pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

Of this swine flu maybe a biological weapon - granted that it has a lot of people scared' date='and just maybe there is a higher power at work(ie secret government organisations) Call it a wild accusation,but never leave any stone unturned, I for one don't trust governments and the secrets that are kept from the general population.

Food for thought.[/quote']

Wow. That's a really wild theory. It rates with some other wild conspiracy theories of the past including the one that the moon landing was faked. :D

Evon.

I am a pediatric nurse, and it does drive me nuts when people refuse the yearly flu vaccine, both for themselves as well as their children. ...

I agree that the media hype surrounding the H1N1 influenza has gotten out of control. There are 36,000 deaths in the U.S. alone each year from seasonal flu. I feel for those who have lost loved ones from this recent flu, but it's actually very mild when compared to seasonal influenza.

It's hard to reconcile your view to getting flu shots with your view that this is mild.

This actually has a significant potential to be serious, and that's the reason for the high WHO rating, and why the government and relevant operators need to seriously address situations.

It's not the damage it's done so far but what might eventuate. Nothing is certain in future, but you should base your actions on what can happen, not what has happened. Once the damage is done, it's done, and it's best to prepare appropriately... the same way you advocate annual flu shots.

Right now the biggest issue is that it is a new virus with no vaccine and very limited natural immunity. With the seasonal flu some people have natural immunity as well as a fair number having flu vaccines. The number of infections exponentially decreases as more people are immune/vaccinated. While the disease itself is no worse than a regular flu more people are susceptible to it, it can spread far more. If a reasonable number of people are vaccinated against something, then person A doesn't get it, so people B C and D don't get it from A even though they may not be vaccinated themselves, and so these 3 people don't spread it further either. Partial vaccination delays disease spread. Swine flu doesn't have this, hence almost everyone can potentially get it. The small proportion of people who may die from it can become a significant number as it breaks containment.

This strain is unstable: The common flu varies, but doesn't change much. Swine flu is classed as 'very unstable', making it very easy for it to 'mix and swap' genetic material with other viruses. The spanish flu started in the same way, as an outbreak of a mild flu. In fact, it was only when it returned the next season that the large number of deaths occurred. Consider the parallels now. Another unstable flu is the bird flu. Right now bird flu isn't transmitted human-human, but is currently classed as an 'endemic' in Asia. It's entirely possible for a Swine and Bird flu to mix, where we could see a new flu with human to human transimission with the higher death rate of bird flu.

In a nutshell, goverments and others need to keep on top of it, but there's no need for panic. There is potential for it to become very serious, but at the moment it's only 'potential'. However, bad decisions (as occurred with Pacific Dawn) increase the risk of it becoming more serious.

Hi Guys, Just letting you know I have just seen my Dr as I have Bronchitis (not flu). He said the swine flu will be around for about 12 months, and 1 in 5 will contact it.

None the less he also said that the chances of death is less prevalent in the older generation than the under 18yrs who have not been exposed to various flu strains. But still very unlikely to cause death in healthy children.:)

The major operation in all this is to stop it mutating with the other avian flu's as that is where we can hit trouble, so that is what they are trying to avoid now.

Sorry I don't know how this will affect our future cruises this year. Just have to trust the Lord.

Squibs

There is a vidieo you can watch as well

THREE crew on the Pacific Dawn have tested positive for swine flu and the ship has been ordered to remain at sea, making many passengers "agitated".

Premier Anna Bligh revealed today that tests of the three crew members had been positive for swine flu, taking the total number of confirmed infections across Australia to 103.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25548228-952,00.html

Paul Harragon and family in flu ship quarantine

NEWCASTLE Knights director and former captain Paul Harragon and his family are among 2000 cruise ship passengers isolated aboard the luxury liner Pacific Dawn off the coast of Queensland while three of its crew members are tested for swine flu.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/paul-harragon-and-family-in-flu-ship-quarantine/1525053.aspx

not good,

i hope the cruise is not quarantined that would be a cruise from hell...lets just hope it will get better for them..hope its all over before my cruise...

matt

from what i have been reading yes the pacific dawn in quarantined

There was a report on ABC radio this afternoon that the Pacific Dawn cruise will be cut short. The ship will call into Brisbane on Saturday and return to Sydney a couple of days later. I think there will be significant compensation to passengers on the current Pacific Dawn cruise. :)

Taking into account that the ship will have been 'quarantined' for a week when she returns to Sydney, by the time the next cruise departs, they should know who has swine flu. It's a pity that the current cruise is 'ruined', but let's hope that the situation is fixed before the 28 night Tahiti cruise sets off.

Evon.

There was a report on ABC radio this afternoon that the Pacific Dawn cruise will be cut short. The ship will call into Brisbane on Monday and return to Sydney a couple of days later. I think there will be significant compensation to passengers on the current Pacific Dawn cruise. :)

Taking into account that the ship will have been 'quarantined' for a week when she returns to Sydney, by the time the next cruise departs, they should know who has swine flu. It's a pity that the current cruise is 'ruined', but let's hope that the situation is fixed before the 28 night Tahiti cruise sets off.

Evon.

evon did you read the statement from P&O, see what you think ?

evon did you read the statement from P&O, see what you think ?

Thank you. I have read it now. I believe that P & O are doing everything to follow Health Dept regulations and to safeguard the health of the passengers and crew.:) I really think we should be congratulating them for the measures they are taking. Sorry if some people don't agree with my opinion.

Evon.

feel sorry for all the pasengers on board getting there dream holiday cut short.

I hope they get something good out of it.

also Theid if possible since you seem to get alot of info can i please have your email addy or msn u can say no?

im wondering about this yellow flag i have looked every where about it I have two conflicking reports on what a yellow flag means on a ship. i did now the the pacific dawn was going into gladstone. im not knoking P&O just asking the ?

When your ship approaches a foreign port, a square yellow flag on the foremast "sends a signal to harbor authorities... to get ready to come aboard and do their immigration thing,"

hope that helps.

When your ship approaches a foreign port, a square yellow flag on the foremast "sends a signal to harbor authorities... to get ready to come aboard and do their immigration thing,"

hope that helps.

Thanks Drelix. That is interesting. Friends who were on the Cherry Blossom cruise on the Dawn Princess told me that the ship "had the yellow quarantine flag flying as they entered every port". I thought it unlikely, but didn't know the real story. Your explanation seems very logical.

Evon.

Yellow Flag

I agree with Thied, when you google "yellow flag on a ship" there are several different answers and different meanings for various countries around the world. We can each only assue why the yellow flag was raised on the Pacific Dawn.

Alan

WHere does it say that the current cruise will be cut short?

“The ship will no longer visit any North Queensland ports because there are unique concerns about the risks of quarantinable diseases in that region. Instead it will visit Brisbane on Saturday and return to Sydney on Monday, three days ahead of schedule.”

Was quoted in http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/no-passengers-onboard-pacific-dawn-have-swine-flu.cfm

thanks for that. Have friends on board, hope they get compensated with another cruise.

Wonders what will happen when they get back to sydney, will they be allowed off? Flights and accommodation will need to be worked out / changed.

Archived