Latest copy of Mariner Magazine renderings of seaview pool area etc

lettienets

In the edition that just arrived there are pictures of renderings for the Veendam, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Statendam and Maasdam showing the lanai rooms, showroom at sea etc.

I would still like to know whose stupid idea is it to replace the seaview pools with these wading pool retreats? It is just plain dumb. People want more pools not less. The beautiful seaview pool areas are so loved by HAL passengers.

Not enough has been said on this board re the passengers' opinions on these changes, particularly the seaview pool area.

What do you think?

I have not seen the drawings yet and I am awaiting comments from the people who are currently on the m.s. VEENDAM

Is the retreat wading pool in on the Veendam already? It will be interesting to hear what people say. The Lido pool is already crowded. I am not happy losing the seaview pool. Loved it there.

I always wonder where these ideas come from. It certainly isn't market research with real passengers.

I asked Dutch by Association about this way back when he first came on and got no answer to my query.

Is the retreat wading pool in on the Veendam already? It will be interesting to hear what people say. The Lido pool is already crowded. I am not happy losing the seaview pool. Loved it there.

I always wonder where these ideas come from. It certainly isn't market research with real passengers.

I asked Dutch by Association about this way back when he first came on and got no answer to my query.

Poster Richard from Panama reports from onboard that workers are completing the retreat while at sea.

Rich

While I agree with you some of the stupid inane ideas people come up with in changing our beloved HAL ships,Ireally do not belive our passenger opinions mean anything to those at head office,they ae going to do what they want regardless of what we think,IMHO.

As you say, maybe not enough discussion, but there are some practical benefits of the additions. I like that there are more verandah rooms,and the lanai rooms look much better than an ordinary outside room IMO.

The new wading area looks inviting too. It wasn't as though people were doing laps in the old pool. On the Ryndam last year, we rarely saw people in this area except when there was a party.

It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those coming off the Veendam!!!

:D:D:D

If you look at the new deck plans there are now aft verandah cabins and inside cabins on navigation deck right below the retreat which preclude them from having a full depth pool in this location. I think the retreat is more of a compromise between the "need" to add cabins for revenue and the desire to keep some sort of aft pool area. I doubt they removed the pool just for the heck of it because they felt people would rather sit in 18" of water.

Why did they need to add the GIANT TV screen to the adult retreat, the idea of a retreat is to relax. Having a movie running in the background kind of defeats the purpose of a retreat space, doesn't it?

I'm only guess this, but anyone who uses those chaise long in the wadding pool area will want to use a towel to sit on them, which you can bet will end up being soaking wet within minutes. I can just see the mountain of wet towels they will need wash.

Sorry, but some ideas are just plain doomed from the get go.

IMO, the Retreat is all about making space for more staterooms...more passengers....more cruise sales....more onboard spending.....more gross income....more profit.

IMO, the Retreat has been presented as a benefit to passengers, but I doubt that is what motivated HAL to make the changes which brought it about.

I can't determine from the photos I've seen if one can lay on a lounger at this Retreat area and NOT be in the fountain/water. I don't necessarily like to be wet while sunning. What about folks who come out to read a book and are wearing shorts? Are there lounges in the sun that stay dry?

Thanks if anyone knows or can determine from the photos.

so did I.... no answer either.... probably doesn't want to for fear he might get in trouble for answering "honestly".

The new wading area looks inviting too. It wasn't as though people were doing laps in the old pool.

:D:D:D

I don't think anyone cares about doing laps... I think it has more to do with the fact that people can immerse their whole body in the pool rather than just their feet and ankles in this new "kiddie" pool

Look, the retreat pool is a done deal on Veendam and will be a done deal on the other four designated ships by this time next year. Take a look at it, or at least listen to the folks who are/will be on those five ships in person and get their opinion(s). Richard in Panama is on Veendam as we speak. Seattle has made a decision, no doubt to attract younger families. Why? because they run a business and can't afford to keep playing 8-track recorders instead of Ipod Nano's!

Does anybody here know how much that former seaview pool was used for "swimming" on a daily basis, on every cruise? I sure don't. Was a survey conducted by HAL? Heck, if I know but me suspects, there was. The decision was made and us few, on Cruise Critic, aren't gonna make them reverse it. If you don't like the idea, well, don't book a cruise on those five ships. With my limited math skills and using fingers and toes, that leaves eight more dam ships to choose from, nine next year. If that doesn't do it, here's another no brainer.........see ya HAL, Hello Cunard!

OK, lemmie have it!:cool:

It is a quarterly periodical that HAL sends out to its Mariner Society members / repeat cruisers. I have elected to receive mine online. Here is a link to the WInter 2009 edition that I received electronically.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/mariner-cad-winter09/?stdata=email:044818128

As for seaview pool changes, I'll wait for the rush to pre-judge to subside, before I weigh in. :-)

Scott.

Look, the retreat pool is a done deal on Veendam and will be a done deal on the other four designated ships by this time next year. Take a look at it, or at least listen to the folks who are/will be on those five ships in person and get their opinion(s).

I agree, Copper, that it's silly to make a judgment until I see it for myself or at least get lots of first hand reports.

I'm just trying to determine if I'll still be able to lay on a lounger, in the sun, at this Retreat and be able to remain dry? Are all the loungers in the water or subject to spray from the 'fountain'?

I don't always spend as much time there as DH but like to come out and use a lounger for a while. I may not be wearing a swimsuit. Might just want to read for a while in the warm sun.

Can I stay dry and still 'lounge'?

Why? because they run a business and can't afford to keep playing 8-track recorders instead of Ipod Nano's!

I just sprayed Earl Grey all over my monitor!! LOL

I am a marketer by background. HAL has an excellent product and has carved out a great niche in an highly competitive market, but as Copper 10-8 points out, unfortunately demographics aren't necessarily on HAL's side.

Scott.

I just sprayed Earl Grey all over my monitor!! LOL

I am a marketer by background. HAL has an excellent product and has carved out a great niche in an highly competitive market, but as Copper 10-8 points out, unfortunately demographics aren't necessarily on HAL's side.

Scott.

Just being nosy:

London, Ontario airport - Air Canada - Sweden?

"YXU" is indeed London, ON's IATA airport code. "AC*SE" is what is printed on your boarding pass when you are a SuperElite with Aeroplan, which is the top-tier of Air Canada's frequent flyer programme. I live on a plane it would seem. I belong to a couple of different travel-related boards, and despite being in marketing, I am not terribly inventive so I just recycle my boardname!

Scott.

"YXU" is indeed London, ON's IATA airport code. "AC*SE" is what is printed on your boarding pass when you are a SuperElite with Aeroplan, which is the top-tier of Air Canada's frequent flyer programme. I live on a plane it would seem. I belong to a couple of different travel-related boards, and despite being in marketing, I am not terribly inventive!

Scott.

Cool, thanks Scott and happy flying to you!

It is a quarterly periodical that HAL sends out to its Mariner Society members / repeat cruisers.

We received our copy of Mariner yesterday. We have not actually sailed on HAL yet...but we are booked for 10/2010. So, inless they count up all our cruises with the cruiselines in their corporation...?!!

Archived