pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

Agreed (which is what I wrote - through air and contact), and those are only some examples. Lift buttons, tables, glasses are some of the many other objects that get frequently touched by different people.

I'm not sure why you referred to air conditioning so much, but the means above in an uncontrolled environment provide ample means for it to spread, as it did on the first cruise.

Given they let passengers off the arriving cruise without controls and didn't remove exposed crew, the opportunity for significant transfer exists between remaining crew and other exposed surfaces to the boarding passengers.

I don't see why - as you've mentioned previously, you say that they weren't aware of swine flu at the time that the ship left port, let alone when the first passengers were leaving the ship that morning. I don't see why they would have done a major disinfectant exercise when as you say they weren't aware, and it's just not possible to clean every single surface of the ship (walls, rails, cabins, corridors, tables, furniture, lifts, stairwells and so on) in the space of a few hours between passengers getting off and the next set getting on.

I mentined air con because that is one area that people often mention.

They probably did a normal cleaning job when the ship was in Sydney because they didn't know that were dealing with swine flu. I agree that it is not possible to disinfect all surfaces in the space of a few hours, particularly because at that time a lot of the crew are busy moving luggage and doing other jobs involved with turn-around.

Someone currently on the PD has told a friend that the ship's crew are constantly cleaning/disinfecting at the moment - even more than usual. If the virus is not carried by any passengers, I believe it is possible to disinfect every surface that could have been touched. They have had several days already and have several more before the next cruise departs.

The suggestion has been paid that the PD should not have sailed from Sydney. What about the Pacific Sun? Should she have sailed?

I hope all goes well. :)

Evon.

This whole H1N1 saga regarding cruise ships has to be the biggest over reaction, I have ever seen.

Every day you have thousands of airline passengers arriving at airports, the only check they get is to be asked if they have any flu symptoms.

A single Airbus 380 can carry 850 passengers and arrives daily so why is a cruise ship which turns up once a week carrying 2000+ people worthy of so much attention.

Quarantining one ship for a few days is not going slow down this flu entering Australia.

Never mind the fact that it appears this flu in its most virulent form has already run its course, the form we have at the moment is basically the bot which keeps you off work for a couple of days.

There have been 99 deaths in 15500 cases and most of those were in the first few weeks in Mexico.

I think it is time for a reality check.

It will be interesting to see what sort of reaction the Sun gets when it arrives in Auckland.

Interesting report on PD's arrival in Brisbane.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/pacific-dawn-berths-20090530-bqrq.html

this quote from the last few paragraphs says it all...

Tanya told ABC Radio that it was only on Friday night that passengers were told Queensland residents would have to leave the vessel, while those from elsewhere would have to sail on to Sydney.

Passengers had been told they could leave the Pacific Dawn for day trips.

"It wasn't till last night they announced that only Queensland passengers would be allowed to get off and they would not be allowed back on.

"They actually told us anyone who lived in Queensland had to get off, whether they wanted to or not.

"That caused quite a lot of drama last night,'' she said.

Some Queenslanders had intended to sail on and some had cars and airline bookings in Sydney.

She said while it was disappointing that the ship did not visit its planned stopovers, most passengers had enjoyed the trip.

"We're all quite amused at how much the ship is the focus because we're all 100 per cent healthy ... and having a great time.''

it would be nice when you make a statement like that and say you have photos to put the photos up on the your post, instead of saying you may put them on tomorow.

Thanks to those who responded and who - like me - did not think your above post was quite necessary (I equally think your response to Mrs Waldo was "off target")

Here is a photo from arriving in Rabaul on the Dawn Princess showing the yellow flag (all my other flag shots were taken during the days or at sailaway, i.e. no yellow flags would have been up).

Dawn%20Princess%20120409%200059.JPG

I must say that brisbane water looks dirty

With all the rain we have had recently the river will look dirty as it is all stirred up.

My husband was out in the boat early this morning fishing and as he was pulling anchor a police boat sped past him, he looked behind him to see the Dawn coming in the river and 2 helicopters above it.

CanRaiders I must say that brisbane water looks dirty

I actually thought it was looking quite blue for a change, and thought all the recent rain must have freshened it up.

Shes now on her way to Sydney.

Lets hope they all enjoy their last day at sea tomorrow,

and the disembarktion at Wharf 8 is not too traumatic for them:eek:

efs60k.jpg

Good Idea I will pack some oinkment, only three of us on the roll call so we have the boat to ourselves and won't catch the flu will we:p

Maybe a few quiet cruises coming up! With all the Glen 20 that will be sprayed everywhere it will be the healthiest cruise ever!

Angela

has any one heard or dos any one think or any one know if the next pacific dawn cruise will go ahead or not?

There are several people that I know on this board that are going on the next cruise, and I haven't heard from any of them that anything has changed with the cruise.

Archived