lounge suit v dinner jacket

Hi,

I am going on the Baltic cruise this Friday on the Jewel of the Seas and am undecided as to whether to take a dark lounge suit or a formal dinner jacket for the formal dinners.It seems to becoming the trend on certain ships to not bother with the DJ and to wear a suit instead.The last thing I want, is to feel underdressed or overdressed for the formal dinners. I would welcome comments from anybody who has recently been on this cruise on the Jewel as to what seems to be the norm.

Regards,

Mike

On formal nights DH wears a black shirt and black slacks on short cruises and a tux on longer cruises. Never a suit or sport coat at any time. He said wear what ever you are comfortable in. Some people wear t-shirt and shorts.

So you can never be under dressed or over dressed.

So you can never be under dressed or over dressed.

Really? We've all read of people being turned away from the dining room for being underdressed. So, am I to understand that I can wear a bathing suit with flip flops to dinner in the MDR?

I am in NO way a clothes policeman, but let's be reasonable.

.... He said wear what ever you are comfortable in.....

I think "we" all know what he was talking about when he said "wear whatever youa re comfortable in" meaning a tux, lounge suit or dark suit. Lets not start splitting hairs here.

Okay, you UK folks, please explain to me what a "lounge" suit is. Being a baby boomer I'm picturing a powder blue leisure suite. :eek:

Hi temple1,

Sorry to confuse you,its just a quaint english saying, meaning an ordinary suit i.e. jacket and trousers. The mind boggles about a blue leisure SUITE,that to us UK folks is a settee and armchair.

Regards,

Mike;)

My husband always wears his evening suit on formal nights. That being said, many wear lounge suits, and many chose to wear even less formal attire. I think those who chose formal wear make a very fine appearance.

:)

Hi temple1,

Sorry to confuse you,its just a quaint english saying, meaning an ordinary suit i.e. jacket and trousers. The mind boggles about a blue leisure SUITE,that to us UK folks is a settee and armchair.

Regards,

Mike;)

Dang my typing!

Really? We've all read of people being turned away from the dining room for being underdressed. So, am I to understand that I can wear a bathing suit with flip flops to dinner in the MDR?

I am in NO way a clothes policeman, but let's be reasonable.

Obviously some people are more comfortable wearing what they want rather than wearing what everyone else wears. I don't think OP thinks that way tho.

I didn't read anyone saying you could get into the MDR wearing anything you wanted.

That's why WJ is open for dinner!

Archived