Checking the vacancies within 30 days?

Bruin Steve

Mostly because I've been curious, I have been checking the vacancy rate on our cruise all along by doing a "dummy" booking...

As of last week, I could determine that 63 cabins on our sailing remained available...meaning that, as of those figures, our sailing would only be at 81.5% of capacity...which, though bad for Oceania, would be somewhat nice for us in some ways...

But, now that we are within 30 days of the sailing, the Oceania website no longer allows us to do that...

Anyone know of another way to find out where the bookings stand as we close in on the sail date?

Also, I always like to go into the Guest Registration Form stuff and print out the pages I've inputted..."just in case"...But every screen I try to access--Guest Registration Form, Shore Excursions, Cabin and Category, etc. ALL result in error messages...Is that just ME or is the system still just wrought with bugs?

Thanks...

no advice for you. but thought you might get a laugh, we are gty for our next O cruise in about one and half years in the G category which is showing no cabins available. So talk about getting to sit and wonder??? what cabin??? what category??? We are easy to please so not big deal just wondering.

Steve, I hope you have great vacation!!

Please don't make dummy bookings.

Only dummies make dummy bookings.

If you want to know something, just ask.

FDR

Sorry Frank...

Actually, I never made any actual dummy bookings...just used the booking site to go as far as seeing available cabins...I would never go further (no reason)...I do not want to unnecessarily tie up any cabins...Perhaps I just misstated what I had meant.

Bet that hurt......lol

Brian

Naaaaah...Frank put a "smiley face" on it...

I'm cool with Frank...it's his cruise line...it's great to know he's paying attention...

As you know, I'm just bored and anxious...I leave for Barcelona in 19 days and at this point, it's just hard to do much but write dumb stuff...at least until I start packing...which I may start any day now...

I am really looking forward to this cruise...and cannot believe there are empty cabins! As you know, Brian, this is a great itinerary on a really nice ship...you really should have come with us...

Steve and I are friends and he knows I was joking, just like I knew that he didn't really make dummy bookings, because you really can't!

As an FYI, Steve's sailing onboard Nautica is currently 82% sold. For some reason, its by far the worst performing sailing in our Med/Greek Isles line up this year. All Nautica sailings after his, beginning with the July 11th Istanbul to Athens cruise are over 100% sold. Similarly on Insignia, all Europe sailings are over 100% sold except the June 12th departure which is only 87% sold. Given the state of the overall economy during the last 12 months, we are very pleased with these results. Similarly, our other brand Regent Seven Seas, is also experiencing sold out sailings in Europe and in Alaska this summer. In fact, about 3 months ago, when we still had available inventory for Alaska, I invited all my family and closest friends (about 22 cabins) to join us on a Regent Alaska cruise. As our original sail date sold out, we move to another date, then another date. Finally after 3 tries, I had to give up and cancel the F&F cruise because EVERYTHING sold out, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't be happier!!

I've always believed that economist and governments should study the tourism industry and the cruise industry in particular (because of our advanced booking patterns), as a leading economic indicator. We feel the effects of a downturn first, and we feel the effects of a recovery first. Based on the year to date results of advanced booking for second half of 2009 and 2010 sailings for both Oceania and Regent, I can confidently tell you that the worst of the GREAT RECESION is OVER.

The discounts that we are currently offering on both brands for 2010 sailings are the best we've ever offered. And quite frankly, given the very strong sales, the discounts are too rich and I wish I could take them back. But a deal is a deal, and we've comitted to keeping the current offers valid thorugh August 31 for Oceania and through September 30 for Regent.

I know some might think its self serving, but if you are thinking about taking a 2010 cruise aboard either line, NOW is the time to make the booking before prices go up upon the offers expiry.

Steve, I hope you enjoy yourself aboard Nautica. Drop me a line and let me know your thoughts upon your return.

All the best

FDR

We are on the cruise aboard Nautica on Oct. 3rd from Istanbul to Venice which received no special discounts or special pricing. I asked my travel agent for the status of occupancy and FDR is correct - it's about full!!!

Thanks, Frank...

Of course I will touch base with you when I get home and let you know all about it...

I am really looking forward to this cruise...and, having cruised on Nautica before, I know just how nice it will be...

As to the 82%, that's about what I came up with last time I checked...I am glad the later sailings are filling up...The itineraries, especially this one, are outstanding. When we booked it, we compared it to similar itineraries on other lines...and this one beat the others hands down. Princess offered a "Holy Land" itinerary for July on the Royal Princess--a similar small ship--but we priced it and it came out to almost as much as Oceania, but for a 12 night cruise as opposed to our 14!:

1 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 PM

2 Sorrento/Capri, Italy 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

3 At Sea

4 At Sea

5 Alexandria, Egypt 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

6 Port Said (Cairo/Giza), Egypt 12:00 PM 8:00 PM

7 Nazareth/Galilee (Haifa), Israel 8:00 AM 8:00 PM

8 Jerusalem (Ashdod), Israel 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

9 At Sea

10 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

11 Patmos, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

12 Santorini, Greece 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

13 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 AM

This is our itinerary on Oceania:

Jun 27 Barcelona 8:00 p.m.

Jun 28 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

Jun 29 La Goulette 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Jun 30 Valletta 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Jul 01 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

Jul 02 Aghios Nikolaos (Crete) 8:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.

Jul 03 Alexandria 12:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

Jul 04 Cairo (Port Said) 6:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

Jul 05 Ashdod 6:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m.

Jul 06 Haifa 6:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

Jul 07 Limassol 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

Jul 08 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

Jul 09 Kusadasi 7:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

Jul 10 Istanbul 1:00 p.m.

Jul 11 Istanbul

Note the differences--14 nights versus 12...Both visit the four ports in Israel and Egypt and Kusadasi as well...but, past there, it's Sorrento, Patmos and Santorini versus Tunisia, Malta, Crete, Cyprus and an overnight in Istanbul...As much as I love Sorrento and Santorini, we've all been there, done that multiple times...Oceania not only gives us more port stops, they are more exotic and less visited ports...and the three at sea days on Oceania are much better spaced...

And, of course, the big difference: Food, service and just how well the cruise is managed...Oceania versus Princess is a "no contest"...Oceania is simply the better product...

It's just hard to believe more people didn't flock to this itinerary...

I hope all of the people that are cruising this summer realize that some of these sales promotions and low prices are sort of an anomaly...enjoy them this year...because we will all be paying more in future years...If anyone really wanted to do a more exotic, nicer cruise, this is the opportunity...

Frank, is there still time for people to sign on?

As an FYI, Steve's sailing onboard Nautica is currently 82% sold. For some reason, its by far the worst performing sailing in our Med/Greek Isles line up this year.

FDR

Maybe they heard Steve would be on board!!!:D

Lyn

There is still time to sign up.

As you can imagine, all cruise lines pour over lots of historical data to predict future performance. Our tea leaves are telling us that bookings are so strong now, albeit with the discounts, that even when the discounts expire on September 30, demand will be such that the sailings will continue to go full. Those that book between NOW and September 30th will get the best selection of cabin categories and sailings AND, at the lowest prices. Those who book afterwards, will have to take whatever is left and pay more for it. From a purely selfish perspective, I hope most wait until October 1 to book. Either way, we are confident that 2010 will be a "normal" year for us, meaning, fully sold out!! Heck, even this year, with all that has happened since the Lehman bankruptcy, the ships are nearly full.

My sincere thanks to everyone for their support of our line, your kind words and accolades(usually), your critical comments(sometimes) that keeps us on our toes, and most important, for trusting your valuable vacation time and vacation money to Oceania.

Bon Voyage

FDR

Thanks, Frank...

Of course I will touch base with you when I get home and let you know all about it...

I am really looking forward to this cruise...and, having cruised on Nautica before, I know just how nice it will be...

...............?

Steve,

Nice to hear that you're now a strong supporter of O. Not long ago, even after one O cruise, you weren't so sure, and posted a few times listing the pros and cons of an O cruise.

I have long converted from X to O.:)

Steve,

Nice to hear that you're now a strong supporter of O. Not long ago, even after one O cruise, you weren't so sure, and posted a few times listing the pros and cons of an O cruise.

I have long converted from X to O.:)

Well, they still have both pros and cons...All cruise lines do...There are some things they do exceptionally well, other things they don't...or can't...All of it depends a lot on what the cruiser is looking for in a cruise or what they need in a cruise...I have always thought Oceania was a good product...There are certain things they do exceptionally well...food, for instance...Other things are not strong points (like entertainment)...I recognize that some shortcomings are owing to the size of the ships and the economies of providing certain things...late night food is not what one finds on, say, a large Celebrity ship...but, of course, when you only have 680 on board and over half are asleep by 10 and with limited numbers of kitchen crew on a smaller ship, it hardly makes sense to keep a staff working late providing a buffet or 24-hour pizza...I get that...and if I point it out, it is not as much a criticism as it is an observation...

Overall, Oceania is an excellent product: Great itineraries, comfortable and uncrowded ships, great food...what is not to like? But, they are not the perfect cruise line for everyone--the young couple with two kids who like to stay up late and be entertained and dance the night away? Not for them...

Whenever I've reviewed cruises, I've tried to be fair more than anything else...

I don't feel I've ever been negative about Oceania...more honest...It is not the "perfect cruise line" for everybody...nothing is...I cannot see writing on this or any board and saying only that everything is always wonderful...

If someone is really looking for the elegant, quiet, laid back Oceania experience, I would want to encourage them that this is a good choice...If someone is looking for a bargain or looking for a "party ship" or looking for that all-around "family fun" cruise, I would want to be honest --which would likely discourage them...I do not think it's a question of "supporting" or "not supporting" a cruise line, it's a question of calling things as they are...pros and cons...

I agree with most of what Steve has said. My biggest "objection" to Oceania has been their significant increase in cost in recent years (untill the current downturn in economy). They offered a fantastic product from the beginning and continued to do so; but as prices increased (without change in the quality of product), other alternatives (i.e. luxury cruise lines) became more attractive. However, with the current incentives, they are very attractive again. I love just about everything that O does.

I only wish they could keep the cost down.

Amazing that FDR can say that the recession seems to be over.....tell that to the Employees at General Motors amongst others.

I guess that what really counts is not that the Ships are full but do they as a Company actually make profits................I really hope that O and the Parent Company are highly profitable as we have had 3 cruises with them and have thoroughly enjoyed our trips and hopefully will return when we find an itinerary we like.

Brian

If someone is really looking for the elegant, quiet, laid back Oceania experience, I would want to encourage them that this is a good choice...If someone is looking for a bargain or looking for a "party ship" or looking for that all-around "family fun" cruise, I would want to be honest --which would likely discourage them...I do not think it's a question of "supporting" or "not supporting" a cruise line, it's a question of calling things as they are...pros and cons...

Kind of stating the obvious Steve, that if someone wants an elegant Oceania experience, that they should travel on Oceania.

Brian

Hi Brian:

If you could design the perfect itinerary that would inspire you to cruise with us again, please tell me what it would be. If I like it, and actually include YOUR itinerary in our line-up, you'll receive, as your reward, a FREE Owners Suite on YOUR sailing.

Good Luck.

Ball is in your court!!

FDR

Hi Brian:

If you could design the perfect itinerary that would inspire you to cruise with us again, please tell me what it would be. If I like it, and actually include YOUR itinerary in our line-up, you'll receive, as your reward, a FREE Owners Suite on YOUR sailing.

Good Luck.

Ball is in your court!!

FDR

Wow Can anyone play??? :eek:

Lyn

Hi Frank

What an offer..............Do I actually need to list them in order of travel or those Med Locations that I would like to see as an ideal Cruise.

Seriously though I am sure it was a "tongue in cheek offer " and it certainly made me smile as I have enjoyed the OS on previous occasions and I can comfirm how much Jean and I enjoyed the comforts offered.

Hope to meet you on board again one day (remember that awful Pianist the last time) and I wish you and yours well.

Brian

Archived