Celebrity Summit Vs. Holland Veendam for Bermuda cruise

NicoleAbbate

Hello everyone,

I am a 3 time celebrity cruiser, I am looking into booking a bermuda cruise for my 30th Birthday July 2010

Both cruises are for the july 25th 2010 sailing

The celebrity cruise is docked at the navel yard for 3 days

while the holland line is docked at st. george and hamilton.

I have have usually done a Concierge class room and was thinking about doing a sky suite this time.

Or on the Holland ship doing the verandah suite.

I am just looking for other people's opinions, both cruises i will be at sea for my 30th bday, which is what i would love, pretend like the day does not exist lol.

So if anyone could share their personal experience i would appreciate it

Our last five cruises have been on the VOlendam, Veendam, Volendam, Connie and the COnnie again. On each of these cruises we had either a minisuite or a CC cabin.

We thoroughly enjoyed each of these cruises but there is a rason why HAL vessels are sometimes jokingly referred to as the Geritolendam. As very active 50's people we definitely did not fit the typical demoigraphic for each of the three HAL cruises we were on. Perhaps this was due to the length of the HAL cruises (10-14 days) or the time of year in which we cruised but the HAL cruises definitely had an older crowd. Yes, there were SOME younger people on the HAL voyages but remeber I am talking averages here.

On our Celebrity cruises (taken the same time of year as out HAL cruises) the crowd is much younger and much more active. There was more nightlife on Celebrity and we liked the entertainment a little better.

As I said earlier we enjoyed all of the cruises but we like Celebrity enough betterthat we haven't considered another HAL cruise after trying the Connie. As a counterpoint I will tell you that I would rate the VOlendam as the most beautiful ship we have been on and the Veendam the second. Still we would rather have a younger and livelier crowd.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy that 30th afloat no matter which line you choose.:)

Our last five cruises have been on the VOlendam, Veendam, Volendam, Connie and the COnnie again. On each of these cruises we had either a minisuite or a CC cabin.

We thoroughly enjoyed each of these cruises but there is a rason why HAL vessels are sometimes jokingly referred to as the Geritolendam. As very active 50's people we definitely did not fit the typical demoigraphic for each of the three HAL cruises we were on. Perhaps this was due to the length of the HAL cruises (10-14 days) or the time of year in which we cruised but the HAL cruises definitely had an older crowd. Yes, there were SOME younger people on the HAL voyages but remeber I am talking averages here.

On our Celebrity cruises (taken the same time of year as out HAL cruises) the crowd is much younger and much more active. There was more nightlife on Celebrity and we liked the entertainment a little better.

As I said earlier we enjoyed all of the cruises but we like Celebrity enough betterthat we haven't considered another HAL cruise after trying the Connie. As a counterpoint I will tell you that I would rate the VOlendam as the most beautiful ship we have been on and the Veendam the second. Still we would rather have a younger and livelier crowd.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy that 30th afloat no matter which line you choose.:)

I would generally agree with that assessment with the possible exception that the 7 days to Bermuda often carry a wholly different demographic. After all, this was the only time we were ever awakened by drunks at 3 AM, and that was twice, both times on Celebrity.

thank you for the responses, the age of the crowd is not a huge concern, we usually keep to ourselves on the ship.

Things that we are interested in is how does the food compare, entertainment (shows), Service, how are the room stewards, does hal over butler service in their suites? Can i get breakfast (eggs benedict) on my balcony on HAL?

Does HAL have any specialty restaurants?

I remember the Connie had oceanliners, what does the summit have?

Also how does the spa compare? We use the SPA alot, usually we get 4 massages each on a one week cruise

TIA

HAPPY EARLY 30th! What a great way to spend your special day.

We've sailed almost all Celebrity ships, including Summit twice. We've sailed HAL once and it was on Veendam.

We loved Summit but both cruises were the year she began sailing so it was some time ago. So if you've been on an M-class ship, you've been on Summit. They are all basically the same. Some decorating differences but essentially the same. Summit has a wonderful specialty restaurant...Normandie. It was our first specialty dining on a ship and it was memorable. You'd love it.

We loved Veendam for different reasons. We like smaller ships. She was VERY comfortable. I thought their buffet was the best of any ship we had been on (we sailed her two years ago). I found the staff and passengers very friendly and helpful. The food was good (they have a specialty restaurant but I don't recall it....my family says it was good). We loved the piano lounge (Laree is back on board I understand). It just had a nice feel to it.

To me, most spas on ships are the same. I usually visit the spa once a cruise. I've never had a bad spa experience that I can recall.

Don't know that I've provided much info but I'm guessing you'd have a good time on either ship. Haven't been to Bermuda so I can't offer any thoughts on the docking areas. Have a great time and HAPPY 30th again!

Congrats on your 30th next year, oh to be that young again. I've sailed on Celebrity and HAL and while they are different, I've enjoyed them both.

Holland America does not offer butler service in any of their suites to my knowledge; but they do have what they call the Neptune lounge for the top suite catagories.

The specialty restaurant on HAL is called the Pinnacle Grill - great steaks and seafood.

The service on HAL is different than on X, but wonderful; the Phillipino and Indonesian crew are great.

We have always been able to order eggs benedict from room service - it's not on the menu but if you write it in you should be able to get it.

Almost all of the spas at sea are operated by Steiner and like Host Anne, I find them to be pretty much interchangeable.

The Veendam is just coming out of drydock with some major changes, she should be in pretty good shape. HAL beds are spectacular and there are fresh flowers all over the ship.

I think the food on X is better than on HAL, but that's such a subjective thing.

HAL passengers tend to be older and very traditional, while I find that the pax on X are a livelier bunch, at least that has been my experience. We have found that the HAL ships we have been on are pretty much zipped up tight by midnight, sometimes by 10 p.m.!

I hope I have answered some of your questions, although I can only speak of my own experiences I think you will have a wonderful time on either line.

Hello everyone,

I am a 3 time celebrity cruiser, I am looking into booking a bermuda cruise for my 30th Birthday July 2010

I have have usually done a Concierge class room and was thinking about doing a sky suite this time.

I am just looking for other people's opinions, both cruises i will be at sea for my 30th bday, which is what i would love, pretend like the day does not exist lol.

Greetings: If you are happy with Celebrity then why go with a different cruise line? Next year I will be sailing to Bermuda on Celebrity Cruise Line. I have never cruised on the Summit before. My wife and I are both looking forward to it.

Please, please choose the Summit! If for no other reason other than the condition of the two ships. I'm sure the cosmetic appearance of both are similar but the behind the scenes mechanical issues that you don't see are vastly different. I know from whenst I speak - I was a pier agent in Tampa for several seasons for HAL.

I've spent 21 days on the Veendam - the first seven days were great but that was also 6 years ago. The next time was two years ago on a 14 day Atlantic coast cruise and it's a different story. We changed cabins three times - twice for AC problems and once for sewer smell. I thought after the recent dry dock that many of the problems would have been resolved. Apparently not - after reading many of the recent posts from those that have cruised on the Veendam since it has been out of dry dock. For some reason it appears Holland is "band aiding" a lot of the mechanical issues instead of replacing the worn out systems. Food is subjective, but IMHO Holland has slipped way below X in recent years.

We had booked Celebrity Summit for Bermuda - Sept 5, 2010, but after we saw that the Veendam would give us an extra day in Bermuda, we just switched and booked HAL for Oct 3, 2010. I love Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and have never sailed HAL - but we couldn't pass up gaining the extra time in Bermuda; that's what swayed us. Since the Veendam is an older ship, I'm sure she has some problems, but I'm hoping that by next year, things will be AOK. Again, had Celebrity offered one day at sea going and coming, instead of 2 days at sea going, we would have stayed with the Summit. However, losing a day at sea and gaining the day in Bermuda I think is worth switching. Also, we preferred being able to be in both Hamilton and St. George instead of at the Dock Yard, which actually is nice over there, but makes it a little more difficult to get to town. The ferries are fast, but the lines are long!! I do like the snorkel park they built at the Dock Yard!!

Marge

We booked Summit for Labor day 2010, not knowing about the HAL option but to me I'd prefer not to change berths on the same island...We have vacationed on the other end of Bermuda, so staying at the Dockyard is fine with us.

We have never cruised from Bayonne so we'll see how that goes. It is easier for us to get a Limo into NYC from Long Island so we'll have to drive to Bayonne..other than that--can't really say what is better since we never sailed on the HAL ship. We have been on Summit twice already but not recently ... & have been happy with Celebrity !

Happy B-Day Nicole--( I think your DH & mine are cousins....just based on your last name & Massapequa!)

Hello everyone,

Greetings NicoleAbbate: I read in the newspaper here in the Big Apple that Bermuda is now host to Moslem terrorists that were taken off the battlefield by U.S. forces. Now, the question is for safety concern, these people hate The United States of America, do you think it would be wise to go there? I was thinking of going next year to Bermuda, second time, but, now am considering other cruises.

Greetings NicoleAbbate: I read in the newspaper here in the Big Apple that Bermuda is now host to Moslem terrorists that were taken off the battlefield by U.S. forces. Now, the question is for safety concern, these people hate The United States of America, do you think it would be wise to go there? I was thinking of going next year to Bermuda, second time, but, now am considering other cruises.

Do you know if they will be monitored?

(PS to Nicole--we are not related. Our relatives live further east on LI!)

We've cruised to Bermuda 4 times in the last few years. No contest: St. George and Hamilton beats out the Dockyards hands down.

True.

However, you can EASILY get to all parts of the island on moped and the HAL cruise is 3x MORE than the Summit cruise. I booked both and then researched them...cancelled the HAL (they had no fixed seating available, nor could I choose a cabin, only guarantee) AND they were 3x the price of Summit, where I was able to get fixed seating and choose an AMAZING cc cabin - one of the sweet 16s.

So, if parking in Hamilton is worth all that money to you, go for it. Not me:cool:

We booked Summit for Labor day 2010, not knowing about the HAL option but to me I'd prefer not to change berths on the same island...We have vacationed on the other end of Bermuda, so staying at the Dockyard is fine with us.

We have never cruised from Bayonne so we'll see how that goes. It is easier for us to get a Limo into NYC from Long Island so we'll have to drive to Bayonne..other than that--can't really say what is better since we never sailed on the HAL ship. We have been on Summit twice already but not recently ... & have been happy with Celebrity !

Happy B-Day Nicole--( I think your DH & mine are cousins....just based on your last name & Massapequa!)

Just curious. Why would you be against changing berths in bermuda?

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to choose your cabin on HAL. We have our cabin number already, and late dining; though to get an assigned cabin, we had to make the full down payment. We ended up paying less than the Summit cruise for the same type cabin. Also our TA told us if we want to sit with friends who may be cruising the same time, just give him their booking number and they will link us together for dining, so apparently there is fixed dining available.

I live in the Mid-Hudson Valley in New York and have never heard anything about Bermuda hosting Muslim terrorists. This will be our 6th time back to Bermuda and it has always been one of the safest islands you can go to. Last year we did a 12-day cruise to the southern Caribbean and I was very much more in fear on some of those islands!! We've always felt very safe in Bermuda.

As far as HAL having mostly a geriatric clientele, I don't think that would be true for a Bermuda cruise. My TA did say that the last HAL cruise they were on (which was a 12-14 day one), was primarily people over 70, but I think Bermuda would be a different story. We may fall into the "retired" category, but definitely not retired mentally or physically.

Anyway, these are just my opinions; we're going to try out HAL this time. Gaining that extra day in Bermuda is still the motivating factor. To me, the ship is my mode of transportation and spending more time in Bermuda is the ultimate goal.

Hi Marge- As you know, we cruised on HAL last year & they had fixed dining times & also anytime dining, your choice. We did sit with people we knew -they linked us up, no problem. John did hear on the news that the prisoners from Cuba were sent to a prison in Bermuda. Don't know how long they will be there. As long as they are in prison, who cares. No threat to anyone. I agree that Bermuda has always been one of my favorite Islands & one of the safest. I cruised with my teenager daughter a number of years ago & we both felt perfectly safe touring the Island on our own.

Hi Pat - fancy meeting you here!!! ;) Thanks for your backup. I hadn't heard anything about terrorists being held there, but as you say, if they're in prison who cares!! We're still hoping you and John, and Lola and David, might be able to join us on our cruise next year, though I know you said you probably had other things in the oven. Ya never know, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. Talk to you soon,

Marge

True.

However, you can EASILY get to all parts of the island on moped and the HAL cruise is 3x MORE than the Summit cruise. I booked both and then researched them...cancelled the HAL (they had no fixed seating available, nor could I choose a cabin, only guarantee) AND they were 3x the price of Summit, where I was able to get fixed seating and choose an AMAZING cc cabin - one of the sweet 16s.

So, if parking in Hamilton is worth all that money to you, go for it. Not me:cool:

Veronica:

I respect your opinion but for someone not familiar with using a moped, the last thing I would do is use one in Bermuda. I know they are very popular but their bus drivers leave a bit to be desired and the roads are narrow and twisting. If you talk to employees of the cruise line they will tell you that on almost every cruise someone is injured on a moped and it is rare to go a full season in Bermuda without a fatality.

If the prices were somewhat close I would definitely go with HAL because the ports are hands down a winner. If price is significently different, that is a tough decision.

Hi Pat - fancy meeting you here!!! ;) Thanks for your backup. I hadn't heard anything about terrorists being held there, but as you say, if they're in prison who cares!! We're still hoping you and John, and Lola and David, might be able to join us on our cruise next year, though I know you said you probably had other things in the oven. Ya never know, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. Talk to you soon,

Marge

They are not and have not been in a prison in Bermuda, they are living together at a beach house and plan to open a restaurant.

Archived