Trans Atlantic Flight Tips

Mr. Baloo

Hi all,

It it getting close to our trip, having all the ports figured out, how do we make the best of the long... 9 hour flight from Philadelphia to Barcelona? We have never flown overseas before so we are curious how long does nine hours feel on a plane and how to arrive fresh and ready to go!!! =)

Also, are trans-Atlantic planes different? outlets for computers? movies? meals? space? Our plane has a 2-4-2 seat configuration. We are flying coach, there was no way we could justify the $2500 extra for 1st class......

Thanks

I am assuming you are on an overnight flight so your best bet is to try to sleep as much as possible which has always been difficult for me. Take Tylenol PM (Benadryl), ask your doctor for a sleeping pill, or do as my husband does and down two quick drinks of Scotch. Noise canceling headphones may help too. The flights are slightly better than within the U.S. They will feed you, let you watch a movie, then dim the lights. After a couple hours they will turn the lights back up and serve you breakfast pretending that the 3-4 hours you slept was a full night. I always take a nap after I get to my hotel then get up for dinner and try to adjust to the new time zone.

Have a great trip.

... we are curious how long does nine hours feel on a plane and how to arrive fresh and ready to go!

Also, are trans-Atlantic planes different? outlets for computers? movies? meals? space?

If you're awake, it's nine hours. You will not be fresh or ready to go.

However, if you sleep the entire flight, which is what I always try to do on the eastbound trans-Atlantics, it will feel like a night's sleep and you will have more of a chance of feeling fresher when you arrive. But you must look at what time your body will be telling you it is when you get there. Many flights arrive at European airports when the local time at the point of origin is between 2 am and 5 am. If your body thinks it's that time of the day, then no matter how much sleep you've had and what you do, you're going to feel like death warmed up.

As for what's on board, can you give us a clue? Which airline? Which aircraft model?

What time does your flight leave Philadelphia at?

When I'm doing an overnight flight I try to get as much sleep on the plane as possible. I'll have something light to eat, read for a bit, put my earplugs in and eye mask on, get comfy (if that's possible) with a pillow and blanket and tune out everything that's going on around me. I also keep a bottle of water with me because when I'm dozing, I miss the flight attendants when they come by with beverages.

We've normally had two meals on our overnight flights ... dinner and breakfast (or breakfast snack), but I would check on-line with the carrier that you are using to see what meals are included or available for an extra price. I normally pack enough food to keep us going ... the choices of food offered for sale on the plane are often not that appealing (or healthy), and the free meals, if offered, are 'hit and miss' as well.

It's hard to arrive feeling fresh, but if you've gotten some sleep on the plane, I would recommend that you try to do some sightseeing when you arrive in Barcelona, that involves walking and fresh air. The excitement of starting your vacation will help overcome the lack of sleep ... at least for the first few hours. 'Hit the hay' early that first night ... you'll sleep like a log and wake up feeling much more energetic the next day.

Enjoy!:)

p.s. on our recent long flight (Chicago to Hawaii) United did not give out pillows and blankets due to H1N1 ... a jacket or sweater in your carryon might come in handy.

I assume you are taking the USAir non-stop? (Also sold by Spanair, but it is still the USAir flight. If so, and if it is really 2-4-2, then see http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Airbus_A330.php

If seating is 2-3-3 then:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_Airways/US_Airways_Boeing_767-200.php

I posted the latter because USAir often flies the 767 on this route and they might well chance equipment on you. The 330 is better equipment (power outlet, individual TVs, etc.)

I do a fair amount of overseas travel. Everyone who flies long-distance frequently has her/his own routine. Mine is:

1) I see no reason to be awake during the flight. First, as soon as I board I try to convince myself I am on the destination time which is 6 hours ahead of PHL. If my guess as to which flight you are on is correct, that means it is already after midnight (Barcelona time) when you board, so it is time to go to sleep. Secondly, air travel is at best boring and uncomfortable.

The only time I take sleeping pills is for long flights.

2) I never drink anything on-board except water, but I drink lots of water.

3) I never eat on planes -- even on flights considerably longer than this one. This seems to help reduce jet lag for me. Others think I am crazy, but it seems to work for me.

4) I have yet to watch a movie on any flight. Once the flight attendant says it is allowed, I put on my noise canceling earphones, plug it into my iPod and play my relaxation music (mine is Gregorian chants -- I use the same for meditating at home). On goes the eye mask after I grab a couple of bottles of water from the FA and ask her/him to please not wake me for dinner, breakfast, drinks, etc.

5) When I get up to use the restroom -- if you don't have to go, you are not drinking enough water -- I walk around a bit, stretch, etc.

6) When I reach my destination, I'll grab a bite to eat and have a shower. The shower really helps me .. and since it is morning flying East, it helps to convince me that it really is morning.

7) I do not take a nap (those really screw me up and make my jet lag worse) and remain physically active. Sunlight helps, so if weather is other than completely ugly, I will be outside as much as possible. I eat an early dinner (which in Barcelona means anything before about 10 p.m. for the locals; so rather than go to a tourist restaurant, I'll eat tapas) and hit the sack early.

Enjoy the trip

I would have to pretty much agree with ab0si.

Nine hours can feel like a lifetime! You will never arrive fresh and ready to go. Agree with most of the suggestions you've already received. Don't choose a seat near the lavatories or you will be disturbed constantly with the traffic and noise. Same with a seat near the galleys, though that's not as bad.

Bring an eye mask if you want to sleep. Even with the lights dimmed, the odds are you will be seated someplace someone turns their overhead light on and it will be shining over into your eyes! Noise cancelling headphones are a must, or at least ear plugs.

The minute you get on the plane, set your watch to the time of your destination and act as if you are on that time. Don't eat heavily, or drink too much alcohol. I don't use sleeping pills, but you can discuss this with your doctor. I don't believe any of the rest of the "miracle" jetlag stuff works, but if you think it will, try it.

The odds are that in economy on most airlines, you will have no power outlets, so don't ever count on it. Sometimes even if you do, it won't work in your row.

When you land if it's during the day, check into your hotel, shower and get outside into the sunshine and walk around. No naps and avoid caffeine.

I have flown a few flights both east and west this year, and these things have helped me adjust. Have a great trip.

I’m not an advocate of taking any kind of drugs for the wrong reasons. But after talking to my Doctor and him advising my wife and I take Ambian CR when getting on a Trans Atlantic/Pacific flight, this has drastically changed how we now feel when landing. Within 20 minutes we are sound asleep and when we wake up we are getting ready to land and feel better than we ever had previously. JMHO.

John

I get by on 4-5 hrs of sleep/night at home, so getting 4-5 hrs on an 8 hr TATL flight is OK with me. I usually have a cocktail, a light meal on board (seafood, if available) and watch a film until I feel sleepy. I have not needed to use a sleeping pill. If I were to try one, I would make it a very short acting one like Sonata, so that it is completely worn off prior to landing.

If I can get 4+ hrs of sleep on the plane, then I do just fine on arrival in Europe. Westbound is another deal entirely, as sleep is not as important and you will get to enjoy the whole flight, watch the IFE, do a little Duty Free shopping, etc..

I am like the earlier post and don't like to drug myself. However I can never sleep on airplanes. I happened to bring it up with a friend who's a neurologist, and she gave me a prescription for Amitriptyline. Normal use is for severe depression, but in small doses it's a sleep aid. She said it's good because you "cycle" through all the sleep stages including REM. She explained that Lunestra, Ambian, or good old Benadryl do not do this, you get quantity of sleep but not quality.

On her instructions, I tested the right dosage...do it on a weekend! I now know how much to take for 4 hours or 8 hours of solid sleep on our trip to Australia.

I don't understand the concern........9 hours? plseeese thats nothing. I know people that sit in front of their tvs for longer.

We are just back from a trip to Australia, try 20 plus hours!!!! The longest leg is LA to Syd for 15 hours!

I don't understand the concern........9 hours? plseeese thats nothing. I know people that sit in front of their tvs for longer.

We are just back from a trip to Australia, try 20 plus hours!!!! The longest leg is LA to Syd for 15 hours!

If you dont understand the concern? then why even post???? just move along to something that concerns you.

As for the other posters... thank you very much for your suggestions they are very much appreciated.

If you dont understand the concern? then why even post???? just move along to something that concerns you.

As for the other posters... thank you very much for your suggestions they are very much appreciated.

Excellent response, sir.

The post did sound like: Poor, you think THAT is poor? When I was young we were so poor.....

One thing I do when flying coach is to get myself mentally ready for a long flight. We always arrange a long layover for connecting flights where we relax in a club lounge. I visualize the flight as if I am driving 8 or 9 hours, except when I drive I can't read, so I make myself believe it is more comfortable to sit in a plane seat than car seat. Not true, but I get myself to believe.

I drink water, have dinner, pop an ambien, read until I fall asleep - if I do.

When we arrive, we check in and sightsee until we are really sleepy and then get a long night sleep. If I don't sleep on the plane, I do get a nap in the early afternoon, then go to dinner and then get a really good night's sleep.

Not perfect, but seems to work for me.

As other posters have said, don't drink alcohol - stick to lots of water. Try to sleep on the plane, after you check in at your hotel, wash your face and go for a walk - see the sights and try to stay up until it's time to go bed local time.

Hi all,

It it getting close to our trip, having all the ports figured out, how do we make the best of the long... 9 hour flight from Philadelphia to Barcelona? We have never flown overseas before so we are curious how long does nine hours feel on a plane and how to arrive fresh and ready to go!!! =)

Also, are trans-Atlantic planes different? outlets for computers? movies? meals? space? Our plane has a 2-4-2 seat configuration. We are flying coach, there was no way we could justify the $2500 extra for 1st class......

Thanks

If you are doing US Air then likely its a 767. Not a great plane, the older vesion we flew last summer couldn't take the standard large roller carry-one width size, only length wise. Thus if there are a lot of carryons overhead will be very tight. Plan on overhead space being tight, get on early so you can some overhead or you'll have something at your feet for the whole flight, NOT what you want in coach.

In economy on this class figure its tight, better then some domestics airlines. The 767 doesn't have personal entertainment, or power outlets so figure you get whatever choice they are playing on their onboard entertainment or as long as your batteries last on your own equipment. They do give you earphones, blanket and pillow for every seat at no charge, unlike domestic.

They should serve a dinner and light breakfast before landing. They also provide drinks. Our attendants were crabby but still came by every 45' to hour to offer water as well all night.

Do try to sleep, the overnight works well if you are a good sleeper, get 4-5 hours sleep on plance and arrive in the morning with some rest under your belt. By late PM on your first day you'll feel dead tired, but do try to stay awake the first day. If you go for a long nap you'll really be screwed up. The other flight option is to try and stay awake for the full flight and the full day after you arrive. I general don't sleep well so I watch a few movies, read a book, drink lots of liquids and tough out the first day. I always try and get an aisle so I can get up and stretch every 45' to hour or so.

Enjoy your trip

My husband and I do the opposite of what everyone else is suggesting. We drink wine or cocktails especially in economy as that is one of the few things to make the flight tolerable. We do take a short nap when we are able to check into our hotel and find that we are then fresh and ready to go. I realize this is all heresy, but it works for us.

My TATL tip is to drink plenty of water the day before flying as well as on flight day. I suspect that most of the discomfort of jet lag is due to dehydration, which won't be cured by 2-3 bottles of water during the flight. (The extra pit stops en route to the airport are worth it.)

Caro

Do try to sleep, the overnight works well if you are a good sleeper, get 4-5 hours sleep on plance and arrive in the morning with some rest under your belt. By late PM on your first day you'll feel dead tired, but do try to stay awake the first day. If you go for a long nap you'll really be screwed up. The other flight option is to try and stay awake for the full flight and the full day after you arrive. I general don't sleep well so I watch a few movies, read a book, drink lots of liquids and tough out the first day. I always try and get an aisle so I can get up and stretch every 45' to hour or so.

Enjoy your trip

Bolded that last snippet. I did an LA to Fiji flight (about 9 hours) with a friend who completely passed out for most of the flight. She was middle, I was window, I was miserable as I couldn't sleep like she did.

Coming back, we grabbed a 2 seat aisle and I took aisle. That way, when I couldn't sleep like she could (it really was a crazy ability) I could get up, stretch, go to the bathroom, etc.

• 2 months later...
Bolded that last snippet. I did an LA to Fiji flight (about 9 hours) with a friend who completely passed out for most of the flight. She was middle, I was window, I was miserable as I couldn't sleep like she did.

Coming back, we grabbed a 2 seat aisle and I took aisle. That way, when I couldn't sleep like she could (it really was a crazy ability) I could get up, stretch, go to the bathroom, etc.

My wife makes me mad, she can sleep leaning against a wall in a subway car. I have to down sleping meds to sleep in a plane and she is snoring before the plane even takes off!

In my teens and twenties I would forc myself not to sleep on the long haul flights. Then get into whichever destination and enjoy the day, goto bed about 21:00 local time and sleep until 9:00 the next day and feel great. Tried that onc since I have been in my thirties. Was miserable and it took me half of my trip to get on local time. Since then I pop a pill at take off, goto sleep, drink some water or orange juice each time I wake up to goto the bathroom, and arrive feling great.

Michael

My husband and I do the opposite of what everyone else is suggesting. We drink wine or cocktails especially in economy as that is one of the few things to make the flight tolerable. We do take a short nap when we are able to check into our hotel and find that we are then fresh and ready to go. I realize this is all heresy, but it works for us.

I have one bottle of water for every glass of wine/beer/spirits/bubbly onboard and have no problems with dehydration.

I agree - it's a routine I've followed for years, although I limit myself to one pre-dinner drink and wine with dinner. A short nap upon arrival at my hotel, a shower, and then dinner, to bed, and up next morning all on local time. It's the only way I ever found to be fresh for business meetings the next morning.

The only better solution I've found is a daytime flight, leaving the east coast between 9 and 10 am and arriving in Europe late evening local time, ready for a night's sleep. Unfortunately, there are very few such flights these days - they result in very poor aircraft utilization.

Bob

I fly frequently but only fly overseas for pleasure. I can sleep on airplanes. What works for some will not work for others. We always take an evening flight. I tend to stay up late the night prior to the flight-a good book or a good movie. Once on the plane I have a few glasses of wine, maybe a rye, and then pull out a book. I usually wake up just as the light breakfast is announced.

Archived