has a grand total of 5,395. Yes Buza does have steps, lots and lots of steps. That side of town is built on the mountain side, to reach Buza gate is a chore at best. You must understand that many of our steps are very small when the town was rebuilt after the 1667 big earthquake. When I go up to my dentist, my feet are pointed at 11 and 2 on the clock...

Do keep in mind the wall is one way, counter clockwise. Begin at the main entrance, closest to Pile and spend time on the sea side, the easier side. Make sure you bring water, sun hat and sun screen!