pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

Passengers and crew tested positive for the H1N1 virus after nine days at sea on the 11-deck vessel. Most patients had a “mild illness” and were diagnosed after the ship docked in Sydney on May 25. Pacific Dawn will now reach Brisbane, Quensland’s capital, tomorrow after three new cases were reported, the state’s health department said yesterday.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aU5qMhT78.lU&refer=australia

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=aU5qMhT78.lU&refer=australia][/url]

Flu outbreak: P&O apologises for cancelling Pacific Dawn cruise

P&O's Pacific Dawn is instead heading towards Brisbane.

Nine passengers and three crew members have tested positive to swine flu.

Ann Sherry, the chief executive of Carnival Australia, which operates P&O Cruises, has apologised to passengers for the cancellation of the Great Barrier Reef cruise.

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/flu-outbreak-po-apologises-for-cancelling-pacific-dawn-cruise-20090529-bpim.html

Flu outbreak: P&O apologises for cancelling Pacific Dawn cruise

P&O's Pacific Dawn is instead heading towards Brisbane.

Nine passengers and three crew members have tested positive to swine flu.

Ann Sherry, the chief executive of Carnival Australia, which operates P&O Cruises, has apologised to passengers for the cancellation of the Great Barrier Reef cruise.

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/flu-outbreak-po-apologises-for-cancelling-pacific-dawn-cruise-20090529-bpim.html

After reading that article, I have the impression that there are still only the three infected crew members on the ship at the moment, and that the nine passengers referred to are from the previous cruise. Has anyone heard if any passengers on the current cruise has the illness?

Evon.

After reading that article, I have the impression that there are still only the three infected crew members on the ship at the moment, and that the nine passengers referred to are from the previous cruise. Has anyone heard if any passengers on the current cruise has the illness?

Evon.

yes i was thinking the same way about that too,

who know the media and and any one who rights news or anything when there info get second third or foorth hand some how things happens to it.

this is very interesting

A SINGLETON man on board the cruise ship Pacific Dawn, which is carrying three crew members who have swine flu, said his family was making the best of a bad situation

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/family-dream-sinking-fast-on-flu-ship/1526410.aspx

Evon.

Because we are being bombarded by links we are getting too many conflicting reports ...:confused::mad:.....and why do we need the WATodays opinion.....grrrr.....we have had just about every media outlet in the worlds reporting thanks to Thied:rolleyes:...... and a lot written is just media hype and a load of hogwash hearsay .......now i have that off my chest..........

Evon on the P.O website in the media section as of last night it states no pax have the EF.........some good news just reported by the Brisbane Times is the Portside shops will be open for the arrival of the Pacific Dawn....well done Portside............shiona

Strict measures continue on Pacific Dawn

Date: 29 May 2009

P&O Cruises is continuing to implement an extremely conservative approach to identifying and managing any passengers or crew experiencing flu-like symptoms prior to Pacific Dawn’s arrival in Brisbane tomorrow morning.

This situation is changing and clearly outside of our control, however, we are very sympathetic to our passengers who have not received the holiday they had hoped for," she said.

"As a gesture of goodwill we will offer each passenger a 75% reimbursement of the cruise fare paid and an additional 25% that could be used as credit on a future cruise. This is in addition to the $100 onboard credit they have already received"

I have just had a phonecall from a friend who spoke to a truckdriver today who has said PDawn isnt docking at Portside, but somewhere else?????

Can anyone confirm this????:confused:

what may true and thats why port is alowed to be open tomorrow and the pacific dawn will most likely go to the grain wharf to stop the public getting any where nere her, in saying that this not a P&O bash and just 2 poeples thoughts have to what and see :D i have checked my sources and this could be true/./././

Evon.

There were 4 samples taken off the ship in Gladstone - 3 crew & 1 passenger. The 3 crew tested positive to swine flu, the passenger tested negative.

It has been announced that the Pacific Dawn will dock at Portside and only passengers who are leaving the cruise will be allowed to disembark. About 100 passengers will be disembarking. :)

Evon.

It has been announced that the Pacific Dawn will dock at Portside and only passengers who are leaving the cruise will be allowed to disembark. About 100 passengers will be disembarking. :)

Evon.

Where have you heard or read that, Evon? It's just that I know someone who lives in Brizzy who's parents are on it and she hasn't heard anything. She'd planned on spending the day with them (obviously)

Where have you heard or read that, Evon? It's just that I know someone who lives in Brizzy who's parents are on it and she hasn't heard anything. She'd planned on spending the day with them (obviously)

Hi Karen,

It was on the Channel 9 News. If your friend's parents are staying on the ship she will not be able to see them. Disembarking passengers are to go into voluntary quarantine for seven days.

Personally, I think this is an over-reaction of none of the passengers test positive to the virus, but I suppose the authorities now want to bend over backwards to contain it.

Evon.

Hi Karen,

It was on the Channel 9 News. If your friend's parents are staying on the ship she will not be able to see them. Disembarking passengers are to go into voluntary quarantine for seven days.

Personally, I think this is an over-reaction of none of the passengers test positive to the virus, but I suppose the authorities now want to bend over backwards to contain it.

Evon.

Thanks, Evon. That's a bummer!!

The flu is passed on through the air and contact so, given that signs don't show for up to 7 days and they have been in the same area as others infected, the only responsible thing to do is go into quarantine.

It doesn't matter whether the only ones that have shown up so far on this cruise are crew; the flu doesn't discriminate, and it's not sufficient to show that everyone is infection free.

very short stay for pacific dawn tomorrow as Dr Jeanette Young intimated

there is a roomer the the dawn arrive at Portside at 9.45am and depart at 1.30pm. unconfermed at this stage

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/news/mediareleases.asp

Preparations in place for Pacific Dawn arrival (PDF 42kB)

The flu is passed on through the air and contact so, given that signs don't show for up to 7 days and they have been in the same area as others infected, the only responsible thing to do is go into quarantine.

It doesn't matter whether the only ones that have shown up so far on this cruise are crew; the flu doesn't discriminate, and it's not sufficient to show that everyone is infection free.

Flu is passed on by droplets caused from sneezing or coughing. Germs on an infected person's hands could be left on handrails and door handles. I don't believe that the bug can survive long term in the ship if no-one on board is infected. I don't believe it can be passed via the air conditioning system. The only flu-like illness I know of that can be passed that way is Legionnaires Disease (a form of pneumonia) that thrives in airconditioning units. If flu could be passed on via the airconditioning, everyone would catch it every winter as soon as they went into a shop or city building. :D:D

I am sure there has been constant cleaning within the ship and that there will be a major disinfection process when the passengers have disembarked prior to the next cruise.

Evon.

Flu is passed on by droplets caused from sneezing or coughing. Germs on an infected person's hands could be left on handrails and door handles. I don't believe that the bug can survive long term in the ship if no-one on board is infected. I don't believe it can be passed via the air conditioning system. The only flu-like illness I know of that can be passed that way is Legionnaires Disease (a form of pneumonia) that thrives in airconditioning units. If flu could be passed on via the airconditioning, everyone would catch it every winter as soon as they went into a shop or city building. :D:D

I am sure there has been constant cleaning within the ship and that there will be a major disinfection process when the passengers have disembarked prior to the next cruise.

Evon.

Evon.

yes i think that P&O and may be all the cruises will be doing major disinfection process, to try and stop the spred of any flu thats around.

Flu is passed on by droplets caused from sneezing or coughing. Germs on an infected person's hands could be left on handrails and door handles.

Agreed (which is what I wrote - through air and contact), and those are only some examples. Lift buttons, tables, glasses are some of the many other objects that get frequently touched by different people.

I'm not sure why you referred to air conditioning so much, but the means above in an uncontrolled environment provide ample means for it to spread, as it did on the first cruise.

Given they let passengers off the arriving cruise without controls and didn't remove exposed crew, the opportunity for significant transfer exists between remaining crew and other exposed surfaces to the boarding passengers.

I don't see why - as you've mentioned previously, you say that they weren't aware of swine flu at the time that the ship left port, let alone when the first passengers were leaving the ship that morning. I don't see why they would have done a major disinfectant exercise when as you say they weren't aware, and it's just not possible to clean every single surface of the ship (walls, rails, cabins, corridors, tables, furniture, lifts, stairwells and so on) in the space of a few hours between passengers getting off and the next set getting on.

Archived