Seriously... formal wear?

mizona

:confused: DH is FINALLY taking me on a cruise to the Caribbean in October. I've been reading all sorts of pre-cruise info.(glad to find this site!) Honestly though, my lifestyle has made formal clothing a thing of the past. So, if need be, I'll purchase a basic "that will do" dress. I've actually found several at not too bad a price at Travelsmith. BUT,they are certainly not "formal". More of the basic black knee length dress; reverses to a print.. Will this, with a pair of sandals do?

I can't think of anything offhand from Travelsmith that is close to formal wear. The Princess webpage will detail what they think formal wear is; you can read about it there or in your cruise documents. If you dressed up a plain black dress though, it would probably pass. There aren't any onboard fashion police to arrest you.

If you don't want to bring anything formal, and all you need is a cocktail dress, just skip eating in the dining room on formal night.

Have never been on Princess - we use Royal - but would not wear strictly formalwear myself. Party pants or long skirt and a pretty top is more the style I am accustomed to.

Travelsmith does have great travel clothes - think you might want something a bit dressier for formal night in DR though. JMHO - hope it helps.

Which line are you sailing on? I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity in the Caribbean & Europe. A Travelsmith dress wouldn't really fit in on Formal night on those cruises.

But I understand people are less formal on other lines and on Alaskan cruises. You're not going to be ridiculed if you wear a more casual dress, but you may feel more comfortable in something more dressy. If you want to be frugal with something you won't wear often then borrow from a friend, go to a consignment store, or try less expensive shops like Kohl's or Dress Barn. Dress Barn has great affordable dresses - all are washable and many can be crunched up into a ball!

Hope this helps!

OP is on Princess.

OP- I looked at Travelsmith and am wondering if you are asking about the tank dress?

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10006&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C282&iProductID=10006&sortBy=0

I actually think a dress like this would work fine:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=13883&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C282&iProductID=13883&sortBy=0

There seems to be a sale going on right now. Add some jewelry, maybe a wrap, and dressy sandals, and I don't think you would feel out of place in a dress like this. Maybe even not in the tank dress.

I will work...but it is NOT formal!!! Evening wear is all in the material, more than the "cut". If you wear the black dress with the "wrap" top, get some fancy heels and jewelry to "dress it up".

How about picking up a nice pair of "crepey" wide leg pants and a couple pretty dressy tops? I think the second wrap top dress could be dressed up really well with jewelry and strappy sandals. At least enough to get by. The tank dress not so much. But yes, you won't be stopped from entering the dining room.

Yep, rugrats, that's the dress I was considering. I just hate to buy something so formal I'd never wear it again. Thank's for the input all.;)

I agree with rugrats - the simple black dress I would think would be fine. A black dress and pearls (even if they are fake) - works anywhere:)

I can't think of anything offhand from Travelsmith that is close to formal wear. The Princess webpage will detail what they think formal wear is; you can read about it there or in your cruise documents. If you dressed up a plain black dress though, it would probably pass. There aren't any onboard fashion police to arrest you.

If you don't want to bring anything formal, and all you need is a cocktail dress, just skip eating in the dining room on formal night.

Not sure where this poster gets off but a cocktail dress is plenty appropriate on Princess and in their dining rooms on formal nights. You'll be dressed better than 50% of the folks that think they are dressing "formal".

Have fun and don't worry about it.

I think 6rugrats said that a cocktail dress is plenty appropriate for formal night.

I think a little black dress can be dressed up a bit for a formal night. The right jewelry, shoes and evening purse can go a long way to make it a little more dressy. You can also look for something like a lacy top or a flimsy blouse with a little beading to fancy up a basic dress.

Formal night on the ships I have sailed are anything but "formal". You will see everything from dressy casual to semi-formal. Not being a member of the female gender, I can only tell you what the male gender wears. There will be a few in tux, many in suits or sport coats and some with just dress pants and a long sleeved shirt. Ties are optional. Wear something that would match what the men wear.

Many on this board would have you believe that you have to dress formal or go somewhere else to eat. This simply not true. Wear something nice and have a wonderful cruise.

There are lots of threads (and photos) on what women wear for formal and non-formal nights on the Cruise Fashions board. Here's one thread to get you started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627140

Personally, I will be wearing cocktail dresses for formal night, as that's what I already have in my closet. I'm certainly not going to go out and buy a formal gown for one night on a cruise. I will be very dressed up, heels, accessories, the whole bit, but my dress will not meet the definition of "formal".

My husband and I will take our first cruise to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary at encouragement from our kids. The formal wear thing has us really dreading the trip. We are not formal wear people!! We don't want to buy clothes we will never wear again and don't want to be uncomfortable in clothes that are not us!! My husband doesn't own anything but jeans and my dresses are the few I teach in. What can we do?

My husband and I will take our first cruise to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary at encouragement from our kids. The formal wear thing has us really dreading the trip. We are not formal wear people!! We don't want to buy clothes we will never wear again and don't want to be uncomfortable in clothes that are not us!! My husband doesn't own anything but jeans and my dresses are the few I teach in. What can we do?

Really your husband only owns jeans?? :eek: Get him a pair of dark dress pants and a tie. There HAS to be an occasion when he needs to dress up, isn't there? Certainly for the celebration of your anniversary he could do that. ;) And get him a pair of khakis for the non formal nights. Some lines frown upon jeans. You didn't say which line you are on.

You can get away with a simple black dress and jewelry. You have read here that formal nowadays, especially on Carnival or NCL, does not mean tuxes and long gowns. Don't think you would feel "uncomfortable" in nice dress clothes. Seems silly to "dread" a trip because of having to look "dressed up". Maybe your kids can help plan your wardrobe. Or loan you something.

If I were you I would only look at Carnival or NCL. They have more relaxed dress codes.

Either way....have a great trip but... if you dread going, cancel and find something you both would feel miore comfortable doing. You don't want to start a vacation feeling "uncomfortable".

Not sure where this poster gets off but a cocktail dress is plenty appropriate on Princess and in their dining rooms

Which is exactly what Rugrats said.

"...where this poster gets off"? :rolleyes: ahem

I just printed my HAL express docs, and it states:

"On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress, or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo."

Maybe it's less formal than other lines - which is fine for me!

Yes, he only owns jeans and wouldn't wear a tie for any reason. We have celebrated a lot events in jeans and that works for us. Believe it or not, there are a lot of men like him in the world. I don't own a black cocktail dress and would never use it outside the cruise. Unfortunately its too late to cancel, would have to pay for it anyway. Your post didn't make me feel any better. We are booked on the Holland to Alaska. We really want to sail and visit Alaska but I am even more worried now that we are not going to fit in with a cruise crowd. We are just not "uppity" formal wear people.

Naturetchr: you will probably find that you are in fact very comfortable on a cruise. We wondered if we would like it - we're also not "formal" type people - We love it! (My husband lives in jeans too) Guaranteed that you will see a huge variety of dress onboard - after all you have people from all over the world. It's YOUR vacation - the rule to remember is ENJOY. I think that cruising may have once been a "formal" occasion - no longer. I've met people onboard who hate dressing up - so they don't. Also met couple who said they NEVER dressed up and said that's why they so enjoyed it. Everybody is different.

A cruise IS NOT a stuffy vacation. Do what most makes you happy. I've also heard that Alaska trip is very casual clothes. BTW, we usually plan to eat in the alternative restaurant on formal night just because we like to and we don't even care about formal night.

You do not need a black cocktail dress - and it is not necessary to stress over the cruise clothes. People who are crazy about dressing up love the excuse to get all gussied up - those who don't care about it are fine too. If you want any more specifics about clothes, let me know and I'll be glad to let you know (by your anniversary (Congratulations!) I'm guessing we are about same age)

I haven't been on a cruise yet but I've been doing lots of reading on CC.:)

My understanding is:

1) If you don't want to dress up for formal night at all (and don't want to be around people who are dressed up), you can eat in the casual dining room (on HAL it is called the Lido, basically the buffet restaurant), or order room service (again, not sure if all lines have this option, but HAL does)

2) You will see a huge range of options on formal night--not everyone wears tuxes and ball gowns.

3) Alaskan cruises are known for being more casual than other cruises

Yes, he only owns jeans and wouldn't wear a tie for any reason. We have celebrated a lot events in jeans and that works for us. Believe it or not, there are a lot of men like him in the world. I don't own a black cocktail dress and would never use it outside the cruise. Unfortunately its too late to cancel, would have to pay for it anyway. Your post didn't make me feel any better. We are booked on the Holland to Alaska. We really want to sail and visit Alaska but I am even more worried now that we are not going to fit in with a cruise crowd. We are just not "uppity" formal wear people.

Sorry, but your hubby will not be allowed in the HAL dining room in jeans ANYTIME. HAL is one of the most formal, traditional lines and about 90% will comply with the dress code-at least to the extent of suits/sports coats. The ladies will generally be dressed to the nines.

Just plan on dining in the buffet on formal nights and buy him a pair of Dockers for the other nights. Otherwise, I think you will feel horribly out of place.

I just printed my HAL express docs, and it states:

"On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress, or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo."

Maybe it's less formal than other lines - which is fine for me!

Yep...this is actually how "formal" is described now on HAL and Celebrity. There are still ladies who love to wear long gowns (not me) and men who enjoy putting on a tux. But you will see the range as stated in the documents. Certainly not true formal like Cunard. But dressier on HAL than how Carnival describes their dressiest nights. HAL is a classy line with many well seasoned travelers. Service will be in that vein. Not stuffy.

There are alternative dining options for those who don't wish to dress up and feel uncomfortable around the people that do. Some even choose to have a quiet special dinner on the veranda in their room. Which can be lovely. It's all a matter of choice and the choices are there for everyone. None of the choices are more right or wrong.

Naturetchr... you can wear whatever you want of course. You asked for advice on what you could do. Other than buying/borrowing a couple things, there really isn't anything to offer you except that the clothes you wear hopefully will not make or break your vacation. As mentioned above, you should make the choices that you feel comfortable with.

I advise you ask your question on the HAL board and you'll hear from others that have recently done the Alaskan itinerary and they'll tell you the range of clothes worn as well as all the alternatives for dining on your particular ship. I do not believe that HAL allows jeans in their Main dining room. And certainly not on formal nights. Better check that for sure.

By the way, Naturetchr...Dressing up nicely for a dinner doesn't make cruisers "uppity". We're all pretty common people who enjoy our vacations, experiences and meeting people from around the world. We all come away with some pretty special memories.

Don't worry about what you need to wear to a dinner. There will be so many people on board and not everyone will be into the formal night. You will have a great time doing something else besides doing formal night. My boss is going in a month and is the same way. He won't think twice about eating formal and just choose to eat somewhere else that night where he can dress in jeans. My DH and I love to do the formal night since we don't get a chance to do it at home too often. Whatever you do, just have a good time and go with the flow...you've paid too much for a cruise not to enjoy it.

Archived