Tipping

I will be sailing on the Voyager in January and haven't sailed RCCL in about 10 years. I know the info is probably buried somewhere in this forum so don't start screaming at me because search it NOT spitting it out!... Has RCCL gone to auto tipping on your sign/sail or whatever they call it or do they still do the envelopes.

Thanks

Diane

On IOS and NOS earlier this year, you had the option of opting into an automatic gratuity system. You filled out a form and handed it in at guest relations and they charged the gratuities to your unboard account. You were subsequently given vouchers to hand to the waiters etc. If you did not opt in then you paid the gratuities the old fashioned way.

They still have the envelopes...

You can elect to put the recommended tips on your Sea Pass account if you'd like, they'll send out a form offering that option a few days into the cruise. If you sign up for that option, they'll still send you the envelopes along with vouchers to hand out the last night of the cruise.

Just returned from Voyager this week. You have option to put tips on your Setsail Pass (onboard account), and they will put electronic tip vouchers in the envelope or you can put your tip in cash in the envelopes provided.

I will be sailing on the Voyager in January and haven't sailed RCCL in about 10 years. I know the info is probably buried somewhere in this forum so don't start screaming at me because search it NOT spitting it out!... Has RCCL gone to auto tipping on your sign/sail or whatever they call it or do they still do the envelopes.

Thanks

Diane

What you might want to know ahead of time that if you choose to do My Time Dining your tips will have to have automatically charged to your Sea Pass card (you have no choice). Since we always have our tips added to our Sea Pass card at the beginning of our cruises we thought nothing of it. We have always received great service on the Voyager from everyone; from our cabin attendant, to the wait staff to the maintenance man that we had to call to unclog our toilet twice on a recent cruise :eek: .

It might have been 10 years since you have been on her but I can tell you that she has graced very beautifully.

My Time Dining sounds like a great option. We originally booked with the late seating, but we are thinking of switching to My Time. I have also prepaid my gratuities. Am I going to have any trouble making the switch?

You won't have a problem. When you get onboard go to the main dining room. They will have a desk set up advertising my time dining. Speak with one of the attendants and they will switch you. On Voyager last week, they RCI had a staff member at the dining room everyday to help people make changes to my time dining. I was at the late seating and will never do that again. Never finished dinner until 11pm everynight. With my time dining you can pick a more reasonable time.

It's a great idea that those who use MTD must prepay their tips. Sad to say, but there must be numerous individuals looking to stiff the staff to "save" money. This practice removes that possibility and that's a good thing!

You can

1. prepay them before boarding

2. Pay in cash at the end

3. Have them put on your seapass

(different story if one has my time dining). Jan

I am trying to figure out how to prepay them before boarding, but have not been able to figure out that option. Can someone tell me, specifically, how I do this? Please! And thank you!! :)

So if pre-paying, it gets charged to your credit card right away (vs. being applied to your sail & sign card (or whatever RCI calls it)?), which is what I'm used to.

Sorry, I know that's such a basic question, but I have never sailed RCI (yet)! Thanks again.

My Time Dining sounds like a great option. We originally booked with the late seating, but we are thinking of switching to My Time. I have also prepaid my gratuities. Am I going to have any trouble making the switch?

Its the best option for us too, I am always late if I have a set time so MTD it is;), I had already pre-paid tips so to budget better.:) We managed to change it over no problem.

So if pre-paying, it gets charged to your credit card right away (vs. being applied to your sail & sign card (or whatever RCI calls it)?), which is what I'm used to.

Sorry, I know that's such a basic question, but I have never sailed RCI (yet)! Thanks again.

No it does not get charged to your Credit Card right away. It gets charged to your CC when final payment is made. I have Prepaids attached to all my cruises all the way through 2011. They just show up on my invoice as an amount that is due when I make final payment.

We also have MyTime and have had it on the last 2 cruises. Love it, will never do traditional dining again.

Archived