Help Needed for a Friend

AR 4030

Hi Thanks in advance for your help. A woman I work with wants to get married on a cruise ship. (Not in port). It will mostly likely be just the couple. Could someone please tell me, what cruise lines do this? How do you go about arranging it, How much & how do you pay the person who performs the marriage...etc....?

Thanks everyone for your help. If it matters, it will be a cruise leaving from the east coast.

I know Princess has a weding chapel on most of their shps. I think there is even a wedding cam there so people at home can watch over the internet.

It would probably be best if your friend talked to a travel agent that specializes in cruises.

If she want to contact Princess, it is Princess.com or 1-800-PRINCESS

Hi Thanks in advance for your help. A woman I work with wants to get married on a cruise ship. (Not in port). It will mostly likely be just the couple. Could someone please tell me, what cruise lines do this? How do you go about arranging it, How much & how do you pay the person who performs the marriage...etc....?

Thanks everyone for your help. If it matters, it will be a cruise leaving from the east coast.

Most cruise lines offer the service - I know RCI does. Your best bet is to have your friend check the cruies lines web sites for info - or better bet - contact the cruise lines directly to see what each individual line offers and the details of the arrangements. I wouldn't rely on blogs for the best info.

I think that there has been a wedding or two on every Carnival cruise that I have sailed on. I believe that they were held before sail away so that non-sailing guest could attend. Definetly they should contact the cruise line directly, do not depend on forum information for this, way too important.

Whether or not they can get married on the ship at sea will depend on whether they bring their own minister/chaplain...Whether or not the captain can marry couples depends on country of registry of the ship. EM

Make sure they know if they plan on being married AT one of the island ports, it may not happen. For various reasons sometimes a ship cannot make it into a port. Captains can no longer marry people for the most part anymore but some ships have pastors/preists/ministers who perform church services during the cruise. For all I know they could be passengers. On Costa they had Catholic services every day in a small chapel lead by a priest. I don't know how to find out about this but check with the cruise line.

Also let your friend know that a lot of details are taken away from her and he wedding coordinator does the planning.

Most all ships do weddings. My son was going to get married on the Carnival Liberty. Carnival only does 3 weddings per sailing--no more.

Depends on how many guests to what room you get--not necessarily will get married in the chapel.

It was cheap. the price for the wedding was 1500.00 for 25 guest. open bar for 2 hours. flowers,cake, official, ice sculpture, hordeserves, etc

Like a poster stated---go to the wedding honeymoon board to see other input - you can also find pictures there too

Here is a great Cruise Critic article on the subject:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4

If your friend wants to be married at sea, she is limited to Princess, Azamara and Celebrity. The other lines can marry her, but it has to be in a port, which you stated she does not want. Carnival can do weddings onboard, but only in a port, not at sea. (p.s. their limit is three per port day, not per sailing; but the day can only be a port day, including embarkation ;) )

My daughter got married on Freedom of the Seas while in the port of Miami. Just before sailing. This way family could attend then the couple stay on board for their honeymoon and everyone else leaves. If you want to marry on a sea day then it is Princess you want.

Here is a great Cruise Critic article on the subject:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4

If your friend wants to be married at sea, she is limited to Princess, Azamara and Celebrity. The other lines can marry her, but it has to be in a port, which you stated she does not want. Carnival can do weddings onboard, but only in a port, not at sea. (p.s. their limit is three per port day, not per sailing; but the day can only be a port day, including embarkation ;) )

for the Liberty we were told that carnival only marries onboard at the port of origin. They would not have been able to get married onboard at another port. I wonder now if we were told wrong information.

for the Liberty we were told that carnival only marries onboard at the port of origin. They would not have been able to get married onboard at another port. I wonder now if we were told wrong information.
That is probably correct info for the Liberty. Only the Spirit class ships have the wedding chapels needed for the port onboard ceremonies. So on other ships it would have to be shoreside ceremonies or onboard prior to departure.

Archived