Latest copy of Mariner Magazine renderings of seaview pool area etc

lettienets

"The "Retreat" cabanas on the Observation Deck

The retreat cabanas on the Eurodam are curtained off private areas, available for use for a fee.

I have not heard that the Veendam will have any private cabanas, but it has been referred to as a retreat area - possibly because it is intended for adults only. This is a very different concept, and from what I have heard so far, it will not attract an additional fee.

:D:D:D

.............I have not heard that the Veendam will have any private cabanas, but it has been referred to as a retreat area - possibly because it is intended for adults only. ......

:D:D:D

Laugh is right, an adult retreat area with wading pool and videos, no kids? NOT

Aren't those pay to rent chairs on Princess in a separate area and for suite passengers, a priority sittng area near the front of the pool?

There is going to confusion about Retreat Cabanas and Retreat on "S" class ships and Rotterdam. Not the same thing.

The Retreat Cabanas on Eurodam have a charge but it is the canvas surrounding, special lounges, extra amenities. They are private and reserved.

The Retreat area on Veendam and soon to be other ships has no charge for loungers. Who knows what might be planned for the future ?? but I have heard nothing about any charges there except for drinks at the bar. :) Having the bar will be a wonderful addition IMO. Lots of folks love the bars at aft sun areas where they can enjoy a drinik, be in the shade....while away a few minutes, an hour, an afternoon. :D

I don't love sitting long in the sun as much as DH but like to be out and around with him so even if I only want a club soda, it's nice to sit at the bar and have a chat with whoever.

Aren't those pay to rent chairs on Princess in a separate area and for suite passengers, a priority sittng area near the front of the pool?

No...are you kidding me. I've never been anywhere close to a suite. I usually buy the cheapest room on a ship since I'm somewhat young and have a mortgage. The Sactuary is open to anyone who will pony up the $10 and on the Grand Princess it wasn't overly close to the pool.

No matter what Hal does, changing the demographic will not be easy or happen as long as Hal has long wonderful unique itineraries which usually appeal to the oler people with the time and the money. And this back area is being called a "retreat" but a wading area without kids sounds like an impossibility and so much for a retreat, especially with videos. So if kids go there and wade around people will not be happy. Especially if they see diaper suits.

Laugh is right, an adult retreat area with wading pool and videos, no kids? NOT.

Isn't this sucking and blowing at the same time? With your first breath you state that HAL won't attract pax w/ kids because of its fabulously long and exotic itins (I personally agree - isn't the Veendam supposed to be doing 16 - 20 day SCL - GIG turns this coming winter?), or it will be apocalyptically and immediately morphed into a Gymboree-esque wading pool replete with squealing toddlers (and their soiled diapers floating in the scuppers) singing along to the Wiggles on the big screen?? Which is it?

Scott.

In the edition that just arrived there are pictures of renderings for the Veendam, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Statendam and Maasdam showing the lanai rooms, showroom at sea etc.

Does anyone know when the Rotterdam will undergo all these changes? We are booked on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in Jan. 2010. Will these changes be in effect on our cruise? Will we still have the Seaview Pool???

Does anyone know when the Rotterdam will undergo all these changes? We are booked on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in Jan. 2010. Will these changes be in effect on our cruise? Will we still have the Seaview Pool???

I don't think so (in having the pool) ... The Rotterdam is scheduled for its refitting the latter part of November (the 19th), continuing through the mid-part of December (15th). It is scheduled to resume cruising on the 16th December with a 19-day Panama Canal holiday cruise, repositioning to San Diego.

Scott.

I would still like to know whose stupid idea is it to replace the seaview pools with these wading pool retreats? It is just plain dumb. People want more pools not less. The beautiful seaview pool areas are so loved by HAL passengers.

I think this was a good idea initially, but got fouled up in the execution. If this had been an "adults only" retreat ... a place where adults could lay out in the sun, without hearing a bunch of kids splashing in the pools ... having perhaps bar service, food venues, etc., for their own personal enjoyment ... plus fountains to cool them off in the hot afternoon sun ... I think this would have been a great idea. I think even if HAL had charged a nominal fee for use of the area, it would have still been a success.

But the way the thing is panning out, that's not what it appears to be. There will be a bandstand back there, as well as a large movie screen. To me, that screams families. That area will in no way be a retreat on many cruises. It'll be a place for lots of screaming toddlers who can't use the main pool because they are still in diapers. The movie screen will attract the older kids, especially if HAL plays "family friendly" features on it during the day.

So, at least as far as I'm concerned, HAL has taken away one pool, but added an area that will be attractive for the younger kids. They'll also draw the older kids back there with the movies and concerts that may play on the large movie screen. The band stand will make it the idea place for sail away parties (same as now), and other "family" type activities.

And, the bottom line ... I've seen NOTHING in any of the HAL literature that says it's a "child-free" zone, so on your shorter Caribbean cruises, you're gonna see a lot of families back there ... and possibly an equally high noise level as you will get at the main Lido pool.

Now, of course, maybe that's by design ... after all, HAL is trying to put in more "family friendly" venues onboard its ships. But I'm just glad that the cruises I take tend to be longer ones, with not too many children onboard ... because on the shorter cruises, this new "retreat" area is gonna be anything but.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I always enjoy reading (and sometimes napping) by the aft deck pool and during all the times we have sailed, I have not often seen many people that actually used that pool to swim.

And that's why this would be fine ... MINUS the movie screen and the bandstand ... or just minus the movie screen if the bandstand is only used for sailaway festivities (as are done on the aft deck now). But adding those other venues ... the food, the movie screen, etc., is going to greatly increase the usage of that back deck area and it won't be the great place to lie out on a lounger now, because chances are you will have a lot of kids and toddlers running around back there ... because there are things to attract them and keep them back there.

I always thought the aft pool was nice because it provided a sort of "retreat" for adults to enjoy away from all the noise and whatnot that you get at the main Lido pool. While there are many cruises where that aft pool is not closed to children, often you didn't get many back there because the main Lido pool had more for them than the back one ... such as food, a larger pool, etc. But now all HAL is doing is spreading the crowd around between both the main and the aft deck ... and neither will be a quiet zone any longer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kryos..... What you envision could perhaps happen on holiday and spring break cruises but would be very rare for about 47-48 weeks of the year. HAL does not sail to the Caribbean for six months of the year so they are in cooler temps during those months or in busy port intensive itineraries of Canada/New England, Alaska and Europe (with some exception, of course). There will not be hordes of anyone at the pool for those cruises let alone 'masses of young diapered, screaming, yelling, splashing kids.

I agree for holiday and spring break cruises, your scenario is possible but again not 'carved in stone'. When we were on Eurodam in March, no children were permitted at aft pool...... these were spring break cruises. And I really want to add here that there were something like 300 kids on our first Eurodam cruise and they were great. We had NO issue with a single child/family. No vandalism, no screaming down hallways (that we heard), no problems. The few we had any interaction with were delightful.....and they did not disobey and use aft pool.

Isn't this sucking and blowing at the same time? With your first breath you state that HAL won't attract pax w/ kids because of its fabulously long and exotic itins (I personally agree - isn't the Veendam supposed to be doing 16 - 20 day SCL - GIG turns this coming winter?), or it will be apocalyptically and immediately morphed into a Gymboree-esque wading pool replete with squealing toddlers (and their soiled diapers floating in the scuppers) singing along to the Wiggles on the big screen?? Which is it?

Scott.

Depends on the itinerary that's all. Just takes 5 or 10 kids anyway to make a lot of noise. I don't want to change the demographic, HAL does. I got no problem the way it is.

And that's why this would be fine ... MINUS the movie screen and the bandstand ... or just minus the movie screen if the bandstand is only used for sailaway festivities (as are done on the aft deck now). But adding those other venues ... the food, the movie screen, etc., is going to greatly increase the usage of that back deck area and it won't be the great place to lie out on a lounger now, because chances are you will have a lot of kids and toddlers running around back there ... because there are things to attract them and keep them back there.

I always thought the aft pool was nice because it provided a sort of "retreat" for adults to enjoy away from all the noise and whatnot that you get at the main Lido pool. While there are many cruises where that aft pool is not closed to children, often you didn't get many back there because the main Lido pool had more for them than the back one ... such as food, a larger pool, etc. But now all HAL is doing is spreading the crowd around between both the main and the aft deck ... and neither will be a quiet zone any longer.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Why is increasing the use of the back deck area and creating more family friendly venues a bad thing? I am hoping it will draw some people away from the Lido pool and spreads the crowd out over both areas. If you want a "quiet" zone then that's what your verandah is for. Or, go hang out in the library. :p Seriously though, I think this will be a popular space on warm weather cruises, but whether or not it attracts more families and children is yet to be seen. I don't know that the smaller HAL ships are really that appealing to families with children, but on the shorter warm weather cruises, sure there will be some. I don't really see the appeal of this space though on cold weather cruises. Maybe they will empty out the 18" of water so their is more space to stand on the back deck for glacier viewing.

I agree that attracting more families is not to be dreaded but just want to comment that saying "if you want quiet space, stay on a verandah" doesn't work. :)

DH loves to sun/get tan. Our port side verandah almost never has sun he can lounge in and get his tan. :)

He loves to put on his swimsuit and sit at the pool area....whatever that is/will be.

We will not ever take an aft suite. Don't like the location; don't like those cabins though I am well aware many treasure them. We treasure our mid ship, port side cabins.

Why is increasing the use of the back deck area and creating more family friendly venues a bad thing? I am hoping it will draw some people away from the Lido pool and spreads the crowd out over both areas. If you want a "quiet" zone then that's what your verandah is for. Or, go hang out in the library. :p Seriously though, I think this will be a popular space on warm weather cruises, but whether or not it attracts more families and children is yet to be seen. I don't know that the smaller HAL ships are really that appealing to families with children, but on the shorter warm weather cruises, sure there will be some. I don't really see the appeal of this space though on cold weather cruises. Maybe they will empty out the 18" of water so their is more space to stand on the back deck for glacier viewing.

My gripe is a pool is disappearing for a wading pool. That's my beef. And attracting more kids to what was a retreat area for those who liked it that way. It looks pretty enough, functional enough, bar and videos etc, but the pool is gone. That's all I got to say anymore.:(

Thankfully, for the OP, currently HAL has 13 other unadulterated dam ships from which to choose, AND as an added bonus, the sun will still rise in the east tomorrow. :D

Scott.

Five HAL ships are getting this new Retreat area. Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam, Maasdam and Rotterdam are all going to drydocks in coming months/years. At the moment, yes., there are 13 others....but not for long.

I know HAL has to attract young families in order to survive. They must have tomorrow's cruisers start cruising today and I, for one, don't hate it. ;)

I'm thrilled HAL has chosen to spend so much money on these ships and that has to mean they intend to hold onto them for a while. We love those "S" and "R" class ships and if this is what it takes for HAL to continue sailing them, well then, so be it. I'd rather this than lose 'my' :) Maasdam.

Lettienets, what I don't understand is why you are griping about the "Signature of Excellence" renovations now? HAL announced them last November, six months ago. The Veendam has just completed her drydock, and the Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam, and Rotterdam are scheduled to go in over the next two years. This is a massive corporate underataking, with drydock facilities, contractors, supplies, etc. all having to be lined up well in advance. Do you think this thread on an internet chat board is going to change HAL's corporate plans? Why not wait until you've experienced the renovations for yourself, and then come back and give us a first-hand critique (good, bad and ugly) of what you observed?

Why is increasing the use of the back deck area and creating more family friendly venues a bad thing? I am hoping it will draw some people away from the Lido pool and spreads the crowd out over both areas. If you want a "quiet" zone then that's what your verandah is for.

Not everyone books a verandah cabin, so that thinking does not work. I can deal with a wading pool in place of the Seaview Pool. What I don't want to see is a big screen back there playing movies, sports, concerts, etc. all day long. This is not what I consider a "Retreat" area. If this is going to be the way HAL is going in the future, it just might be the push we need to start investigating cruiselines like Crystal.

There's some serious rumor control, misinformation and pure speculation being dished out here. The problem with that is that some folks will take that for the gospel. It is not

1. There is a major difference between the individual "Retreat" cabanas on Eurodam (yes, they cost $$) and the "retreat pool", so far only on Veendam (but, as of her first cruise out of drydock, not yet operational), and coming to Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Rotterdam later this year and early next year (See S7S's post)

2. There is no charge for the retreat pool!

3. There has been no info put out by HAL that the pool retreat will be "Adults Only"

4. The retreat pool area is out in the open and will not be enclosed

5. No one here knows yet how many hours a day the video screen will be on and, consequently, its audio played with what is being shown. Be patient, stand by, take a chill pill until that happens so you have the facts and can then knowlingly address as to how it will disturb your peace

6. If there was a survey re; the pool retreat, and no one here knows that unless you were the recipient of one, no one here knows the results/outcome of said survey. "betting that no more than five people wanted the seaview pool removed and replaced with a wading pool" is pure speculation.

7. If you are a fan of the former Seaview pool on the four "S" class ships and the Rotterdam for swimming laps in five strokes, that pool is/will be gone, outtahere, adios, hasta la vista, baby! Seattle made that decision, no doubt being aware that some folks will be upset and others happy campers.

8. You can't swim laps in the retreat pool unless you don't mind remaining completly stationary with no particular place to go while propelling your limbs - That's a fact, Jack!

9. There will still be lots of deck chairs - see artist rendering/last pic. Invest in a descent pair of sunglasses and an Ipod and download lots of Yanni and elevator music! Life will still be good

10. If you are a member of the Seaview pool fan club, of course you have the right to be angry and call the suits in Seattle stupid pollo loco's. They will, however, still sleep at night; they run a business, not a popularity contest.

11. A couple of two-three years ago when HAL came out with the dine "as you wish" concept, a lot of folks here were getting geared up for a frontal assault and 80-day siege on 300 Elliott Ave West in Seattle. You don't seem to hear much about that any more............

Tag, you're it!

Following three pics courtsey of Richard Detrich's blog + posted once before by YXU AC*SE

veendam-retreat-under-construction.jpg?w=448&h=336

Retreat pool

veendam-retreat-almost-there.jpg?w=448&h=336

Retreat pool

veendam-slice-coming-soon.jpg?w=448&h=336

"Slice" Pizzaria

xlarge.jpg

SEATTLE, Dec. 1 -- When Holland America Line's ms Statendam, ms

Maasdam, ms Ryndam, ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam emerge from nearly month-long dry docks with an additional $200 million in investments, one of the highlights will be The Retreat, a new resort-style pool area on the aft of the Lido deck. Catering to the preferences of today's upscale travelers, the

indulgent retreat is a first for the industry.

The main focus of the new pool experience will be a shallow area with forty-four lounge chairs where guests can relax and dip their fingers and toes in the water. Built-in benches create another place for guests to relax and dangle their legs in the refreshing water.

"The Retreat is a totally new approach for us to this area of the ship," said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. "We're creating an area where guests can relax outside in a sophisticated environment, and we're adding other fun and convenient features such as a whirlpool, a band and DJ stand and even a pizzeria."

The Retreat's pool will be divided into three main sections separated by low, curving walls running the length of the pool. The middle section is 16 inches deep so guests can sit on built-in benches in the water. The two side sections feature lounge chairs in eight inches of water -- perfect for cooling off on a hot day. Water falls and spouts enhance the decor. At the aft end of the pool will be a hot tub for soothing relaxation.

Slice, an upscale pizzeria, will be incorporated into the area, serving

signature pizzas, whole pies and slices to order. Tables and comfortable, padded chairs under a sunscreen provide an inviting place to dine al fresco. And, in order to provide live music, a stage will be added near the pool. For added entertainment, an LED screen and sound system will be integrated into the ship's superstructure, providing movies and video to The Retreat.

This $200-million phase in the Signature of Excellence commitment brings the latest innovations at sea to Holland America Line's Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Rotterdam. The first of the extensive dry dock periods begins with the Veendam in spring 2009 and the last will be completed on the Maasdam in early 2011. While in dry dock, ships will expand the aft deck to create The Retreat and a new bar concept called Mix that features separate

areas -- Martinis, Champagne and Spirits & Ales. Enhancements will be made to all existing staterooms and additional staterooms will be added to the ships.

The ships also will introduce 38 innovative lanai staterooms (39 on Rotterdam) with direct access to the Lower Promenade Deck. New spa staterooms near the Greenhouse Spa and Salon will offer special in-room spa amenities. Overall, Holland America Line has committed $525 million to its Signature of Excellence program that redefines premium cruising.

Lettienets, what I don't understand is why you are griping about the "Signature of Excellence" renovations now? HAL announced them last November, six months ago. The Veendam has just completed her drydock, and the Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam, and Rotterdam are scheduled to go in over the next two years. This is a massive corporate underataking, with drydock facilities, contractors, supplies, etc. all having to be lined up well in advance. Do you think this thread on an internet chat board is going to change HAL's corporate plans? Why not wait until you've experienced the renovations for yourself, and then come back and give us a first-hand critique (good, bad and ugly) of what you observed?

I did gripe way back a long time ago. This griping only came on because the new Mariners Magazine I just received in the mail this week features a picture and I was giving my opinion on it and that is all and it got a discussion going. No, I do not think my opinion will change anybody's mind but I have as much right to my opinion as everybody else here (except for a couple of people here who think I don't have a right to an opinion like they do). And waiting to give a first hand report will not matter to me. I have already said it will look pretty, have a nice bar, videos, etc etc but my gripe is the disappearance of a full depth pool. Everybody who is complaining about what I have to say forgets that. I am being polite, I am not hurting anybody.

What are you folks who got the Mariner's Magazine Griping about!?!?

Drat........ I've got a gripe too and that is that I didn't GET the Mariner's Magazine yet. Who of us is without a gripe??? :D

We all got one or two or twenty or more. :) :eek:

Archived