Latest copy of Mariner Magazine renderings of seaview pool area etc

lettienets

Whoa!!!! Who among us could possibly complain about anything to do with a cruise!;)

You'd be surprised. Try lining up in front of the Purser's office on the last couple of days of your cruise and listen to the very angry 'I-need-a-billing-adjustment-because' stories. :-)

On an happier note, the Veendam has safely made it into SAN, so we should be able to soon get some firsthand reportage about CNN, blaring videos, diapers, and the Retreat.

http://live6.truelook.com:80/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/sandiego&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1242327413917&width=640&height=480&quality=60&catalogname=catalog&preset=SEE%20San%20Diego1/Cruise+Ship+Terminal

1242320613117409.jpg.ba57d3edb8d00c298e8afffdc1981baa.jpg

I did gripe way back a long time ago. This griping only came on because the new Mariners Magazine I just received in the mail this week features a picture and I was giving my opinion on it and that is all and it got a discussion going. No, I do not think my opinion will change anybody's mind but I have as much right to my opinion as everybody else here (except for a couple of people here who think I don't have a right to an opinion like they do). And waiting to give a first hand report will not matter to me. I have already said it will look pretty, have a nice bar, videos, etc etc but my gripe is the disappearance of a full depth pool. Everybody who is complaining about what I have to say forgets that. I am being polite, I am not hurting anybody.

Lettienets,

This is your thread. You started it and you certainly have a right to express your opinion (though, I agree, many seem to think you shouldn't)! Many other people share your concern about the loss of the aft pool, obviously.

Now, where is MY Mariner magazine? :D

You'd be surprised. Try lining up in front of the Purser's office on the last couple of days of your cruise and listen to the very angry 'I-need-a-billing-adjustment-because' stories. :-)

The pursers office is only too happy to make "Adjustments"

ajudo600.jpg

I did not know you had to pay to sit in certain chairs!:eek: That is even worse. That i did not see coming.

Believe it or not, it was once the custom for ocean liners to charge passengers for a reserved chair/lounge.

The same amount of adults can make the same amount of noise! :D

I should hope not! The screaming of young voices, at the top of their voice, and the racing around a deck can be like nails down a blackboard! At least to me, it does.

I should hope not! The screaming of young voices, at the top of their voice, and the racing around a deck can be like nails down a blackboard! At least to me, it does.

You should have heard the screaming adults on the Grand Princess in Mar.09. It was just unreal...and I've heard plenty of noisy kids. Don't care to hear either one.

Not everyone books a verandah cabin, so that thinking does not work. I can deal with a wading pool in place of the Seaview Pool. What I don't want to see is a big screen back there playing movies, sports, concerts, etc. all day long. This is not what I consider a "Retreat" area. If this is going to be the way HAL is going in the future, it just might be the push we need to start investigating cruiselines like Crystal.

Very true, not everybody books a balcony, but I was only half joking when I wrote that. If having a outside private quite area is that important to somebody then maybe they should be considering a balcony. Slap a wading pool out there and you won't miss that aft pool one bit :D

Wouldn't the new retreat area attracting kids be a good thing? That could potentially mean fewer kids at the Lido pool which would be good for those that want to "swim" in a more adult environment.

From Rev Neal's current thread from Alaska:

"NEWS FLASH!

This comes from the Ryndam's Hotel Manager, Cees Tesslaar, at the Mariner Luncheon today (Thursday). The major refits of the Ryndam, Statendam, and Maasdam, where the aft pool deck is to be raised and a wading pool installed, has been CANCELLED. The Rotterdam will receive the refit in November per-plan (although there is still some question as to the nature of the pool portion of the refit ...they may just be raising the deck and adding a few verandahs and some aft verandahs).

As for the rest of the refit ... plans are up in the air. Thay may still reconfigure the Upper Promenade midships recreational area into the new Mix area, but it looks like they will not be installing the Lani cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck on the other 3 S-class ships. And, as a result, the Ryndam's Dry Dock next Feb has been reduced from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.

So, we have a little "good" news ... perhaps the negative feedback with regard to the aft refit has been taken into account? Who knows? :)"

Very true, not everybody books a balcony, but I was only half joking when I wrote that. If having a outside private quite area is that important to somebody then maybe they should be considering a balcony. Slap a wading pool out there and you won't miss that aft pool one bit :D

Being quiet is important to me but so is paying my mortgage. Going with a balcony room is not an option for me right now. Not everyone is flush with disposable cash.

"NEWS FLASH!

The major refits of the Ryndam, Statendam, and Maasdam, where the aft pool deck is to be raised and a wading pool installed, has been CANCELLED.

Can't wait to hear more about this. Wonder if it was cost cut, problems with the Veendam refit, or feedback?

WOW.

:D:D:D

"NEWS FLASH!

This comes from the Ryndam's Hotel Manager, Cees Tesslaar, at the Mariner Luncheon today (Thursday). The major refits of the Ryndam, Statendam, and Maasdam, where the aft pool deck is to be raised and a wading pool installed, has been CANCELLED. The Rotterdam will receive the refit in November per-plan (although there is still some question as to the nature of the pool portion of the refit ...they may just be raising the deck and adding a few verandahs and some aft verandahs).

As for the rest of the refit ... plans are up in the air. Thay may still reconfigure the Upper Promenade midships recreational area into the new Mix area, but it looks like they will not be installing the Lani cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck on the other 3 S-class ships. And, as a result, the Ryndam's Dry Dock next Feb has been reduced from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.

So, we have a little "good" news ... perhaps the negative feedback with regard to the aft refit has been taken into account? Who knows? :)"

Hip Hip Hurrah!!!

If Greg reports it, it has to be true!

Wonder what changed their minds?

Easy to speculate all the possible reasons but who cares.

"My" :) Beautiful Maasdam will still have her wonderful aft pool area.

Can't wait to hear more about this. Wonder if it was cost cut, problems with the Veendam refit, or feedback?

WOW.

:D:D:D

More than likely a combination of all of the above. A contract was probably already negotiated and executed for the Rotterdam refit. Would be costly for HAL to backout at this point.

B

"NEWS FLASH!

The HAL site has been updated to say that now only Veendam & Rotterdam will get the new resort pool concept & lanai cabins as part of the SOE enhancements. http://www.hollandamerica.com/SOE

Hip Hip Hurrah!!!

If Greg reports it, it has to be true!

Wonder what changed their minds?

Easy to speculate all the possible reasons but who cares.

"My" :) Beautiful Maasdam will still have her wonderful aft pool area.

I, for one, will never doubt the power of one of Lettienet's threads, ever again. One speculation is as good as another, so I'll say Lettienets changed their minds. I am struck dumb with amazement.:);)

Do you have magic upgrade powers, too, Lettie?:)

I, for one, will never doubt the power of one of Lettienet's threads, ever again. One speculation is as good as another, so I'll say Lettienets changed their minds. I am struck dumb with amazement.:);)

Do you have magic upgrade powers, too, Lettie?:)

Rev Neal's NEWS FLASH!

.......This comes from the Ryndam's Hotel Manager, Cees Tesslaar, at the Mariner Luncheon today (Thursday). The major refits of the Ryndam, Statendam, and Maasdam........

I nearly fell out of my computer chair.

Should we start a thread on the upgrade fairy??

Hopefully it doesn't mean that these three oldest ships aren't in HAL's long term plans and they therefore don't want to invest that much money into them.

You read my mind. :( I was afraid to write it lest it make it more possible. I don't even want to give it any tiny piece of speculation.

I'd rather think it was because of current economic times it didn't seem wise to make such huge investments with how much anticipated return?

Archived