What's the difference?

kathi316

I have read and read 'til my eyeballs are spinning --- so much I'm having trouble deciphering it all. So the question is this:

Packing with kids - I'm an expert at packing for land vacations (especially Disney) but what do you bring differently for a cruise. Things I just wouldn't think about because of the differences between land and sea.

Honestly, I don't pack any differently for my family whether on land or sea. I pack according to expected climate (but don't forget about air conditioning; it's always prudent to have a hoody or similar :)).

Disney is an excellent comparison, because when you go to the park, it's kind of like when you step off the ship in port. For instance, I always make sure we've got an assortment of packs to carry cameras, water bottles, sunscreen, etc. We generally take exactly the same in our packs whether we're going to a theme park for the day or a Caribbean island.

The only thing I throw in to my cruise suitcase that I probably wouldn't take on a land vacation is a highlighter, so we can go over the Kid's Crew activity sheet and highlight the activities my daughter wants to make sure she doesn't miss. :)

Oops! I just thought of something else I take on cruises that I rarely take on land vacations... formal wear. I do this purely by choice because I love dressing up and seeing my daughter dressed up. Depending on how strict the dress codes are on the line you're planning to cruise, this may or may not be a factor. On NCL, evening dining requires only 'resort casual', with 'nice' jeans being allowed in all but one dining venue. Other lines may have tighter restrictions - but all have buffets where you can dress casually if that is your choice. :)

I think the biggest difference between a cruise and a land vacation are the evenings on the ship and what type of attire is required. The daytime clothes should be similar but think through what the children will need for the dining room.

Keith

A couple of things that I pack for a cruise that I don't pack for land vacations is medications. Dimetapp, childrens motrin, childrens immodium and the like. We can get these things on board if we need them, but they are very highly priced. If we are on a land vacation we could just go to CVS or Rite Aid, but not on a cruise. Lessons learned!

I wouldn't pack any differently, either. When my kids were young, I routinely packed any medications that they were apt to need---kids always get sick in the middle of the night---who wants to try and find medications in a strange town in the middle of the night????

We pack more clothing for cruise vacations than the land-based ones. Why--? Because we ALWAYS change our clothes at night to go to dinner, as well as dress up for formal night. On a land-based vacation, you can "get away" with wearing the same clothing all day, into dinner.

Make sense?

CeleBrat

We pack more clothing for cruise vacations than the land-based ones...

This is a very true statement. However, we still keep our limit is still one bag and one carry on per family member. It's just a bigger bag!

We pack more clothing for cruise vacations than the land-based ones. Why--? Because we ALWAYS change our clothes at night to go to dinner, as well as dress up for formal night. On a land-based vacation, you can "get away" with wearing the same clothing all day, into dinner.

Make sense?

CeleBrat

I was afraid of this...I try really hard not to overpack, but sometimes I just can't help myself ;)

I have read and read 'til my eyeballs are spinning --- so much I'm having trouble deciphering it all. So the question is this:

Packing with kids - I'm an expert at packing for land vacations (especially Disney) but what do you bring differently for a cruise. Things I just wouldn't think about because of the differences between land and sea.

A few things to consider

1) Cruise ship will likely visit multiple ports: Need to pack for that consideration; varied conditions, beaches, water, jungle, etc.

2) Formal wear, likely less critical for the young ones, but nice clothes do add a touch.

3) Evenings on the ship can be cooler, windier. Remember the ship will be traveling thousdands of mile, weather changes a lot during that thousand miles. Also ship moves at ~ 30MPH, that is a lot of wind in the exposed area. Likely you won't get that at the pool etc.

4) Medication, sundries or other small snack or other items. There won't be a local walmart or 7-11 you can run to. All you got is the very expensive on ship store :eek:

I'm new to cruising, but we do WDW every year. Here are the items on my packing list for our upcoming Alaska cruise that I would not normally take to WDW:

Snacks that are individually packaged to take into port

Travel alarm clock

Insulated mugs

Dry earase board - so our teen can let us know where he is and vice versa

Passports

Formalwear

Binoculars

Alaska specific:

Waterproof shoes

Rain pants (we take rain jackets to WDW)

more fleece/layers/hats mittens

I think the main difference for packing depends on clothing - where you are cruising and what time of year, vs what time of year you travel to Disney.

Oddly, I'm surprised at how much of my "disney" stuff is going to alaska. We are taking our lanyards that we use for tickets/fastpasses for our seapass cards, we are taking one of our pressed penny canisters, plus all the other odds and ends that I've collected for a WDW resort trip that we'll use on the cruise, the pop up hamper, over the door shoe organizer, tippy cups and small container of dish soap, mini toys/activities, snacks, otc meds, etc. I'm a confirmed overpacker - hope for the best but plan for the worst. :)

The things I packed for our cruise that I didn't pack for our trips to Disney World included:

- Sippy cups

- Car seat (we drive to Disney, so always have a car seat there)

- Bungee cords (to attach said car seat to stroller while in ports)

- Travel AquaDoodle and travel magnetic play set for the dining room

- Band-Aids/Neosporin for boo-boos

My daughter is 3, though, so some of those items, like sippy cups, may not apply to you.

Archived