pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

i didnt now that there were quarantinable diseases in that region( north qld)

There is no problem with quarantinable diseases in north Q'ld. My understanding is that there are no swine flu cases in the area and the Government wants to keep it that way to safeguard the tourist industry. :)

Escape from the PD at Airlie Beach for one family..........but it comes at a price.... daughter had to break her arm....not intentionally of course.......so close to land

yet so far for the other pax.........shiona

pacfic dawn dockes at port side 6pm sat 30/05/09 brisbane

I have just checked Brisbane Port authority and PDawn isnt scheduled till 6pm Saturday night!!:eek:

You're looking at the Departure Times.

She's scheduled to ARRIVE at 0730 (AM) and Depart at 1830 (PM)

saw channel7 news at 6pm and they say the ship is going to be back in Sydney Sunday or Monday?so that means 7 days of quarantine for all on board?hope the passengers will get another cruise for next time.....

matt

saw channel7 news at 6pm and they say the ship is going to be back in Sydney Sunday or Monday?so that means 7 days of quarantine for all on board?hope the passengers will get another cruise for next time.....

matt

Hi Matt,

The Q'ld Government is insisting the Pacific Dawn is not 'quarantined'. Maybe it is in 'isolation'. :D

Apparently the three ill crew members have been kept in quarantine, so would have not been able to pass the bug on. By the time the passengers disembark they will have been on board for five or seven days (depending on whether they disembark in Brisbane or Sydney). They will have passed through the three day incubation period for swine flu so must be free of it.

All this hassle resulted from one five year old boy boarding the ship with the bug, but obviously his parents didn't know he had it. They fronted up to the Medical Centre three days into the cruise with a sick boy. With a three day incubation period, he probably contracted it not long before going to the ship.

I hope the passengers on this cruise get a replacement cruise. :D:D

Evon.

Irrespective of views and thoughts..

an inside source..not able to go into detail..has suggested that qld pax will be "encouraged" to debark in brisbane and there is a possibility of private transport to homes where they will spend the remainder of the 7 days quarantine, those that refuse this offer will be shacked up in sydney and asked to pay for own flights etc home (the brisbane situation will depend on whether there are any indications of transfer of disease from crew to passengers)

Sydney/NSW passengers will have transfers to their home on charter services (not sure about rural locations) other pax will be forced into isolation in aprtment hotels until they are clear to travel..NSW health to determine when

lets face it...they couldn't handle equine influenza what makes any of us think that they had a good plan in place to deal with humans

whether or not you view this disease as threat is an entirely individual view..TBH..i rarely get the flu so i doubt my chances of it having a huge impact on me minimal..however, someone I know lives with a wery immune deficient person...shoudl swine flu enter their home it may very well be fatal..

if you are that 1 or 2 for which it is fatal it is very hard to reason that it's ok to let it spread

Thanks Drelix. That is interesting. Friends who were on the Cherry Blossom cruise on the Dawn Princess told me that the ship "had the yellow quarantine flag flying as they entered every port". I thought it unlikely, but didn't know the real story. Your explanation seems very logical.

Evon.

We were also on the Cherry Blossom cruise and I can confirm that the yellow flag was flown on entry to ports. Tomorrow I may post a couple of photos.

From Wikipedia :

Pratique is the license given to a ship to enter port on assurance from the captain to convince the authorities that he/she is free from contagious disease.

A ship can signal a request for "Pratique" by flying a solid yellow square-shaped flag. This yellow flag is the Q flag in the set of International maritime signal flags.

The captain on the Dawn Princess confirmed this.

If another flag is added, that may change, I believe.

From what I have heard and read, Australian health authorities had good plans in place for an epidemic and they had warning of the swine flu's existence overseas. They were prepared. However, I feel that NSW Health fumbled the ball.

In the case of equine influenza, from what I have heard from someone on the inside, the problem got out of hand because it was hidden in the early stage. If it had been handled properly right from the start by isolating the facility where the outbreak occurred, it may have been contained.

Containment and isolation is what was tried with the swine flu, but unfortunately infected people continue to arrive from overseas. Apparently they do not know where the five year old boy who took the bug onto the Pacific Dawn picked it up.

Evon.

It really doesn't matter what we think. But in hindsight they should never have let the passengers onto the ship once they knew that there was swine flu on-board.

However ,I bet that the passengers are making the best of their cruise and hopefully first timers will not be turned off cruising again.

Irrespective of views and thoughts..

an inside source..not able to go into detail..has suggested that qld pax will be "encouraged" to debark in brisbane and there is a possibility of private transport to homes where they will spend the remainder of the 7 days quarantine, those that refuse this offer will be shacked up in sydney and asked to pay for own flights etc home (the brisbane situation will depend on whether there are any indications of transfer of disease from crew to passengers)

Sydney/NSW passengers will have transfers to their home on charter services (not sure about rural locations) other pax will be forced into isolation in aprtment hotels until they are clear to travel..NSW health to determine when

lets face it...they couldn't handle equine influenza what makes any of us think that they had a good plan in place to deal with humans

whether or not you view this disease as threat is an entirely individual view..TBH..i rarely get the flu so i doubt my chances of it having a huge impact on me minimal..however, someone I know lives with a wery immune deficient person...shoudl swine flu enter their home it may very well be fatal..

if you are that 1 or 2 for which it is fatal it is very hard to reason that it's ok to let it spread

with what you have just said, its a very major statement to make and you should provide the source you got your info from. ( do you work for P&O or qld health or some media out let?)

We were also on the Cherry Blossom cruise and I can confirm that the yellow flag was flown on entry to ports. Tomorrow I may post a couple of photos.

From Wikipedia :

Pratique is the license given to a ship to enter port on assurance from the captain to convince the authorities that he/she is free from contagious disease.

A ship can signal a request for "Pratique" by flying a solid yellow square-shaped flag. This yellow flag is the Q flag in the set of International maritime signal flags.

The captain on the Dawn Princess confirmed this.

If another flag is added, that may change, I believe.

it would be nice when you make a statement like that and say you have photos to put the photos up on the your post, instead of saying you may put them on tomorow.

Archived