Latest copy of Mariner Magazine renderings of seaview pool area etc

lettienets

I agree for holiday and spring break cruises, your scenario is possible but again not 'carved in stone'. When we were on Eurodam in March, no children were permitted at aft pool...... these were spring break cruises. And I really want to add here that there were something like 300 kids on our first Eurodam cruise and they were great. We had NO issue with a single child/family. No vandalism, no screaming down hallways (that we heard), no problems. The few we had any interaction with were delightful.....and they did not disobey and use aft pool.

I'm not arguing that the kids will be rowdy. They will just be normal kids ... having fun, running around, etc. Never said they would be doing anything wrong ... but they would naturally create more crowding back there because there will be things to attract them/keep them back there.

Yes, I am sure kids were excluded from the aft pool on a cruise with over 300 kids. It's the cruises with lesser kids where that aft pool is not off-limits to them ... such as on my 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. There the sign merely stated that children under the age of 16 had to be supervised by an adult. They were certainly allowed to swim in that pool and, in fact, one did on a very frequent basis.

But this new "Retreat" concept is different. It's only a wading pool and a series of fountains. I can't imagine any reason why HAL would say children couldn't be back there. In fact, the area seems tailor made for them ... especially the younger ones too small to be in the regular pool. And with the movie screen, I just can't imagine that you won't get a lot of kids back there.

Now, yes, you are correct ... HAL doesn't get as many kids as other lines often do, but still you can get a decent number of them on school vacation periods and whatnot, and when you consider that many of them will be concentrated back there watching movies during the day and whatnot, I think you could find that even 20 kids will be a lot all in one place.

Like I said, I like the concept of the Retreat area, but to truly be a retreat it would have to be adults only, or at least a "quiet zone." I'm sorry, Sail, but I just don't see that. Take away the movie screen and then maybe I would agree with you. But as it is, I see it as a magnet for families and I don't care what cruise you are on ... what time of the year ... if it's a shorter cruise, you're going to get some families regardless of whether school is in session or not.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Guess what, Rita.......

Rev Neal just reported last night that at Mariner's Party, Hotel Manager advised the rest of the "S" class ships are NOT going to get the Retreat. They will keep their wonderful aft pools.

Now, in case I need something to worry about, I'll stress HAL might choose to sell the "S" ships. :eek: The best part about the dry dock changes was the assumption if they were spending so much money on them, they planned to keep them in the fleet. Let's hope that is still the case.

My guess on HAL's reassessment: costs beaucoup $$$$ to do these renovations and, while in drydock for an extensive period, the ships don't generate revenue $$$$. In this economy, HAL likely decided it prudent to delay indefinitely changes to the other 3 ships.

Scratch #7! Good for you seaview pool fans!

I also hope that those three "S" ships won't be put up for sale!

And, the economy being what it is, ya think anyone has the $$$ or the credit line to buy one or all of them?

My guess on HAL's reassessment: costs beaucoup $$$$ to do these renovations and, while in drydock for an extensive period, the ships don't generate revenue $$$$. In this economy, HAL likely decided it prudent to delay indefinitely changes to the other 3 ships.

But does this means that the other S and R class ships are not going to have any renovation? Or just not going to have the retreat?

But does this means that the other S and R class ships are not going to have any renovation? Or just not going to have the retreat?

Time will tell. If RevNeal's statements prove accurate, I would guess HAL will do shorter drydocks with less extensive renovations for these 3 ships.

I guess I posted a little hastily. Then I went back a page and read the report from Rev. Neal. Have to think, however, that as much as some would like to think that these postings have changed HAL's mind, I suspect that it is the economy. No one wants to spend much these days, including the travelers. Oh, well, and I was looking forward to the refitted Ryndam to take out of Tampa. If the two-week drydock for that ship was anything like the December, 2007, drydock for the Statendam, one can't expect much in the way of cosmetic changes.

You should have heard the screaming adults on the Grand Princess in Mar.09. It was just unreal...and I've heard plenty of noisy kids. Don't care to hear either one.

What was the occasion in March '09 that elicited such behavior??? And exactly how old were these "adults"? I agree: don't want either screaming children or screaming adults.

If not the economy, perhaps the finished, or soon-to-be-completed, product on the Veendam didn't live up to HAL's expectations as depicted in the drawings. Hence, the reversal for the final 3 shps.

If not the economy, perhaps the finished, or soon-to-be-completed, product on the Veendam didn't live up to HAL's expectations as depicted in the drawings. Hence, the reversal for the final 3 shps.
Yet they're going ahead on the Rotterdam still ... but maybe not exactly in the same form, as per RevNeal's report.

What was the occasion in March '09 that elicited such behavior??? And exactly how old were these "adults"? I agree: don't want either screaming children or screaming adults.

They were having a "contest" in the wave runner pool for ice cream. It's not free on Princess:). I think there was 4 people screaming at the top of their lungs. I would say these people were well into their sixties...so not exactly youngsters. Dirty looks did nothing to change their behavior. I was up in the Sactuary and it was not peaceful at that time. People have to realize that they are on a ship and not at home. So little respect is paid by a number of people. It all about them:(.

Yet they're going ahead on the Rotterdam still ... but maybe not exactly in the same form, as per RevNeal's report.

True ... perhaps the contract for the Rotterdam already has been signed and sealed and the cost to cancel it would be prohibitive. Making some changes to the original design may be more prudent than an outright cancel.

I haven't seen the schedule, but if Rotterdam is next in line for the renovations, chances are the fabrication of the new deck extentions and the purchase of materials for the onboard work may already be underway.

If that is the case, reversing that would be difficult and expensive.

It seems to me that, unless they are costing the company money, the passengers' affection, preference and outright love of the smaller ships will motivate HAL to keep them in the fleet for some time to come.

If, on the other hand, they are actually losing money on them, which I doubt, they might be tempted to sell them, but in this economy that might be difficult.

I, amoung many, would be vocally unhappy if they were to begin disposing of them.

Just my opinion, but I believe that it is being driven by the economy. It is not the best time to be spending unnecessary $$$, whether for your family or a corporation. My guess it that the thinking in Seattle goes something along the lines of:

We are committed to the first two, lets hold off on the other three and see what kind of reception we get on them, and then lets review the revenues after some sort of shake out/trial period. If they are a hit we can still do the other three later on.

Just a guess on my part.

Yeah, I am sure it has something to do with the economy, but the economy was already bad when they announced the plans for these renovations. The upgrades I am sure were driven by the want to add revenue generating spaces (cabins) to the older ships, but it takes times (probably years) to recoup the costs associated with the upgrades even with the additional cabins. Perhaps with the current economy and the relatively lower prices they can charge for cabins right now the amount of time to recoup the costs exceeded the planned remaining fleet life of these ships. Veendam and Rotterdam are the newest of the 5 and you would think have a longer planned service life remaining than the other three so it would make some sense to go forward with those upgrades.

Or... maybe somebody at HAL saw the finished pictures of the Veendam and said - that looks hideous, what have we done!

Our speculating is such fun :) but we most likely will not really now the reason for the change of heart.

I am happy the beautiful Maasdam will keep her pretty lines and now I continue to hope she (and her sisters) remain in the fleet for many years to come.

We have already booked 28 days on her for 2010. and have 21 days still to sail her in 2009. :) :)

I haven't seen the schedule, but if Rotterdam is next in line for the renovations, chances are the fabrication of the new deck extentions and the purchase of materials for the onboard work may already be underway.

If that is the case, reversing that would be difficult and expensive.

Yes, the Rotterdam is next ... 6 months from now, in mid-November. Maybe you're right - they're past the point where cancelling is a reasonable option.

from rev neal's current thread from alaska:

"news flash!

This comes from the ryndam's hotel manager, cees tesslaar, at the mariner luncheon today (thursday). The major refits of the ryndam, statendam, and maasdam, where the aft pool deck is to be raised and a wading pool installed, has been cancelled. The rotterdam will receive the refit in november per-plan (although there is still some question as to the nature of the pool portion of the refit ...they may just be raising the deck and adding a few verandahs and some aft verandahs).

As for the rest of the refit ... Plans are up in the air. Thay may still reconfigure the upper promenade midships recreational area into the new mix area, but it looks like they will not be installing the lani cabins on the lower promenade deck on the other 3 s-class ships. And, as a result, the ryndam's dry dock next feb has been reduced from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.

So, we have a little "good" news ... Perhaps the negative feedback with regard to the aft refit has been taken into account? Who knows? :)"

hallelujah !!!!!!!

We received our copy of Mariner yesterday. We have not actually sailed on HAL yet...but we are booked for 10/2010. So, inless they count up all our cruises with the cruiselines in their corporation...?!!

Lucky you!!

We have well over 500 days and haven't received one in over 2 years!!

And DH doesn't like to read the ones on the web site.

From Rev Neal's current thread from Alaska:

"NEWS FLASH!

This comes from the Ryndam's Hotel Manager, Cees Tesslaar, at the Mariner Luncheon today (Thursday). The major refits of the Ryndam, Statendam, and Maasdam, where the aft pool deck is to be raised and a wading pool installed, has been CANCELLED. The Rotterdam will receive the refit in November per-plan (although there is still some question as to the nature of the pool portion of the refit ...they may just be raising the deck and adding a few verandahs and some aft verandahs).

As for the rest of the refit ... plans are up in the air. Thay may still reconfigure the Upper Promenade midships recreational area into the new Mix area, but it looks like they will not be installing the Lani cabins on the Lower Promenade Deck on the other 3 S-class ships. And, as a result, the Ryndam's Dry Dock next Feb has been reduced from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.

So, we have a little "good" news ... perhaps the negative feedback with regard to the aft refit has been taken into account? Who knows? :)"

Thanks -- nothing was mentioned on our recent Westerdam cruise about what will be happening for the dry docks of the other ships.

Took me a while to get caught back up with this thread.

But I for one am thinking that economics is playing a part in what will be happening to the other 3 ships.

Does anyone know how much more had to be spent on all those renovations on the Veendam??

Hope much overcost was it??

Archived