Earthquake! (MERGED THREADS)

gail811

Just heard on Good Morning America that there was an earthquake

centered in/near Roatan . Houses collapsed in Roatan. It was felt

as far away as Belize according to reports. Tsunami watch has now

been cancelled.

Anyone hear any additional info on this?

Does anyone know about this area? From what I saw, it's been since 1999 since they had a big earthquake there. We are cruising on Valor 6/7 and I'm wondering what aftershocks there will be or how long those might go on. What will the cruiselines do?

I certainly hope too that the people in those areas are going to be safe.

That was the first thing I saw when I turned the news on this morning. We leave Sunday for our cruise. The news didn't state if it caused big waves or any damage.

Feel sorry for the folks affected by this! I am beginning to think that this is a sign. First Cozumel with the swine flu now Belize and Rhotan. We are leaving on 14th.

Woo! ..... Woo! .... Woo! Stop it! ............. (Now if this were the movies, I would slap your cheek at this time.) Get a hold of your self before you start a panic and people start cancelling cruises.

The good news is that if there was a tsunami, at sea it would be only inches high. At shore that would be a different story. So we have sea days. So what?

Don't forget, all those Caribbean islands are what? ............ They are former volcanos and what comes with volcanos? ............. Earthquakes. In fact, St Lucia has steam vents going as we speak.

So there! ............. Calm down and go back to you deck chair. Things will be OK. Trust me!

Per the Guidelines, another host moved a thread to this forum. I then merged it with another thread on the same topic already here on this forum. Any future threads concerning the same topic on this forum will be merged here too.

Per the Cruise Critic software, all posts now appear in date/time order on the thread with the first start date. For the members that posted on one of the merged threads, you might want to read back through the whole thread to make sure you have not missed any posts.

Also per the Guidelines, here is the Copyright Infringements section:

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information.

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Numerous posts in this merged thread had to be edited. Please feel free to post the information again, but show the link only with no copy/paste of text.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Does anyone know about this area? From what I saw, it's been since 1999 since they had a big earthquake there. We are cruising on Valor 6/7 and I'm wondering what aftershocks there will be or how long those might go on. What will the cruiselines do?

I certainly hope too that the people in those areas are going to be safe.

As you mentioned, 1999 was the last time a major earthquake was reported here but small ones are really pretty common. There have been a few aftershocks but they normally do not last long. There has been more injuries and damage reported on the mainland than on Roatan.

Thanks for providing this link. From the maps in the articles the epicenter looked like it was close to Roatan and this confirmed my fears. :(

If you're leaving for a cruise in that area of the world this weekend, you may have some port changes. You'll need to monitor your cruise line's web site or Cruise Critic for updates.

I have e-mailed Victor Bodden but have not heard back and probably won't for some time. Not sure if there's any power on the island or not. I will post when I hear from him. We had the priviledge of meeting him this past Feb when the Pearl docked in Roatan for the day. They will need our tourism more than ever now! Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Archived