Boston on our own? Or book an excursion?

ChefPeg

Hello,

My family and I are cruising to New England / Canada in September. I was wondering if we can easily visit the sights in Boston on our own or should we book an excursion?

I also posted the same question of Portland too. We are wondering if we can see the sights without booking any ship's excursions for these two ports.

I believe we have to take the subway to get to city center...correct? There is a subway stop at the ship's terminal...correct?

So we can take the subway to the city center....yes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Hello,

The great thing about Boston is that you could literally see the entire city on foot.

Check out this link for info on the Freedom Trail. The trail has a red line painted on the sidewalk to keep you on track. It's 2.5 miles long, and will take you to a lot of historical landmarks throughout the city.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Be sure to spend some time in Faneuil Hall. A lot of great food in the middle building. Another favorite food stop for me is the North End. Especially Hanover and Salem Streets...located right next to Faneuil Hall. This area has some of the best Italian food in the country. For dessert, the torrone at Modern Pastry is amazing.

http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

The subway "the T", will take you to further points outside the city if you wish to visit such as the museums at Harvard University in Cambridge. Cambridge is another great part of town that has a lot of different kinds of food.

http://www.mbta.com/

Another cool thing to do is to visit the observatory at the top of the Prudential Center. Gives you a nice birds eye view of the city.

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/shop/shop_detail.php?id=64

And if you really want to be a true tourist, you need to take a duck boat tour where you get to "quack" at all the people on the street.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

I could go on and on but these recommendations should keep you busy for a while. :-)

Have fun in Boston, it's a great city.

Hello,

The great thing about Boston is that you could literally see the entire city on foot.

Check out this link for info on the Freedom Trail. The trail has a red line painted on the sidewalk to keep you on track. It's 2.5 miles long, and will take you to a lot of historical landmarks throughout the city.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Be sure to spend some time in Faneuil Hall. A lot of great food in the middle building. Another favorite food stop for me is the North End. Especially Hanover and Salem Streets...located right next to Faneuil Hall. This area has some of the best Italian food in the country. For dessert, the torrone at Modern Pastry is amazing.

http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

The subway "the T", will take you to further points outside the city if you wish to visit such as the museums at Harvard University in Cambridge. Cambridge is another great part of town that has a lot of different kinds of food.

http://www.mbta.com/

Another cool thing to do is to visit the observatory at the top of the Prudential Center. Gives you a nice birds eye view of the city.

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/shop/shop_detail.php?id=64

And if you really want to be a true tourist, you need to take a duck boat tour where you get to "quack" at all the people on the street.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

I could go on and on but these recommendations should keep you busy for a while. :-)

Have fun in Boston, it's a great city.

Why thank you very, very much!! Yes, this will keep me busy for a while. :)

We get lots of questions about the sightseeing trolleys and the duck tours, but as Justinh said, you can see the whole city on foot - on your own and without booking an excursion. The Silver Line has a stop near the Black Falcon terminal and will take you to South Station where you can transfer to the Red Line. From there you can go a stop or two and transfer to the Green or Orange line.

We get lots of questions about the sightseeing trolleys and the duck tours, but as Justinh said, you can see the whole city on foot - on your own and without booking an excursion. The Silver Line has a stop near the Black Falcon terminal and will take you to South Station where you can transfer to the Red Line. From there you can go a stop or two and transfer to the Green or Orange line.

My boyfriend and I (who live in GA) decided to take a spontaneous trip to Boston for Valentine's Day this year. You will LOVE the city. We flew up on V-Day and had no plans, and had never been there- and we had a fabulous time. We walked EVERYWHERE- everything was close. It's a beautiful city and we can't wait to go back! I fell in love with it...

Yes you can walk everywhere, but..... don't waste your time walking from the pier into downtown. Take the Silver Line. Come up with a general plan of what you want to see and plan it out. If you go over to Back Bay, you will also want to take the T.

OKAY, let me say as a Bostonian.. that Boston is a walkable city..and I would highly recommend as a first time tourist..b ooking on line the Duck Tour.. and when you get off whether in downtown Boston you can walk wherever you want.. if you take the one from Quincy Market.. you can still do the market and the North End..and be sure to to go Mikes Pastry for the best Italian pastry ever.. Yes, see if there is a shuttle from the Black Falcon pier out of the area.. Most tourists want to go to the original Cheers.. through the Public Garden.. Notice somebody mentioned the Modern for Italian pastry..lol.. oh yes.. we Bostonians have our favorite stores. I do highly recommend the original Duck Tour.. as a Bostonian I thought it was too touristy for me.. but when I took it was amazed at what I didn't know and how much fun it was. Book it ahead of time...which is the best advice I can give you..

The Duck tours are a great way to see the city but remember you don't have the option of stepping down along the way, it's just one trip around with no stops. If you are interested in seeing the city, getting a tour and being able to step out, I'd recommend one of the trolleys. The Old Town Trolley already stops 1/2 mile from the pier at the Westin Waterfront Hotel and according to their website will be stopping even closer to the pier on cruise ship port calls (http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/massport-cruise-ship-terminal.asp). You can use the trolley for your transportation to and from the pier, get a tour along the way and be able to step out to explore the city. BTW Mike's Pastry is good but I'd definately recommend Modern Pastry, on the same street (Hanover). It's just as good if not better, less crowded and I think even less expensive. Enjoy!

I agree with everyone, Modern Pastery is the best. That is where most Northend restaurants get their desserts. Mike's if the famouse one but it's not as good and has become the big tourist trap. another fun thing to do is a tour of Fenway Park. Tours go everyday up to 3 hours before a home game.

ChefPeg - I got the distinct impression from your post that you are traveling with multiple people and are looking for sightseeing alternatives in Boston that do not involve paying a lot of money for an "excursion".

One suggestion might be to take the "T" to Park St and check out the Boston Common. Then walk up Tremont St. on the Freedom Trail to State St and make a right towards Congess St. There is a Nat'l Park Headquarters there and the Old State House. Continue on down Congress St. to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. From here you can stay on the Freedom Trail over to the North End, or walk down to the Aquarium area at Long Wharf. There is a MBTA ferry at Long Wharf that will take you over to the Constitution and back. From Long Wharf you can walk back along the Harborview walk to either Northern Ave making a left to go to the Seaport Silver Line Stop or to South Station at Summer St.

As always in Boston you should have a plan B in case the weather is bad.

My boyfriend and I (who live in GA) decided to take a spontaneous trip to Boston for Valentine's Day this year. You will LOVE the city. We flew up on V-Day and had no plans, and had never been there- and we had a fabulous time. We walked EVERYWHERE- everything was close. It's a beautiful city and we can't wait to go back! I fell in love with it...

Hi GoingAway9---I am so pleased that you loved our city. Next time though, try to visit Cape Cod. You will fall in love again!:D

Thanks Justin (and everyone else) for all the wonderful information.

We too will be in Boston before our flight to San Juan from about noon until early the next day. Really want to do the freedom trail and we will probably have both lunch and dinner or just a early dinner .... don't want to spend all our money before we leave :rolleyes: We were planning on stopping at Faneuil Hall will check that out for dinner and/or Hanover and Salem Streets (any where in particular). Is Modern Pastry right there too?

Thanks for all the help ... I love planning and everyone has been great! Jan

Hello,

My family and I are cruising to New England / Canada in September. I was wondering if we can easily visit the sights in Boston on our own or should we book an excursion?

I also posted the same question of Portland too. We are wondering if we can see the sights without booking any ship's excursions for these two ports.

I believe we have to take the subway to get to city center...correct? There is a subway stop at the ship's terminal...correct?

So we can take the subway to the city center....yes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Hi, Peg! I'm so glad you started this thread. We got home from a cruise a few hours ago, so what am I doing? Researching for the next big one, Jewel from Boston in October, lol. You have gotten some great responses (THANKS, everyone!), and I will benefit from them, as well. :)

Hi, Peg! I'm so glad you started this thread. We got home from a cruise a few hours ago, so what am I doing? Researching for the next big one, Jewel from Boston in October, lol. You have gotten some great responses (THANKS, everyone!), and I will benefit from them, as well. :)

Hi there Sweetie!!

How are you??? And Jeff???

Yes, this thread has turned out to be a good one. Lots of great information here. That's the great thing about CC, lots of good people with lots of great information and willing to share.

Are you going to visit with our cute friend Dorothy? I must contact her and tell her I'm coming up her way.

Isn't funny how we come home from one great cruise and ready to plan the next? There is no end......thank goodness!!

Take care!!

Peggy

ChefPeg - I got the distinct impression from your post that you are traveling with multiple people and are looking for sightseeing alternatives in Boston that do not involve paying a lot of money for an "excursion".

One suggestion might be to take the "T" to Park St and check out the Boston Common. Then walk up Tremont St. on the Freedom Trail to State St and make a right towards Congess St. There is a Nat'l Park Headquarters there and the Old State House. Continue on down Congress St. to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. From here you can stay on the Freedom Trail over to the North End, or walk down to the Aquarium area at Long Wharf. There is a MBTA ferry at Long Wharf that will take you over to the Constitution and back. From Long Wharf you can walk back along the Harborview walk to either Northern Ave making a left to go to the Seaport Silver Line Stop or to South Station at Summer St.

As always in Boston you should have a plan B in case the weather is bad.

Hi!!

Yes, there are 6 of us cruising together. 4 adults and 2 children (14 & 10).

Thanks for the directions and suggestions. I appreciate it. I think the boys would enjoy the Freedom Trail a lot. I am going to print out this info, it looks like a good itinerary for us.

I agree with you, we should have a plan 'B'.

Have a great week!

And thanks again for your valuable informtion.

I agree with everyone, Modern Pastery is the best. That is where most Northend restaurants get their desserts. Mike's if the famouse one but it's not as good and has become the big tourist trap. another fun thing to do is a tour of Fenway Park. Tours go everyday up to 3 hours before a home game.

All this talk about Modern pasty......I know for sure I am stopping there for a goodie or two.:eek::)

Haha, didn't think my original Modern Pastry post would cause such a debate...I love it!

I do love Mike's pastry as well, but the wife would put in the dog house if I didn't bring home any Torrone from Modern Pastry if I happened to be in the area.

Someone asked where Modern pastry was located. It's at 257 Hanover St...not too far from Mikes (at 330 Hanover St). I know how terrible it would be to indulge in a bunch of sweets, but my recommendation would be to visit both and decide for yourself.

Do I dare recommend washing all the sweets down with a cup of cappuccino from Cafe Vittoria on 296 Hanover st, or will that start another war on the best cup of cappuccino in Boston? ;-)

We just came back from Boston today. We were on Hanover St. on Sat. evening. By my observation of the people carrying pastry boxes and the length of the line, Modern Pastry was the most popular.:D

Haha, didn't think my original Modern Pastry post would cause such a debate...I love it!

I do love Mike's pastry as well, but the wife would put in the dog house if I didn't bring home any Torrone from Modern Pastry if I happened to be in the area.

Someone asked where Modern pastry was located. It's at 257 Hanover St...not too far from Mikes (at 330 Hanover St). I know how terrible it would be to indulge in a bunch of sweets, but my recommendation would be to visit both and decide for yourself.

Do I dare recommend washing all the sweets down with a cup of cappuccino from Cafe Vittoria on 296 Hanover st, or will that start another war on the best cup of cappuccino in Boston? ;-)

We will be coming to Boston on the Jewel the first of October. Could you please let us know how to get to the Duck Tour from where the ship docks? There will be ten of us and some have trouble walking a long distance. This sounds like it would give us a good overview of Boston for our first visit. Your help is greatly appreciated!

The Duck tours leave from the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science. To get there you would take the Silver Line bus (SL2) at Black Falcon to South Station. Getting off the bus you would go to the right (back of the bus) to the end of the platform and up 1 flight by stairs or elevator to the Red Line direction Alewife. On the station platform go left towards the back of the train. To position yourself to go to the Museum of Science, you go all the way to the back of the train. For the Prudential, go almost to the back of the train.

You ride the red line two stops to Park St, where you will transfer to the green line trolley. To go to the Museum of Science you go up the stairs marked Lechmere and take any trolley that is marked Lechmere, getting off at the Science Park Stop, walking up to the Museum of Science from the T station. To get to Prudential you go up the other stairs (I forget exactly how they are marked) and take the "E" trolley to Prudential.

A cab from Black Falcon to Prudential would run about $15-20 and could probably take only 4 people. Once the tour is done, you are either at the Prudential or the Museum of Science and you have to make your way all the way back to the ship.

With a group of 10 seniors, some of whom have mobility issues, I might consider the trolley tour instead of the duck tour. Yes - it's neat to get in an old LST and drive around Boston and then go splash in the water and go around the Charles River a bit, but it's not that neat. You're already on a cruise and a short ride on the Charles is not all that impressive. The trolley tour can be picked up at South Station and will return you to South Station. It's hop on hop off, so your group can pick one or two places to do that. People can decide to do their own thing and can get back on their own to South Station for the Silver Line.

By the way, in terms of transportation accessiblity, the Silver Line is the best (it's only a couple of years old), next the Red Line, and last the Green Line. South Station is a great hub for a group - nice restrooms, lots of food, places to sit down, air conditioned, and lots of escalators and elevators.

Archived