Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

For those looking at inflatable coolers, I found one today on ebay that is cheap and free shipping (if you don't mind it being a beer mug).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inflatable-Beer-Mug-Cooler-Ice-Chest-Cold-Drinks-Soda-Water-BBQ-Beach-Party-/390440041671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae80a3cc7

Way too funny......... thanks for the post.

geeeez... half the things on this list are totaly not needed.. really.. i so dont get the over the door shoe thing BTW.. do you use this at home too?? then why would you need it on a ship??? i would need a whole extra suit case to bring all that crap w me to never use! and really.. duct tape??? uhh grap a piece of tape from the front desk...

sry but i made my own list w only things you would actualy need/use.

For example' date=' iPod speakers ... we've been next to people with speakers & it's annoying, plus many ships have all music channels now on the televisions. Never needed duct tape or a shoe organizer or a spray bottle.[/quote']

I bring my iPod speakers but I would never bring them on to deck. That's rude IMO. I know not everyone wants to listen to my music. If I want my music on deck I have headphones for that. I like to listen to my music while I'm changing, showering, etc in my cabin. It doesn't leave the cabin until my luggage is collected the last night of the cruise.

As for duct tape - it's one of those "just in case" items that you hope you don't need. One of my suitcases has a zip out bottle holder and guess what - the zipper broke and it wouldn't stay shut. Duct tape to the rescue.

The thing is there is no such thing as the "ultimate" or "best" packing list because everyone is different. I bring a folding jewelry tray to keep track of smaller things in my "cubby" but I know that's not something everyone would use.

My best advice would be to look at this list and the "I wish I knew" thread and really think about how you personally live and go from there. I cannot tell you how much stuff I took on my first cruise that was on someone's list that I never touched. Post-its, magnetic clips, drink mix, etc never saw the outside of my "cubby".

Edited by Eris0303

For the portable coolers, this is the time to buy due to summer close outs. I bought a folded cooler, once folded it is not even bigger than a shirt. It's insulated and zips on top. It won't hold much, but we just want 4-5 cold drinks for the next day for excursion and then put new drinks in it while we are on shore. You get the idea. I paid about the same price (as the beer mug) and I can reuse at home. Just a thought.

I love the beer mug though! ;)

Molly

I can and do bring these:

Ø Zip-lock bags – I always keep a half dozen assorted sizes in my suitcase

Ø Bathroom Spray – Yankee Candle sells this in a little pump that it about the size of a mascara and slips easily into the 3-1-1 bag

Ø Prescriptions and Medicine – I bring Immodium, three days worth of DayQuil/NyQuil caps (one "sheet" from the split box), Advil, Zantac, a couple of Neosporin packets, a few Band Aids and of course prescription meds

Ø Cell Phone charger

Ø Camera Battery charger

Ø Extra Camera Memory Card - I bring a fresh one for each day plus I always have a couple of spares.

Ø Binoculars – Sometimes

Ø Sports Bottle – I ditched plastic a couple of years ago and only use my refillable aluminum bottle for water

I would also ADD:

A travel packet of baby wipes and a travel packet of Kleenex or TP

The rest of that list--No way! Most of that stuff you can either get on board, the rest you can buy in a port if need be, and a few things are just not needed. Now I know why there are virtual MOUNTAINS of luggage coming on to cruise ships, and I'll bet half of it never gets used.

I think the newbies are smart enough to know that everything is not a requirement. LOL When I need something I have it. I am perfectly fine with taking everything I list.

We like our own music that we record prior to the cruise in our cabins. We play our music during our cocktail parties and we had an incident on the last cruise were the hem came out of my girlfriends skirt.... duct tape was needed, prior to that another person's handle broke on their luggage and we were able to help.

So thank you, to each his own... We like bringing our own water because we bring flavored packets.

You sound like lots of fun.. Hmmm... why am I justifying..

Sorry you did not like the list...makes me wonder why you bothered going into this thread. Again.. LOL...

I love your list and really appreciate it! We are going on our 2nd cruise to Hawaii in another month, and knowledge of this stuff is priceless!

geeeez... half the things on this list are totaly not needed.. really.. i so dont get the over the door shoe thing BTW.. do you use this at home too?? then why would you need it on a ship??? i would need a whole extra suit case to bring all that crap w me to never use! and really.. duct tape??? uhh grap a piece of tape from the front desk...

sry but i made my own list w only things you would actualy need/use.

I think "the list" serves as a starting point....not all the things mentioned will be to everyone's liking or necessity but it serves as a guide to newbies! :)

As a newbie, I have read through every one of the packing list suggestions and there are a number of items that I've thought "great idea" and others that I've thought "not for me". My feeling is that if I already bring it for regular travel (always have my own shampoo & conditioner) then I'll bring it on board, if not, I won't! So yes it is very helpful to read what and why people bring the things that they do even though I probably won't do the same. :)

I have read through everything and there are some great ideas...but I am such a notorious overpacker:rolleyes:that my new rule is to pack what i think I'm to going need...and then take out 2/3 of it before i actually leave.

Wish me luck!:cool:

:o

Edited by Travelnerd44

Okay, in september I will go on my first cruise.

Now why is everybody speaking about a cooler, that a boy fills twice a day with ice in your room?

Isn't there a fridge in your cabin? Like in hotelrooms?

I go with costa cruises..

I have traveled the world extensively and have a master list that I adapt but I was amazed to read through this and see people still 'attacking' the OP/list, not nice. (I bet you any money though you folks found something on that list that you thought yeah I might need to take that). It is just a guide.

We are lucky we get to drive to any of the FL ports so have no luggage limitations but the things on my list which are a few don't take up that much room anyway.

Must have been the many years service in the military that makes us prepared for things, as it is better to have something and not use it than need something and wish you had brought it. Many a time I have had people ask have you got x, y or z with you and I usually do have what is being asked for.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Newbie here & I really like the list, it gave me several ideas AND some don’t forget me items. Here is an idea, not sure if this has been posted: I am packing things in several small containers. As I use them I just throw out the container, giving me more room to go home with. Instead of packing the big shampoo and toothpaste. I really like the over the door shoe org. We will have 4 people in the room and if I can prevent just one “Mom where’s the ……..” or “Honey have you seen…….”, then I am all for it! No we don’t use this at home, but we have org, drawers & containers to keep our stuff in.

Just in case we have two rooms. I took some strong wide ribbon. Placed Velcro on one side and used small plastic Ziplocs bags with the other side of the Velcro. In the small plastic bags will put whatever bathroom items I am taking. Take them out the suite case and just place them on the ribbon. Of course I will take extra bags incase they rip or just need extra bags. You can attach the ribbon to what ever you like – a hanger, hooks…… I made this as a back up incase we decided to get two rooms. If anything I could use to collect mementos to put in a scrapbook. OR… I don’t have to use it at all.

Can’t wait to go!

One thing I'm really glad I took this time was some business cards that had just my name and my yahoo email address on it. Gave them out to a bunch of new friends and one of the waiters that wanted to keep in touch.

I always take along the over-the-door shoe holder. i'm always in a smaller cabin and there's never enough space for all the piddly little things I like taking along (recharging cords, jewelry, etc), so this works out great.

This past trip I took along an empty spray bottle, and filled it with water when I got on the ship. It works GREAT on getting rid of wrinkles in my clothes. I simply spray the water on the clothes and then smooth them out with my hand. I got the spray bottle at the dollar store and at the end of the cruise pitched it out, so I'd have space in my suitcase for the souvenirs I bought on the trip.

I took two sizes of post-its on the last cruise. The regular size works great for leaving messages for others. And the small skinny strips worked well for marking specific pages in the travel books I had with me so I could find info quickly when I was in the ports.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am sorry to say that most of the stuff on these lists you will never use and/or might use once.. A scale packed in your luggage?? Come on..

We have been on 3 cruises so far and will be on our 4th later this year.. We took a great many of the items on these lists for our first cruise and never used any of them, did not need to.. Don't get me wrong, there are some good suggestions here as well.. Just think before you pack..

Now for my travel tip.. As you know, you can't bring beer on board as they will take it from you.. Here is a little trick to get 10 cans of beer on board and have THEM deliver it to your cabin.. Take one of those 12 pack soda boxes and very carefully open the end.. Remove the soda.. Put 10 of the beer of your choice back into the box and just put 2 cans of the soda where they can be seen through the handle holes.. Use a glue gun to reseal the box and you are set.. They look and see soda...

You can also put clear booze into water bottles as well.. Vodka, gin and some rums. The cruise lines are getting wiser to the "rum runners" and are starting to look for them..

Never heard of this one... we aren't drinkers but know alot of other cruiser who are... thanks for the great tip... can one take those soda cubes (24 packs) on board? You could fill that up with beer (open from the bottom and re seal).....

Mary

I am going on my first cruise next year.

I am loving all the packing suggestions. I must admit most seem a bit over extensive but I have been making notes and jotting down some ideas I have got. I have to say I am seriously considering the over the door shoe/cosmetic storage thing, at first I thought what is the point but when I actually made a list of what I would likely have out on counters etc. I realised that it would definitely save me a lot of space. I also have a toiletries bag which hangs up too.

All these are great ideas. Using them or not is a personal choice. With 70 plus cruises we have used many of the tips. For local ports we pack heavy and tight so we do our own roll off. Packing some of the extra items is a boon to our more type "B" friends who borrow stuff, all part of the fun. Flying with it's weight limit is becoming our worst pain and packing for the flights is maddening. We learned to pack light but for a 21 day cruise, formals, etc. plus flight and hotels is a challenge. The small scale does help and saves you standing like a refugee pulling your bags apart at the weigh-in scale to redistribute stuff. Beating the system by smuggling booze is interesting. Having witnessed the line of cheaters wasting time lined up to redeem their bags on the first night would be enough to discourage me. I asked one guy what he was smuggling and he said he had 2 quarts of mouth wash and they caught on, go figure.

Edited by hankmary

I am sorry to say that most of the stuff on these lists you will never use and/or might use once.. A scale packed in your luggage?

Sure, I take one with me. It's not like anyone is packing a huge bathroom scale (if you are get ye'self to ebags.com). A small luggage scale is good to have if you're flying and plan on shopping. It helps avoid any unpleasant surprises when you get to the airport and your bags are weighed. If it'll save me an overweight fee then I'll pack the scale.

Our scale paid off more than once. 30 years in the Army, 11 overseas taught me to love load lists. We have an elaborate list covering just about every contingence. Time for a trip just pull it up on the PC, save only the pertinent items and print. Easy to check off what we need and then cross off items as they are actually loaded or accomplished. No more worry about the cord for the razor or the phone charger. No second thoughts about the shoes to match the gown, it feels great to a type “A” and it is amusing to the type “B” folks in the family. Our neighbors have experienced burst pipes $$$$ even with flow regulators. So we shut off the water at the house. We also email our neighbors that we will be gone and that no one should be in or around the house. A select group plus family gets our itinerary. Our luggage tags give the phone number of a friend who has our itinerary. If a bag gets lost the finder gets our friend who tells them what to do and not a voice mail at our house since we are not at home. Our wills, living wills, important documents, etc. are in a safe with access to family members. Our bank accounts have a “point of death” document allowing our son to empty the account with the proper documents. Over kill? The folks on that sunken cruise ship might disagree. Sadly I have made my share of death notifications and seeing families in total disarray with not even the travel itinerary of loved ones much less their last wishes for care or burial, just adds to the pain. National News just did a piece about the "Conversation." Assuring everyone knows your LAST wishes before it is too late. Just a thought. Using "Drop Box" we have a Word document with our entire medical history, drugs, etc. on our IPhone. Big help to any Doctor The IPhone is great. Take pictures of your car exterior with date stamp when you park at pier, of the parking space location and your bags. We use a wheel lock on the steering wheel and clean out the interior. Might deter the idiots out there. Love cruising, leaving out of Boston Sunday!

Edited by hankmary