Boston on our own? Or book an excursion?

ChefPeg

Glad all the info was helpful. We have an update on Old Town Trolley. They are swinging by to pick up cruise passengers when a ship is in port - stop 16a. You can board there and buy your ticket when you get to stop 1. That makes it really easy for folks to take the trolley and not have to pay for the "T" or a taxi on top of it.

Hi from an x bostonian,

I worked 1 block from the Boston Common and walked the city each lunchtime for about 4 years. If you stand on Tremont St. at the right side of the Common Looking up at the State House you will be approximatly where Revere stood to look over at the North End where the lanterns were hung. The church you are standing in front of is where America the beautiful was written. Thewalk starts about there anyways and just follow the painted red line one block to George Washington's church, than go downhill behind City Hall to Fanuel Hall and Quincy Market where you can eat yourself to death, before you cross over the new I90 and go into the North End (Little Italy) and eat yourself to death again. There are a number of pastry shops with Rum Bubba's, almond cookies, Neopolitans, Eclairs etc. Skip breakfast and come hungry. Next to Fanuel Hall is the ? restaurant that has been there since the 1700's serving clams and osters. Don't miss Durgin Park which is upstairs in the middle building serving 50 pounds of Boston Baked Beans everyday and Prime rims so big they hang over the side of your plate. The waitreses are something else, unlike any you have run into anywhere else.

David:)

Really good information and we'll print this out and take it with us.

Do know if there is a place to eat that serves the famous Ipswitch Little Neck Clams (fried)?

• 4 weeks later...

We will be staying at the Westin Copley for one night pre-cruise this Friday night and would like to eat at a seafood restaurant. We don't need fancy, but good and reasonably priced. Any suggestions? DavidPatrick, you do seem to know the area quite well. We don't mind a little walk, weather permitting, or a ride on the T.

Thanks! We will be there soon!

We will be staying at the Westin Copley for one night pre-cruise this Friday night and would like to eat at a seafood restaurant. We don't need fancy, but good and reasonably priced. quote]

That's in the Back Bay... The Westin has Turner Fishery & The Palm in the hotel (both are very good, but can get pricey)..

You're in the Copley / Prudential Center area once you're in the Westin, so you don't need to go outside if you don't want to. There are shops a'plenty right there. Within the mall area there is Legal Seafood, not too crazy for prices.

Outside, there is Jasper White's Summer Shack a block or two up the street from the Pru. On Boyleston Street & the next street over (Newbury St) there are good resturants, it's Boston, so all will offer seafood of some sort. If you're looking for HUGE portions, Vinny T's is across the street from the Pru, it's an Italian food joint, but they have killer mussels & darn good calamari (plus the awesome bread). Abe & Louies is close by too..

If you forgot anything, there is a Shaw's Supermarket (might be open 24 hours) and a couple CVS stores within walking distance

Turner Fishery is awesome, but it on the fancy side, we took our daughter and roomate there for graduation celebration. (It is that kind of place). There is a Legal Seafood in the Pru Center. It is a chain, but it is more moderate and it has a good reputation.

• 5 months later...

OK, I found this old thread and would like to know what the difference is between the City View Trolley Tours and the Old Town Trolley Tours. Also any fresh ideas on which tour we would be able to see more of Boston...the Trolley tours or Duck tours? We also enjoy doing the not so touristy things, if anyone has any suggestions.

OK, I found this old thread and would like to know what the difference is between the City View Trolley Tours and the Old Town Trolley Tours. Also any fresh ideas on which tour we would be able to see more of Boston...the Trolley tours or Duck tours? We also enjoy doing the not so touristy things, if anyone has any suggestions.

The Cityview trolley does a smaller loop that does not go by The Cheers Bar, Copley Square, Trinity Church, Back Bay, Fenway Park or Cambridge. It also does not go anywhere near the cruise ship terminal. Whereas Old Town Trolley does all of those things and has the largest fleet of trolleys in the city which equals less waiting time.

The biggest difference between a duck tour and a trolley (other than the fact that the duck goes into the water) is that the trolley has unlimited reboarding privileges whereas the duck is one time around. So, you definitely experience more of the city on the trolley.

Hope this helps.

Glad all the info was helpful. We have an update on Old Town Trolley. They are swinging by to pick up cruise passengers when a ship is in port - stop 16a. You can board there and buy your ticket when you get to stop 1. That makes it really easy for folks to take the trolley and not have to pay for the "T" or a taxi on top of it.

Thanks for the help:) Seeing Boston this way sounds terrific.

So, just disembark and go to 16A? I need to look at the map again;)

Lois - Hope you have a great time in Boston .... I could so live there! I think our next cruise (after this fall) will be from Boston to Bermuda ... never been there. Jan

Hi Jan, good to see you:). I was in Boston once but that was close

to 10 years ago. And Newport is on my itinerary too and I have never

been there before. It will be alot of fun seeing these places:D

and they really have some wonderful set ups for folks who want to

to see things "on their own":)

I had friends who lived in New Hampshire at one time and I went to visit

them. The train from there into Boston was just over an hour (if memory

serves). So we went in for the day. I do remember the North End

which has all those wonderful Italian restaurants:D and Quincy Market

was great!

My trips always seem to end up around food....hmmm....

Archived