Trying not to look like a tourist......

When people say Europeans don't wear shorts in the city, does this include all stypes of shorts? Are the knee high, dressy shorts okay? What about capris, do Europeans wear capris and are they acceptable for the Vatican City?

Thanks

Most European men rarely wear shorts or similar unless they are at a resort; in other words, not in a city like Rome. Women too are usually dressier -- you may see some "city shorts" but not things like casual shorts, cargo shorts, or casual (e.g., khaki) capris.

You will see plenty of tourists dressed more casually.

The Vatican only requires that knees and shoulders be covered. So capris that cover the knee are fine, shorts that do not cover the knee are not okay. Shorts that barely cover the knee I have seen turned away -- probably depends on the individual doing the checking, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We were in Rome last July so I'm sure most everyone were tourists. I can tell you no matter what we wore it wasn't a big deal at all (provided you know, you are decent, following rules for Vatican, etc) heck one lady put a MAP over her shoulders at the Vatican and it was fine. Not that I recommend that!

The lady we stayed with was local, she wore tank tops and cargo capri pants mostly. But since there were tourists everywhere, you pretty much fit in because most of them were in shorts and tank tops, etc, even in the restaurants. No one cared or was concerned. No one comes up to you and laughs and points OMG tourist.

No one seemed to care or be concerned, guess locals would be used to tourists. Before I went, I read up a lot on "how to dress" to fit in, be like the Italians, etc. Once there it didn't really matter, like I said as long as you were offensive like showing your thong and buttcrack or giant holes in your clothes, or topless or see-through, it didn't seem to matter and everyone pretty much looked like they did in any other country I've been, including the states.

One thing I was told was, most women wear things like heels and blouses so I worried I should too, but NO one was wearing things like that!

I saw a LOT of tennis shoes, sandals, (not flip flops) cargo pants and shorts, LOTS of shorts that hit above the knee, that is what I saw on most men too. T-shirts and tank tops, or sleeveless shirts. And YEAH maybe they were all tourists sure, but they fit in just fine.

First I wanted to say that in almost any city where you travel around the world you will look like a tourist if you are visiting. If I go to a USA city on a weekday and am on vacation I will probably look like a tourist if I am not in business attire. If you have things such as a camera in your hand you will look like a tourist. In the end most of us are tourists from time to time. The Europeans are as well and when they go places they look like tourists. So, I reallly would not worry about it.

Carpris are fine at the Vatican. Before Capris became popular many women, including tourists, would wear long skirts but now most wear the capris.

Keith

You will look like a tourist--but I have never been taken for an American. We don't wear shorts in a city--like Paris or Rome, we also don't wear shorts in NYC.

Oh yes--and I color my hair "European red" before I go....and I must be a bit assertive because usually people start to speak to me in French, when I fumble with my French to say I speak English they usually pick British, but never pick the country in which I am at the moment--so yes I look like some type of tourist.

That's a lot of good information - thanks everyone! After reading all the posts regarding pick pockets etc. I just was a little concern looking too much like a tourist will be a disadvantage. I also didn't want to offend anybody. I generally like to give as much respect as possible to any place that I visit.

:)

No matter what you wear, they will still know you are a tourist and not a local! Why bother? Enjoy yourself, be comfortable and have fun!

I agree! There is way too much talk about "not looking like a tourist". Fact is, locals know who is a tourist regardless of what they wear or what they do for several reasons.

- You don't speak the language

- Your using a map to get around

- Your taking pictures of everything

Not to mention...there is just a sixth sense people have about who belongs and who doesn't. I live in a very touristy city and I can spot a tourist a mile away becasue there is an intangible difference between them and me. I don't hold it against them or look differently upon them for dressing different. It is what it is...

Personally, I'll be in Italy and Greece in July/August and plan on wearing shorts almost every day, with the excpetion of churches and so on. It will be hotter than you know what and I plan on enjoying myself, not overheating and being miserable.

Living in FL,. I see my fair share of tourists. You can just tell, doesn't matter how much you try and cover it up ;)

I wonder if the Europeans worry about looking like Americans when they come here?

Very interesting question. I don't believe we want to look Europeans, at least for me that is not the reason. I believe we just don't want to get single out by pick pocketers and purse snatchers etc. Afterall who would want their wallet stolen while on vacation. As for Europeans worry about looking like Americans, I'm not so sure they have that pressure, but it will be very interesting to find out.

Very interesting question. I don't believe we want to look Europeans, at least for me that is not the reason. I believe we just don't want to get single out by pick pocketers and purse snatchers etc. Afterall who would want their wallet stolen while on vacation. As for Europeans worry about looking like Americans, I'm not so sure they have that pressure, but it will be very interesting to find out.

Pick-pockets are equal opportunity entrepreneurs. Safeguard your valuables and don't get pre-occupied with other matters when you are in crowded areas and you'll be fine. Walking around with a map and a camera, and that dazed look of wonderment on your face label you as a tourist, regardless of your dress.

I kept a few Euros in my pocket, and passports in the other, and the rest of the cash and credit cards in a money belt. Since I was wearing long trousers anyway, I strapped the money belt around my leg, just below the knee. I found that to be more comfortable than around the waist.

The one thing you should not wear out in public are sweatpants- kinda the equivalent of going out in public in your pajamas here. (Yes, I know some people do it anyway.)

If you are going over the summer, there will be all kinds of tourists there- American, European, etc. They'll all look a little different, except for the camera, map, and dazed look.

Actually in Europe, I had been mistaken for being European many times. In Spain, they thought I was Italian (I do speak some Spanish but didn't know it was with an Italian accent). In Italy and northern Europe, they thought I was French (till I started talking).

Actually in Europe, I had been mistaken for being European many times. In Spain, they thought I was Italian (I do speak some Spanish but didn't know it was with an Italian accent). In Italy and northern Europe, they thought I was French (till I started talking).

I've been mistaken for an Italian in Italy (maybe I've been there enough that I've lost the "dazed" look) and as a German or Scandinavian in many places (due to my coloring). Usually not identified as American until I start talking! :D

In our experience, the Europeans that live in the city you are visiting will not likely be wearing shorts, but visitors to the same city, regardless of where they are from may be wearing shorts depending on weather and what sites are being visited. When we were in line at the Palatine Hill for tickets in Rome just last month, it was a warm day, the group behind us was speaking German and were all wearing shorts. The fact is, you will look like a tourist almost anywhere you go, where you look like you are from is another story.

I have also been mistaken as many different nationalities until I speak.

For most churches acceptable dress is generally shoulders, midriff and knees covered. Sandals are fine as well.

Even more importantly than not dressing improperly is the way one acts. Fortunately, most of us do try to act in a pleasant, respectful manner while travelling. Unfortunately, there are a few who are clueless and reinforce the negative image of loud, know-it-all-Amercians. One of the greatest "tourist" compliments we've been given was while eating dinner in France. Near the end of our meal a Belgian couple sitting at the (very close) table next to us told us that we had changed their attitude toward Americans.

I purchased book called Behave Yourself by Michael Powell a few years ago. It covers major toursit destinations and gives helpful information about what the locals do. Some of the categories are "Meeting and Greeting", "Conversation", "Eating and Drinking", "Out and About", "Dress", and "Gifts and Tips".

You will look like a tourist--but I have never been taken for an American. We don't wear shorts in a city--like Paris or Rome, we also don't wear shorts in NYC.

Oh yes--and I color my hair "European red" before I go....and I must be a bit assertive because usually people start to speak to me in French, when I fumble with my French to say I speak English they usually pick British, but never pick the country in which I am at the moment--so yes I look like some type of tourist.

Hi, mountainmare. I wasn't sure how to contact you, but I saw your review of Lisbon and you mentioned Obidos. We're on the Norwegian Jade in July and Lisbon is one of our ports. How far from Lisbon is Obidos? Is it easy to get to? Thanks for any info!

---Susan

A word about dress in Italy. While casual dress is just fine, Italians are conservative about how they dress when entering a church, especially outside of the big cities. Since much of the best art is inside of churches, please keep this in mind. Although you'll be heading to church to see the sites, others will be there for prayer. By all means be comfortable, but be respectful, too.

Beechnative...you are so very correct. Sometimes when we are travelling we get the distinct impression that some people speak loudly because for some odd reason they want the locals, and everyone else in the vicinity to know who they are and where they come from. Fact is no one cares, no one is impressed-in fact the opposite is true. Very odd. You are right, this is a huge turn off for the locals.

Archived