Dining w/Captain or just on TV

happylady

You pretty much need to know the Captain or his staff who often eat with him. We were next to the Captain's table when we went on the Spirit to Alaska. Some nights no one was there and other nights the Captain and his Family along with the ships Doctor and Engineer were there as well. At first, we didn't like our table location but when the waiter informed us that we were her ONLY table as she was in charge of the Captain's table we stayed put. Best service in the dinning room we have ever had!

I've been wondering if anyone gets invited to dine with the Captain or is that only on TV?:rolleyes:
I dunno... he's supposed to be driving the boat and tooting the horn when necessary. I think he should just order room service (and be sure to tip).

I dunno... he's supposed to be driving the boat and tooting the horn when necessary. I think he should just order room service (and be sure to tip).

Thought they used autopilot??? :eek:

On my honeymoon last year we dined at the Captain's table on formal night; this was on the Celebrity Century. However, we did not dine with the captain, but with the Hotel Director, who was a wonderful, interesting man.

I'm not sure how we were picked except perhaps because it was our honeymoon and b/c we were in a suite? We were also invited on a tour of the bridge, good times! :)

it is possible, though difficult to come by. the home office in miami selects the passengers that are selected to dine with the captain. john posted that fact to his blog maybe about a week ago.

most often, they're one sort of VIP or another... a passenger that has cruised say 25 times, or a travel agent that refers a lot of cruisers to carnival, or perhaps a business associate, tour group leader, or i'd think maybe even a carnival management type person on a cruise.

doesn't happen often - but it does happen. i've read a few members here on cc who have been invited to dine with the captain.

My husband I dined with the Captain once. I wrote a letter to him and gave it to the front desk. Asking if my husband and I could dine with him. I gave it a 90% chance he wouldn't invite us. But at diner the Matride came up to us ask said the captain would like us to dine with him :eek:. I was supprised the letter work. About 6 other guessed were there. Some didn't know why they got invited.

It was fun.

On my very first cruise ever in 1996 (on RCCL) we (the now ex wife, but not then) dined with the captain. As far as I was concerned it was just luck. We arrived at our assigned seating. The Matre De (however you spell it....too lazy to spell check) came to our table just as we were seated and said we were asked to join the Captain for dinner.

Anyway, we did it. It was cool I guess, but nothing too special either. We all ate form the same menu. Only perk was free wine (I guess he ordered it???) and I asked him a few questions.

I would imagine they would have been better off giving the "honor" to someone else that would have appreciated it more. Don't get me wrong, it was fine, but I'm just not really that into stuff like that.

Out of many cruises, we've only been invited to the Captain's table once on a Regent Mariner cruise in Alaska. The captain was French and I speak a little, so we got along great! I think it happened because we were friendly with another crew member and he arranged it. Anyway, better wine!

Elena

Me and my friend were invited to dine with the captain on the Paradise a few years back. The service was the best we have ever had and the wine was really flowing at that dinner! ( The Captain didn't drink any though):) He was on duty!

The Matre' D told us that he set it up for us. I'm not sure if he was looking for an extra tip or what!;)

On my honeymoon last year we dined at the Captain's table on formal night; this was on the Celebrity Century. However, we did not dine with the captain, but with the Hotel Director, who was a wonderful, interesting man.

I'm not sure how we were picked except perhaps because it was our honeymoon and b/c we were in a suite? We were also invited on a tour of the bridge, good times! :)

Celebrity must have a "package deal" lol, because on our 2007 Alaska cruise on Mercury we had the same deal. Dinner with the 1st officer and a tour of the bridge with the captain. Very,very cool. Dinner was the same, but the service was even better, wine was included and all the women received a long stem rose from the officer. We all also got an 8x10 picture of the table. We totally had no idea how we got picked for any of it but we certainly enjoyed :)

it is possible, though difficult to come by. the home office in miami selects the passengers that are selected to dine with the captain. john posted that fact to his blog maybe about a week ago.

most often, they're one sort of VIP or another... a passenger that has cruised say 25 times, or a travel agent that refers a lot of cruisers to carnival, or perhaps a business associate, tour group leader, or i'd think maybe even a carnival management type person on a cruise.

doesn't happen often - but it does happen. i've read a few members here on cc who have been invited to dine with the captain.

Not necessarily the case... I've dined with the Captain twice and I'm sure there was no input from Miami.

Without doubt, there ARE people who are recommended to the ship to dine with the Captain but that's not the only factor. I know that decisions are made on board and for a variety of reasons...

:)

I have dined w/Capt and staff on formal night..or in his private staff DR...w/3-4 diff Capts..the MD hunts me down, or sees me 1st day, or calls..and then there is an invite under my door..The "boyz" just seem to like my company..or is it my nice table manners?? also some time back..it was just cuz , I guess..but still...it is a great dining expierence, with interesting conversations..many subjects, and I get to speak Italian..come to find out..we know alot of cruze line employees from other lines, of waves gone by..even the Big Kahuna of CCL's entertainment, and another longtime-er in Miami. lots of nice pics, and free flowing wine!

Who wants to eat with the help? :D
Ah my son...it makes the little people feel so special. ;)

I just hope they know how to handle their knives and forks properly

..and not ask the poor man idiot questions like...Who's steering the ship?

(like Captains ever put a hand to the joystick,these days) :cool:

Ah my son...it makes the little people feel so special. ;)

I just hope they know how to handle their knives and forks properly

..and not ask the poor man idiot questions like...Who's steering the ship?

(like Captains ever put a hand to the joystick,these days) :cool:

This 'little person' found it to be tremendous fun.

In both cases the Captains were gracious and outgoing. Certainly, that's part of the job description but it's a nice thing none the less.

Celebrity must have a "package deal" lol, because on our 2007 Alaska cruise on Mercury we had the same deal. Dinner with the 1st officer and a tour of the bridge with the captain. Very,very cool. Dinner was the same, but the service was even better, wine was included and all the women received a long stem rose from the officer. We all also got an 8x10 picture of the table. We totally had no idea how we got picked for any of it but we certainly enjoyed :)

Our one and only dinner at the Captains table was also on Celebrities Century.

I've been wondering if anyone gets invited to dine with the Captain or is that only on TV?:rolleyes:

Depends on the ship and the line. On our spring cruise we dined with the captain on two different nights and had lunch with him once or twice too, BUT it was not on Carnival or one of the other mass market lines.

We weren't invited to dine with the captain but...on the Carnival Southern Caribbean cruise that we took last month, we were standing against the wall during the Captain's Party with our three children, waiting for him to come in and be introduced. We thought the kids would enjoy seeing him. The captain, a very stately, white haired Italian man, came in and stood in front of us. Our four year old daughter stepped up and stood beside him, reached up and took his hand, held it and even started swinging it a bit. He was pretty startled but then asked her what her name is and talked to her a bit, all while still holding her hand. I'm sure this was out of his "comfort zone" but he handled it quite nicely. Not many can say they've held hands with the captain. :)

I sat at the Captain's Table just this past week on the Carnival Legend. I actually got 6 of us invitations. It is tricky and a little hard to get an invitation. With the help of a friend, it took me about 3 days to get one. I've attached photo. I'm the one sitting to the Captain's right dressed in Black. We also had several from the Senior staff sit with us as well.

171324740_CaptTable.jpg.2aff1b9d4eea357f6f09c0afe652c5a2.jpg

1824287817_Capttable1.jpg.53a898fc1bdb1ea306c17b3f7ef23cab.jpg

This 'little person' found it to be tremendous fun.

In both cases the Captains were gracious and outgoing. Certainly, that's part of the job description but it's a nice thing none the less.

We have not had the opportunity to do this. We have discussed how it would be (to dine with the caption) a fair amount. Thought that part of the reason we may not have been asked was because we travel with groups almost all the time. Mach, you dispel that thought as I think you travel mainly with a group as well.

Not to steal the thread, but we have found that some captions (especially Alaskan cruises for some reason) are much more outgoing than most. See them around on the ship chatting and talking. Any others notice things like that?

We have not had the opportunity to do this. We have discussed how it would be (to dine with the caption) a fair amount. Thought that part of the reason we may not have been asked was because we travel with groups almost all the time. Mach, you dispel that thought as I think you travel mainly with a group as well.

Not to steal the thread, but we have found that some captions (especially Alaskan cruises for some reason) are much more outgoing than most. See them around on the ship chatting and talking. Any others notice things like that?

The most approachable, outgoing Captain I've met is Massimo Marino. I'd be wandering about the ship and he'd make a point of asking how things were going.

He startled me a tad once when he came up behind me, put his hand on my shoulder and said hello...

Archived