Latest copy of Mariner Magazine renderings of seaview pool area etc

lettienets

Look, the retreat pool is a done deal on Veendam and will be a done deal on the other four designated ships by this time next year. Take a look at it, or at least listen to the folks who are/will be on those five ships in person and get their opinion(s). Richard in Panama is on Veendam as we speak. Seattle has made a decision, no doubt to attract younger families. Why? because they run a business and can't afford to keep playing 8-track recorders instead of Ipod Nano's!

Does anybody here know how much that former seaview pool was used for "swimming" on a daily basis, on every cruise? I sure don't. Was a survey conducted by HAL? Heck, if I know but me suspects, there was. The decision was made and us few, on Cruise Critic, aren't gonna make them reverse it. If you don't like the idea, well, don't book a cruise on those five ships. With my limited math skills and using fingers and toes, that leaves eight more dam ships to choose from, nine next year. If that doesn't do it, here's another no brainer.........see ya HAL, Hello Cunard!

OK, lemmie have it!:cool:

I agree 100%. I don't know why some people are so anxious to pass judgement on something that they haven't experienced. Like you say HAL has plenty of other ships. If none of those work...on to the next cruise line. I never expected I would like Princess so much but I like it as much if not more then HAL.

I don't think anyone cares about doing laps... I think it has more to do with the fact that people can immerse their whole body in the pool rather than just their feet and ankles in this new "kiddie" pool

If this is supposed to be a retreat area, why a wading pool to attract diapered kids (wait and see) and a tv screen with noise all day long. On other ships it is all day long CNN, sports, movies, etc

And to get 6 more cabins underneath at the expense of making many of the rest of the passengers mad!:mad:

I agree, Copper, that it's silly to make a judgment until I see it for myself or at least get lots of first hand reports..........

It is not silly if you already know you want a deep pool and not a wading pool.

With all due respect to the OP, I admire her clairvoyant ability to divine her entire future cruise experience based solely upon a six square inch artist's rendering. As the saying goes, there are lots of other ships in the sea!

Scott.

With all due respect to the OP, I admire her clairvoyant ability to divine her entire future cruise experience based solely upon a six square inch artist's rendering. As the saying goes, there are lots of other ships in the sea!

Scott.

Yes there are and I go on them too.

I just don't like to have the seaview pools diappear for wading pools. The Lido pool areas are already crowded and noisey. Now the seaview pool is gone and you get all day long videos to boot. Nothing back there will be as beautiful a retreat as the seaview pool.

And my opinion has noting to do with the rendering photo, it has to do with the pool being taken away. No matter what they put there I will miss the pool.

Does anyone know if Veendam's Retreat is complete and in use by guests yet? I've read the from aboard threads but have missed it if people are using the Retreat now.

My wife and I sailed on the Ryndam for 10 days in March 2008. Rarely were there any people in the AFT pool. While I did use it, my thoughts were that it seemed to be a waste of space. Give the new concept a chance. Its success or failure will be judged by whether or not more people use it. That will be the true measure.

Does anyone know if Veendam's Retreat is complete and in use by guests yet? I've read the from aboard threads but have missed it if people are using the Retreat now.

It was pretty close to being done in these photos - this is from the Veendam's first cruise post drydock.

veendam-retreat-almost-there.jpg?w=448&h=336

veendam-retreat-under-construction.jpg?w=448&h=336

veendam-slice-coming-soon.jpg?w=448&h=336

(With credit to Richard Detrich, source: http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/the-renewed-veendam/)

My wife and I sailed on the Ryndam for 10 days in March 2008. Rarely were there any people in the AFT pool. While I did use it, my thoughts were that it seemed to be a waste of space. Give the new concept a chance. Its success or failure will be judged by whether or not more people use it. That will be the true measure.

+1

Scott.

It was pretty close to being done in these photos - this is from the Veendam's first cruise post drydock.

veendam-retreat-almost-there.jpg?w=448&h=336

veendam-retreat-under-construction.jpg?w=448&h=336

(With credit to Richard Detrich, source: http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/the-renewed-veendam/)

I still can't figure out from these photos if one will be able to relax on a lounger in the sun and not have to get wet. Will loungers only be in the area of the 'fountain'? Seems there should be space for loungers on the sides but I can't figure that out.

'The beautiful seaview pool areas are so loved by HAL passengers.'

I agree it is a dumb idea to get rid of the seaview pool, we use that pool alot, the aft area is starting to look like a Disney ship which is pretty bad....!

As you say, maybe not enough discussion, but there are some practical benefits of the additions. I like that there are more verandah rooms,and the lanai rooms look much better than an ordinary outside room IMO.

The new wading area looks inviting too. It wasn't as though people were doing laps in the old pool. On the Ryndam last year, we rarely saw people in this area except when there was a party.

It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those coming off the Veendam!!!

:D:D:D

I'm with you on this. I have rarely seen much use of the aft deck pool on any of our four HAL cruises. OTOH, the Lido pool didn't appeal to to me either. Probably because I'm from Florida and don't need public pools - you think?

What appeals to you about the design change?

I like it all, save the video screen. I can only imagine the fights for the remote control, and the angry cruise critic posts that will spawn.

Seriously, I think it is a much smarter use of the space -- the pool proper was sorely under-utilized on any HAL cruise itin that I have been on, and the sky deck provides the same access for those ppl who wish to lay in the sun undisturbed.

Given that the capital spend for these improvements is 200$ million, I hardly think that Carnival Corp's board of directors would sign off on the spend without HAL's management team providing due diligence. FYI, Carnival's 2008 capital spend fleet-wide for refurbishment was $391 million across all twelve of their brands. (source: http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/14/140/140690/items/327185/24ED9A58-C229-4525-8EED-4C95B1468A16_Carnival%20Corp%202008%20AR.pdf)

Scott.

I still can't figure out from these photos if one will be able to relax on a lounger in the sun and not have to get wet. Will loungers only be in the area of the 'fountain'? Seems there should be space for loungers on the sides but I can't figure that out.

There is ...

See below -- I believe this is an uncropped version of the rendering that is featured in the Mariner periodical at pp14.

Scott.

1051959399_The_Retreat__Re-0066_297521.jpg.aee402fdc4ce030f770a891e9f54bea4.jpg

I like it all, save the video screen. I can only imagine the fights for the remote control, and the angry cruise critic posts that will spawn.

Seriously, I think it is a much smarter use of the space -- the pool proper was sorely under-utilized on any HAL cruise itin that I have been on, and the sky deck provides the same access for those ppl who wish to lay in the sun undisturbed.

Given that the capital spend for these improvements is 200$ million, I hardly think that Carnival Corp's board of directors would sign off on the spend without HAL's management team providing due diligence. FYI, Carnival's 2008 capital spend fleet-wide for refurbishment was $391 million across all twelve of their brands. (source: http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/14/140/140690/items/327185/24ED9A58-C229-4525-8EED-4C95B1468A16_Carnival%20Corp%202008%20AR.pdf)

Scott.

Hello Scott

I am sure it will look very pretty and be a nice sunbathing area. But for me, no pool:( The video will most likely be a problem for Hal guests but time will tell. They don't seem to like loud music now whether it be a band or piped in music. No matter what Hal does, changing the demographic will not be easy or happen as long as Hal has long wonderful unique itineraries which usually appeal to the oler people with the time and the money. And this back area is being called a "retreat" but a wading area without kids sounds like an impossibility and so much for a retreat, especially with videos. So if kids go there and wade around people will not be happy. Especially if they see diaper suits.

So I fail to see how this is an enhacement for all the money they are putting into it.

I can't wait to see the changes.

Last year when I went to Alaska the only time the Aft Pool area was used was when we left Seattle (because it was so warm out), during BBQs and Glacier Viewing. I never saw anyone in the pool, people did use the jacuzzis though.

I don't believe there's been any info put out by HAL as to how many hours a day that video screen will be turned on and 'blaring' music, etc.

Once again, maybe we should pose that question to folks who are currently onboard Veendam (or will be there in the near future) instead of assuming items not in evidence.

I don't believe there's been any info put out by HAL as to how many hours a day that video screen will be turned on and 'blaring' music, etc.

Once again, maybe we should pose that question to folks who are currently onboard Veendam (or will be there in the near future) instead of assuming items not in evidence.

Nah, working oneself into a complete lather on rampant speculation is so much more fun!!! :p

Scott.

Quite fetching, actually - "Now for my accordion solo, Myron, will you join me? A one and a two,"

Yikes! That reminds me of my first trip to the Panama Canal. There was a huge group from overseas. One lady brought her accordian with her and they had sing songs by the pool. I had a lot to drink on that cruise:D. That would be the day I would take up all my luggage allowance with that thing.

Archived