Why does it matter what state you are from?

LOWTYD

I am curious why NCL asks what state you are from. Do different states get better deals and who are they and why is that so? Someone mentioned on another thread about being from Florida. What do they get that we don't?:confused: (I want to be from a better deal state!:()

I know they sometimes offer "Regional" deals but have no clue how it works. My guess is if the ship is not filling up they may offer the Regional deals for those States surrounding the port to try to fill any empty staterooms..

I've always wondered this as well. The only one I can speak to specifically in the recent months has been Disney. Under their specials, they usually list specials for Florida residents and then specials for all others.

For our January trip, the Florida rate was $300pp lower than our rate. This prompted me to write DCL and tell them I think that is silly as I live in Wisconsin and have to pay nearly as much for the airfare as the cruise so it would seem better sense to give incentives for those out of state. I'm not talking about last minute deals either.

I do see the logic that Floridians can drive at a moments notice and it might make more people from Florida to take the leap. Right now, their are only a couple specials listed for Floridians, but nothing like last fall.

Ok, so we are just talking Florida here but does it work with other ports? I can easily drive to NYC in about an hour and half. (granted I heard that most ships leaving NY are full so you don't really get any good deals) but what about people in other port state? It shouldn't even give you a choice of where you from unless the only choice is Florida if they are the only oned getting a discount. I can skip right over that part then.

Ok, so we are just talking Florida here but does it work with other ports? I can easily drive to NYC in about an hour and half. (granted I heard that most ships leaving NY are full so you don't really get any good deals) but what about people in other port state? It shouldn't even give you a choice of where you from unless the only choice is Florida if they are the only oned getting a discount. I can skip right over that part then.

It is not port specific and it is not offered on all sail dates. It usually will apply to dates that they need help filling the beds and does not include all states.

I would hazard a guess that in a lot of cases it is driven by the necessity/desire to fill cabins. I am talking last minute (after final payment) deals.

Sticking with the Floridian deals. As we all know there are certain times of the year when there is more chance that a ship will sail at less than 100% capacity. Perhaps they are the 10-11 night Caribbean cruises in Sep - early December. The cruise line (any of them) will pop out a resident deal. Couple of reasons . . . 1) drive to port - last minute airfares can negate a lot of deals. 2) time on hand - lots of us seniors live in Florida, are retired and can get up and go quickly 3) income - disposable income is more available amongst senior cruisers (perhaps). When we lived in central Florida a few short years ago no port was more than 4 hours drive from our home. We got some fantastic last minute resident deals. Now that we are up in Maine, not so much :o.

As to the question from LOWTYD - does it work in all ports. I am not sure, but would probably guess not as much. For instance - there seems to be no problem for the cruiselines filling cabins on sailings out of NY, NJ, PA, etc., so there is no incentive to offer "deals" to residents of those states.

Just my thoughts.

As to the question from LOWTYD - does it work in all ports. I am not sure, but would probably guess not as much. For instance - there seems to be no problem for the cruiselines filling cabins on sailings out of NY, NJ, PA, etc., so there is no incentive to offer "deals" to residents of those states.

Just my thoughts.

I think I need to move...........:o

I've sailed RC and Carnival as well as NCL. They all offer Residency discounts on certain sailings for many different states. NCL also has a military and union discount so be sure to ask about that.

OT here.. sorry, Sandy :D

I use a PCC, but I don't want to bug her when I'm snoopin' around the website checking on prices for future cruises. Is there a promo code for the military discount? And if you "sign-in" on the website, will it automatically give you the Latitude's discount? Thanks guys.

Oh, and aren't we giving them our state info. so that if we need airfare added they can find the airports? No? OK. :p

It does work with other states. I don't recall which cruise it was but we did once receive a discount for being CT residents! It was probably one of the ones that departed from FL.

It does work with other states. I don't recall which cruise it was but we did once receive a discount for being CT residents! It was probably one of the ones that departed from FL.

Like that makes a lot of sense. Maybe it was in the winter when all the snowbirds live in FL:D

Do we pay state taxes on the fare? For that matter since NCL is based in Florida (right?) would Florida residents have to pay state taxes but not those residing outside of FL?

There are no state sales taxes on cruise fares in any state I'm aware of.

I think I need to move...........:o

Hey I got some property for you. South Florida, middle of the state, just to the north of I-75, plenty of wildlife

800px-Two_american_alligators.jpg

right outside your door and only an hour or so for FLL or MIA. :D

ot here.. Sorry, sandy :d

i use a pcc, but i don't want to bug her when i'm snoopin' around the website checking on prices for future cruises. is there a promo code for the military discount? and if you "sign-in" on the website, will it automatically give you the latitude's discount? Thanks guys.

Oh, and aren't we giving them our state info. So that if we need airfare added they can find the airports? No? Ok. :p

p g m i l

My memory (which I would not bet on.. LOL) is that when NCL offered sailings out of Galveston, residents of Texas got a discount on those bookings. I honestly do not know why, but that is what I remember.

You have a good memory but the discount was not exclusive to TX residents. They also offered discounts to other people living in other states but cruising out of Galveston.

Hey I got some property for you. South Florida, middle of the state, just to the north of I-75, plenty of wildlife

800px-Two_american_alligators.jpg

right outside your door and only an hour or so for FLL or MIA. :D

UHHHHHH, ummmmm, oooo, I'm good, thanks!:o

Thanks a bunch, phantomII!! :)

I never new that. I thought it was automatic if you checked you are a Lattitude member but I never say any discounts.

Thanks.

(no problem on the O.T Wink...good information provided!)

Thanks a bunch, phantomII!! :)

That is just for the military discount but is there one for Lattitude? I always check that I am lattitude but I never see any differnece:(

(no problem on the O.T Wink...good information provided!):)

Archived