Turkey Dogs .. yuk ... why not good ole American Hot Dogs

Harry1954

On two of the last three cruises on HAL when we asked what type of hot dogs they were serving, we were informed they were turkey dogs. Not believing this as it seemed astonishing, I asked one of the main Chefs .. and they affirmed this to be the case. What ever happened to good old American Hot Dogs .. and why turkey ?

harry

That explains everything Harry, and I couldn't agree more. Being from Chicago we love a good hot dog occasionally, and we couldn't figure out why the ones at the Lido pool grill tasted so funny. Although we’ve mentioned it on the comment cards a couple of times, we’ll now be a little more specific . . . get rid of the turkey-dogs!

I, for one, am happy that they are serving turkey dogs. Less fat, more heart healthy. Different strokes for different folks.

But I do not mean to infer that EVERYONE should be forced to eat turkey dogs. There should be those all beef or miscellaneous beef and pork parts dogs for those willing to eat them.

Would it be so difficult for them to stock and serve both the "real" original hot dogs and those made of turkey for those that prefer them? Why would it have to be one OR the other? Bad planning on the part of HAL:(

I, for one, am happy that they are serving turkey dogs. Less fat, more heart healthy. Different strokes for different folks.

But I do not mean to infer that EVERYONE should be forced to eat turkey dogs. There should be those all beef or miscellaneous beef and pork parts dogs for those willing to eat them.

Don't kids yourself.. Turkey dogs are made from "those Parts" too.

I'll take a nice Nathans, Sabretts or Boars Head dog anyday..

mmmm

In April I was on Maasdam. I was told by the chef at the grill that the hot dogs were beef. I don't eat beef so I didn't try them. I think my husband ate one but I don't remember him saying they tasted funny. He doesn't like turkey dogs. I only remember him eating the one so maybe it really was turkey and tasted bad to him, which is why he stuck to burgers and pizza from the grill.

Oh, I wish they'd serve an Oscar Mayer weiner!

That is what I'd truly like to eat.

For if they'd serve an Oscar Mayer weiner,

Then I'd know what's really in that meat. :D

Well, the reason I posted this was that my DW can not eat turkey dogs as she has severe allergy to turkey. I recognize the value of turkey, but this is not an option in our family. So, without an alternative, she does not get a hot dog .. which is a lunch meal she usually enjoys a few times on a cruise. On Maasdam in January and February, they specifically indicated they were turkey dogs and that they did not have beef hot dogs. We were very disappointed.

harry

Not kidding myself, but there is less fat in a turkey dog.

I honestly felt last week on my Zuiderdam cruise that I was on a Cruise Line inflicted diet. 80% of the salad dressings were no fat and tasted like it, unsalted butter at the MDR and Lido, entrees with no sauces, desserts with no Sugar. What happened to just regular food?

I don't agree with the yuk of turkey dogs, because that is all I eat! However, I think they should serve both because I know a lot of people don't share my love of a good turkey dog. That way, you can make everybody happy!

Very cute poem, Ruth! But you might not really know what's in those Oscar Meyers. The makers of Ballpark Franks is suing the maker of OM challenging their claim of 100% beef!

Remember Clara Peller? "Where's the beef???"

(Clara Peller ... not to be confused with Sarah Palin.) :)

Very cute poem, Ruth! But you might not really know what's in those Oscar Meyers. The makers of Ballpark Franks is suing the maker of OM challenging their claim of 100% beef!

Remember Clara Peller? "Where's the beef???"

I don't want the Oscar Mayer all-beef franks; I want the weiners.

I'm sure I ate my last hot dog years ago, but every once in a while (summer holidays, like yesterday) I'd like to have one. If HAL served hot dogs that I knew agreed with me, I would be tempted to have one.

Well, the reason I posted this was that my DW can not eat turkey dogs as she has severe allergy to turkey. I recognize the value of turkey, but this is not an option in our family. So, without an alternative, she does not get a hot dog .. which is a lunch meal she usually enjoys a few times on a cruise. On Maasdam in January and February, they specifically indicated they were turkey dogs and that they did not have beef hot dogs. We were very disappointed.

harry

I wonder if the ones in April on Maasdam were really turkey and not beef as I was told. If they were turkey, I would have eaten them. I'm disappointed that I didn't get a turkey dog, assuming HAL had them. If someone wants a beef/pork hot dog, HAL should offer them as well. The menu by the grill listed "chicken burgers" which were really a seasonless (tasteless!) grilled chicken breast. It seems if the hot dogs were turkey, they would have mentioned it on the menu. When the average person sees "hot dog", s/he assumes beef/pork and not turkey. That's what I assume, although I do sometimes ask just in case it's something different.

At the terrace grill they offered, I think, three varieties of hot dog. They offered a turkey dog, a brat, and a hot dog that I assumed to be beef/pork. Obviously they weren't all turkey dogs; or could they be?

I honestly felt last week on my Zuiderdam cruise that I was on a Cruise Line inflicted diet. 80% of the salad dressings were no fat and tasted like it, unsalted butter at the MDR and Lido, entrees with no sauces, desserts with no Sugar. What happened to just regular food?

Unsalted butter has been on HAL ships for years -- this is nothing new.

I love the unsalted butter on HAL. They finally had unsalted at Costco and I bought some. I just hope it is as good as the HAL butter.

I would have just liked the two choices at breakfast to be Unsalted and Regular butter rather than margarine :(. The obviously had it as it appeared on day 5 and the margarine was gone. Nothing against unsalted butter, use it all the time to bake, but never to serve.

Archived